Rome by night? (and Sunday morning)

tjljsc

So we arrive in Rome at 6:45pm on Saturday. Obviously, many things will be closed by then, but what would be a good night tour itinerary? We prefer to save money and do things on our own.

Also, what would be a good Sunday morning itinerary? Our ship sails at 5pm, so I'm assuming we need to take the 1pm train in order to make sure we're onboard in time. I'm expecting that we'll be up early due to jet lag, so we should be able to pack in a good amount of touring before we head to the ship.

To give you an idea of our interests in Rome, we'd like to see the Spanish Steps, Colloseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, and Pantheon. We're open to other "must see" sights, too, and I'm totally fine with the idea of just stopping to say we've seen it vs spending enough time to really do a place justice. I firmly believe we'll be back, so would be ok with just a "get a feel for th place" kind of stop for most sites.

Thanks!

The Saturday night will be perfect for a nice "giro", a walk around the city. Of the places you want to see the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Pantheon (from the outside only of course) make a great itinerary. You might also like to include the Piazza Novonna which is very close by. All along the walk you will find many restaurants, bars and opportunities to enjoy a Roman night.

In the morning you could visit Colloseum and the Roman Forum.

From you post it does look like you are not interest at all in churches or religious events. If you are: The major churches, including St. Peter, are beautifully illuminated at night. You could see them both in the evening or in the morning. At 12 noon on Sundays the Holy Father prays and speak over St. Peter's square.

So we arrive in Rome at 6:45pm on Saturday. Obviously, many things will be closed by then, but what would be a good night tour itinerary? We prefer to save money and do things on our own.

Also, what would be a good Sunday morning itinerary? Our ship sails at 5pm, so I'm assuming we need to take the 1pm train in order to make sure we're onboard in time. I'm expecting that we'll be up early due to jet lag, so we should be able to pack in a good amount of touring before we head to the ship.

To give you an idea of our interests in Rome, we'd like to see the Spanish Steps, Colloseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, and Pantheon. We're open to other "must see" sights, too, and I'm totally fine with the idea of just stopping to say we've seen it vs spending enough time to really do a place justice. I firmly believe we'll be back, so would be ok with just a "get a feel for th place" kind of stop for most sites.

Thanks!

On Saturday night take the steps up Capitoline Hill, behind the Victor Emanuel bldg, walk thru the plaza and take the path on the right side. You will wind up above the Forum looking down at it (lit up beautifully) with the Colloseum in the background. From there it's about a 10 minute walk to the Trevi. May want to have dinner near Piazza Navona as it is beautiful and very lively at night. In this way you at least get to see the places on your list.

Not sure about situation on a Sunday but the Basillica is a must see! From there you have time to see the Panthenon, outdoor maket at Campiori(?), if open on Sunday. Just walk around and suck up the atmosphere. Stop into a church or two and admire the beauty.

You really don't have enough time to do much more.

Rick Steves has an excellent evening walking tour in his Rome book, perfect for DIYers. If I recall, the path takes you by Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps, all places that show up to nice effect in the evening.

I would save the Colosseum and Forum for the next morning. They open fairly early (and the earlier you go, the fewer crowds you'll find).

Definitely the Trevi Fountain at night!!! Make sure to throw in your coin to help make sure you get back. For Spanish Steps, if you don't plan on shopping, going by there at night as well is fine. Both of those and the Pantheon are all very close together and Piazza Navona is close by as well, that's nice in the evenings too. The Pantheon is usually only open until 7:30 or so, I think, but we think its also pretty at night from the outside, going inside is always a must for us when it is open. St. Peter's Square at night is uncrowded and very pretty. We slept in late our first day in Rome, combo of jetlag and lack of sleep on the flight over, but we were raring to go once we got going and had no more issues with it. A lot will really depend on how you feel that night, even grabbing a taxi and doing a drive by of St. Peter's Square, the Colosseum and the Victor Emanuel Monuments at night is nice if you aren't up to walking. We tend to walk everywhere in Rome....

By "arrive in Rome at 6:45pm", do you mean your flight arrives in Rome, or you will be in the city by no later than 6:45 pm? Remember that Fiumicino is at least 45 minutes outside of the city and you need time to check into your hotel, etc.

If you have already eaten and are indeed ready to tour by 6:45pm, I'd try to cover most of the following by foot: Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and Colisseum/Forum in one (long) evening. Walking all the way from 1 mile west of the Vatican on Via Aurelia, my wife and I did must of this after our first evening arrival into Rome over ten years ago. We were too "jacked up" to sleep and got really ambitious--so it can be done!

On Sunday morning, assuming you are already staying downtown, go see whatever you missed from Saturday night and make sure to allow time for St. Peter's square and the basilica. This really is a "must see" you don't have on your short list. Unfortunately, the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel will be closed on the Sunday you visit.

And remember to allow a 1 1/2 to 2 hours for your transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia so I'd suggest you leave downtown around noon at the latest.

Does anyone have good walking directions fom Piazza Navona to the Trevi Fountain?

Thank you.

Follow the yellow brick road! Seriously (at least two years ago) there were colored bricks you could follow from Piazza Navona to the Trevi Fountain.

Follow the yellow brick road! Seriously (at least two years ago) there were colored bricks you could follow from Piazza Navona to the Trevi Fountain.
This is tough to do even with ample daylight because there is so much to see and it's a distraction to constantly be looking down. At night, it's even more difficult! :p

this is tough to do even with ample daylight because there is so much to see and it's a distraction to constantly be looking down. At night, it's even more difficult! :p

LOL! The bricks really do stand out from the rest of the pavement, a pretty straight shot to the East!

Thanks. We'll look for them.

I also went and checked out Google maps/walking directions. That was just to easy. DH came home and started looking at walking directions for each of our ports.

Thank you all again and happy cruising!

We're taking a twilight walking tour that starts at the Spanish Steps and ends at The Capitoline Hill.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to our hotel near Via Vento, if we're too tired to walk back.

Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Mari

We're taking a twilight walking tour that starts at the Spanish Steps and ends at The Capitoline Hill.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to our hotel near Via Vento, if we're too tired to walk back.

Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Mari

I think you probably mean the Via Veneto? Depending on the hour, you shouldn't have any trouble hailing a cab to get back to your hotel. However, if you're already sure you can't cover the 4+ km walk roundtrip, consider taking the cab from your hotel to the Capitoline Hill and do your walking tour in reverse. Then you'll end the tour at the Spanish Steps (close to your hotel).

DH and I are hoping to take the free guided tour of the Pantheon at 7pm tomorrow night - we get into Rome about 2pm and want to stay awake! I found out about the free tour - look for the guides holding large umbrellas - when I spotted "free things to do in Rome" on some website.

But thanks to these posts, I hadn't thought of also taking in the illuminated sites that night as well, so thank you!

I think you probably mean the Via Veneto? Depending on the hour, you shouldn't have any trouble hailing a cab to get back to your hotel. However, if you're already sure you can't cover the 4+ km walk roundtrip, consider taking the cab from your hotel to the Capitoline Hill and do your walking tour in reverse. Then you'll end the tour at the Spanish Steps (close to your hotel).

Yes, I meant The Grand Flora on Via Veneto.

The tour is with Through Eternity Cultural Association. It begins at the Spanish Steps. The tour begins at 19:00 and ends at 21:30.

I'm more concerned about finding our way back than the actual walking. Of course jet lag maybe taking its hold by then, so it would be good to know we can get a taxi if needed.

Thanks,

Mari

Yes, I meant The Grand Flora on Via Veneto.

The tour is with Through Eternity Cultural Association. It begins at the Spanish Steps. The tour begins at 19:00 and ends at 21:30.

I'm more concerned about finding our way back than the actual walking. Of course jet lag maybe taking its hold by then, so it would be good to know we can get a taxi if needed.

Thanks,

Mari

What I was suggesting is that, if your tour is a private tour, consider asking them to do it in reverse. If that's not feasible, you really shouldn't have any trouble finding a cab down by the Piazza Venezia where you end your tour anyhow (it's crazy busy with traffic down there!). :)

• 2 weeks later...
DH and I are hoping to take the free guided tour of the Pantheon at 7pm tomorrow night - we get into Rome about 2pm and want to stay awake! I found out about the free tour - look for the guides holding large umbrellas - when I spotted "free things to do in Rome" on some website.

But thanks to these posts, I hadn't thought of also taking in the illuminated sites that night as well, so thank you!

The free Pantheon tour is given by Angel Tours Rome - If anyone else is interested in that you can get more information on it from their website. They offer many different tours - are reasonably priced and come highly recommended on this site as well as on Trip Advisor. http://www.angeltoursrome.com/

The free Pantheon tour is given by Angel Tours Rome - If anyone else is interested in that you can get more information on it from their website. They offer many different tours - are reasonably priced and come highly recommended on this site as well as on Trip Advisor. http://www.angeltoursrome.com/

Just be prepared for the fact that they may not show up for the free Pantheon tour. :rolleyes: Happened to us in 2006 (despite confirming with them twice in advance), and I've read other posts saying the same.

I used Romecabs to pick us up at the airport, then did a private night tour to see all the lighted spots, then used the same company the next day for the Coleseum,etc,and had them bring us to the port around 2. Worked perfectly and wasted no time trying to find things. They know the streets to get you in and out. It would be nice to explore on your own, but how much do you want to take the chance on missing

I used Romecabs to pick us up at the airport, then did a private night tour to see all the lighted spots, then used the same company the next day for the Coleseum,etc,and had them bring us to the port around 2. Worked perfectly and wasted no time trying to find things. They know the streets to get you in and out. It would be nice to explore on your own, but how much do you want to take the chance on missing

Do you recall the pricing? I'm just having major sticker shock at these private tours. I'm willing to risk missing something vs shelling out $400+ for a tour that I'm completely capable of doing on my own, ya know?

Do you recall the pricing? I'm just having major sticker shock at these private tours. I'm willing to risk missing something vs shelling out $400+ for a tour that I'm completely capable of doing on my own, ya know?

There's no need to book a tour, really! You can easily do it on your own. Rome is a city best seen on foot anyway.

Archived