Top 5 must brings!

pacheco18

I've read tons of tips on packing for a cruise - but my question is really about cruise-specific items that you cannot live without on a cruise ship in particular = e.g. your travel mug, extension cord etc.

What are your top 5 items that you MUST take with you on a cruise ship?

Travel alarm clock

Power strip to charge vour camera, cell phone and netbook computer

Appropriate clothing for formal and smart casual evening; days in port and beach etc

Rx for mal de mer in case of rough seas

DH and Credit cards. :)

I've read tons of tips on packing for a cruise - but my question is really about cruise-specific items that you cannot live without on a cruise ship in particular = e.g. your travel mug, extension cord etc.

What are your top 5 items that you MUST take with you on a cruise ship?

Hi Larraine,

I was trying to think what I'd have that I wouldn't have on a hotel holiday.

2 I can definitely think of are a spare pair of spectacles and my spare false teeth. NO seriously.

Last year one of my main worries was that when I was looking over the side they might slip off and end up in the sea.

Also a proper mug for my tea and coffee rather than the melamine ones they provided in the 24 hour buffet.

The suit and tie for the formal nights, I'd never take them normally, (and didn't last time either as it was an informal cruise line)

The alarm clock is a good idea sail7seas, I normally rely on my mobile phone

I can't think of anything else we took that was different from a hotel holiday

Berwyn

Travel alarm clock

Appropriate clothing for formal and smart casual evening; days in port and beach etc

1- I don't need the power strip, as just need to juice up the cell phone the last night

2- I guess you don't take nudest cruises :D

2a- I sure don't :eek:

3- Heard they have meds on board they give out in really bad seas

4- DEFINITELY TAKE DH! :p , credit cards are great too.

5- (mine) Nite lite for bathroom. Strange rooms are sometimes hard to find your way around while half asleep, and when in the room there's no need for a huge bank of lights to wake DW:cool:

These are great responses - hope we get more

It's those special "cruise" items I care about (although I totally understand the extra set of false teeth !)

I've only got 2 but they'r right at the top in the front. The ones you want for Christmas in the song :D so I'd look awful without them. :eek:

Berwyn

Clothespins - either to hang hand washables, or weight down the shower curtain (so it won't stick to you!)

A compact fan/air purifier (plug in/wall current or batteries) - to give more air flow if the cabin is stuffy, or eliminate odors.

1. I don't know what I'd do without a shoe organizer to keep the bathroom organized so everything isn't out on the small counter.

2. travel alarm clock

3. power strip with usb and electrical ports for charging ipods, cell phones, etc

4. small cooler to store water, soft drinks

5. night light

1. Passport and cruise documents

2. Sunscreen

3. My own toiletries

4. clothing (includes formal, casual, bathing suits, day wear & shoes)

5. DVD player - I can't sleep without it

I can leave the rest of the gadgets at home.

1. Bonine

2. Power strip

3. I did enjoy having the travel mug but could have lived w/o it

4. Clothes with pockets (casual clothes especially). I'm not a lanyard kind of gal.

5. Small camera in addition to SLR

6. Bungee cord for balcony door

7. Shoe organizer for over door

8. One dollar bills

Heres my top five:

1) aA decent sized travel alarm clock. I have one that self adjusts the time based on the atomic clock so it changes time when you go through time zones....kind of fun on trips that change time zones... and you can set it with a backlight to stay on if you want and use it as a nightlight if needed too. Inside cabin is sooooo dang dark. Did an inside once and not likely to do it again.

2) CREDIT CARDS!!

3)$1 bills and $5 bills for tipping and small novelty purchases in ports.

4)Advil (cures most everything!)

5)IPOD (can NOT run without one and I love using the gym every AM)

And lastly, expanding waist pants, LOL!!

Jan

1)Prescription medications

2)Credit cards

3)Passport

4)Change of clothes

5)Couple of good books and reading glasses (does that make 6?)

Not that these are confined to cruises. I can do without or replace everything else if necessary. No formal clothes? Oh well. No bathing suit? Oh well. No DH? Oh well (well, maybe he should be listed:D). No duct tape extension cords bungee cords alarm clocks shoe holders hampers special soaps or hair stuff coolers fans antiseptics cleansers etc etc- have NO need for any of these. I find that less is more- I want to leave everything behind when I travel, not take it with me.

1) aA decent sized travel alarm clock. I have one that self adjusts the time based on the atomic clock so it changes time when you go through time zones....kind of fun on trips that change time zones...

Your's works onboard? My atomic watch goes crazy and I never know when/where I am when I rely on it! One morning about 6 of us, unrelated, all had similar time warp problems with our atomic timepieces. Very weird.

Travel alarm clock

VERY well said!

With 3 boys traveling with me if I put their dirty clothes back into the suitcase, it reeks after the first day. So I put their socks and shirts in a pop up hamper and put some dryer sheets in there. Keeps the clothes from stinking up everything.

Definitely spare contacts (me) and/or glasses (husband). My husband broke his only pair of glasses, and had to wear sunglasses for two days at sea until we got to a port. I also have to have an alarm clock, travel hairdryer (bad hair days would negate a good wardrobe!), Ambien, and Band-aid blister bandages.

With 3 boys traveling with me if I put their dirty clothes back into the suitcase, it reeks after the first day. So I put their socks and shirts in a pop up hamper and put some dryer sheets in there. Keeps the clothes from stinking up everything.

Wouldn't it work just as well to put the dryer sheets into the unpacked suitcase with the dirty clothes? I assume that the suitcases have been completely unpacked, but I am hyper about that.

Heres my top five:

1) aA decent sized travel alarm clock. I have one that self adjusts the time based on the atomic clock so it changes time when you go through time zones....kind of fun on trips that change time zones... and you can set it with a backlight to stay on if you want and use it as a nightlight if needed too. Inside cabin is sooooo dang dark. Did an inside once and not likely to do it again.

2) CREDIT CARDS!!

3)$1 bills and $5 bills for tipping and small novelty purchases in ports.

4)Advil (cures most everything!)

5)IPOD (can NOT run without one and I love using the gym every AM)

And lastly, expanding waist pants, LOL!!

Jan

Hi Jan,

The wife and i will 2nd and 3rd the expanding waist pants LOL!

Berwyn

my question is really about cruise-specific items that you cannot live without on a cruise ship in particular = e.g. your travel mug, extension cord etc.

Backup eyeglasses, small alarm clock, bubbles, binoculars, and three-outlet adapter.

Caro

Archived