Bottled water available onboard, shopping questions

papergypsy

OK, so now the questions from the family start.... You can tell we are doing this for the first time.

Is there bottled water available onboard? We will be on the Zuiderdam in June. Do you purchase it or is it left in your cabin - we are in a Superior Veranda Suite.

If no bottled water, how is the water out of the faucet? Heavily chlorinated or tasting like dirt?

Shopping - what sorts of shop are onboard? General sundries and books, kitschy souvenirs, high-end clothing - what?

Bottled water is available on board and for a (onboard a cruise) reasonable price. I think it was 3.95 for a 32oz. bottle. The bottles were in the mini bar and were restocked as used. However, I went through a bottle per day and I believe I was only charged for four? I don't know if that was on purpose or what as I didn't notice until I was at the airport.

The water out of the bathroom faucet was fine for brushing teeth and taking medicine. I assume it's the same as the water in the restaurants which I thought was fine. I drink a lot of water and had no problem drinking 3-4 glasses at each meal.

I was on the Westerdam and did not enjoy the shops. I was surprised by the merchandise or lack thereof. There was some resort style clothing but not much and the tee shirts were not ship specific. The shop was small and didn't offer much. There were some assorted sundries available but they were a RIP OFF. Example, I got a nasty sunburn and had to buy some cooling gel (made more annoying by the fact that I looked at my own at home and decided, nah, I won't need this and didn't pack my $2.50 bottle from Target - I digress.) For a bottle in the gift shop it was $12.00!!!! I paid it because I really needed it but COME ON!!!

Books can be borrowed from the library. It looked like they had a good selection though I never had the occasion to borrow any. Books are a first priority to my dh who read three books over the first three days of a Disney cruise. There wasn't a library so he went to the gift shop where there was a choice of garbage, pulp, or absolute pond scum to choose from! He will never make that mistake again - from then on we sail with a library!!!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I have never read a disparaging comment about any ship's water quality. It is generally considered excellent (practically nothing but H and O :)).

Buy (or bring) one bottle and just keep refilling it from the tap or scuttlebutt.

I have found the libraries OK, but always bring a book as well. Someone familiar with Zuiderdam can be more specific.

Cheers (And have a great cruise; we want to hear all about it, please)

Mark

The water on the Zuiderdam is excellent quality - Reverse Osmosis (R/O - type I). I refilled my bottle and put it in the minifridge and always had a cold bottle.

There will be an environmental talk on board. Excellent. Talk was geared toward making clean water, recycling, waste discharges, etc. Water quality was addressed.

Some of the ladie's tops are a good buy. One for $20 or 2 for $30. Wash and wear nicely.

Oosterdam had a nice selection in the library. Tshirts were port specific, with a few that had the ship name on them. Resort wear was nice. Few sundries, cosmetics in the duty free shop. Strange collections of jewelry. EM

Water from the tap is fine to drink, however it never "runs cold"--you will need ice, which your room attendant will supply.

We do take bottled water (either purchased or that which we've re-filled from the ship) ashore to "iffy" ports.

The water on the ship is very soft--no minerals, so use about 1/4 of your normal shampoo amount, or you will be rinsing for DAYS!!!!

Archived