upsell/upgrade ?

stargazer78

I am sailing the 5/31 Carnival Freedom (38 days away) I booked an OV Guarantee. I have my cabin assignment 6A riviera deck. My question is what are the chances of upgrade/upsell. I just did mock bookings and from what I can tell there are only 2 inside rooms, 1 OV (porthole), 13 balcony, and 10 cat. 11 and 7 cat. 12 suite cabins available. That seems like a lot of higher value rooms to still be open this close to sailing. I wouldn't take an upsell but wouldn't mind a free upgrade to a balcony or suite. What are the odds?

I think the odds of a suite upgrade at no cost are pretty slim(or none). You may get offered a balcony/suite upsell.

But your sailing is still over a month away, they have time to play with the rates to try and sell the remaining cabins.

Who knows, are you a past guest? It seems past guests have been targeted for the upsells.

I'm just over 30 days from my sailing and a past guest. I got a call yesterday trying to get me to pay to upgrade to a balcony from an OV. The offer was the same prices as is currently on the web for a balcony so I didn't take it. Wish they would have offered it to me at a discount!

I think the chances of a free upgrade are zero or less unless you've sailed with Carnival LOTS of times - and I've been on Carnival for trips where some of my fellow passengers had been on 25 or more Carnival cruises.

But good luck anyway, and for Pete's sake, let us know if you get a freebie!! :D

It almost NEVER happens. However, on rare occasions it does. My very first cruise, on the Pride, I booked an inside cabin (guarantee) and was upgraded, at no cost, to a balcony. Granted, it was an obstructed balcony but who cares? It was great. It hasn't happened since but I know it can happen. Good luck.

I'm just over 30 days from my sailing and a past guest. I got a call yesterday trying to get me to pay to upgrade to a balcony from an OV. The offer was the same prices as is currently on the web for a balcony so I didn't take it. Wish they would have offered it to me at a discount!

Next time they call you,ask them if they can go down on price. That is what I did and got a decent deal out of it. It also depends on how desparate they are to get rid of the cabins.:)

The free upgrades seem to be few and far between if you booked a guarantee. If your cabin has already been assigned, Id agree with the others.

You say you are not interested in a upsell call, so unless you had your booking marked you wanted a upsell call, you might not be getting one anyway.

A few have posted here they got a free upgrade, they told the upsell person they had a special occassion and were platinum or some such, sometimes it works.

I don't see any posts anymore about the "ugrade fairy" coming to visit. I don't think there are any free upgrades anymore. Even those that book the guarantee's. They are upsailing everything they can, and the ones they can't they keep dropping the upsell price til they do. They aren't giving anything away anymore that I can see.:confused:

The guarneatee's are goign to be stuck with whats left after they have upsold everything they can IMO.

I am sailing the 5/31 Carnival Freedom (38 days away) I booked an OV Guarantee. I have my cabin assignment 6A riviera deck. My question is what are the chances of upgrade/upsell. I just did mock bookings and from what I can tell there are only 2 inside rooms, 1 OV (porthole), 13 balcony, and 10 cat. 11 and 7 cat. 12 suite cabins available. That seems like a lot of higher value rooms to still be open this close to sailing. I wouldn't take an upsell but wouldn't mind a free upgrade to a balcony or suite. What are the odds?

We're leaving on May 3 and got the call yesterday to upsell from Riviera OV to Panorama Balcony. We took it at 130pp. We booked at rock bottom prices so for us, this is a good deal. YMMV.

We booked a 4A cabin at a great resident rate. At the time we booked, IS cabins were not available. Since then they have added the inside guarantee option, but the price went up slightly (on all cabins).

I called my PVP today to inquire about switching from an assigned cabin to the IS and she said it couldn't be done unless we were to pay the increase in price (which I didn't do.) Since the 4A and 4B cabins seem to be sold out, I thought Carnival may like to open up some lower cabins. To me going from a 4A to an IS would be a lateral move but I guess Carnival doesn't see it that way. I have always booked a guarantee cabin and enjoy the anticipation of what we might get. In 3 cruises we have always gotten some sort of an upgrade.

RIP Free "ugrade fairy" it is now the "Upsell fairy" + plus it took the high command at Carnival to release a "upgrade fairy". We had call back in Jan for those 2 cruises (cat 8A) and have been called for the 2 comming up (Cat 8H). They wanted $200 ea for a upsell to a Cat11. We have 21 cruises with Carnival and never had a "upgrade fairy" visit. We now have had 4 "upsell visits" this year. We book what cabin we want and thats it. We give No more money and we don't ever see lower prices because of the Military price from the int booking.

fairy63.jpg.0aedfc5c8db7958e72ca7d9794a2fa7a.jpg

It almost NEVER happens. However, on rare occasions it does. My very first cruise, on the Pride, I booked an inside cabin (guarantee) and was upgraded, at no cost, to a balcony. Granted, it was an obstructed balcony but who cares? It was great. It hasn't happened since but I know it can happen. Good luck.

I tried it once in 2007 on the Miracle and got the same obstructed balcony; the obstructed being the lifeboats. But like you said who cares. It was still nice to sit outside and I was hoping for it again. But they already assigned me to a 4A Room on the Riveria. I'll be surprised if I do; but I don't think this time will be lucky. They already assigned me my room. Mary49

Archived