When hubby needs tea...

papergypsy

I am married to a hummingbird - eats all day and never gains an ounce. He is wondering if there is some form of food available all day, or just during meal times. He is most concerned about mid- afternoon.

I see that HAL offers tea - is this complimentary or do you pay extra for it? And where does one take tea? Does it include a light munchie (biscuit or scone) or is it just beverage.

What about high tea? I see that it is offered once during the cruise. Is it complimentary or not? We love a nice high tea with a good scone and clotted cream.

I am married to a hummingbird - eats all day and never gains an ounce. He is wondering if there is some form of food available all day, or just during meal times. He is most concerned about mid- afternoon.

I see that HAL offers tea - is this complimentary or do you pay extra for it? And where does one take tea? Does it include a light munchie (biscuit or scone) or is it just beverage.

What about high tea? I see that it is offered once during the cruise. Is it complimentary or not? We love a nice high tea with a good scone and clotted cream.

It's wonderful and there's no charge. They have loads of different teas and pastries (don't know about scones) you'll enjoy it.

Have Fun

Tea is included. Sometimes it will be a simple tea in the Explorers Lounge, sometimes a more 'formal' tea in the dining room. The more formal tea will probably be a either a 'Royal Dutch' or Indonesian tea. We've found either to be delightful.

Other afternoon options (all included in your fare) are out by the pool area (burgers/pizza type food), ice cream in the Lido or room service in your cabin (we do tip $2 to the steward who delivers the tray though). The salad bar and sandwich area(s) of the Lido are usually open extended hours too.

The daily afternoon tea offers small finger sandwiches, scones/muffins, tea cakes and pastries and, of course, tea. Both brewed HAL tea and a variety of Bigelowe flavored teas are available. On every cruise I've been on its been held in the main dining room.

The High Tea is more fancy. I have seen some more elaborate than others, it depends on the ship. Tons of fruit, chocolate fountains, marzipan displays. They usually open 30 min early for photo ops. This has sometimes been held in the show lounge but usually in the main dr also.

The Explorations Cafe usually has tea time style snacks (small sandwiches, scones, and or pastries and cookies) all afternoon available for free. They do charge for the actual tea there, however.

There is free self serve tea (the drink) available in the Lido cafe all day, I believe.

I think the Lido deck food service is over by 4pm or 5pm. But, at 5:30 or 6:00 there might be kids menu foods served at the taco stand by the hamburger stand. This might only be during school holidays, however.

Room service is also free, 24 hours, as previously mentioned.

My soon to be wife likes decaffeinated tea, anyone have an idea of what is available throughout the day, either on the lido or as an after dinner drink???

There are usually a couple types of herbal teas available in the Lido and in the dining room. In the dining room, be sure to ask to see the box of teas and not just ask for tea (as they will just bring you standard issue black tea with caffeine).

I have sometimes seen decaf Earl Grey as an option. There may be others as well.

Thank you all for the info - I just read all of your responses to hubby and he says it will be just like being back home with a real honest to goodness tea.

You are all the best at answering questions and supplying info, ya know!

Alas, alack! I have searched long and hard on HAL, and found no proper clotted cream; their scones are good enough, however, with bread and butter. They do tea sweets fairly well, but don't do any savories to speak of. I've learned to be VERY SPECIFIC about the tea I want. The loose teas at the Indonesian tea are quite good, almost as good as the coffees. I suggest going TO tea at 3 or so, and ordering a BLT and a pot of tea from room service when the munchies strike.

I am not a huge fan of the pots of tea that can be ordered from room service. I am somewhat picky about my tea water. Sometimes they put the water into pitchers that have previously held coffee and there is a slight off taste. Also, the water is just not quite the correct temperature for me. The tea water at the formal teas, after dinner, and of course in the Lido are excellent. Just the room service water that I do not enjoy.

Alas, alack! I have searched long and hard on HAL, and found no proper clotted cream; their scones are good enough, however, with bread and butter.

We had the most delicious scones and clotted cream on our recent Eurodam cruises. I agree clotted cream is not always available but when it is, it is delicious! A real treat we never have at home.

Bring you decaf. tea bags with you. The casual tea is in the lounge and they will pour hot water into the cup with your bag. Do not miss the Indonesian tea in the dining room as the waiters have ethnic clothes on and etnic music is playing. Last cruise on Noordam they serve some treats from Indonesia along with reg. treats. The type of tea will be listed in your daily paper. Bring along a marker so you can highlight which programs you wish to go to and tear this section off and take it with you when you leave your room. You also can get hot water in the Lido all day.

My soon to be wife likes decaffeinated tea, anyone have an idea of what is available throughout the day, either on the lido or as an after dinner drink???

we've had no problem finding both decaf tea and herbal teas while sailing. Evenat the high tea we requested decaf and they brought it to us.

I was very impressed with the different types of tea in the lido...My husband was on a green tea kick on our last cruise and he never had any trouble getting that. I love the afternoon teas. Have met fascinating people and it is just a wonderful addition to the cruise. Not something I get the opportunity to do at home..

Archived