STAR - Not Stopping in Mexico

SFParrtHd

We are docked at San Pedro this morning - some passengers are disembarking here. They have a shuttle running for those who want to go to Long Beach. Most everyone has seemed to calmed down ;)

Lynda - will say hi to them all for you.

Fins still up - Dona

Another thread says that Princess is offering a 50% credit on your next cruise for anyone aboard the Star or the Sapphire. I know that would make me happy:D. I wish I was on the ship with you guys. I could use that credit on my next cruise.:)

DH and I disembarked from the Star on 4/27 - hi Denise, if you're out there!

We didn't know anything about the Swine Flu until we were waiting in the Princess Theatre to disembark. Waited 3 hours - have seen many theories regarding the delay. Any-hoo, the whole time CNN was running, talking about nothing but the flu. Statistics, demographics and SYMPTOMS. After you listen to what the symptoms are for 3 hours, you start to think you have them!

Be glad you're not going to Mexico. I feel like a pariah every time I mention where I was on vacation. It's as if people are sure you're going to sprout a curly tail and say "oink, oink". By staying in those Califormia ports, you can relax more and not worry about the flu.

While on board, be sure to try the "Chef's Table" dinner. It is pricey at $75 pp, but you get a galley tour (during dinner service) given by the Executive Chef, fancy hors d'oeurves (steak tartar, pate de fois gras and Beluga caviar for us), Heinsek (sp?) champagne, a marvelous dinner prepared by the chef himself (several courses), wine pairings (all you want to drink) plus several surprise gifts (I won't spoil it for you!). Speak with your Head Waiter - it is not to be missed!

Please tell Brian, his friends (Hunter and Nori) and Larry and Ginger, hi from Partybarbie too. They will know us from past cruises together.

Davalynn and Bruce

Awww... you are the sweetest!

We think the cruise is going very well. We docked in San Pedro and Princess provided free shuttles into Long Beach. The weather is perfect and we made a great day of it.

The new itinerary is interesting and unique. It's amazing Princess was able to pull these new ports together with so little notice.

In our opinion, it seems to be the experienced travelers who are going with the flow and seeking a good time regardless of the circumstances. We realize Princess is trying to make the best of a tough situation. If anything, all this drama has been tougher on the crew than the passengers.

We miss you. Thank you for thinking of us.

Hunter & Nori

Awww... you are the sweetest!

We think the cruise is going very well. We docked in San Pedro and Princess provided free shuttles into Long Beach. The weather is perfect and we made a great day of it.

The new itinerary is interesting and unique. It's amazing Princess was able to pull these new ports together with so little notice.

In our opinion, it seems to be the experienced travelers who are going with the flow and seeking a good time regardless of the circumstances. We realize Princess is trying to make the best of a tough situation. If anything, all this drama has been tougher on the crew than the passengers.

We miss you. Thank you for thinking of us.

Hunter & Nori

You are too kind. I'm glad you are having a good time. I can hardly wait to hear all of the stories from Brian. It's turned out to be quite the adventure for all of you. Maybe this will be a new itinerary for Princess?

I do feel sorry for the crew as well. It's not their fault that the ports were changed.

Take care and have a wonderful trip.

Four years ago my wife and I booked a Celebrity cruise, based on the itinerary, San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Barbara (changed to San Pedro due to customs staffing issues) Catalina, Ensenada, San Diego, San Francisco... .

We have also cruised (different ship) San Diego, Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, San Diego.

Both are great itineraries.

We had a cruise out of Galveston, for New Orleans for Mardi Gras… two ships had collided in the Mississippi and the river was closed, so we ended up docking in Gulfport Mississippi… some hours away by bus from New Orleans. We had hurricane force winds, we had high seas, we almost missed Cozumel due to wind and tides. It was a great cruise.

We had a cruise scheduled to call on Rotan Honduras last year… the locals were rioting due to electric rates. Instead of stopping we cruised around the island.

The ship goes where the ship can go. This is a basic truth. Weather, politics and illness all can change the rules.

Don’t cruise if it is for the ports only… cruise for the trip… accept the changes that happen. Cruise lines don’t change plans on whim.

Ships regularly miss Grand Caymans. Ships regularly miss the private islands (we almost did several years ago) Ships miss Stanley Falklands, a port I want to visit, and expect to next year, but may miss if the weather is wrong…

One local TV station here in L.A. had a story this morning about some passengers disembarking from the Splendor and were unhappy campers. My hubby and I were just rolling our eyes over this...the cruiselines had to make some quick decisions to allow passengers to have an experience on the seas and I'm sure the crew is trying the best they can under trying conditions (the unhappy passengers and their own concerns over the possibility of the virus coming onboard). I do hope passengers don't take it out on the crew members when it comes to tipping.

Confirming, all Mexican Ports have been cancelled. Our itinerary is now:

Wed, 4-29, Ensenada

Thur, Long Beach

Fri, at sea

Sat, Santa Barbara

Sun, at sea

Mon, Catalina Island

Tues, San Diego

Wed, at sea

Thur, return to San Francisco

Wish we would have continued further south to get warm!

Hope everyone stays safe from this flu.

See you on the water,

Rex

Is there even a port to dock at in San Diego? Or is the ship being tendered?

Of course there's a port in San Diego. It's home to one of the largest USN bases on the west coast. Your ship will dock about 2 blocks from d'twn.

By the way I guess not all Mexican ports are cancelled as you're going into Ensenada.

Ciao for now!!!

DH and I disembarked from the Star on 4/27 - hi Denise, if you're out there!

We didn't know anything about the Swine Flu until we were waiting in the Princess Theatre to disembark. Waited 3 hours - have seen many theories regarding the delay. Any-hoo, the whole time CNN was running, talking about nothing but the flu. Statistics, demographics and SYMPTOMS. After you listen to what the symptoms are for 3 hours, you start to think you have them!

Be glad you're not going to Mexico. I feel like a pariah every time I mention where I was on vacation. It's as if people are sure you're going to sprout a curly tail and say "oink, oink". By staying in those Califormia ports, you can relax more and not worry about the flu.

While on board, be sure to try the "Chef's Table" dinner. It is pricey at $75 pp, but you get a galley tour (during dinner service) given by the Executive Chef, fancy hors d'oeurves (steak tartar, pate de fois gras and Beluga caviar for us), Heinsek (sp?) champagne, a marvelous dinner prepared by the chef himself (several courses), wine pairings (all you want to drink) plus several surprise gifts (I won't spoil it for you!). Speak with your Head Waiter - it is not to be missed!

I'm here now. Too funny about feeling like a pariah. People freak when you tell them you just got back from Mexico. Love the "oink, oink"

We didn't do the Chef's Table on the Star because we felt it would be selfish since so few people get chosen. We did it on the Dawn in June and absolutely agree with you!!

Try the Crown Grill, it was fabulous!!!!!

Have fun you guys!!!

Hi Dona, Larry and Ginger :D

Cheers, Denise

Princess is offering the passengers 50% off their cruise fare (for this cruise) to be applied to any future cruise that is booked by (I think) 4/2011. I have to say that I am very pleased how they have handled the whole situation. The Captain announced it last night while we were at dinner. Still a few people complaining, but like was said, the seasoned passengers are going with the flow.

We are doing the Chef's table tonight with Larry and Ginger. Haven't seen Brian again and still waiting to meet Hunter and Nori :)

Finally got a new mattress, new egg crates (2 each) PLUS a duvet under the bottom sheet. I can know understand all the complaining about the hard beds - we have never had a bed as hard as this one. Our room steward and his supervisor have gone out of the way. But now we are happy and sleeping well...on a cruise...life is good.

Fins still up,

Dona

Hi Dona: Glad you guys are doing the Chefs Table tonight again. Pat and i got to experience the Chefs Table while on the Coral cruise and it was the highlight of the trip. You are made to feel like the king and queen. Excellent.

Say hi to bob, Larry and Ginger from Pat and I.

Marilyn

You just know that if Princess had proceeded to stop in Mexico, and if they had contracted the flu, these are the same people who would be running to their lawyers directly from the dock,sick or not, to start a lawsuit.

Aint that the truth.....I've been to every coastal city in California, many times (however, I've not seen most of them from the ocean side.)

If my itinerary were changed....I, honestly would consider it fun. Something new, something unexpected......One big surprise party!!!!!!

It's getting late for me. I meant to say Santa Barbara, not San Diego.

To answer this, Santa Barbara will be a tender port. And they are predicting rain for Saturday morning. But they love to predict rain and it rarely shows up. It is nice outside right now.

Just popped over from the Carnival board when I heard that the Star would be stopping in my area. Rain is supposed to end here by early Saturday morning. You will tender from the ship to Stearns Wharf. Once you get off do not get a taxi. Walk to the end of the wharf and take the electric trolley into downtown for only 25 cents per person. Lots of shopping and restaurants. Pascucci has excellent Italian and very reasonable, plus they have streetside dining do you can watch the comings and goings. We have heard that we can expect 3 Princess ships this week. If anyone has questions about what to do in the area ask away!

I'm here now. Too funny about feeling like a pariah. People freak when you tell them you just got back from Mexico. Love the "oink, oink"

We didn't do the Chef's Table on the Star because we felt it would be selfish since so few people get chosen. We did it on the Dawn in June and absolutely agree with you!!

Try the Crown Grill, it was fabulous!!!!!

Have fun you guys!!!

Hi Dona, Larry and Ginger :D

Cheers, Denise

Got off the Star in San Francisco from the cruise from Valiperiso Chile--almost 2 weeks ago--we were on for 17/18 days--only one Chef's Table for the 2-1/2 weeks--apparently not much interest--we went to the only Chef's table which was in the first couple of days--10 pax

we also did the ultimate ships tour--LOVED IT--they talk about it being a lottery etc.--the 10 of us that went were the only ones that signed up--6 men and 4 women--4 hour tour was wonderful--then all the freebies that came to your cabin a couple of hours later were great--they sent a photographer with us and he took loads of pictures that were delivered to our cabin--then after dinner we returned to find the heavy robe that they sell in the boutique for $90--gave us 2--then we each got one of the cook's white jackets--we had tried them on in the galley--also think that we received another cookbook--oh yes--a couple of tote bags-- that can be zipped with either black or blue showing.

Nancy:D

Just popped over from the Carnival board when I heard that the Star would be stopping in my area. Rain is supposed to end here by early Saturday morning. You will tender from the ship to Stearns Wharf. Once you get off do not get a taxi. Walk to the end of the wharf and take the electric trolley into downtown for only 25 cents per person. Lots of shopping and restaurants. Pascucci has excellent Italian and very reasonable, plus they have streetside dining do you can watch the comings and goings. We have heard that we can expect 3 Princess ships this week. If anyone has questions about what to do in the area ask away!

Great Area--my daughter got married at Firestone Winery in September--sooo spent lots of time in Los Olivos etc.

Great Area--my daughter got married at Firestone Winery in September--sooo spent lots of time in Los Olivos etc.

I live about 12 miles from Firestone. It sold recently and is now the Saarloos & Sons winery. Hope all those coming have a great time. It is really easy to get around and there's tons to do.

Thanks for the update! Sounds like under the circumstances Princess did the right thing, and personally we'd be really happy with that itinerary!

Does sound good....and I think once they realize it is all for their own good....don't want a ship full of passengers with the flu...they will all enjoy the change.:)

Archived