Odyssey Carribean Tapestry 12/10-12/22

JaneBP

Updated today

JaneBP - Jane and Fred from Philly - the most experienced Seabourn persons of us all

HotRoot - Mike and Kim from Southern Illinois - 21 days on Seabourn

Floridaphilly - Phyllis & Edward from Florida (formerly from Phila)

Mara & Harvey from Florida

Sander & Jo from Phila

Marienbad - Gloria and Steve from Maryland

bertro - Bernie and Jayne from New Jersey - second cruise with Seabourn

James J Feller - Jim and Maxine - second time with Seabourn

pvgal - Bob & Eileen from Florida - first timers

Sue and George from Virginia

jafbrad - Jeanne and Fred from Southern California - first timers

bkwats - Cheryl and Gary - first timers

paleologos - Nicholas and Michael from California

MarianH - Ian and Margaret from the UK - third Seabourn Cruise

Stewart and David from Naples, Florida

J.A. and S.A. - second time on Odyssey

Jochenwb - from Germany - first timers

writer100 - Esther and Mike from New York and Florida - first Seabourn, second cruise

JimmyTheOne - Agnes and Jim Mercer from Northern California

yrnehb - Pat and Denny from New Jersey - first Seabourn

We are in St. Martin for the week. Anybody want me to check on anything for them before we are all here on December 18?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump up. Counting the days!

Don't forget to join other CC members and lurkers at a 'Meet and Greet' at the Sky Bar on Friday the 11th at the Sky Bar at 4:30. Put some nicknames and faces together! (It's the first sea day and there will still be time to prepare for what will probably be the Captain's Welcome Party and Formal Dinner.)

Jane

Will you be taking "Seabourn Sailor's Fudge?" I'm thinking of buying the Velveeta Cheese in St Thomas (or even buying it Ft Laud) and taking my shelled sack of pecans from my trees here. Then maybe helping the pastry Chef on the Spirit make it!

Would be alot of fun!

Have a grrrreat time on the new big Sister ~~

Martita B.

No fudge this time, Martita. But perhaps it's time to share the recipe again. It's sooo easy and a big hit.

Martha's Seabourn Sailor's Fudge

1 box (8 oz.) Velveeta Cheese

1 c. butter (or oleo)

2 lbs (2 box's) powered sugar

1/2 c. cocoa

2 t. vanilla

1 c. chopped pecans

Melt cheese and butter in Microwave for 1 1/2 mins (until melted) in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add the powered sugar and the cocoa (I mix these together) Add vanilla and nuts. Spread in a buttered 13X9 pan. Chill.

Jane

You might take the fudge recipe to the Odyssey pastry Chef. The galley "cooks" might want to serve it at the Crew Christmas party ~~would be a nice touch.

Oh ~~I have always used butter in the recipe. Have you used oleo?

The recipe sounds really weird :confused: but it's delicious and so quick and easy. I was given the recipe from a gal in Lubbock, Texas and make it year long.

Have a wonderful, grand holiday Odyssey Voyage!

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a bump up. Counting the days!

Don't forget to join other CC members and lurkers at a 'Meet and Greet' at the Sky Bar on Friday the 11th at the Sky Bar at 4:30. Put some nicknames and faces together! (It's the first sea day and there will still be time to prepare for what will probably be the Captain's Welcome Party and Formal Dinner.)

Just a few more days before we leave a wet and miserable UK for hopefully sunnier climes and another Seabourn experience. In packing mode now , concious of the weight restictions imposed by BA. Planning for two formal nights and one Caribbean deck party, with other evenings elegant casual. Do I have this correct or should I also consider suitable attire for a Christmas themed evening or any other option? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Just a few more days before we leave a wet and miserable UK for hopefully sunnier climes and another Seabourn experience. In packing mode now , concious of the weight restictions imposed by BA. Planning for two formal nights and one Caribbean deck party, with other evenings elegant casual. Do I have this correct or should I also consider suitable attire for a Christmas themed evening or any other option? *** For goodness sakes..the most important thing is that you feel good about yourself. I would not worry about THEMED evenings. Simply bring those items that will be interpreted as VERY NICE.. and that you feel good about. Glitz is not necessary..and in my opinion ridiculous. Elegant is another point...and in my opinion..simple elegance gets you anywhere. I mix and match many of my belongings, and have no problem with weight restrictions.

[quote=LaPaloma;22194903

I have to say that I am a little surprised by the apparently censorious tone of your reply. But there again, I may be overeacting - if so apologies. In any event I am grateful for your comments. Just to explain - I am seeking guidance because of the apparent confusion around dress code for Seabourn Caribbean cruises ( see your thread of June26 2009 among others ). As to THEMED evenings, I am concious that some of our American cousins like to have fun dressing up ( see Texan theme on the Odyssey trans Atlantic cruise) and we would wish to join in as we have done on previous occasions. As to simple elegance, who could disagree. I will pass on your mix and match tip to my wife but with no great confidence it will significantly reduce the weight of our luggage!

Regards

Ian

I've sailed Seabourn during the holidays several times ~~please tell your wife "any of her elegant attire" will be perfect for formal evenings. Of course, if you would enjoy taking a couple of Santa hats or raindeer antler horns, do so! These would be fun a'round the Sky Bar during the day! (you might even take along a Santa hat as a "love gift" for your sweet Stewardess)

Aboard a Seabourn ship during the Christmas holidays is sooo very

special! ~~~You and Margaret will love every minute ~~I'll be aboard the Spirit for a short 5 dayer-Dec. 16th-21st. My good buddy, JB and I are hosting a cocktail party, "Oh Come All 'Ye Thirsty!" We're inviting around 30 ~~and will have it in our Suite 05 ~~ I've hosted these fun & festive parties on the Pride in the past ~~ We all make wonderful Christmas memories.

Have a grand holiday cruise! Please post when you return home.

Cheers!:p

Martita B.

Ian

I've sailed Seabourn during the holidays several times ~~please tell your wife "any of her elegant attire" will be perfect for formal evenings. Of course, if you would enjoy taking a couple of Santa hats or raindeer antler horns, do so! These would be fun a'round the Sky Bar during the day! (you might even take along a Santa hat as a "love gift" for your sweet Stewardess)

Aboard a Seabourn ship during the Christmas holidays is sooo very

special! ~~~You and Margaret will love every minute ~~I'll be aboard the Spirit for a short 5 dayer-Dec. 16th-21st. My good buddy, JB and I are hosting a cocktail party, "Oh Come All 'Ye Thirsty!" We're inviting around 30 ~~and will have it in our Suite 05 ~~ I've hosted these fun & festive parties on the Pride in the past ~~ We all make wonderful Christmas memories.

Have a grand holiday cruise! Please post when you return home.

Cheers!:p

Martita B.

Hi Martita

Many thanks for your encouraging comments - festive hats are packed!

We have very fond memories of Seabourn Spirit and are so looking forward to renewing our Seabourn experience on the Odyssey.

Best Regards

Ian

Ian

The Odyssey Staff and Crew will loveeee you and Margaret for donning "holiday hats!" Don't be surprised if you see other Sailor's wearing Christmas attire at the Sail Away ~just good fun!:D You might even think about taking Ex. Chef Graeme a holiday Chef hat! He's a HOOT and loves dressing up ~~we made him a fabulous Halloween Chef hat and 'lo & behold he came out of the Galley on Oct 31st wearing it! Folks were taking pictures! Sometimes we forget.....the Staff/Crew like to join in with the Guests having good times!:eek:

Why not "bump up the fun?"

Again.....have a most wonderful holiday aboard the beautiful Odyssey!

Martita B.

Jane

I'm not sure what Deck you will meet to have the Odyssey Sail Away ~~note that Deck 8 (around the Sky Bar) is very noisy ~~the band plays there and it can be very loud. We chose Deck 9, again around the Sky Bar and it's much more pleasant ~~you can "meet, greet and visit" here.

Many of us enjoyed Deck 9 so much we made this our "daily meetin' area.":D

Have lots of fun!

Martita B

Thanks, Martha,

We are not 'Meeting & Greeting' until the next day, the 11th, our first sea day, @ 4:30. We will meet at the Sky Bar on Deck 9.

We have such a nifty, large group and hopefully many will attend. The Sail-Away mightl be a bit too frenetic for chatting at any length.

Congrats on the upgrade! We are planning on two casual, two formal, and the rest elegant casual/semi-formal. That translates to two nights with no jacket, two nights with Tux, and the rest with sports coat with or without tie. I am taking long dresses for formal and short dresses for the rest. Hope this helps.

Have been to Grand Turk and agree there isn't much to do. Last time we hired a taxi for an island tour. We are thinking about just taking a walk on the beach. Have never heard of Gibbs Cay. Do you have more info? If you want to talk off board, my email is KPamatot@amfam.com

Hi

Gibbs Key looks gorgeous - snorkelling, Conch Shells and friendly (allegedly) sting rays. However, the info I have suggests the trip is an hour each way from the Cruise Terminal. As we are only in port for approx 5 hours, is there sufficient time to do the trip comfortably?

Info also suggests that it is possible to snorkel "off the beach" in Grand Turk. Does anyone have details? Governors beach ( approx 1 mile from CT) looks to be very attractive - does anyone know if taxis are readily available there and back?

According to the CT schedule, Odyssey is the only ship in port on 12 December - so hopefully it wont be too crowded.

Just putting final touches to packing before heading off to the USA and we are running up against BA weght restrictions! So, having to decide whether to bring snorkels. Does anyone know if Seabourn is happy to loan snorkels for use off the ship?

Regards

Hi

Gibbs Key looks gorgeous - snorkelling, Conch Shells and friendly (allegedly) sting rays. However, the info I have suggests the trip is an hour each way from the Cruise Terminal. As we are only in port for approx 5 hours, is there sufficient time to do the trip comfortably?

Info also suggests that it is possible to snorkel "off the beach" in Grand Turk. Does anyone have details? Governors beach ( approx 1 mile from CT) looks to be very attractive - does anyone know if taxis are readily available there and back?

According to the CT schedule, Odyssey is the only ship in port on 12 December - so hopefully it wont be too crowded.

Just putting final touches to packing before heading off to the USA and we are running up against BA weght restrictions! So, having to decide whether to bring snorkels. Does anyone know if Seabourn is happy to loan snorkels for use off the ship?

Regards

Have you ever heard the term..ISLAND TIME? If the tour is not a Seabourn tour..I would hesitate. "Locals" tend to be extremely lacadazical about time. Also,..if their equipement has problems..they have engine trouble..etc etc...it is simly another world and another mindset. I would not be comfortable with it in that time frame.

I am not aware of Seabourn lending snorkeling equipment. Usually the tour companies have it for the participants. See you soon!

Yes, Seabourn DOES lend snorkeling equipment for use off the ship. (Odyssey)

Host Dan

Archived