Odyssey Carribean Tapestry 12/10-12/22

JaneBP

We were in 706 and did have vibration. Also felt it on the bow of Deck 6 which was one of our favorite places. The dishes rattled in Restaurant 2 from the vibration. I think it all has to do with how fast you are going. The worst were the last two at sea days. In the Observation Lounge, dishes shook off the tables. For a short cruise, I wouldn't worry. All of the good outweighs the bad. With alot of sea days at full speed, the vibration would/could get old. We seldom used elevators and only ate in the Colonade when docked or anchored so did not feel the vibration in either of those spots.

We're booked into cabin 701- far forward. Anyone have any "vibration" issues that far forward. Anything else in terms of a "heads up" would be greatly appreciated. We've been on Seabourn a couple of times and always been good- we're looking to start easing away from the Royal "cattle car" mentality. Happy holidays and thanks for any thoughts. All my contact info is on my profile. Dave :>

Hello Dave, I have friends visiting for the holidays that sailed on Odyssey a few weeks ago.

I believe 701 is a Signature Suite, they had one of the Owners Suites up front with a view over the bow in the same area as yours. They did not experience too much vibration in the suite, however there was a definite loud 'boom' every time the bow would hit a wave and was more noticeable at night while trying to sleep -- ear plugs helped. The vibration was very noticeable a couple of decks up from them in the Observation Bar (one of their favorite rooms) and one nite was so bad they couldn't sit up there. If engineers are scratching their heads as to the cause of the vibration, how will they solve this before Sojourn is completed? Also with the ship movement, doors on the suite cabinets would swing loose and bang. My friends advise that they would not take any of the forward suites again but would prefer one of the 2 Winter Garden Suites or the 1 Owners Suite mid ship. The dining room service was pretty much hit or miss. Appears some of the staff are not trained efficiently enough and really didnt understand what they were serving half the time. Just one example: If a cheese plate was placed on the table, the server would just walk away without explaining the various varieties. When the server was asked, the usual answer was "um...". This did not apply to all servers but enough that it became annoying. We also wonder like the other posters, what happened to cadets they had trained? How are they going to obtain an experienced serving crew that are up to Seabourn standards for the 2 new ships without having more issues?

Pat.

Hi

I have just tried to post a few comments re Caribbean Tapestry cruise 12/10 to 12/22.

The composition took a little while and I had to leave it on screen before sending. Even though I had logged in at the start, when I came to send it I was asked to log in again. In the process my missive disappeared into the ether!

Before expending nugatory effort in redoing it, does anyone know why this should happen ( eg does the site log you out after a certain time?). And more importantly how I can prevent it happening again!

Needless to say, I do not have a copy of my original - ugh!

>"...Friends have advised me although dinner in Colonnade was very good...."

We were disappointed in the dinner menu, because it rarely varied more than one dish from the dining room menu. even though listed as a 'theme' dinner. So why bother? And the service was no better than the DR.

Best thing about the DR was that some of the area was tiled and not carpeted, which meant chairs moved more easily. That was a plus for me. At lunch it was light and airy, at dinner it looked as if an event planner had decorated a huge space to hide it's flaws. The waiters kept brushing against the white curtains and if you had a seat near one, as I did, one could get hit by it. I did notice that on the formal nights the waiters did not have to do the ritual of removing the plated covers and chanting 'un, deux, trois.."

Not only no covered plates on formal nights, but no chocolate pianos for dessert either. Maybe they only have 200 piano molds. Oh well they still don't have it quite together but they are really trying. When we sailed we heard that Lucca had just left after being asked to help get the dining room better up to speed. Also a new chef had arrived and he claimed that he cut the delivery time for food from kitchen to table down from 45 minutes to 12.

Oh well they still don't have it quite together but they are really trying. When we sailed we heard that Lucca had just left after being asked to help get the dining room better up to speed. Also a new chef had arrived and he claimed that he cut the delivery time for food from kitchen to table down from 45 minutes to 12.

Thank you Floridayphilly. I still would like to know from anyone: after the previously much ballyhooed arrival of (the not so great?) Chef Cockburn on Odyssey, why he simply has been banished by Seabourn after such a short time, in favor of a new (and presumably better) chef?

Oh well they still don't have it quite together but they are really trying. When we sailed we heard that Lucca had just left after being asked to help get the dining room better up to speed. Also a new chef had arrived and he claimed that he cut the delivery time for food from kitchen to table down from 45 minutes to 12.

Thank you Floridayphilly. I still would like to know from anyone: after the previously much ballyhooed arrival of (the not so great?) Chef Cockburn on Odyssey, why he simply has been banished by Seabourn after such a short time, in favor of a new (and presumably better) chef?

My understanding is the Executive Chef organizes the kitchen. The recipes are all developed by Charlie Palmer. The only time you get to eat the Chef's food is on "Chef's night." We were told the previous chef had problems with the size of the kitchen. He was used to dealing with a smaller kitchen and staff. Take the galley tour and ask your questions.

Not only no covered plates on formal nights, but no chocolate pianos for dessert either. Maybe they only have 200 piano molds. Oh well they still don't have it quite together but they are really trying. When we sailed we heard that Lucca had just left after being asked to help get the dining room better up to speed. Also a new chef had arrived and he claimed that he cut the delivery time for food from kitchen to table down from 45 minutes to 12.

Not sad to hear the chocolate pianos had gone, BUT has Lucca left for good? That would be sad. Does anyone know the whereabouts of other nice Maitre'ds - Kevin from S. Africa and Daniel from Germany?

Graeme was not on the Odyssey for this cruise, though when we were with him on the Odyssy in October he said he would still be on the Odyssey in December.Graeme is a grreat chef, and the cuisine was excellent under his direction though not always well served. Udo was the chef on the December cruise, and we found the food somewhat variable, though always good; still with some service problems.

No matter the small problems with service and vibration, we had a great time.

We had covered plates and I think chocolate pianos on the Odyssey Maiden Crossing in October/November

Not sad to hear the chocolate pianos had gone, BUT has Lucca left for good? That would be sad. Does anyone know the whereabouts of other nice Maitre'ds - Kevin from S. Africa and Daniel from Germany?

Kevin is supposed to be Maitre d' on the Odyssey World Cruise

Here we are on Odyssey for the full 108 days. Met some charming people and very pleased with the yacht so far - it's our first with Seabourn. Certainly haven't had any of the aforementioned problems and the crew bend over backwards to help us and be friendly by asking our names when we meet.:) We are only into our second day sailing but the gala dinner in FL was wonderful in many ways - Seabourn certainly did us proud !

:D

Archived