Shops in Bermuda

pinkbirds02

Visiting Bermuda for the first time and would like to know what shops or shopping area should not be missed!! Also, what are your suggestions for an island tour to get a good overview of the island? Looking forward to our cruise on the Caribbean Princess in 11 days:)

Thanks for info!

Would it be cool to buy Bermuda shorts there....or not. Going in August.

It won't be cool to do anything there in August -- it gets pretty hot in Bermuda that time of year.

(Hee, hee. I crack myself up. Sorry, couldn't resist that set-up.)

Of all the things in the world to buy, I'd think Bermuda shorts (and the proper knee socks to go with them) would be perfect to buy in Bermuda. Go for it! And be sure and post a photo of you wearing 'em.

Love, love, love Bermuda!! We were on a cruise there about 10 years ago and rented motor scooters to see the island. Of course we had 4 days there. We plan on renting motor scooters again and just taking off for the day, finding out of the way places, beaches, etc. We rent a 2 seater and I just remind my husband to stay left. I think it's safer than renting two scooters and trying to follow each other. My husband has a motorcycle license and is a good driver so it works for us. You don't need a motorcycle license though to rent them. It is such a beautiful island. So quaint. I didn't find the shops too fantastic. Overpriced for sure. Fun to just browse though. They do have horse and buggy tours of downtown as well.

I think you will absolutely LOVE Bermuda, it is so beautiful. As others here have said it is pricey, but......being it's your first trip there, rent a taxi with a blue sticker for a tour of the island. The taxi drivers are very friendly and will take you to see the main sights and will also tell you about the places you'll see. We did that on our first Bermuda trip and it was well worth it. Front Street in Hamilton has some lovely shops (but, yes, expensive) which are great to browse through and you might just find a momento you feel is worth the $$. Have a great time !

We lived and worked there in the Seventies and it is a lovely place. There was a terrible problem with tourists renting bikes and scooters and falling off, especially with Bermudians driving on the left hand side of the road. If you survived it was known as "road rash". We had a colleague from Canada who injured himself soon after arriving and coulldn't work for weeks. I would recommend that you stick to a taxi. I believe that the traffic problems are much worse now.

Shops in Bermuda will never be cheap. As there is no income tax the main revenue is import duty and as nothing is actually made there then not only do the shops have to pay more for their goods but the mark-ups are higher than in most parts of the world.

Bermuda shorts look very stylish in Bermuda but the cut is different from the shorts worn in many other countries so you may look a bit out of place. I was thrown out of our local golf club here in the UK for wearing Bda shorts and long socks as "shorts are not allowed". I protested that it was Bermudian national costume and that they were discriminating against me but it didn't work!

Just FYI ... we were on the island a few years back and had a nice time ... BUT ... we were there on a Sunday and, except for the shops near the dock (if you're docking at the Naval Yards) the island was "closed" for just about any kind of retail shopping.

It sounds as if Bermuda is just as expensive as Grand Cayman. I honestly don't think any ports have the bargains that they had years ago. I have not found anything other than cigarettes and liquor to be more of a bargain than what I can find at home.

It sounds as if Bermuda is just as expensive as Grand Cayman. I honestly don't think any ports have the bargains that they had years ago. I have not found anything other than cigarettes and liquor to be more of a bargain than what I can find at home.

If anything Bermuda is more expensive than G Cayman. Even things like prices for used furniture can be shocking. :eek: Be prepared to spend quite a bit for food if you intend on eating off the ship. ;);)

There is a glass blowing display and shop right at the Dockyard-- we thought it was well worth a visit. Also -- and I know you didn't ask about this!---- the Frog&Onion Pub is an authentic British pub, also at the Dockyard, and is a nice place to stop for lunch as a break from the ship's food.

Also, taxis in Bermuda are expensive but there will be taxi drivers at the pier, and you can negotiate a price for a private tour. You may want to get a guidebook so you can decide in advance what you want to see. Another alternative is to buy the allday bus and ferry pass. It was $13/pp (may have gone up this year!) and can be bought at a booth right near where you disembark. We often hop on the ferry (right by the ship) and ride across the harbor to Hamilton (a beautiful ride with oceanfront estates on display.) We explore Hamilton for awhile, then take a bus to Horseshoe Bay beach, one of the prettiest in the world. The same bus will then bring you back to the Dockyard. You can get about anywhere on Bermuda via their bus and ferry system. Here is the view from the ship:

2072596840056765150S500x500Q85.jpg

Since you are only in for less than eight hours, I wouldn't bother with Hamilton - the best shops have all closed and the town's not much better than a building site. If you had more time there are some great things to see such as Fort Hamilton but that's not the best way to spend a one-day visit.

Get the 10am ferry to wonderful, historic St Georges and spend a couple of hours there - go to the Bermuda National Trust shop and buy some Outerbridges Sherry Peppers - then get the 1pm ferry back to Dockyard, have a drink at the Frog and Onion Pub, then wander round the glass blowing factory and the rum cake shop and the Crafts Market; maybe the Maritime Museum. It'll cost you $4 each way on the ferry, you'll have seen the best Bermuda has to offer for such a short stay, and you finish right back by the ship (no worry about missing it) without being exhausted.

Or, if you'd prefer a beach, take the bus to Horseshoe beach for the morning and then come back to Dockyard for the afternoon, although it would be a great shame to miss St Georges.

You'll find plenty of souvenirs to buy in both St Georges and Dockyard but I warn you - PROPER Bermuda shorts (as noted previously, they are cut differently) don't really work outside of Bermuda.

If anything Bermuda is more expensive than G Cayman. Even things like prices for used furniture can be shocking. :eek: Be prepared to spend quite a bit for food if you intend on eating off the ship. ;);)

Thanks for the tip

Also be very careful of the dollars you get back. They take the US dollar and try to give you Bermuda dollars. Check before you purchase. This happened to me several time including the Hamilton Princess.

Enjoy your Trip!

English Sports Shop - Sweaters to DIE for! We bought a beautiful argyle one for my husband several years ago and every time he wears it, it brings back such fond memories. We've cruised to Bermuda several times and LOVE it. Lots of cute shops on Hamilton St. and the Dockyard where you can pick up nice mementos.

You'll love the island. We've done 22 cruises and Bermuda is one of our favorite destinations.

Kathy

English Sports Shop - Sweaters to DIE for! We bought a beautiful argyle one for my husband several years ago and every time he wears it, it brings back such fond memories. We've cruised to Bermuda several times and LOVE it. Lots of cute shops on Hamilton St. and the Dockyard where you can pick up nice mementos.

You'll love the island. We've done 22 cruises and Bermuda is one of our favorite destinations.

Kathy

There is an English Sports Shop in St Georges too!

And if the ship gets in early, you could probably get the 9.15am ferry to St Georges - that gives you more time to see out beautiful island!

Sadly many of the shops on Front Street have disappeared.. but Bluck's just past the ferry is there (green buiding) and has a great collection of engligh china, crystal and antiques.. If I remember right there is a favorite t-shirt/souvenier shop..Colours.. on a side street in Hamilton. The last purchase in the Dockyard...was in the craft building..an elderly gentleman selling treated quartz. I bought a pendant (there are other local crafts there too) and receive many, many compliments on it.. Sinclairs in St. George has the usual tourist items.. and our favorite is the gift shop at the Swizzle Inn where we buy the design of the year or a little print of Bermuda

I completely forgot about my best souvenier! There are lots of artist who sell their prints. (I know, I know, it's just a glorified poster!) We paid $30 for a beautiful 20x12 print and then came home, put it on top of the fridge and forgot about it. We were on a cruise for our 10th anniversary. For my next birthday, my husband took it and got it framed and it hangs in our kitchen. It really is the best souvinier that I ever had. Very special and worth the cost. Which reminds me to save up my money now to buy and frame one from this trip (our 20th anniversary)!

I completely forgot about my best souvenier! There are lots of artist who sell their prints. (I know, I know, it's just a glorified poster!) We paid $30 for a beautiful 20x12 print and then came home, put it on top of the fridge and forgot about it. We were on a cruise for our 10th anniversary. For my next birthday, my husband took it and got it framed and it hangs in our kitchen. It really is the best souvinier that I ever had. Very special and worth the cost. Which reminds me to save up my money now to buy and frame one from this trip (our 20th anniversary)!

Is it a Carol Holding?

We received a Carol Holding of the South Hampton Princess on our honeymoon.

We were there a few years ago in Hamilton and there were alot of t-shirt stores. We do enjoy the bus system it takes you every where! Be careful with the scooters, they drive on the other side of the road for us USA folks. Saw too many couples hurt over our 4 + visits.

We fly twice Honeymoon 1991 and 1996.

Cruised there at least twice. Once we limped in on a Sunday (one day late) Azipod on Seven Seas Mariner broke (4th voyage) FedEx was waiting with part. But everythin is closed on a Sunday in Bermuda except hotels.

Archived