American AAdvantage Members, Great Cruise News: One Way Awards!

syesmar

Can I use my AA miles to book a one way ticket on another airline besides American? :confused:I need a flight from FCO to SEA or YVR next April. American does fly both those routes, but the flight to SEA is more than 20 hours and the flight into YVR is more than 30 hours. The flight on Lufthansa (an AA partner) is 13 hours.:)

Can I use my AA miles to book a one way ticket on another airline besides American? :confused:I need a flight from FCO to SEA or YVR next April. American does fly both those routes, but the flight to SEA is more than 20 hours and the flight into YVR is more than 30 hours. The flight on Lufthansa (an AA partner) is 13 hours.:)

LH/Lufthansa (Star Alliance) are not an AA (OneWorld) partner.

That being said back to your original question, you will only be able to use your AA miles for a one way reward if all of the flight segments are on AA metal (not even code shares count). Given you're in Vancouver, you might want to consider racking up those AA miles on AS instead, who actually have more partners in north america (including AA) and in Europe.

Yes, you can use other airlines (but not LH.) Use AA miles for FCO (BA) LHR (BA) YVR, 14h 0m. LH's fastest time (FCO-FRA-YVR) is 13:30.

You can't use AA miles for BA's nonstop to Seattle, only for BA flights from the UK to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. Hopefully EU and US regulators will allow this rule to be abolished later this year.

Now, if you are talking about using transferable points, such as Starwood or Amex MR or the like, you deal with them first. Or those "quasi-miles" with Capital One and the like.

FlyTalker, My Dad has 125,000 miles on Capital One. I told him for years that it was not a good program and he finally realizes it and is looking into Starwoods Amex. Previously he used US Airways (I think) for a first class award to Europe. I'll be moving to Amex myself if BofA sells off my Us Airways Visa to Barclays (so far they are keeping some portfolios with over $25,000 credit lines, but most were sold to Barclays Mastercard wih no notice - my DH had 3 days notice).

Anyway, is there any advice on the best way to use this his Capital One miles or is it just the same dollar refund no matter how you use them? Thanks.

We love Lufthansa but they are a Star Alliance partner. We have flown them to or from FCO (Rome) two years in a row and also to/from Norway and India. They still serve wine and after dinner drinks and provide head phones in coach.

Yes, you can use other airlines (but not LH.) Use AA miles for FCO (BA) LHR (BA) YVR, 14h 0m. LH's fastest time (FCO-FRA-YVR) is 13:30.

You can't use AA miles for BA's nonstop to Seattle, only for BA flights from the UK to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. Hopefully EU and US regulators will allow this rule to be abolished later this year.

So, does that mean that I could fly BA from FCO to YVR, using my AA miles? Or, do I need to fly from London? Would I have to do this booking on the phone, rather than online?

Anyway, is there any advice on the best way to use this his Capital One miles or is it just the same dollar refund no matter how you use them? Thanks.

Cap One is just a "points used as cash" type program, where the number of points needed is dependent on the ticket price. Best use of the points: "Spend them as you would cash".

So, does that mean that I could fly BA from FCO to YVR, using my AA miles? Or, do I need to fly from London? Would I have to do this booking on the phone, rather than online?

No, you can't use your AA miles to book an award ticket from FCO to YVR on BA:

Airline awards will not be valid on BA flights between the US and the UK, but are valid on BA flights between Canada, the Caribbean and Latin American and the U.K.

Here is a link which shows you all AA's partners:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/AAdvantage/partners/airlines/All_Airline_Award_Chart.jsp

You can use your AA miles to book award seats on any of them that have availability. Finding available seats is usually the problem. You have to do book partner awards by phone; you can only book award travel on AA using their webpage.

We love Lufthansa but they are a Star Alliance partner. We have flown them to or from FCO (Rome) two years in a row and also to/from Norway and India. They still serve wine and after dinner drinks and provide head phones in coach.

I would never recommend LH in Y for a TATL flight. The seats are very cramped and uncomfortable. Doesn't everyone provide free headphones now? I wouldn't put those things on my head anyway, as most of them have been already used by someone else. Always bring my own!

British Airways doesn't fly nonstop from Rome to Vancouver - nobody does. You'd have to change planes in London.

No, you can't use your AA miles to book an award ticket from FCO to YVR on BA:

Airline awards will not be valid on BA flights between the US and the UK, but are valid on BA flights between Canada, the Caribbean and Latin American and the U.K.

Here is a link which shows you all AA's partners:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/AAdvantage/partners/airlines/All_Airline_Award_Chart.jsp

You can use your AA miles to book award seats on any of them that have availability. Finding available seats is usually the problem. You have to do book partner awards by phone; you can only book award travel on AA using their webpage.

Yes, you CAN fly on BA from Rome to Vancouver using AA miles. However you'll have to change planes in London.

I fly on BA to/from Vancouver to/from Europe or Africa (connecting in London) all the time using AA miles.

I would never recommend LH in Y for a TATL flight. The seats are very cramped and uncomfortable. Doesn't everyone provide free headphones now? I wouldn't put those things on my head anyway, as most of them have been already used by someone else. Always bring my own!

I have no great love for LH, but how cramped their flights are depends on the type aircraft. Their A-330s or 340s (don't remember which, but cabins are similar) are quite uncomfortable, but the 747-400s they use on some routes, such as my BOS-FRA flights, are as comfortable as any airline's.

Regarding the head phones, most if not all international air lines are now using throw-away ear buds - at least I know this is true of LH and Swiss, so the ones they hand out are new, in sealed packages. They aren't as comfortable as your own ear phones, but at least you don't have to carry them.

Bob

Archived