Air Fare to Alaska

scarlett123

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new to this site and I must say I'm addicted already. I enjoy reading the posts from everyone. I will be cruising to Alaska in July on Celebrity Mercury and I'm just wondering what would be a reasonable air fare from NewYork To Vancouver, round trip? I'm firguring with the down turn in the economy I can get a good deal...

Thanks,

Tracy

Tracy,

I took a quick look at fares and your best bet is to fly from Newark. You can get a nonstop in both directions for about $500. Continental, Air Canada and United (flown by Air Canada) fly the route. Cathay Pacific also has a nonstop daily but it is a late night flight to Vancouver and a red eye on the way back. You can probably save $50 - $60 dollars by using a connection but a connection will greatly increase your travel time and increase the chance of lost luggage. In my opinion, $25 or $30 in each direction for a nonstop is worth it. Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Scarlett

I suggest you fly into SeaTac. From there, you can either catch the quickbus or Amtrak to Vancouver. The train is scenic, but the bus is easy to arrange and takes you right to the ship. Our preference is to fly out the day before the cruise and then continue to Vancouver the next morning. We have gotten motels around Seatac for about $40 on priceline.

I think Southwest is starting to fly from La Guardia, and that may be a good choice. Or, SW out of Philly.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I've also heard that flying in and out of Seattle, even with the added cost of getting to/from Vancouver is the cheapest way to go. Friends of our rented a car last year and drove from Vancouver to Seattle. We are going on an Alaska cruise in 2010, and I will be checking out the alternatives. I'm glad to hear there is a bus.

Hi Scarlett

I suggest you fly into SeaTac. From there, you can either catch the quickbus or Amtrak to Vancouver. The train is scenic, but the bus is easy to arrange and takes you right to the ship. Our preference is to fly out the day before the cruise and then continue to Vancouver the next morning. We have gotten motels around Seatac for about $40 on priceline.

I think Southwest is starting to fly from La Guardia, and that may be a good choice. Or, SW out of Philly.

Happy Sails to You

Do you happen to have a website about the bus? Or a name?

Do you happen to have a website about the bus? Or a name?

http://quickcoach.com/

although it takes about 5hrs by bus from Seattle to Vancouver.

There are 3 non-stops to NYC in the summer;

CX/Cathay Pacific JFK-YVR

CO/Continental EWR-YVR

AC/Air Canada EWR-YVR

pricing is around $490 return for all three.

Dear Scarlett123 --

The last time we went to Alaska 4 years ago the fare were so high to Vancouver we ended up taking the cruise out of Seattle RT. We went a day early and stayed two more days when we returned -- and it paid for the three days (the difference in airfare) in Seattle. We never use the cruise line air unless it is part of the deal, as it is way too expensive.

We are also flying to Vancouver this time in June (though from Florida) and the fares have been running 400+. This time were are using our miles so the trip was $122 RT for both of us...:) If you have some miles try to use them, as seats are available. IMHO it is too much schleping around with planes and buses to get to the ship in Vancouver --try to make it easy on yourself. After sitting 5-6 hours on planes (and that is a direct flight) - to go sit on a bus for 5 hours is a bit off the wall and that doesn't account for delays and getting to and from the airports.

We also got a great 3 1/2 star hotel in downtown Vancouver for three nights pre-cruise for $105 per night with a full breakfast daily...

Good luck and have a great cruise...

If space on the plane is a preference, the Cathay Pacific flights mentioned are feeders for their route to Hong Kong. The flight from NYC-YVR is almost always empty, because connecting passengers pick it up on the coast. Good service on CP, too.....but you do have to deal with the red-eye.

Hi Folks!

I want to thank everyone for their replys....This the reason why I love this forum so much is because of wonderful and helpful people such as yourself. I think I may have gotten a good deal on my upcoming Alaska cruise in July. I paid $504.00 rt. out of Newwark Airport to Vancouver,non stop with United Air. I'm just wondering is this a good deal. I'm not a seasoned traveller as most of you are and this will be my second cruise.

Thanks again,

Tracy

Tracy,

You got a very fair deal. I believe that your flights will actually be flown by Air Canada which code shares the route with United. If so, it will save you some money as United charges $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second checked bag. Air Canada will allow you to check two bags, weighing no more than 50 pounds each, for no additional charge.

I suggest you or your TA contact Air Canada ASAP to get seats. Air Canada flys an A319 on that route and, according to SeatGuru.com, rows 23 to the back of the aircraft have one inch less legroom than the seats in rows through row 22. One inch doesn't sound like much but on a five hour flight in a coach seat, it can make a big difference in your comfort.

Enjoy your cruise.

Dave

Scarlett, looks like you are getting a lot of feedback;).

Reference my earlier post and suggestion about flying to Seattle and using Quickcoach. Last September we flew r/t to Seattle on SW for about $450 round trip for the two of us. We stayed that night at a hotel near the Seatac airport for about $50 with tax via Priceline. There was a free shuttle from the airport to the motel. The next morning, we took the free shuttle back to the airport (about 5 minutes) and the Quickcoach picked us up there. The trip was a scenic one-about 4 hours. We were taken directly to the cruise ship. There was no hassle whatsoever. The bus was about $50 each. It was a very relaxing journey all the way.

While we flew out of Columbus, we just as easily and cheaply could have flown from Philly. My wife flew from Seattle to Columbus and back this weekend for $230 rt including taxes.

Happy Sails to You-Alaska is our favorite cruise destination.

If we take Quickcoach from Seattle to Vancouver, where does Quickcoach drop you off in Vancouver?

Also: somewhere I read that when crosssing the border all luggage must be taken off the bus?

I am just looking for the easiest way to get to Vancouver from Kansas City.

Last year, we took United, with a change in Denver, and we barely made our connection.

Hi again,

They take your bags off the bus at the border crossing and reload them. No problem. It is a nice break to get off the bus, use the restroom, etc.

A lot more info on Seattle/Vancouver departures can be found on the west coast board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Happy Sails to You

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new to this site and I must say I'm addicted already. I enjoy reading the posts from everyone. I will be cruising to Alaska in July on Celebrity Mercury and I'm just wondering what would be a reasonable air fare from NewYork To Vancouver, round trip? I'm firguring with the down turn in the economy I can get a good deal...

Thanks,

Tracy

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can also get excellent feedback/advice from the Cruise Air Forum here at Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Archived