if we can't bring irons, can we bring a small steamer??

a big, emphatic NO.

Just off today, where we "tried" to bring on a small travel steamer that came in it's own drawstring bag (no flames please!). Well, my DW tried anyway. Her bag did not make it to our room. After hours waiting, visiting the purser's desk, and asking our stateroom attendant for help, he located our bag in the quarantine area. Many bags were there with pieces of tape with the letter "I" on them ("IRON"). OURs read "SUSPICIOUS", because security could not make out what was in the little carrying bag. We had to open it there, and it was promptly confiscated.

Funny thing -- we received it back the night before disembarkation. So why would we get it back then? Isn't there still a danger of us using it while on the ship?:confused:

Another funny thing -- there was one bag in the quarantine with the word "CUFFS" on it! :eek:

BTW, we were in a PR room.

I don't know if it makes a difference in ships and what type of room, but we will be on the mariner in a junior suite

Well.........sure.....absolutely............you can bring either a small or medium small steamer............trunk........on the Mariner.:D

To be honest........if you are talking about a steam iron........please leave it at home.

If you want something "steamed" out.........let your steward know in advance..........and the chances are that they will take care of you.....and not charge you.

Rick

Two weeks ago I was on a cruise and had a steamer. The reason I had the reason was we first spent some time in Florida and I had it in my luggage. Didn't really have it for the ship but obviously still in my luggage.

I could tell that someone went through my that piece of luggage. Steamer was in the box it came in but was not removed from my luggage.

I'll make sure to leave in the car next time. Only needed a few things ironed and it cost me about $15.

Personally I don't really think steamers are hazards. Mine shuts off automatically. But I don't want to buck the rules.

a big, emphatic NO.

Just off today, where we "tried" to bring on a small travel steamer that came in it's own drawstring bag (no flames please!). Well, my DW tried anyway. Her bag did not make it to our room. After hours waiting, visiting the purser's desk, and asking our stateroom attendant for help, he located our bag in the quarantine area. Many bags were there with pieces of tape with the letter "I" on them ("IRON"). OURs read "SUSPICIOUS", because security could not make out what was in the little carrying bag. We had to open it there, and it was promptly confiscated.

Funny thing -- we received it back the night before disembarkation. So why would we get it back then? Isn't there still a danger of us using it while on the ship?:confused:

Another funny thing -- there was one bag in the quarantine with the word "CUFFS" on it! :eek:

BTW, we were in a PR room.

Perhaps they were giving you credit for learning the lesson that your steamer is not allowed, and were assuming that you would be responsible enough not to use it that last night.

I guess I was not clear about what I said.

I never used the steamer on the ship. I used it in Florida as we were there a few days. When we packed at the hotel to go to the ship, I didn't think about not being able to have it. Cruised many times so I know the rules but it was not on my mind at the time.

Anyway, when we got our luggage the first day, I noted that someone had gone through the piece of luggage that the steamer was in. I pack it in the box it came in and it was still in tack.

When I realized why they probably went through the luggage as they must have seen it on the scan, I made sure I didn't use it.

Instead for the few things for evenings that I wanted pressed, I paid $15 and got my formal night clothes pressed free as we were in a grand suite.

Hope this clarified my first post.

I had heard, too, you couldn't bring steamers on. Husband bought me one from Santa Claus for Christmas after paying $20 to have his tux pressed the last cruise before that. Hated to burst his bubble, but didn't take it because I read you couldn't.

However, on the Navigator of the Seas trans-Atlantic in April, they were selling them in the general store. I would imagine if you went to buy one and they said they couldn't give it to you until the last day, you would say "nevermind" so I can reasonably assume they didn't mind them--unless it was a matter if "you buy from us, o.k." if you don't, not o.k. Like the wine policy. Can't bring any on the ship but can buy from them (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Clothes steamers are not listed among items prohibited to bring on the ship. Irons, yes, but steamers are not listed as prohibited. Perhaps the crew who check luggage erroneously equate steamers with irons.

I just checked our steamer and iron. The iron uses 1100 watts, but the steamer only 300 watts. The iron, with other electrical items on the same circuit might trip a circuit breaker, but the steamer is highly unlikely to do so. In any case, a 15 amp circuit will handle either alone.

Of course, a tripped circuit breaker will terminate power to that circuit immediately anyway to avoid a fire hazard.

I would think the logical reason for prohibiting irons is to avoid any chance that someone leaves the iron on over a flammable piece of material, thus possibly starting a fire. A steamer cannot start a fire, except by developing a short circuit and having a defective circuit breaker which fails to shut off that circuit.

I suspect some ship's crew just think "irons remove wrinkles, and steamers remove wrinkles, so the two must be the same."

There is another, but very inefficient, way to remove wrinkles. Hang the wrinkled item close to the shower, turn on the shower to its hottest, and close the room door. The steam, (technically water vapor) will get rid of most wrinkles. Of course this is very wasteful of hot water and the energy used to heat it. This is what should be prohibited, not steamers.

I see coffee makers are prohibited. Perhaps that is to avoid a mess that the room steward would have to clean up. Who would want to bring a coffee maker anyway?

Anyone is welcome to correct any detail here. :rolleyes:

(edited) OK, I just checked the longer, detailed, list of prohibited items, and see that "Irons/Clothes Steamers" are not allowed. I guess those who wrote the prohibited list think they are the same.

Bob :cool:

Maybe Royal Caribbean management people think they will increase revenue by forcing cruisers to send wrinkled closes to the ship's cleaners. Sometimes I think that Royal Caribbean management people act illogically.

On the other hand, as economists always say, maybe there is something I don't know. Highly unlikely, but possible. :D

I've said it before....I think it's very strange that they don't allow steamers, yet Royal Caribbean was selling them in the gift shop aboard the Grandeur in February...........

Perhaps my comment above, made tongue in cheek, really is true.

"Maybe Royal Caribbean management people think they will increase revenue by forcing cruisers to send wrinkled closes to the ship's cleaners. Sometimes I think that Royal Caribbean management people act illogically."

It all becomes clear now. :rolleyes: RC has a director of prohibited items, and one of the duties of that position is to find items which can be included in the prohibited list. :D An added benefit will be that some items can be sold aboard ship, thus increasing revenue. :D "Ah Ha, we now list irons, so let's add steamers so we can sell them in the shop for profit." ;)

Did you find out if the steamers sold in the gift shop were held back until the last night, as is the liquor sold there? :D

I have taken our Sunbeam steamer on board our last 5 or 6 cruises on RCCL, Princess and Celebrity. It was in our checked luggage and was never confiscated.

We also left it out on occasion where the room steward could see it and he never reported us.

I have always used it and it comes in very handy especially as we usually travel at least 12 hours to get to the port city.

This is not meant to be a commentary on whether or not we are doing the right thing just stating the facts.

bobblsc

Steamers ARE on the list of prohibited items now.

Have brought mine on in the past but now leave it at home. I usually have good

luck with the shower steam trick, and occasionally send a couple things of DH for

pressing. Don't want to make the xray man angry.

bobblsc

Steamers ARE on the list of prohibited items now.

Have brought mine on in the past but now leave it at home. I usually have good

luck with the shower steam trick, and occasionally send a couple things of DH for

pressing. Don't want to make the xray man angry.

Yes, I saw they are on the prohibited list. Quote from my post: "(edited) OK, I just checked the longer, detailed, list of prohibited items, and see that "Irons/Clothes Steamers" are not allowed. I guess those who wrote the prohibited list think they are the same."

I originally saw they were not on the prohibited list on "What to pack", or something similar. I looked at "Frequently Asked Questions after posting, and found steamers listed there as prohibited. That was the reason for my edit.

The prohibited listings should be consistent. The Royal Caribbean people should visit the movie Cool Hand Luke. "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Theresa522 raises an interesting question. RCL is at least consistent among their lines. Celebrity also prohibits steamers. I cannot find lists of prohibited items for HAL or Carnival. My bet is that all lines do not prohibit steamers, but it is not worth any more effort to check.

I still say there is no valid safety issue with steamers. If there is shown a reasonable argument that there is a real safety issue, I will retract my comment.

There are threads much more fun than this one. I just think RCL management acts unwisely from time to time.

We did not take our steamer on our last cruise, a Celebrity TA, because we stopped in New York for a few nights on our way to Europe. We therefore could not check two bags without additional cost. Our decision was to check only one bag each and space was limited. However, we did take some Downey wrinkle release.

I don't bring an iron on board or a steamer, not enough room in the bag after all the shoe's my wife brings, but she also includes a "flat iron". Seems as though women with curly hair do everything possible to get straight hair, and those with straight hair get perms...... we all want what we don't have.

Anyway that thing gets hot enough to iron clothes, or at least it seems to. When she has that thing on, and the 1800 watt hairdryer going, the cabin gets really hot.

It just seems odd to me that an iron is not allowed, but a "flat iron" is allowed. Being a man, with a very high forehead, (going bald for those of you that don't get my sarcasm), the idea of the flat iron is somewhat confusing. Oh I am sure the clothes iron can get hotter, but the fact that she can go from very tight kinky curls to completely straight hair with one swipe of that thing means my shirts might get "flat ironed" in the future. Just don't tell her what I am doing with her stuff :0

Archived