Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi,

We are arriving in Dubrovnik onboard P&O Arcadia on 20th May 2012 and assume we will dock at Gruz Harbour. As my wife and I are keen walkers is it a pleasant walk to the Old town from the port and roughly how long will this take for a couple of reasonably fit mid 50 year olds? Should we take any shuttle or local bus instead?

Is Fort Lovrijenac worth a visit?

Is Gradac also worth a visit?

Cheers

The walk up to town from Gruz harbor is not interesting at all, you will be passing many of our business area and only view will be of buildings. Do use either the shuttle or local bus, much easier and you can spend your limited time within the old town. Walk the city wall, 2 kilometers long and a grand total of 1080 steps. Get off the main promenade, which we call the Stradun, and spend time on the small side alleys. That is where you will find interesting shops and more local type cafes and restaurants.

I really have a difficult time answering your questions as to if a site is worth it. Since I have a personal connection to Fort Lovrijenac and I love the view, it is for me more than enjoyable.

Rather than spend time in Gradac, you may want to take the ferry from the old port to the island of Lokrum. Our national preserve, spending time on the island is a always much nicer than Gradac. That being said, do understand these are my personal preferences and you may find your own while here.

Carnevale, would you conside sharing the document that you've compiled? I realize it will be a long post, but I've seen it done on other threads and then we could all benefit from all the information that's here. Or possibly email it to me if you'd rather not post it?

I'm happy to email my notes to anyone who wants them. Just post your email address and I'll send them along. I must warn you however that I didn't edit them a lot. They are grouped into categories but there is probably some overlap as I just cut and paste things that stood out for me as I went along. I tried to remember to put in the date of the post when noting costs but I may have missed a few too so some might be older and current prices may be higher.

DubrovnikTravelLady, many thanks for the food suggestions. I'll be looking for these items - they sound great! And no, I didn't realize some put sugar into honey and agree that sounds awful.

I know you can't recommend specific stores, but can you (or others who have been to Dubrovnik) tell me if there is a grocery store in or near the Old Town? Or I can probably ask when we have lunch as those at the restaurant should be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm happy to email my notes to anyone who wants them. Just post your email address and I'll send them along. I must warn you however that I didn't edit them a lot. They are grouped into categories but there is probably some overlap as I just cut and paste things that stood out for me as I went along. I tried to remember to put in the date of the post when noting costs but I may have missed a few too so some might be older and current prices may be higher.

DubrovnikTravelLady, many thanks for the food suggestions. I'll be looking for these items - they sound great! And no, I didn't realize some put sugar into honey and agree that sounds awful.

I know you can't recommend specific stores, but can you (or others who have been to Dubrovnik) tell me if there is a grocery store in or near the Old Town? Or I can probably ask when we have lunch as those at the restaurant should be able to point me in the right direction.

If you are going to buy the sun dried figs, almonds or honey, then by all means try to reach the green market in the old town prior to Noon. You can make your purchase directly from the local resident who have made these wonderful items in their kitchen. Do not bother with the grocery stores as so much of our products are imported. The small green market is easy to find, located at Gundilic Square.

If you are going to buy the sun dried figs, almonds or honey, then by all means try to reach the green market in the old town prior to Noon. You can make your purchase directly from the local resident who have made these wonderful items in their kitchen. Do not bother with the grocery stores as so much of our products are imported. The small green market is easy to find, located at Gundilic Square.

Do you know if the green market is open on Sundays in October?

Thank you!

We will be in Dubrovnik in May on a day which there will be 7 ships in port. We have an excursion that is 3 1/2 hours and will take us out of Dubrovnik till 6pm. Our ship doesn't leave till 10pm. I am very interested in buying some Croatian embroidery....red and white hopefully...and am wondering how late the ladies stay who are selling near the cruise area?

We will be in Dubrovnik in May on a day which there will be 7 ships in port. We have an excursion that is 3 1/2 hours and will take us out of Dubrovnik till 6pm. Our ship doesn't leave till 10pm. I am very interested in buying some Croatian embroidery....red and white hopefully...and am wondering how late the ladies stay who are selling near the cruise area?

If you are looking to buy the Konavle embroidery, you should be looking for it inside of the old town and not at the port.

I was looking at the Frommer's website and found a walking tour that takes in many of the sights that DubrovnikTravelLady has recommended. Having never been there I can't say anything about the quality of this tour or the info it contains, but I thought I'd share it in case others find it useful. You can find it at http://www.frommers.com/destinations/dubrovnik/3280010008.html (I think it's okay to post links like this on CC... Please let me know if it isn't).

I was looking at the Frommer's website and found a walking tour that takes in many of the sights that DubrovnikTravelLady has recommended. Having never been there I can't say anything about the quality of this tour or the info it contains, but I thought I'd share it in case others find it useful. You can find it at http://www.frommers.com/destinations/dubrovnik/3280010008.html (I think it's okay to post links like this on CC... Please let me know if it isn't).

Thanks - very useful information.

Please send me your notes . We will be in Dubrovnik on the Silhouette on Monday June 25th and just starting our research. Mbcullen78@yahoo.com

Thanks much --Michele

Hi Dubrovniktravellady,

Thank you so much for your fabulous information. I am truly amazed at all the great advice that you have posted over the last 4 years. Am looking forward to our visit to your beautiful country. We are only in port from 12-8 on the 25th. Do you have any additional recommendations beyond walking the wall and enjoying a great meal of local fish. Will we have enough time to do any excursions outside of the city. We are both very active and fit 50 something's, and enjoy being outdoors. Also, what is the "dress code" in Dubrovnik? I am assuming that casual attire e.g cropped pants or shorts might be acceptable? Also, do you know how many ships will be in port that day?

Do you miss northern Californnia at all? We love the bay area and would find it hard to leave, but of course we have not seen your new home.

Hi Dubrovniktravellady,

Thank you so much for your fabulous information. I am truly amazed at all the great advice that you have posted over the last 4 years. Am looking forward to our visit to your beautiful country. We are only in port from 12-8 on the 25th. Do you have any additional recommendations beyond walking the wall and enjoying a great meal of local fish. Will we have enough time to do any excursions outside of the city. We are both very active and fit 50 something's, and enjoy being outdoors. Also, what is the "dress code" in Dubrovnik? I am assuming that casual attire e.g cropped pants or shorts might be acceptable? Also, do you know how many ships will be in port that day?

Do you miss northern Californnia at all? We love the bay area and would find it hard to leave, but of course we have not seen your new home.

There is much to see inside of the old town, doubt you will have time to visit the outlying areas. Perhaps the 15 minute ferry ride to the island of Lokrum would interest you, it is our natural preserve and a wonderful place to stroll and have a swim off the rocks. We do not have many walk in type beaches, only one called Banje which is located just outside of the Ploce gate. I much prefer Lokrum, less crowded and please do remember don't waste money eating at the restaurant on Lokrum. You have much better choices in the old town for food and drink. Do not miss the cable car ride, it is a must! And please locate the Rupe Museum, so worth seeing our cultural site of life.

Your arrival date, thus far, only shows one other Costa ship arriving on the same date but much earlier in the day. That being said, you may want to check the port authority website closer to your arrival to verify more ships have been added. I downloaded all months this past February but continue to monitor arrivals/departures every month as they always seem to add something.

Interesting that you ask about clothing, the subject became an issue here since SOME ladies were in town with hardly nothing covering them except two band aids and a bit of dental floss with a shear wrap. Seemed they became indigent when refused entry into one of our monasteries. Pleased to say, there were not Americans but from the land of Oz. The country is predominately Catholic, wear clothing which is comfortable and respectful and remember cotton and linen breath during our hot and humid summers.

Do I miss California, simple answer is NO! I do miss my family but with skype we are able to talk every Sunday and I do try to get back there every couple of years. However, I do miss a clothes dryer, garbage disposal and peanut butter and oh yes, zip log freezer bags. However I now have a good supply of bags thanks to several cruisers with whom I have had lunch or coffee. Seems the blog writings have become of interest and I am finally shown on the first page of google search - took 2 years to even show up online. I knew Dubrovnik was home as early as 1971, but took me 37 years to make the jump across the pond.

Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art, do savor it slowly.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Carnevale please could you email me your notes.

Thanks in advance marylynewilliams@hotmail.com

Does anyone know how many ships are in port on 17th May, we are on Celebrity Solstice and the cost of the cable car. Really looking forward to our visit.

Thanks Marylyne

:)

Only a couple of other ships arriving on 17 May, a grand total of 5,000 cruisers. Not bad at all compared to other dates.

The cost of the cable car is still showing at 80 Kuna, round trip. Last year they would not accept Euros, but you can pay with either a credit or debit card. Do be prepared there is the possibility of the fee changing prior to your arrival. Lots of chatter about fees being increased this season, but nothing firm as yet.

Carnevale - can you please send me your notes (even though I really did read all the 41 pages!!) My email is jesolen@hotmail.com

Dubrovniktravelady - I really appreciate you keeping us all up to date on the what/where/how of Dubrovnik. Honey is one of my favorite things and I never thought about buying it while away.

We will be in Dubrovnik on October 28th. I thought it looked like only one other ship - am I correct?

Thanks. Where do you suggest inside the old town for konalve embroidery?

If you take time to walk up some of the side streets, you will find shops which sell the local embroidery products. The trick is to get off the main promenade, as the prices are always much higher for everything including our wonderful coffee. As a local resident I am not able to be give you the name of any specific shops, as per cruise critic rules.

Carnevale - can you please send me your notes (even though I really did read all the 41 pages!!) My email is jesolen@hotmail.com

Dubrovniktravelady - I really appreciate you keeping us all up to date on the what/where/how of Dubrovnik. Honey is one of my favorite things and I never thought about buying it while away.

We will be in Dubrovnik on October 28th. I thought it looked like only one other ship - am I correct?

Yes you are correct, only Costa and they will be at tender in the old port. However do remember to check again prior to your arrival for a more accurate update.

When buying honey, do remember to pack it inside your suitcase, my friends lost their bottle when entering the USA by the TSA people last year.

This thread has been so helpful but now as our trip nears closer I’m confused on which attractions will take only Kuna. I have Rector’s Palace and Rupe Museum as Kuna only, as well as the Cabrio Bus. What was the final verdict on the wall, will they still accept credit card? I bought quite a bit of Kuna in advance, but am trying to figure out the places I can use credit card too. I figure it will be easier to pay Kuna at the café’s if I have any left, but a lot of those will probably accept credit card. Any info on current prices and currencies accepted is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brenda

This thread has been so helpful but now as our trip nears closer I’m confused on which attractions will take only Kuna. I have Rector’s Palace and Rupe Museum as Kuna only, as well as the Cabrio Bus. What was the final verdict on the wall, will they still accept credit card? I bought quite a bit of Kuna in advance, but am trying to figure out the places I can use credit card too. I figure it will be easier to pay Kuna at the café’s if I have any left, but a lot of those will probably accept credit card. Any info on current prices and currencies accepted is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brenda

The legal currency of the country is Croatian Kuna, everyone must accept it as payment. If you choose to use a credit card, I suggest you do so at the end of your day if you have used all your kuna. The city wall, cable car and some restaurants will accept credit cards, many small shops will not. It is hit or miss in the old town.

The legal currency of the country is Croatian Kuna, everyone must accept it as payment. If you choose to use a credit card, I suggest you do so at the end of your day if you have used all your kuna. The city wall, cable car and some restaurants will accept credit cards, many small shops will not. It is hit or miss in the old town.

Thanks...I am so excited about this port I can't even tell you!