Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravelady-

Thanks for the link to the icon museum website. Hopefully, it will be open when we are there 25 September. I have been studying up on icons and think I will be able to tell real from fake and old from new. I usually bring a small magnifying glass so I can look carefully at the workmanship. But....there is always a chance of being "fooled" by something. I will be very careful :).

<<<Karen>>>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, we will be in port on Sunday April 26/ 2:00-9:00

Wondering if winter hrs. will still be in effect, and if sites will be open on Sun.

We had planned to visit what sites we can , then explore the old town streets until dusk, and find a café for dinner.

With our limited time we need to plan carefully , and are trying to see how late the shops/cafes/museums remain open.

thank you so much for any help

Hello, we will be in port on Sunday April 26/ 2:00-9:00

Wondering if winter hrs. will still be in effect, and if sites will be open on Sun.

We had planned to visit what sites we can , then explore the old town streets until dusk, and find a café for dinner.

With our limited time we need to plan carefully , and are trying to see how late the shops/cafes/museums remain open.

thank you so much for any help

I am assuming you are arriving here in April 2015. We normally begin our high season hours in mid March, with some restaurants opening just after Easter Sunday. Attached is the website for our museums. Perhaps plan to stay in town until the early evening hours, after the masses have excited. Late April sunsets will be about 1900.

http://dumus.hr/en/plan-a-visit/hours-of-work/

Hello,

We just returned from our cruise and wanted to say that Dubrovnik was one of our favorite places we have ever visited. Loved it and would return in a heartbeat.

But I wanted to add that we were told by the cruise line (Oceania) that Euros are accepted in Dubrovnik. Having read here on CC that not all businesses accept Euros, we stopped at the ATM right before entering the Ploce gate and pulled out 100 Kuna.

While our taxi driver accepted Euros, many places (including the wall) did not. We used our credit or debit card for the wall (can't remember which it was) but found that most of the little shops did not accept anything other than Kuna.

Just a little tip.

Hello,

We just returned from our cruise and wanted to say that Dubrovnik was one of our favorite places we have ever visited. Loved it and would return in a heartbeat.

But I wanted to add that we were told by the cruise line (Oceania) that Euros are accepted in Dubrovnik. Having read here on CC that not all businesses accept Euros, we stopped at the ATM right before entering the Ploce gate and pulled out 100 Kuna.

While our taxi driver accepted Euros, many places (including the wall) did not. We used our credit or debit card for the wall (can't remember which it was) but found that most of the little shops did not accept anything other than Kuna.

Just a little tip.

Thanks for posting your personal experience. While some vendors may accept Euros, be assured the exchange rate would not be in your favor. Cable car and city wall accepts credit cards, but always best to have some local currency on hand.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed Dubrovnik, easy to understand why I choose it as my retirement spot. Come back, do a land tour and enjoy the wonders of the Dalmatian coast and our Plitvice Lakes.

Dubrovniktravelady- Yes, While cruising only allows a limited time, it also allows us to get a feel for the places we would like to return.

Dubrovnik is definately a place we would return someday and do a land trip!

Thanks for all the help you provide to us here on CruiseCritic.

:-)

Dubrovniktravelady- Yes, While cruising only allows a limited time, it also allows us to get a feel for the places we would like to return.

Dubrovnik is definately a place we would return someday and do a land trip!

Thanks for all the help you provide to us here on CruiseCritic.

:-)

Please let me know when you decide to explore our natural wonders. I am always available for a coffee at my favorite cafes on the Cavtat Riva. Begin at Plitvice Lakes, you will be amazed at the beauty.

This relates to all of Croatia, not just Dubrovnik but is something I wonder if others have run into. When we were in our first Croation port, Hvar, I went to an ATM to get kuna. Tried one machine a couple of times -- went all the way through the transaction and then at the end instead of dispensing kuna a message showed up "transaction declined." Odd, I tried another machine. Same thing. Then a third with a woman from the bank helping me so i could make sure I had not done anything wrong -- still no kuna. At that point i just gave up and went into the bank to have them change dollars into kuna. When I returned home my credit union confirmed that plenty of funds were available in my account, rather but the problem was Croatia is on their blocked country list of "OFAC", economic sanctions enforcement guidelines,along with 20 other countries. Their fraud department confirmed all transactions occurring or processed through those countries are blocked. Has anyone else run into this issue? I find it totally bizarre!

This relates to all of Croatia, not just Dubrovnik but is something I wonder if others have run into. When we were in our first Croation port, Hvar, I went to an ATM to get kuna. Tried one machine a couple of times -- went all the way through the transaction and then at the end instead of dispensing kuna a message showed up "transaction declined." Odd, I tried another machine. Same thing. Then a third with a woman from the bank helping me so i could make sure I had not done anything wrong -- still no kuna. At that point i just gave up and went into the bank to have them change dollars into kuna. When I returned home my credit union confirmed that plenty of funds were available in my account, rather but the problem was Croatia is on their blocked country list of "OFAC", economic sanctions enforcement guidelines,along with 20 other countries. Their fraud department confirmed all transactions occurring or processed through those countries are blocked. Has anyone else run into this issue? I find it totally bizarre!

First I can only relate to my own personal experience here. I still maintain my Wells Fargo bank account and have been withdrawing monies for the past 6 years with no problems. It does seem very strange to me that Croatia would block travelers from obtaining our currency with our tourist industry. If this were true, then why did the bank change your cash? The entire incident is totally bizarre, I agree.

Well I have written letter to the President of the credit union asking for a better explanation. Nonetheless I may well end up closing my account there and opening one with Chase. What is really strange is that some of the countries you would expect to be on the list are not and some of those on the list, such as Croatia , make no sense at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our family of four will be into Dubrovnik on July 19 -- we will be coming in on Splendour of the Seas -- last ship of four into Berth 11 that day... after reading many threads we were wondering if arriving at 11:30 that day...we might be better off to take a cab from Berth 11 (I take it that is at Gruz) to the Ploce Gate area to do the cable car and walk the walls from there toward Pile gate. Looks like the Pile Gate gets busy and there will be close to 7000 people arriving that day. Dubrovnik Travel Lady -- would it be a good plan to take the cab to the cable car, ride the cable car, walk around the Old Town area/have a quick lunch?? Quick lunch possible?? Then walk the wall toward the Pile Gate and catch a cab back to the ship from there??? thank you for any advice!! Arriving last is a bit disappointing but it is what it is! :-)

Our family of four will be into Dubrovnik on July 19 -- we will be coming in on Splendour of the Seas -- last ship of four into Berth 11 that day... after reading many threads we were wondering if arriving at 11:30 that day...we might be better off to take a cab from Berth 11 (I take it that is at Gruz) to the Ploce Gate area to do the cable car and walk the walls from there toward Pile gate. Looks like the Pile Gate gets busy and there will be close to 7000 people arriving that day. Dubrovnik Travel Lady -- would it be a good plan to take the cab to the cable car, ride the cable car, walk around the Old Town area/have a quick lunch?? Quick lunch possible?? Then walk the wall toward the Pile Gate and catch a cab back to the ship from there??? thank you for any advice!! Arriving last is a bit disappointing but it is what it is! :-)

Your plan is good and with such a late arrival, it makes sense take the taxi to the cable car first. It will also afford you my favorite view of the old town and you may want to visit Fort Imperial which is now a small museum from the 1991 homeland war.

Going up on the wall from Ploce entrance is normally fast and easy, you will then begin the more difficult with the majority of the 1,080 steps. You may be able to walk the entire circuit, depending on your time.

Do keep in mind we do not have any 'fast food' here. There are many restaurants which serve fresh sea food or pasta or my favorite civapcici (meat sausages) which are delicious. Most foods are cooked to order, so fast service isn't always an option.

Yes by all means, use our taxi service to and from the Grus harbor, that is best option.

Cable car and the wall accept credit cards, as do some restaurants. However for small items such as water or souvenirs it is best to use Croatian Kuna.

Taxi to and from the Gruz harbor is a must, your time is limited and always makes good sense to use it wisely. Your time here will afford you a small taste of Dubrovnik, perhaps plan to make a land tour someday. The country has much to see, come back and explore my retirement home. Enjoy your day.

I am assuming you are arriving here in April 2015. We normally begin our high season hours in mid March, with some restaurants opening just after Easter Sunday. Attached is the website for our museums. Perhaps plan to stay in town until the early evening hours, after the masses have excited. Late April sunsets will be about 1900.

http://dumus.hr/en/plan-a-visit/hours-of-work/

Dubrovniktravelady, we have been away and are just now catching up with cruise critic, but I wanted to thank you so much for your response and very helpful information. The museum website is great and will help us in planning our limited time.

This is off topic for touring information, but do you know if there is a shop in the old city area where one can purchase University of Dubrovnik items like t-shirts. We will not have time to look outside of the old town.

thank you again for all your help and information

Edited by more2sea

Dubrovniktravelady, we have been away and are just now catching up with cruise critic, but I wanted to thank you so much for your response and very helpful information. The museum website is great and will help us in planning our limited time.

This is off topic for touring information, but do you know if there is a shop in the old city area where one can purchase University of Dubrovnik items like t-shirts. We will not have time to look outside of the old town.

thank you again for all your help and information

There are many t-shirts shops in the old town, however I have never noticed if any of them offer University of Dubrovnik items. Since you are arriving next year, I will try to find out if there is any type of store which has any items or is it just t-shirts?

There are many t-shirts shops in the old town, however I have never noticed if any of them offer University of Dubrovnik items. Since you are arriving next year, I will try to find out if there is any type of store which has any items or is it just t-shirts?

Thank you again for your help;

so kind of you to offer to try and find out information for us. (t-shirt or baseball type cap)

If you happen to go by a shop that has university items that would be great, but please don't go to any trouble. We have a family member who visits university campuses when travelling, as we will not have the time in Dubrovnik I thought a shirt or cap would be nice.

thanks again, you are so helpful to all, I don't want to bother you, so only if you happen upon a shop (that may be open on a Sun. afternoon.)

Edited by more2sea

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been looking at the route map for the cabrio city bus tour and I just can't figure out where to pick it up close to the old city walls. It is appearing to be the pile gate, is this correct? Also, where do I buy tickets for this? I am also making the assumption that it is a circlular route and I can get off where I got on? Thanks for all of your help.

Cheryl

Hi,

I have been looking at the route map for the cabrio city bus tour and I just can't figure out where to pick it up close to the old city walls. It is appearing to be the pile gate, is this correct? Also, where do I buy tickets for this? I am also making the assumption that it is a circlular route and I can get off where I got on? Thanks for all of your help.

Cheryl

Your best choice to begin Cabrio is Pile gate area. You will pay as you board the bus, I strongly suggest you have the exact amount and do use Croatian Kuna. Cabrio may or may not accept Euros, I am not sure. That being said, what was true last year may not necessarily be true this year. Use Kunas!

I'm really interested in doing the "Game of Thrones" tour while in Dubrovnik but not sure if touring the walls will get me a very similar experience. Anyone have a suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The wall was only one small location for filming. There are several GoT tours, but I have no personal experience with any of them. Any good qualified licensed guide would be able to show you the filming locations, there are about 4 to 5 major sites inside of the old town.

I'm really interested in doing the "Game of Thrones" tour while in Dubrovnik but not sure if touring the walls will get me a very similar experience. Anyone have a suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My family and I have booked with Viator for a three hour walking tour about Game of Thrones filming of Kings Landing. It was $86 each. The only problem is you have to meet in Old Town. They don't come to the docks. It will be an adventure. There is an additional component (more money) if anyone wants where they will take you to the gardens where filming was done also. (1-1/2 hrs). Hope this helps.:)

Can anyone tell me conclusively how high the cliff at Buza 1 is? Buza 1 is the highest of the 2 cliffs outside the Old City Walls that jumpers use. I have heard many different heights - from 30 meters to 70 feet. What is the actual height?

Thanks for any help!

Can anyone tell me conclusively how high the cliff at Buza 1 is? Buza 1 is the highest of the 2 cliffs outside the Old City Walls that jumpers use. I have heard many different heights - from 30 meters to 70 feet. What is the actual height?

Thanks for any help!

I have no idea what you mean by Buza 1. There are two buza bars, the first one is closer to the water and the rocks are not very high, about 10 meters. The second one is further from the old town, is the original, and they have the high rock about 25 meters. It is not cliff diving, but do understand that the water is deep and the currents are strong. You had better be a darn good swimmer, depending on when you expect to be here. Also an FYI, the rock is slippery and ask the young Australian lady who changed her mind, what happened when she tried to turn around up there and slipped!