Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

As I don't know of the Australian girl as it wasnt reported here I'm wondering what happened ?

A short version of a very long story and a courageous young couple!

A lovely couple on their honeymoon, Dubrovnik was at the beginning part. She stood atop the rock and changed her mind about jumping. She turned to return, slipped and plunged down facing the rocks. Part of her face was badly injured, she lost a couple of organs and spend time recuperating in our Dubrovnik hospital. Her wonderful parents flew in and took her to Italy for reconstructive surgery. Had it not have been that one of our locals was close, she made not have survived. Last summer, after 2 years, the couple returned to thank the hospital staff and the young man. What a thoughtful and kind gesture from a lovely couple!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Oh dear. That sounds awful Dubrovniktravelady. Thankyou for filling me in. I agree, it's a risky thing to do especially when as a tourist you just don't know the risks but when on holidays people leave their brains at home.

I will be visiting Dubrovnik in early September while on our Mediterranean cruise.

Two questions:

(1) What is a reasonable rate (Kuna or Euro) for a taxi (plus tip) to the Old City?

(2) What would be the minimum USD recommended when converting to Kuna if I will be paying in cash for taxis (to and from the port), lunch and potentially a souvenir or two. I was thinking in the ball park of $100.

Thanks for the help!

Taxi fare from the Gruz port is 75 Kuna, round it up to 80 Kuna.

I still maintain a California bank account and use my ATM debit card to obtain Kuna. The rates are determined by your bank and there is no Croatian service charges. If you do inside the bank and change cash, you will get a lower exchange and pay a service charge. Do check with your bank if what is their charge to obtain foreign currency. I pay $5.00 for each withdrawal.

One hundred USD will give you approximately 500 Kuna, probably enough for lunch and some souvenirs.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Couple questions for an upcoming trip to Dubrovnik:

1. My cruise gets into Dubrovnik at 2pm and leaves at 9pm. Ideally, I would love to see the Old City and even do a Game of Thrones tour. However, all I can find are morning tours, which won't work. Does anyone have a recommendation for an afternoon tour or other tour guide outlets?

2. My travel mate and I would love to find a lounge-esque type of restaurant/bar/cafe in Dubrovnik to sample good food and drinks in a relaxing, chill environment. Any recommendations?

That sounds similar to the Equinox. I did find a group through google that did afternoon GOT tours but the only ones left started at 4pm. The 2pm was booked out. The 4pm would have worked but we didn't want to be out at the later time as we had dinner reservations. Just contact one of the tours and see what they say. That's what I did.

Hi

I loved the Market stalls around town the last time I visited. I can't remember so can you tell me is it just Kunas they accept.

Many thanks :)

My experience only, the stores accepted credit cards, but the little market stands you remember only accepted kunas. I was so disappointed because I had only Euros and couldn't buy anything. :mad: This time I will be prepared!

:)

My experience only, the stores accepted credit cards, but the little market stands you remember only accepted kunas. I was so disappointed because I had only Euros and couldn't buy anything. :mad: This time I will be prepared!

:)

Thanks Marianna. That's what I thought. So must get my Kunas.

I did love the wee stalls, looking forward to returning

Thanks Marianna. That's what I thought. So must get my Kunas.

I did love the wee stalls, looking forward to returning

I assume you are coming in on a cruise line. Most will have kunas available for exchange at no commission charge. We intend to exchange as soon as we get settled in on board - to prevent from the ship "running" out.The exchange rates are competitive and it is really tough to find Kunas stateside. Good Luck. We are headed there early October n Royal Caribbean cruise. :)

I don't know anything about RCL however I can tell you that Princess does charge a commission on both the sell and buy side in the range of $3.50 to $4.00 per transaction and their exchange rate is very high or low depending upon whether you are buying or selling a foreign currency. We have found an ATM to either Split or Dubrovnik the best way to obtain Kunas. I believe in and earlier post Dubrovniktravelady has recommended 500 Kunas for your day in Dubrovnik and indeed we have found this to be the case. Be careful about purchasing to many as they can be difficult to sell; on one occasion I purchased 1000 Kunas in Split and then due to weather we failed to enter Dubrovnik so I had about 700 Kunas which I needed to sell, I traipsed all over Gibraltar going to banks and currency exchanges trying to get rid of them...no one would take them. I finally found an AMEX exchange desk in LHR which took them at a reasonable rate and commission.

• 10 months later...
I am taking the liberty of bumping this thread as it is the season for Dubrovnik and this contains a lot of useful information.

Dubrovniktravelady, you have been very quiet, I hope you are well.:)

Hey putterdude I was excited to see your name again. I am ok, still mourning the loss of Ivo this past Christmas.

Hey putterdude I was excited to see your name again. I am ok, still mourning the loss of Ivo this past Christmas.

We are extremely sorry to learn of your loss but believe at times like this that he is in a much better place.

I have had a leg injury and while I can walk, I cannot do long distances and cannot climb stairs. We have decided not to do the walls. We did that on the last visit.

However, we would like to go on the cable car. If we hire a taxi at the port, how close can the taxi get us to the entrance to the cable car so that I would not have to climb too much?

Thanks for any and all help.

Terri

I have had a leg injury and while I can walk, I cannot do long distances and cannot climb stairs. We have decided not to do the walls. We did that on the last visit.

However, we would like to go on the cable car. If we hire a taxi at the port, how close can the taxi get us to the entrance to the cable car so that I would not have to climb too much?

Thanks for any and all help.

Terri

A cab from the port to the cable car will be about €15. The drop off is about 10 feet from the ticket booth. No problem at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, we have a table reservation for the restaurant at the top of the Cable car. Does anybody know whether they accept Euros, or should I change some money into the local currency. Also does anybody have any experience of the queue to get up the cable car at this time of day? We will be on the Equinox and there are no other ships scheduled to be in port during that day. From reading this thread, it looks as if the taxi drivers will take Euros.:)

Hi everybody, we have a table reservation for the restaurant at the top of the Cable car. Does anybody know whether they accept Euros, or should I change some money into the local currency. Also does anybody have any experience of the queue to get up the cable car at this time of day? We will be on the Equinox and there are no other ships scheduled to be in port during that day. From reading this thread, it looks as if the taxi drivers will take Euros.:)

The Panorama restaurant may or may not accept Euros as payment since it is NOT the legal currency of Croatia. They do, however, accept credit cards and that is the best way to pay since the exchange rate will be determined by your bank. Using Euros here is not to you advantage since the exchange rate will be lower than low. Taxi drivers will accept Euros, however it is best to pay with Croatian Kuna. To obtain cash, use any of our many ATM machines located all over town. Since you do not show a specific date for arrival here, not much to tell you about the queue. We also have many land tourists, not just cruisers. Croatian Kuna is our legal currency, everyone must accept it. Do not bother to waste your Euros in Croatia.

The Panorama restaurant may or may not accept Euros as payment since it is NOT the legal currency of Croatia. They do, however, accept credit cards and that is the best way to pay since the exchange rate will be determined by your bank. Using Euros here is not to you advantage since the exchange rate will be lower than low. Taxi drivers will accept Euros, however it is best to pay with Croatian Kuna. To obtain cash, use any of our many ATM machines located all over town. Since you do not show a specific date for arrival here, not much to tell you about the queue. We also have many land tourists, not just cruisers. Croatian Kuna is our legal currency, everyone must accept it. Do not bother to waste your Euros in Croatia.

Great advice, thank you. We will be in Dubrovnik on 31st August.

Great advice, thank you. We will be in Dubrovnik on 31st August.

You posted that your ship is the only one in port on 31 August, sorry but not true. We will have a total of 5 ships arriving, lucky that 2 are smaller. Grand total of cruisers arriving at 6am, 7am, 8am is over 5,000. The old town will be busy and very crowded, do make sure you get off the ship early. Enjoy...

You posted that your ship is the only one in port on 31 August, sorry but not true. We will have a total of 5 ships arriving, lucky that 2 are smaller. Grand total of cruisers arriving at 6am, 7am, 8am is over 5,000. The old town will be busy and very crowded, do make sure you get off the ship early. Enjoy...

Hello Dubrovniktravelady, could you please tell me where I can find the information on how many ships in port on a specific day. We are in Dubrovnik on Tuesday 1st September on HAL Zuiderdam. From the sites I have found, they show we are the only ship in port. I hope this is right, but probably not. Thanks for your help. Jen.

Hello Dubrovniktravelady, could you please tell me where I can find the information on how many ships in port on a specific day. We are in Dubrovnik on Tuesday 1st September on HAL Zuiderdam. From the sites I have found, they show we are the only ship in port. I hope this is right, but probably not. Thanks for your help. Jen.

No problem and you are correct, the only ship in port on 01 September. Here is the site for those who want accurate data.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

Click on Arrivals/Departures and a new page appears. It is in Croatian but easy to figure out. All the months are listed by number, click on your month and move down to "Prikaz izvjesca" and your month will open. Scroll to your date and all the information is shown. Our port authority is accurate, most others are not even close. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you very much Dubrovniktravelady for your very quick answer. I was hoping I had the right information. We have a big day planned - walk the walls, cable car and then time to wander, eat and enjoy your wonderful town. Much appreciated. :)

Thank you very much Dubrovniktravelady for your very quick answer. I was hoping I had the right information. We have a big day planned - walk the walls, cable car and then time to wander, eat and enjoy your wonderful town. Much appreciated. :)

Please do remember to get off the main promenade and wander up and down the side walkways. They are narrow and often have a small fun type of cafe where you can enjoy some of our local foods. Keep in mind that many places with the ultimate views do not necessarily have good food. Seafood can be expensive, but so very fresh. It is prices by weight, so ask for the total kilo and price. Enjoy...