Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

What's a good activity for night time? Our ship is docked until midnight, so we plan to visit Dubrovnik after dinner. Is the cable car open?

Closing times vary, depends on exactly when you will arrive here. The cable car website should be able to answer your question easily. Perhaps you may be here during our annual summer festival, website attached for the entire program.

Yes there is much to do during the evenings...enjoy.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/?dubrovnik_excursion=timetable

http://www.dubrovnik-festival.hr/en/agenda

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

• 2 weeks later...

We loved our day in Dubrovnik. We we're tendered into Old Town around 10 a.m. We walked the wall starting at the Polce Gate since that was where we were. The wall was not crowded but was hot, remember to bring water. Many areas do go up and require steps so if one has mobility issues keep this in mind. Simply gorgeous views and a wonderful experience. After the wall, we found the street (stairs) to bring you up to the street of the fire station where we knew to cross the street for the cable car . That intersection a bit crazy to cross but most drivers did stop for pedestrians. There was no line, perhaps maybe ten people waiting. The top of the cable car was breathtaking. We had lunch at the cafe on top, tasty with reasonable prices. After returning to town we did some shopping and then took a dip in the sea at the beach. There were many seaside cafes available for drinks or dinner. Don't miss an opportunity to to visit Dubrovnik

Edited by Got2Cruise

We will be stopping in Dubrovnik on 27 September.

There seems to be some conflicting information earlier in this thread, and I know things change over the years. So I'm just looking for a definitive answer on whether Euros are currently accepted for admission to the City Walls and the Cable car?

There seems to be some conflicting information earlier in this thread, and I know things change over the years. So I'm just looking for a definitive answer on whether Euros are currently accepted for admission to the City Walls and the Cable car?

Euros are NOT accepted for the city wall or cable car. It is either Croatian Kuna or credit card, but no foreign currency is accepted. Croatia is still not part of the Euro Zone, thus they have not yet been approved to accept Euros. Being part of the European Union does not automatically give a country entry into the Euro Zone. Simple answer is please use Croatian Kuna.

There have been some major changes to the ticketing this past month at the city walls and perhaps you encountered one of the new people. However i guarantee the walls will accept Kuna, Dollars or Euros. As for some of the shops, it's hit or miss with Euros. Some private owned shops do accept Euros and the government owned shops will only accept Kuna. Since the Kuna is the legal currency of Croatia, it's advisable to obtain some at one of the local ATM machines on the main promenade.

Euros are NOT accepted for the city wall or cable car. It is either Croatian Kuna or credit card, but no foreign currency is accepted. Croatia is still not part of the Euro Zone, thus they have not yet been approved to accept Euros. Being part of the European Union does not automatically give a country entry into the Euro Zone. Simple answer is please use Croatian Kuna.

Did something change over the last few years ?

Yes, things have changed over the last few years. When I first arrived here, 7 years ago, the wall would accept foreign currencies. This changed a few years ago and the law today is Croatian Kuna or credit card.

How many Croatian Kuna roughly would the two of us need for the City Walls, Cable Car and a snack/drink while in port. We're not one for gift shops, but any change could be used. I think I read the cable car was about 108 Kuna return.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/?dubrovnik_excursion=price

Thinking ahead, we the sail to Split, which is also Croatia, so I guess we will need Kuna there as well.

Keith (Southend):)

How many Croatian Kuna roughly would the two of us need for the City Walls, Cable Car and a snack/drink while in port. We're not one for gift shops, but any change could be used. I think I read the cable car was about 108 Kuna return.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/?dubrovnik_excursion=price

Thinking ahead, we the sail to Split, which is also Croatia, so I guess we will need Kuna there as well.

Keith (Southend):)

Cable car is 108 Kuna, city wall is 100 Kuna. How much you will need for snack/drinks depends on you. Please do remember to have water with you on the wall walk, especially if you find yourself up there in the heat. July & August are normally our hottest months, that being said I have September hotter than both. Yes you are correct, you will need Kuna for Split also.

Cable car is 108 Kuna, city wall is 100 Kuna. How much you will need for snack/drinks depends on you. Please do remember to have water with you on the wall walk, especially if you find yourself up there in the heat. July & August are normally our hottest months, that being said I have September hotter than both. Yes you are correct, you will need Kuna for Split also.

The wall and the cable car do take credit cards. I highly recommend doing both. We ate lunch at the top of the cable car and it was very nice. The cafe at the cable car also took credit cards. We did have some kunas because we had three stops in Croatia. We used the cash to purchase water, gelato, and some small souvenirs. I imagine if you use a cab you would need cash also. There were plenty of ATMs in Dubrovnik. We also went to the "beach" where the swimming was a great way to cool off after being in the heat. The beach is free.

After many months of research, my cruise is finally coming soon. I'm still a little confused as to how to get from the cruise ship, berth and gate 10 by the Konzum, to the bus station to catch a bus to Dubrovnik Old Town. (I know I can also take a cab, but want to know how to take the bus as well.) It looks like the bus station (Autobusni Kolodvar I think) is pretty close to berth 10 and the Konzum, but do I have to go out the port gate first, I assume? Then which way do I go to get to the bus station?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I've looked at a map and I'm still confused!

Thanks Got2Cruise, I think the beach will finish the day of nicely :-)

Keith (Southend)

If you walk the entire perimeter you can spot the beaches. Our ship tendered so we entered at the Ploce Gate. If you exit near the Aquarium the beach is close.

After many months of research, my cruise is finally coming soon. I'm still a little confused as to how to get from the cruise ship, berth and gate 10 by the Konzum, to the bus station to catch a bus to Dubrovnik Old Town. (I know I can also take a cab, but want to know how to take the bus as well.) It looks like the bus station (Autobusni Kolodvar I think) is pretty close to berth 10 and the Konzum, but do I have to go out the port gate first, I assume? Then which way do I go to get to the bus station?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I've looked at a map and I'm still confused!

You do not need to go to the main bus terminal to catch the bus to the old town. Just walk out to the main road and look for the bus stop. You can catch either 1A, 1B, 1C to reach the old town. Make sure you have 15 Kuna, no foreign currency and do keep in mind that the driver will have problems changing large bills.

Also do check with your cruise line to see if they are offering a shuttle service, as most do. They can also give you the cost.

If you walk the entire perimeter you can spot the beaches. Our ship tendered so we entered at the Ploce Gate. If you exit near the Aquarium the beach is close.

Exit the old town from Ploce gate, walk straight ahead for about 10 minutes and Banje will be below. Down the far steps to the free side. Enjoy.

Dubrovniktravellady, I have been reading all your posts and gleaned lots of excellent information from them. Thank you!

We are three couples travelling together on the Constellation and hoping to take a taxi into town. I thought since we needed a slightly larger taxi, I would try to book one ahead, and have contacted a few taxi companies. The amounts they are quoting me (in Euros!) are, however, many times higher than the amounts I see, for example, as a guideline on the port authority site. Can you give me an idea of roughly how much we should be paying for the taxi ride from Gruz to the city? Perhaps some of the official sites I have seen are out of date, but on the other hand some of the offers from the taxi companies seem very exaggerated! Would be grateful for your help.

Dubrovniktravellady, I have been reading all your posts and gleaned lots of excellent information from them. Thank you!

We are three couples travelling together on the Constellation and hoping to take a taxi into town. I thought since we needed a slightly larger taxi, I would try to book one ahead, and have contacted a few taxi companies. The amounts they are quoting me (in Euros!) are, however, many times higher than the amounts I see, for example, as a guideline on the port authority site. Can you give me an idea of roughly how much we should be paying for the taxi ride from Gruz to the city? Perhaps some of the official sites I have seen are out of date, but on the other hand some of the offers from the taxi companies seem very exaggerated! Would be grateful for your help.

The taxi drivers will quote in Euros as the vast majority of quests arriving are European. However if you tell them you are paying with Kuna, they cannot refuse. My advice is for you to break up the group into 2 groups, take two the taxis waiting down in line at the docks. The fare should be 75 Kuna per taxi (not per person) or 10 Euros. Do not bother trying to book ahead, they are sitting in line at the Gruz.

• 2 weeks later...
There are a number of reasons Taxi drivers want to be paid in Euro's, most are illegal.

Just point at the taxi meter which has to be in Kuna's and ask the driver to use it.

No do not use the meter, you will end up paying more. There is a quoted rate from the harbor to the old town, 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. The taxi drivers want you to pay in Euros, but it is illegal and they are hoarding Euros in anticipation of Croatia joining the Euro Zone. Pay 75 Kuna, no tip and thank the driver...Hvala

This is the correct advise for the use of Taxis in Croatia, its from the outlook festivals web site. Because as they state it is illegal not to use the meter it also invalidates the drivers insurance.

To quote,<If arriving outside of transfer times a taxi will be the easiest way to get from Pula Airport to the site. Taxis can be hailed outside stations and airports very easily or from taxi ranks in Pula. There is a dedicated taxi rank just outside the Campsite entrance. All legal taxis have meters, and must use them by law. You should ALWAYS ask for a receipt before getting into a taxi, it is a legal requirement. If you do not ask for one, or the taxi driver does not give you one you could both be liable for a fine from inspectors. We will release guide prices for popular routes closer to the summer. If you feel a taxi has overcharged you or they will not issue you with a receipt, please report it to our staff at the drop-off point. We will be monitoring all taxis with access to this restricted area, and will revoke access for any taxi that does not act in our customers’ best interests. Watch out for illegal taxis – although they may be cheaper they are not regulated by the city and you might be putting yourself in unnecessary danger. If you have a complaint about an illegal taxi you will need to talk to the police>