Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

This is the correct advise for the use of Taxis in Croatia, its from the outlook festivals web site. Because as they state it is illegal not to use the meter it also invalidates the drivers insurance.

To quote,<If arriving outside of transfer times a taxi will be the easiest way to get from Pula Airport to the site. Taxis can be hailed outside stations and airports very easily or from taxi ranks in Pula. There is a dedicated taxi rank just outside the Campsite entrance. All legal taxis have meters, and must use them by law. You should ALWAYS ask for a receipt before getting into a taxi, it is a legal requirement. If you do not ask for one, or the taxi driver does not give you one you could both be liable for a fine from inspectors. We will release guide prices for popular routes closer to the summer. If you feel a taxi has overcharged you or they will not issue you with a receipt, please report it to our staff at the drop-off point. We will be monitoring all taxis with access to this restricted area, and will revoke access for any taxi that does not act in our customers’ best interests. Watch out for illegal taxis – although they may be cheaper they are not regulated by the city and you might be putting yourself in unnecessary danger. If you have a complaint about an illegal taxi you will need to talk to the police>

Yes indeed it is the law, but no one here follows it at all. The taxi association has a posted sign at all of their stops with the amounts shown. In all of my years here I have yet to see one driver use the meter.

so Dubrovnik is more lawless than Split, in all my Croatian wifes years in Croatia she insists on the meter.Its the law and in all your years you have been driven without insurance and assisted the black economy.

Ps legal meters give uniform accurate fares, do you really want people to believe taxi driver dont use them to give the punter a cheaper price??????????????

Edited by Keel Haul

so Dubrovnik is more lawless than Split, in all my Croatian wifes years in Croatia she insists on the meter.Its the law and in all your years you have been driven without insurance and assisted the black economy.

Ps legal meters give uniform accurate fares, do you really want people to believe taxi driver dont use them to give the punter a cheaper price??????????????

No I do not want people to believe they are getting cheaper fares. What I want is that drivers start to using meters. Not once, even when requested by me, would they turn it on. Driver seem to believe they can do what they want and have no respect for the law, as do so many here. Try explaining to me why driver do not understand that posted speed limits are not suggestions.

<No I do not want people to believe they are getting cheaper fares. What I want is that drivers start to using meters.>

Then tell the punters here to demand their legal rights! if refused then take the registration number and report it! I have never been denied meter use all over Croatia.

Edited by Keel Haul

My advice would be to take a cab and pay the flat rate Euro charge which is posted, all are aware of it including the regulatory officials, and enjoy your visit to Dubrovnik. Having been there, I can attest to the fact that it is the norm and if Keel Haul wants to make an issue of I am sure that he is quite capable of writing the regulatory authorities in Dubrovnik, this would likely bring as more action then getting into a debate on Cruise Critic.

Dubrovniktravelady, thanks for your patience and for all the great advice you provide. I would hate to see this thread shut down over a debate on what is correct or incorrect in a country we are only visitors in.

We've been to Dubrovnik twice (and will be there again next year with our mums-Yay) and we've always used Euros or a credit card.

The complications of getting foreign money for a 1 day port stop are immense, especially when you may not be able to use any left over. We've got plenty on Norwegian Krone as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Dubrovnik from 0800 to1700 on September 21st....with possible tender.

We would like to walk the walls as early as we can, wander around the old town and then travel to Cavtat for lunch using boat or bus, or a combination.

Is this a realistic plan considering our early departure? Are the buses and boats between Dubrovnik and Cavtat reliable?

Any suggestions or alternative ideas welcome.

The only thing I don't want to miss is walking the walls which I last did as a teenager over 50years ago!!

We will be in Dubrovnik from 0800 to1700 on September 21st....with possible tender.

We would like to walk the walls as early as we can, wander around the old town and then travel to Cavtat for lunch using boat or bus, or a combination.

Is this a realistic plan considering our early departure? Are the buses and boats between Dubrovnik and Cavtat reliable?

Any suggestions or alternative ideas welcome.

The only thing I don't want to miss is walking the walls which I last did as a teenager over 50years ago!!

Our port authority shows your ship docked in our Gruz Harbor. You can take a taxi from the there to the old town, probably arriving about 9ish. Walking the entire wall could take about 2 hours, doing only the sea side probably 1 hour. The boats leave our old port almost every hour, trip takes about 45 minutes. You MUST make sure that you are on the non stop boat, the others can be milk runs. And yes they are reliable.

Libertas bus #10 runs every hour also and I would plan my return trip with the bus. The main bus terminal is adjacent to the Gruz harbor and your ship, also easier to find the bus stop in Cavtat. They are also reliable and fare is 25 Kuna per person, one way. No foreign currency for either boat or bus. You must decide if you want to visit Cavtat and how exactly what time you are expected to return to your ship. You may want to return to Dubrovnik by taxi if your time is limited. The bus does stop often and frequently and the trip can take 45 minutes. You must decide if you can do all in the very limited time you are here. Good luck!

I've been reading through Cruise Critic port reviews for Dubrovnik and there are one or two references to the necessity of carrying passports while in port.

Is this necessary or will copies do?

Everyone has their own opinion on this point. Personally I have never been without mine when traveling in a foreign country, my choice. I do know there are certain at the port exits who will accept copies, others will not. Do you want to take the chance of returning back to the ship/cabin? You must decide what works for you.

Everyone has their own opinion on this point. Personally I have never been without mine when traveling in a foreign country, my choice. I do know there are certain at the port exits who will accept copies, others will not. Do you want to take the chance of returning back to the ship/cabin? You must decide what works for you.

Agree with Dubrovniktravelady in that it's a personal choice. Some people carry it; some prefer to leave it in the safe on the ship in case it's lost or stolen. I leave mine in the safe, although I do carry a copy. I used to worry that I'd be unable to get back to the ship in time and be stranded in that port (or wherever the consulate in that port's country is) for 3 days while I got a new one. However, then I read that normal procedure for cruise lines is that if looks like someone has to be left, two people will go to your safe, open it, and if passports are found, they will be given to the port agent for safekeeping. I'm assuming that's true, but I have never had to test it out, so can't say for sure. I just know that if you need a new passport, it can take several days to get it (or more, especially if you lose it on a Friday night!) Most or perhaps all cruise lines post the name and contact info for their port agent in each port. I always carry that info with me so I can contact someone if you're afraid of being left in port.

I haven't read that an actual passport is required when you go ashore in Dubrovnik. In some places, the cruise line has notified us that we need to carry identification other than our plastic ship card, but I think normally a driver's license is acceptable. I don't remember ever being required to show an ID (except perhaps in an embarkation port), but of course, there's a first time for everything! I'd rather lose my driver's license than my passport, so I'm planning to carry the license and leave the passport in the safe.

Your decision, though!

Thank you...some things for us to consider.

If we get a public bus from the port to Pile and plan to walk the walls, would it be better to avoid the queues by walking along Stradum to the Ploce wall entrance and starting our walk?

We then thought we could exit at Ploce at the end of our circuit and wander back to Pile via the market and lunch before getting the bus back to the port.

We had originally planned to go to Cavtat, which I remember from 50 years ago as a pretty place, after walking the walls but have decided that it might be too rushed to be enjoyable. Maybe next time.

I've been reading through Cruise Critic port reviews for Dubrovnik and there are one or two references to the necessity of carrying passports while in port.

Is this necessary or will copies do?

I was on the Star Clipper ship. They took our passports upon embarkation and they weren't returned until disembarkation. We had three port stops in Croatia, including Dubrovnik so the short answer is that no, a passport is not necessary.

If we get a public bus from the port to Pile and plan to walk the walls, would it be better to avoid the queues by walking along Stradum to the Ploce wall entrance and starting our walk?

We then thought we could exit at Ploce at the end of our circuit and wander back to Pile via the market and lunch before getting the bus back to the port.

We had originally planned to go to Cavtat, which I remember from 50 years ago as a pretty place, after walking the walls but have decided that it might be too rushed to be enjoyable. Maybe next time.

Just a thought: There may be a free or paid shuttle that runs from Gruz port to the Pile Gate. Some cruisers have reported having them.

You can decide which entrance to use once you arrive and see if there are any queues. I always enjoy entering at the main entrance, just across from the Onofrio fountain. Then I can stroll the sea side first and do not need to bother with the majority of steps. By entering at Ploce you are then going to be moving upward until you reach Minceta Tower, the highest point. My personal preference is to walk the sea side only which gives me more time inside the old part of town. I do not believe you have enough time to do Dubrovnik and also enjoy the wonders of Cavtat. Perhaps next trip.

I was on the Star Clipper ship. They took our passports upon embarkation and they weren't returned until disembarkation. We had three port stops in Croatia, including Dubrovnik so the short answer is that no, a passport is not necessary.

That is not necessarily true. It depends on who is working passport control. There are some who will ask for the actual passport. They will send passengers back to retrieve them from the ship. It is hit or miss here.

Just a thought: There may be a free or paid shuttle that runs from Gruz port to the Pile Gate. Some cruisers have reported having them.

Using a ship shuttle service is easier than trying to figure out which bus goes to Pile gate entrance. Contact your ship to see if they offer shuttle service here in Dubrovnik. Local bus means Croatian Kuna, buy a ticket for 2 kuna less than paying the driver at a kisok. Finding the bus stop and figuring out which bus takes you to Pile, some do not! A waste of time!

That is not necessarily true. It depends on who is working passport control. There are some who will ask for the actual passport. They will send passengers back to retrieve them from the ship. It is hit or miss here.

We were tendered. Perhaps the ship checked with the authorities beforehand, but we just walked in, there was no sort of control whatsoever.

Just a couple of questions....

The main entrance to the walls is obviously going to be busier, so the Ploce entrance is another option. So, how long does it take to walk around the outside of the walls to the Ploce entrance ? Depending on the queue at the main entrance, it may be just as easy to wait ?

We plan on entering via the main entrance and walking around the seaward side to the Ploce gate, then exiting and heading for the cable car. So...

1. Would we miss much by skipping the sector between the Ploce & main entrance on the land side ?

2. Is it expected to walk around in a certain direction, or can you go either way without having to walk through hoards of people coming the other way ?

Cheers

Just a couple of questions....

The main entrance to the walls is obviously going to be busier, so the Ploce entrance is another option. So, how long does it take to walk around the outside of the walls to the Ploce entrance ? Depending on the queue at the main entrance, it may be just as easy to wait ?

We plan on entering via the main entrance and walking around the seaward side to the Ploce gate, then exiting and heading for the cable car. So...

1. Would we miss much by skipping the sector between the Ploce & main entrance on the land side ?

2. Is it expected to walk around in a certain direction, or can you go either way without having to walk through hoards of people coming the other way ?

Cheers

Your ship will be here at the end of September, doubt highly you will encounter massive crowds at the main entrance. As the walk is only permitted counter clockwise, so you will walk the sea side first. After passing the old harbor you can go down at the Ploce exit and make your way up to the cable car. The land side, for me, is not so interesting and you see the same roofs from a different perspective. It is also the more difficult part with the vast majority of the walk going upward to the highest point, Minceta Tower. You will not miss anything. I certainly do not expect hoards of people to be up on the wall so late in the season...

Your ship will be here at the end of September, doubt highly you will encounter massive crowds at the main entrance. As the walk is only permitted counter clockwise, so you will walk the sea side first. After passing the old harbor you can go down at the Ploce exit and make your way up to the cable car. The land side, for me, is not so interesting and you see the same roofs from a different perspective. It is also the more difficult part with the vast majority of the walk going upward to the highest point, Minceta Tower. You will not miss anything. I certainly do not expect hoards of people to be up on the wall so late in the season...

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

I have read the last 15 pages or so of this thread. I so appreciate all the helpful information you have provided. My husband and I are traveling to Montenegro the last week of Oct. to visit my brother who just moved there in Aug. I know it is probably not the best time to visit, but it is the only time my husband is able to get off from work. We will fly into Dubrovnik and thought we would like to spend a few days there. I know you cannot make recommendations, but can you suggest a specific area that we should look for a hotel? There is the possibility of my brother and his wife joining us in Dubrovnik since they are anxious to also see the sites. If they join us, we will have the use of their car.

Are there other sites outside of the city that you would recommend -- day trips away from the city?

Thank you so much for your help.

I have read the last 15 pages or so of this thread. I so appreciate all the helpful information you have provided. My husband and I are traveling to Montenegro the last week of Oct. to visit my brother who just moved there in Aug. I know it is probably not the best time to visit, but it is the only time my husband is able to get off from work. We will fly into Dubrovnik and thought we would like to spend a few days there. I know you cannot make recommendations, but can you suggest a specific area that we should look for a hotel? There is the possibility of my brother and his wife joining us in Dubrovnik since they are anxious to also see the sites. If they join us, we will have the use of their car.

Are there other sites outside of the city that you would recommend -- day trips away from the city?

Thank you so much for your help.

Having a car in Dubrovnik can often be a problem since parking is mission impossible. I would first look for a hotel, with parking garage, near the Pile (pee-la) gate entrance. At that time of year it is not important that you have a sea front location. Also keep in mind that the old part of town is car free, you will not be using the car at all while visiting inside the walled portion of Dubrovnik.

Do your best to arrive here prior to 01 November as the town will be closing down for winter hibernation. Again timing is everything and if you can visit Ston and Cavtat. We do go off daylight savings time on 25 October and the hours for our cultural and historical sites will be limited, closing is near to 1500 daily.

Weather will be fall, be prepared for some rain and wind and we hope no winter temps yet. Enjoy your time here.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady