Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Recommending places to eat is so subjective. I've enjoyed the many tips provided by Dubrovniktravelady about travel to Dubrovnik and for whatever reason if she feels it not appropriate to recommend specific places to eat then that's fine, surely?

Recommending places to eat is so subjective. I've enjoyed the many tips provided by Dubrovniktravelady about travel to Dubrovnik and for whatever reason if she feels it not appropriate to recommend specific places to eat then that's fine, surely?

Personally I would love to give specific recommendations for restaurants which are good. However I have been warned by cruise critic admin that I am not permitted to do so.

Travel lady spends lots of time helping others visit her city and we should not criticize when she feels the rules limit her on restaurants.

Why not try trip advisor or any of the many food and hotel specific websites? We use trip advisor both as part of our planning and also to make spur of the moment decisions based on the Trip Advisor rating signs that are posted in restaurant windows.

Travel lady spends lots of time helping others visit her city and we should not criticize when she feels the rules limit her on restaurants.

Oh, come now! I happen to have had the good fortune to have met Dubrovniktravelady and know her to be a very kind and helpful person. The last thing I would do is criticize her. There is no question that she dispenses very helpful information both on CC and through her blog. All that I was doing was suggesting that perhaps she would care to check back with CC.....IMO this is hardly criticism.

Oh, come now! I happen to have had the good fortune to have met Dubrovniktravelady and know her to be a very kind and helpful person. The last thing I would do is criticize her. There is no question that she dispenses very helpful information both on CC and through her blog. All that I was doing was suggesting that perhaps she would care to check back with CC.....IMO this is hardly criticism.

Frank, thank you for the kind comments. Perhaps I am wording my responses so that people understand that I would love to give out my personal recommendations. By doing so the cc admin has told me that I would be banned from cc forever. It is my desire to help those who want to experience our historical and cultural sites. Food, well you are on your own.

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady!

We will be arriving on Sunday, June 29. Will the wall walk be open on Sunday? It seems that the walk is the thing to do in Dubrovnik?

The wall will be open, it only closes two days of the year - Christmas Day and our celebration for the Saint Blaise. Beside the wall, you may want to visit some of our historical and cultural sites such as Rectors Palace, Sponza, Rupe Museum, our green market, Fort Lovrijenac and ride the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd. There is so much more than just walking the wall, which does take about 2 hours and has a total of 1,080 steps. Enjoy!

Thank you! I assume all of these things are do-able on our own? We are very DIY travelers and would prefer to just explore as we please. It looks like we will be in port from 2:00 PM from 7:00 PM.

Ample time for the wall walk and a loop through the historical sites you mentioned?

How long does the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd take?

I know you mentioned you cannot recommend any particular restaurants, but what would you recommend as far as traditional Croatian food?

Thank you! I assume all of these things are do-able on our own? We are very DIY travelers and would prefer to just explore as we please. It looks like we will be in port from 2:00 PM from 7:00 PM.

Ample time for the wall walk and a loop through the historical sites you mentioned?

How long does the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd take?

I know you mentioned you cannot recommend any particular restaurants, but what would you recommend as far as traditional Croatian food?

The cable car takes 4 minutes to reach the top of the mountain, do visit the old museum built during Napoleon times which is now a museum to the 1991 homeland war. With such a short time in town, just walk the sea side of the wall which will take about 1 hour, entrance is closest to Pile gate just across from the Onofrio fountain. Go down at the old harbor exit, which is called Ploce and then turn left and walk a few steps down to the entrance of the old part of town. Immediately on your right is Sponza and down a bit on the left is Rectors Palace.

Sorry I am not permitted, by cruise critic, to give you any type of personal recommendations for restaurants. Perhaps more research may give you a better insight, I have several favorites.

Sorry, I meant the actual food itself, not restaurants. What dishes should we try? What does Croatian food encompass?

Husband doesn't like seafood, unfortunately, but I do!

You are in luck, many of our konabas will offer seafood as well as other dishes. If you choose to have a grilled fish, be prepared to have the entire fish on you plate, including head. Be specific and ask how much does it weigh and how much per kilo is the price. Fish at restaurants is sold by the kilo, before cooked.

If your husband is a meat lover, he is in luck. One of my favorite foods is what we call civapcici (small caseless sausage grilled) and nothing like anything I have ever eaten elsewhere. Dirty macaroni is fun, pasta with no tomato sauce rather a meat and gravy. Do you remember how a fresh tomato tasted, one you picked from your grandmothers garden? We have some of the best and not GMO. Also mixed grill, a combo plate of veal, chicken and pork thinly sliced and grilled. Most meat dishes are served with potatoes, french fries or just plain boiled.

The big favorite is lamb cooked under the bell, however most restaurants require 24 hours notice and a minimum of 4 guests. Not all have it, some claim but it is oven cooked so beware unless you want to invite me to join you. Would that I could, it is a treat and I love the taste of the fresh lamb over being baked for many, many hours as the meat just falls off the bones.

Meals are are cooked to order, so often lunch can take up to 2 or more hours. Croatians live to eat, we do not eat to live. Enjoy!

Dubrovniktravelady-

Please see my post #1697. Any help or advice about these two shops would be most welcome.

Thanks,

<<<Karen>>>

I have seen one of the icon shops but never have ventured inside. You mentioned that you have a collection of Russian icons, I have always assumed all the icons available here are Serbian. Are you expecting to buy Russian items here? Sorry I am not able to give you any specific answers.

Dubrovniktravelady-

Old Serbian ones work :). I am more interested in Russian Orthodox icons then Greek Orthodox ones although I do have some Greek ones. The Greek ones are new (modern) and not hand painted. My Russian ones are old (late 1800's early 1900's) and hand painted. I guess I will just have to wait until we get to Dubrovnik in September and cross my fingers that I find something "special".

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

<<<Karen>>>

Sorry, I meant the actual food itself, not restaurants. What dishes should we try? What does Croatian food encompass?

Husband doesn't like seafood, unfortunately, but I do!

Prior to our cruise last year, Dubrovnik Travel Lady recommended that I try Krempita for dessert and I am soooo glad she did. OMG, it was great! I had it again in Split and something similar in Lljubiana when we ported in Koper. The closest thing I can use to describe it is a neopolian with only the top and bottom layers of pastry (pita?) with the middle filled with a delicious creme (krem?) custard. We also had a chocolate pielike dish with large tube macaroni....interesting but not nearly as wonderful as kremepita!

Edited by Clay Clayton

Hi

We will be docking in Old Town Port, Gradska Luka in September, just wondering how far it is either to walk or taxi into the Old Town to walk the wall ?

Also is there plenty of taxis at this port and easy to find, to take us into the old Town to walk the wall, and then back to port when finished ?

Just wondering about taxis in case its quite busy this day with other cruisers and visitors.

Thanks for any advice

Hi

We will be docking in Old Town Port, Gradska Luka in September, just wondering how far it is either to walk or taxi into the Old Town to walk the wall ?

Also is there plenty of taxis at this port and easy to find, to take us into the old Town to walk the wall, and then back to port when finished ?

Just wondering about taxis in case its quite busy this day with other cruisers and visitors.

Thanks for any advice

Your ship will be docked in our Gruz harbor, which is the newer port. It is a long and very uninteresting walk to the old town, all uphill and will take too much of your limited time. You need to check with your cruise line if they are offering a shuttle and their cost. Taxis will be waiting at the harbor to transport passengers to town, cost is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will accept Euros. That being said, most of the historical sites and majority of restaurants may not accept Euros. It is best to visit one of our many ATM machines for Croatian Kuna. If you are only planning to walk the wall, you can use a credit or debit card for the entrance fee of 100 Kuna per person. You can check your exact arrival date for the total amount of cruise ships and passengers. As a matter of information, there is far more many sites to visit than just the wall.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

Your ship will be docked in our Gruz harbor, which is the newer port. It is a long and very uninteresting walk to the old town, all uphill and will take too much of your limited time. You need to check with your cruise line if they are offering a shuttle and their cost. Taxis will be waiting at the harbor to transport passengers to town, cost is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will accept Euros. That being said, most of the historical sites and majority of restaurants may not accept Euros. It is best to visit one of our many ATM machines for Croatian Kuna. If you are only planning to walk the wall, you can use a credit or debit card for the entrance fee of 100 Kuna per person. You can check your exact arrival date for the total amount of cruise ships and passengers. As a matter of information, there is far more many sites to visit than just the wall.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

There is another cruise ship in port, and been a Saturday, I imagine it will be busy.

Will it be easy enough to get a taxis from this port if we need one, especially if it's busy ?

We would like to see as much as possible while there and explore the town, wall, see a buzza bar and some local food, would this be doable as a starting point from the wall ?

Thanks again

There is another cruise ship in port, and been a Saturday, I imagine it will be busy.

Will it be easy enough to get a taxis from this port if we need one, especially if it's busy ?

We would like to see as much as possible while there and explore the town, wall, see a buzza bar and some local food, would this be doable as a starting point from the wall ?

Thanks again

There will be plenty of taxis, it is a very short ride to town. They drop passengers and go back to the port for more. Your ship arrives at 7am, get off as early as possible and get into town and walk the wall first. You will have enough time to visit some of our historical sites and perhaps find Buza, my least favorite place, for an overpriced drink - no food just booze. Perhaps the map of town may help you visualize how small the old town is and where the harbor is located.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Will be in Dubrovnik on a Sunday in Nov 2015 on the Island Princess and am wondering what will be open. By the schedule right now we will be there from noon till 8pm. in Nov what time is sunset at that time of year. Will be doing a ships tour and not sure if this affects what is open or closed. Thanks for any help.:)

Will be in Dubrovnik on a Sunday in Nov 2015 on the Island Princess and am wondering what will be open. By the schedule right now we will be there from noon till 8pm. in Nov what time is sunset at that time of year. Will be doing a ships tour and not sure if this affects what is open or closed. Thanks for any help.:)

All our historical sites begin winter hours about 01 November, this means they will be open from 9am until 4pm daily, including Sundays. Your time will be very limited as sunset will be about 4:30pm so an arrival at noon will give you only a few hours in the old part of town. Many of our outdoor restaurants will be closed for the winter season, it is not the best of times to be visiting our area. If you could change your date to October, you may find it a much better choice than November. Traditionally November can be our wettest month also. Good luck!

Hello,

I heard the Icon museum is closed for renovations. Do you know if this so?

Will it be open by August which is when we cruise.

To Karen who posted the questions about icon shops, thank you for that information. I will certainly check them out as I am also interested.

TerryD

Ah.....a fellow icon collector. Didn't know that the museum might be closed. Thanks for the post. Both the shops I listed have websites: http://www.moje-tezoro.hr/home.php but I can't find the other at the moment, google it.

Hopefully, the museum will be open and we will find a great icon to purchase. When is your cruise?

<<<Karen>>>

Hello,

I heard the Icon museum is closed for renovations. Do you know if this so?

Will it be open by August which is when we cruise.

To Karen who posted the questions about icon shops, thank you for that information. I will certainly check them out as I am also interested.

TerryD

If there is any type of renovations going on at the Serbian Icon Museum, it would not take very long as the space is very small and compact. It is the only museum, if you want to call it that, as I consider it just to be a very small shop. The others are just privately owned shops which sell icons. You need to know and understand what you are buying, if it is a real antique or a copy. Perhaps this site will give you more information.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/vodic_novost.php?id=1592&id_main=1585#.U5CBufmSxyk