Finally got my book "Cruise Confidential"

tammi0916

Tammi0916---I would love to have a copy of this book. I've check my library and local book store but they do not have it. Its seems silly (to me, since I only read a book once to go out buy it) I have to check and see if hubby will want me to post my e-mail on here. He does not like for it to get out then we get junk mail. So, if I can, I would love to have your copy and I will pay the postage and pass it on to some one else if that would be ok with you. I'll check with him as soon as he gets home, hold that copy for me!!! Thanks, kmbb

I walked into my local Borders and bought a copy off the shelf. I finished it in three-days, could not put it down. It's terrible the working conditions these poor people have to endure, and all to serve "Americans" whom most of them despise!

I wonder if the names were changed in the book, or if any of these people know that Brian put them in his book! Would be interesting to run into one of these people from the book and find out how true some of the stories are.

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but there is a little known thing called "inter-library loan" that I think all public libraries participate in, but don't advertise. You have to go to the desk and ask for help. Tell them you want to get a copy of the book from whatever libarary wherever has it and they will arrange it. They borrow the book and then notify you when it comes in.

I live in Phoenix and I recently "borrowed" a book from the Wichita Kansas public library and another from a Tucson library.

Right now I have in a request for Cruise Confidential and there are several copies around the country--not sure where it is coming from but another book that I want is on its way from Chicago.

After seeing the link to Brian's web page here, I emailed him to compliment and thank him for writing this enlightening book. To my surprise, he replied within hours! He's a very nice guy, and he said he is working on the sequel. I won't say what the sequel is about, because that would spoil Cruise Confidential for those who have yet to read it. ;) He also said that Cruise Confidential is up for two awards this month, so he is hoping it wins! I told him he should stop by Cruise Critic, so for all you know, he might be reading this thread right now! :cool:

I am going to pass my book around to the members of our current roll call. :)

Tammi0916---I would love to have a copy of this book. I've check my library and local book store but they do not have it. Its seems silly (to me, since I only read a book once to go out buy it) I have to check and see if hubby will want me to post my e-mail on here. He does not like for it to get out then we get junk mail. So, if I can, I would love to have your copy and I will pay the postage and pass it on to some one else if that would be ok with you. I'll check with him as soon as he gets home, hold that copy for me!!! Thanks, kmbb

KMBB - you were the first to request and would be happy to send it - just let me know! My email is tnealon@travelers.com if you are not comfortable posting email (I can relate - but mine is out there as I was sending out capers!) I'm not worried about postage - just wanted someone else to enjoy!

Tammi

After seeing the link to Brian's web page here, I emailed him to compliment and thank him for writing this enlightening book. To my surprise, he replied within hours! He's a very nice guy, and he said he is working on the sequel. I won't say what the sequel is about, because that would spoil Cruise Confidential for those who have yet to read it. ;) He also said that Cruise Confidential is up for two awards this month, so he is hoping it wins! I told him he should stop by Cruise Critic, so for all you know, he might be reading this thread right now! :cool:

Does anyone know if Brian married Bianca? His website says something live he lives with his wife in.....I wonder if that worked out????

I wonder if the names were changed in the book, or if any of these people know that Brian put them in his book! Would be interesting to run into one of these people from the book and find out how true some of the stories are.

Well, their names and pics are on his website. I wonder if any of the crew members are still working with Carnival and has anyone met them that post on this board?

The book may be about Carnival, but it is fiction. Serious? Just someone's thoughts on how they think things look from a crew members eyes......I thought he was a crew memeber? I want my $10 bucks back!

You need to read the book! lol

My book got here today! Just in time as I am on vacation next week (not a cruise, going to the beach), it'll be perfect light reading!

PS Amazon was backordered, but I got a new copy for $13 including shipping from one of the affliliated sellers, and it came in about a week.

I just ordered it on Amazon today and my estimated delivery date is May 20th - June 5th. All of the reviews of the seller stated "fast delivery", so fingers crossed that it comes sooner than later!

I got it today! Can't wait to start reading it!

The book may be about Carnival, but it is fiction. Just someone's thoughts on how they think things look from a crew members eyes......

The author is for real!!

He is Brian David Bruns. I've been in touch with him a few times. He is also one of my Facebook friends!:)

I sent him this link just a few days ago. He gets a kick out of seeing what the talk is!

Yeah, he won't tell me anything about Bianca either. I know he is married and living in Nevada, but he never divulges the name of his wife!

Downloaded this book on my kindle wednesday and read 1/2 of it sitting in the airport...He is a great writer...intriguing and energetic.

If you are an avid reader, a Kindle is a must! Took a mere seconds to get this book loaded. I think a previous posted mentioned the same think using her Kindle 2.

i emailed him tonight to tell him i enjoyed his book and within hours he emailed me back too. in fact this is a quote "You may be happy to hear that this weekend at the American Book Expo in NYC my book won the Ben Frankin Book of the Year Award for Humor." so he did win the award this weekend.

I sent him this link just a few days ago. He gets a kick out of seeing what the talk is!

Yeah, he won't tell me anything about Bianca either. I know he is married and living in Nevada, but he never divulges the name of his wife!

So he's definitely coming here to see what everyone is saying? That's great! Hi Brian! :D CONGRATULATIONS on winning the Ben Franklin award!! :cool:

My copy of Cruise Confidential is currently being passed around among members of my upcoming Conquest roll call. :)

Great read! A bit embellished in spots I suspect but still lots of fun! I was amazed at how similar the politics were to working in a land hotel/restaurant. :p

I also really liked What Time is the Midnight Buffet? I laughed all the way through that one twice!

Another good one you guys might want to check out if you are at all interested in the history of the industry is Devils on the Deep Blue Sea. It covers the industry from it's start, through mergers, labor disputes, hostile takeovers, etc. and while it sounds dull it reads almost like a good soap in places. Very interesting and well written!

Selling the Sea has some fascinating information in it but keep in mind it is a textbook and also gets VERY dry in spots. Only for the true die-hard.

I downloaded it on my iPhone Kindle this morning. First (and last time) using Kindle, $9.99 for an electronic copy of a book that is now useless to me (I read the book in about 6 hours).

The book is very well written and while I did enjoy it, I cannot see where it has "revealed" anything that I didn't either already know or speculate about. And, I don't really see these events transpiring current day since Carnival has cleaned up the "Booze Cruise" image.

Oh well.

Thanks! In fact, at the Book Expo America this weekend, Cruise Confidential snagged two prizes: the Ben Franklin Humor Book of the Year, as well as taking the Gold at ForeWord Magazine's Humor Book of the Year. Coolness! Oh, and for those who justifiably wonder if it's all fiction, the answer is no. Names are changed, but that's it. I have a lot of friends from the ships who recognize themselves and contact me... it's been a great time.

Archived