RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

This is my second time using Rome in Limo. I used them three years ago when my wife and I visited Rome. The owner Jany is truly a gem and very easy to deal with. He even arranged for us to have the same driver Nicola. I can't say enough good things about this guy. He speaks great English and is very knowledgeable about his city. On top of all that he is an incredible driver. My family arrived in Rome late in the evening. We stayed at the Airport Hilton. Nicola picked us up right on time the next morning. His Mercedes minivan was spotless! We wanted to construct our own tour and Nicola was very obliging. We gave him a list of sites we wanted to see and he devised the route. He took us to a wonderful place for lunch and even helped us order. At the end of the day Nicola took us to our new hotel near the Spanish Steps.I cannot recommend this company highly enough. They are professional, easy to deal with, and very honest!

We have Rome in Limo booked for Rome, Livorno and Naples this year. They have offered the option to pre pay via wire transfer and receive a 5% discount. Has anyone done this option? The bank fee is quoted at $40 so not sure it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have Rome in Limo booked for Rome, Livorno and Naples this year. They have offered the option to pre pay via wire transfer and receive a 5% discount. Has anyone done this option? The bank fee is quoted at $40 so not sure it's worth it.

Yes, we are doing it, except paying by credit card. If you think about the other choices, paying by cash (with exchange fees) or by travelers checks, there are usually fees involved there as well. So if you are reducing the total cost of the services (and associated exchange fees) you are reducing your overall costs.

Our party of 15 used RomeInLimo 3 years ago...we all agree that they are perfect! they were punctual picking us all up in the morning at our cruise ship.

We had a perfect Rome experience, there is nothing that our guide and driver missed. They did everything that we wanted them to do for us. We never waited too long for anything.....it is worth it.

We are thrilled to use them again when we go back this June 2014!

Jany didn't mention credit card as an option for prepayment. I will check with her on that. I agree the option is nice but it was costly and frankly the bank wasn't very reassuring.

They didn't allow CC prepayment back when we did it, and I suspect there would be no discount because of processing fees. The CC was only for people who signed up but didn't show, releasing the group organizer (if a split group) from the responsibility.

Jany didn't mention credit card as an option for prepayment. I will check with her on that. I agree the option is nice but it was costly and frankly the bank wasn't very reassuring.

Could someone clarify whether the prices listed on the RomeinLimo web site are per person or per car? For example, if one books the tour in the sedan that holds up to 4 people, is the price per car or does each person pay the quoted price? Thanks so much.

The price is for the vehicle.

We just returned from a Med cruise on the NCL Jade. This was our second Med cruise on the Jade and the second time we used RomeInLimo for our Rome tours and port transportation. We love RomeInLimo and Jany is so easy to work with.

Vatican Tour: Before the cruise, we contacted Jany for a guided Vatican Tour for our party of three adults and one ten year old. Our Vatican guide, Francesca was terrific. She really taught us a lot and was amazing with the child in our group. We highly recommend her. Price was Euro 190 plus the cost of the Vatican tickets (which we purchased on the Internet from home before we left). We met at 9am across from the Vatican Museum and walked right in a back entrance past the very long line of people waiting to get in. Well worth it!

Transportation from Port to FCO: We walked off the NCL Jade on January 18 at 7 am and our RomeInLimo driver was waiting for us with a Mercedes van. We had a fast, easy trip to the airport and arrived with plenty of time before our 10:45 flight back to the US. We paid Euro 165 for the transfer which is right in line with what other companies charge.

Transportation from our B&B in Rome to the Port: We booked a Rome tour and port transfer with Jany to start our trip right. Our driver, Franco, was terrific. Very gracious and accommodating and so knowledgeable. we had a wonderful tour and used our time very well. We paid ahead of time by wire transfer and received the 5% discount. This was a convenient and well priced option for our final day in Rome.

We just returned from a Med cruise on the NCL Jade. This was our second Med cruise on the Jade and the second time we used RomeInLimo for our Rome tours and port transportation. We love RomeInLimo and Jany is so easy to work with.

Vatican Tour: Before the cruise, we contacted Jany for a guided Vatican Tour for our party of three adults and one ten year old. Our Vatican guide, Francesca was terrific. She really taught us a lot and was amazing with the child in our group. We highly recommend her. Price was Euro 190 plus the cost of the Vatican tickets (which we purchased on the Internet from home before we left). We met at 9am across from the Vatican Museum and walked right in a back entrance past the very long line of people waiting to get in. Well worth it!

Transportation from Port to FCO: We walked off the NCL Jade on January 18 at 7 am and our RomeInLimo driver was waiting for us with a Mercedes van. We had a fast, easy trip to the airport and arrived with plenty of time before our 10:45 flight back to the US. We paid Euro 165 for the transfer which is right in line with what other companies charge.

Transportation from our B&B in Rome to the Port: We booked a Rome tour and port transfer with Jany to start our trip right. Our driver, Franco, was terrific. Very gracious and accommodating and so knowledgeable. we had a wonderful tour and used our time very well. We paid ahead of time by wire transfer and received the 5% discount. This was a convenient and well priced option for our final day in Rome.

Be very, very careful in whom you send wire transfers to.

We chose not to book a guide for our RIL "Florence and Pisa" for our upcoming July cruise.

Can I assume the driver stays with the vehicle and you are told where and when to meet for the return trip to Livorno?

Where do the vans usually park in Florence?

Are we given a map of the location of the main attractions and a place to have lunch?

If that is the case, why not just use the ships shuttle to Florence and save money. The only 2 advantages I see are small group (in the van at least) and we get to stop at Pisa. Am I missing something?

BTW, we have booked a share tour in Rome with a guide. I thought would be critical for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel

Thanks for your comments.

We chose not to book a guide for our RIL "Florence and Pisa" for our upcoming July cruise.

Can I assume the driver stays with the vehicle and you are told where and when to meet for the return trip to Livorno? Yes, as that is the law in Italy. However, they don't just transport you. They give tons of advice, move you in the most efficient way, staying ahead of crowds where possible. They will build a schedule for you to maximize your time.

Where do the vans usually park in Florence? No idea. Ask Jany at R-I-L.

Are we given a map of the location of the main attractions and a place to have lunch? The have provided maps on our previous trips with R-I-L. How they determine where you eat will depend on your food interests, budget and time.

If that is the case, why not just use the ships shuttle to Florence and save money. The only 2 advantages I see are small group (in the van at least) and we get to stop at Pisa. Am I missing something? You are missing tons of info, tremendous customer service. Plus, it seems you are thinking R-I-L is just going to transport, set you free and then pick you up at the end of the day. That is far from the truth.

BTW, we have booked a share tour in Rome with a guide. I thought would be critical for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel Good idea.

See above in red.

One key is they do not just drop you in Florence. Based on your interests they will take you to several different locations in Florence.

I will say the biggest benefit for us was at the Accademia. Even though the lines for people who HAD tickets (AND you REALLY SHOULD PRE-BUY) was about 200 people long (no joke), our driver walked us past the line, waved to the guard who let us in the VIP area, helped us redeem tickets THEN said meet back at this corner in X time.

If you take the shuttle to Florence, you need to navigate Florence yourself.

As far as Rome, a day guide is not critical but can help, but in my book a Guide at the Vatican is a MUST.

Can I assume the driver stays with the vehicle and you are told where and when to meet for the return trip to Livorno?

Where do the vans usually park in Florence?

Are we given a map of the location of the main attractions and a place to have lunch?

If that is the case, why not just use the ships shuttle to Florence and save money. The only 2 advantages I see are small group (in the van at least) and we get to stop at Pisa. Am I missing something?

BTW, we have booked a share tour in Rome with a guide. I thought would be critical for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel

We just returned from a Med Cruise and used RomeInLimo three days. For the 5 hour tour and port transfer, we were given the option of paying by wire transfer and it was free and easy (and done in US dollars so no exchange fee). If I had done the wire transfer at my bank branch, there would have been a charge. Instead, I did it through my bank's internet banking site. It was easy and secure. It was not immediate though; it took three business days. Jany confirmed with me and had set everything up with the driver. I saved money on fees, got a better exchange rate, and saved the risk and hassle of traveling with wads of Euros (or hitting an ATM). I agree with General Max that we should be careful to whom we wire transfer but I got the routing number, name and account directly from Jany, used my bank's secure internet site and it worked out perfectly. I did this in two other ports as well, both with well-reviewed tour operators, and had no issues.

Edited by KatKay
misspelling

We just returned from a Med Cruise and used RomeInLimo three days. For the 5 hour tour and port transfer, we were given the option of paying by wire transfer and it was free and easy (and done in US dollars so no exchange fee). If I had done the wire transfer at my bank branch, there would have been a charge. Instead, I did it through my bank's internet banking site. It was easy and secure. It was not immediate though; it took three business days. Jany confirmed with me and had set everything up with the driver. I saved money on fees, got a better exchange rate, and saved the risk and hassle of traveling with wads of Euros (or hitting an ATM). I agree with General Max that we should be careful to whom we wire transfer but I got the routing number, name and account directly from Jany, used my bank's secure internet site and it worked out perfectly. I did this in two other ports as well, both with well-reviewed tour operators, and had no issues.

I would certainly like to hear from someone that had issues in dealing with foreign wire transfers. Asia is known for these type of issues.

I am getting ready to book some tours with RIL and found this thread. On the booking menu there is a place to put the credit card information so are you paying that way or must you pay in cash? I am a little confused. I don't see anywhere that shows you can wire money. Thank you Virginia

I am getting ready to book some tours with RIL and found this thread. On the booking menu there is a place to put the credit card information so are you paying that way or must you pay in cash? I am a little confused. I don't see anywhere that shows you can wire money. Thank you Virginia

R-i-L's policy has been to have a credit card as a "hold", against the possibility you don't show up. Generally you have to pay in cash or euro Travelers Cheques.

R-i-L does offer a credit card payment plan, (in addition to the electronic payment method) but I think it is either to returning pax, or to early bookings. You need to confirm this with Jany.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The CC is for no-shows only. Normal is Cash on delivery but you can also pre-arrange by making contact with Jany for things like wire transfers.

For those that have used Rome In Limo, I have a quick question. I have booked 4 tours with them for a cruise we are gong on in April. There are 4 of us and I am pretty sure when I booked it said we would have a minivan. When I got my confirmation it said we would have a sedan. I went back and looked at the website to check. I didn't look at all 4 tours but looked at a couple and they did say minivan. I questioned them about it and they said that we could have a minivan but it would be 50 euro more per port (doing away with the discount). I asked them why the website said minivan and they sent me a link and showed me that it said sedan. They have changed the website! I am seriously considering cancelling. What type of vehicle did others get?

We had 3 tours with them with 4 people and had a sedan all three tours last Oct. When I booked the website did say sedan for 4 people or less. I was concerned it would not be comfortable but it was. I sat in the back in the middle and was very comfortable and could see everything. The mercedes sedans are very comfy if that is what you are concerned about.

We had 3 tours with them with 4 people and had a sedan all three tours last Oct. When I booked the website did say sedan for 4 people or less. I was concerned it would not be comfortable but it was. I sat in the back in the middle and was very comfortable and could see everything. The mercedes sedans are very comfy if that is what you are concerned about.

Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe I looked at the website wrong but didn't think so. We have been in sedans before and it has been uncomfortable for us. I will see what the others think before I cancel.