Which Camera to bring

Caligirl33

I am trying to decide if I should take my digital point and shoot or my digital SLR or both. What does everyone else do? Thanks!

Where are you going and what type of pictures do you want? I would imagine the point and shoot is pretty good for the lanscapes or general pictures but not as good up close or for detail.

When I was in Hondouras and Grand Cayman, I was glad I had my better digital camera to get the details on the flowers, monkeys birds and the details of the scenery in Hell.

We are going to St. Thomas, Nassau and St. Martin in August and I am probably just going with point and shoot for that one.

I am trying to decide if I should take my digital point and shoot or my digital SLR or both. What does everyone else do? Thanks!

Both, as you well know, they have different purposes and there are lots of different things you can do with each.

Please, definitely take both. We have a point and shoot, a digital SLR and a digital video camera that also takes stills. We took all three. You can always lock the one you're not using in your room's safe.

There really is no substitute for an SLR if you're serious about photography. At the same time, if you want a photo of your group looking goofy in their lifejackets during the lifeboat drill, there's no real need for a high quality camera. Similarly, if you're taking "around the pool" deck shots, the point and shoot will be good enough.

We took our SLR with us on all three port-days of our seven day western Caribbean cruise (Conquest in March). Of course, it's always a little more to lug around, but we wouldn't have had nearly as good shots of the ruins of Tulum or the beaches in Jamaica or Cayman with a point and shoot.

Pack both. Then, each day, decide which to take with you.

Both - you will find yourself missing one or the other if you don't. We recently bought a P&S camera for things like... bringing to dinner. or to a walk around the deck. But there are times when you want to have the DSLR to be able to get just the right shot.

I tend to take the DSLR to dinner and cocktail parties on the ship, and use it for pictures of the ship and scenery from the ship (sunsets, pulling into port, etc) but end up carrying the P&S everywhere else for nighttime snapshots.

For the Southern Caribbean, however, I think I'm going to find a way to lug my Rebel on shore to get some great scenery shots. May even rent a better lens for it, we'll see. Thought about doing that for the Splendor, but decided against it. Sure glad I did that! :o

I take a Sony W300 and Canon 50d for all the cruises. We just added a Olympus Tough Waterproof camera I bought for my wife. She loves it and it will take on the stingray excursion in a couple of weeks.

I take the first day at sea and spend about an hour in the morning and more time later in the day taking ship pictures. The DSLR is superior for camera control and image quality. Consider a new moderate priced lens that offers more variability. I use a 18mm to 200mm as the normal lens for the day and then switch to a smaller lens for evening use.

In my pocket 24/7 is a Sony W300. Amazing machine with 13.6 megapixels to play with in onboard image editing. I carry it in my suit jacket during the business day too.

The other neat thing is taking a small laptop computer for editing as you go. Google has a free software editor called Picasa I have on the MacBook and Vista machines.

Our next cruise I am taking a Asus netbook pc with Windows XP for backing up images daily. I invested in a 16 gig memory card for the 50d and don't delete anything until I get back home from the trip. That gives me two copies of everything. The netbook is really cool with 160 gig of memory for movies and music. We take the tiny Bose speakers for a rainy day music fest in the cabin and for nights.

If I had to take just one camera I would look at the new super zoom offerings from Canon, Nikon, Sony and others. They have as much as 20x in zoom power, are loaded with features and some use AA batteries. While a little cumbersome to carry they can be switched while ashore without the hassle of a charger. The Sony and Canon ones look really cool.

I tried a Nikon one on a short trip to Las Vegas and the focus sensors were lousy. Not typical for Nikons, so I took it back.

So far I have spent your funds for a new camera, new netbook computer and recommended free software...

Here are a few of my images http://www.flickr.com/photos/leeusry/ and here http://community.webshots.com/user/TLU_Track and finally here http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Geeks rule :)

Archived