Hot tubs are they really clean on cruise ships?

I just heard on my favorite show the Doctors, that they said that the most hot tubs are not that clean that you can develop a rash with tiny white heads all over your body if the clorine and filtering system is not working properly. As a pediatrican we do not see this in babies or children.

I wonder how clean are these hot tubs? I do not use the pool or the hot tubs, I have had bad experiences in these over the years. I rather shower at my cabin to cool me off or drink a cold bottled water.

How much of a concern is it to you and your family anyone concerned?

The doctor on this show on NBC affiliate says this will go away in a week, but it is a bad rash and its itchy.

Loretta

You're a doctor....you pretty much stated the answer.

The hot tubs are drained and cleaned daily. BUT...I was a housekeeping manager for a big hotel company. I had to take a class to be a certified pool operator.

I will not use hot tubs anyplace. Let's say HOT water makes bacteria breed faster.........FOAM in a hot tub is NOT a good thing.

We drained and cleaned our hot tub at the hotel a couple times a week...took chemical readings hourly. And once the local board of health called and said that there were "TOO MANY BACTERIA TO COUNT":eek::rolleyes:

Many will use them...most will be fine.....

I am not even a big fan of pools but since the water is cooler, bacteria growth is not as fast.....

And it is not necessarily a bad rash! You can get a bacterial infection. I swam in a quarry once. About a week later, I was on vacation in LA and wound up in the emergency room. ..They told me I had some sort of "bug" - not a rash. Couldn't keep anything down except soup and bananas and water. Lost 20 pounds in a couple weeks.

I personally thing that hot tubs are "human stew"

I really don't think it needs anymore then that!

Well THAT is short, (not too) sweet and to the point! Interesting way to sum it up! I agree!:)

It is also VERY dangerous for young kids to be in them, along with pregnant women and anyone with a bad ticker. Sometimes I want to smack people who let little kids in there....

To quote Seinfeld, hot tubs are a "human bacteria frappe" :eek: I would not sit in an extremely small, enclosed body of water with strangers no matter how many times they cleaned the water each day.

Sometimes I want to smack people who let little kids in there....

Yep, me, too.

I have a strong immunity system and love hot tubs. Never a problem. of course, if the water is the wrong color or there is any film on the sides of it, or the forementioned Foam, not doing it.

The people on these boards must be the only ones who do not use them on ships, because we never can get in one as they are always too crowded, and almost always there is a child reeking havoc in or around them.

I rather shower at my cabin to cool me off

Loretta

Why would you use a hot tub to "cool off"?:rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of them and rarely use them. That said my wife and daughter have used them frequently for years on cruises and at hotels and never had any issues. As for cruise lines specifically, same as anywhere else - if you trust it jump in, if not, stay out:rolleyes:

The people on these boards must be the only ones who do not use them on ships, because we never can get in one as they are always too crowded, and almost always there is a child reeking havoc in or around them.

I'm totally in agreement with you. There obviously cant be that much of an issue with them since they are use incessantly, and yet no bacterial/rash outbreak on the ship. Maybe we could spread rumors of this onboard and have them all to ourselves...

I'd rather go in the ones on the ships after seeing that they alternate the draining of them nightly including the pools and power wash them out. Than go in the one in the gym or a hotel when you don't know when it was last cleaned out.

My DD went in a friends hot tub last week, 3 days later she developed the worst rash I have ever seen. Six days later, a visit to the doctor and it looks better but she still has it. If I don't smell chlorine I will not get in,

Here's the way I look at it...

Life will GROSS you out if you think about all the things we subject our bodies to. Life under a microscope would gross out the best of us. Do you sleep in a bed? Dust mites are everywhere... it'll gross you out if you think about it.

I consider the human body an amazing creation. Its ability to survive amoungst all these bacteria, viruses, etc baffles the mind.. but it's life.

My gramma told me that I'd eat a peck of dirt before I die. I've no idea what a peck is, but I assume it's more than I could eat at one sitting. But, amazingly, I seem to be no more worse for the wear for having (statistically) eaten half a peck already.

If hot tubs diseases/rashes became an epidemic, they'd remove them from the ships.

So, the choice is yours. Be creeped out by the little daily things, or live life, and just be reasonable.

Boy , I wish I could develop an SPF 500 lotion, I know I could make millions judging by the responses I see to stuff like this..

Here's the way I look at it...

Life will GROSS you out if you think about all the things we subject our bodies to. Life under a microscope would gross out the best of us. Do you sleep in a bed? Dust mites are everywhere... it'll gross you out if you think about it.

I consider the human body an amazing creation. Its ability to survive amoungst all these bacteria, viruses, etc baffles the mind.. but it's life.

My gramma told me that I'd eat a peck of dirt before I die. I've no idea what a peck is, but I assume it's more than I could eat at one sitting. But, amazingly, I seem to be no more worse for the wear for having (statistically) eaten half a peck already.

If hot tubs diseases/rashes became an epidemic, they'd remove them from the ships.

So, the choice is yours. Be creeped out by the little daily things, or live life, and just be reasonable.

Boy , I wish I could develop an SPF 500 lotion, I know I could make millions judging by the responses I see to stuff like this..

Well said. I remember in grade school biology class looking at a drop of drinking water under a microscope and seeing all sorts of microorganisms swimming around in it. If people avoided everything that was "gross" there would be almost nothing left.

hey, i am not saying don't use them....just be aware. remember....i saw it from the other side (working in a hotel).....

but FOAM is a bad thing...also, if the water looks funny or you can't see the bottom easily that is bad.

and don't let little kids in them! bad for their little bodies!

soak away! but be informed!:)

hey, i am not saying don't use them....just be aware. remember....i saw it from the other side (working in a hotel).....

but FOAM is a bad thing...also, if the water looks funny or you can't see the bottom easily that is bad.

and don't let little kids in them! bad for their little bodies!

soak away! but be informed!:)

I always get one of the Windjammer staff to come over and squirt some of that anti-bacterial goo into the hottub before I jump in. Never had a problem. :D;)

My personal choice is not to use hot tubs anywhere - be it cruise ships, hotels or my HOA. I know from personal experience of keeping mine clean that it does not take much of an increase in water temperature of use by several people to let the bacteria get way out of control.:)

How true.

I always use, always would.

If the hot tub doesn't get me, I'm sure they will find something else to do so.

I just heard on my favorite show the Doctors, that they said that the most hot tubs are not that clean that you can develop a rash with tiny white heads all over your body if the clorine and filtering system is not working properly. As a pediatrican we do not see this in babies or children................................The doctor on this show on NBC affiliate says this will go away in a week, but it is a bad rash and its itchy.

Loretta

That's funny (or not). I saw this recently on an episode of HOUSE, that show about the psycho doctor. It was how Dr. House found out the wife had been cheating on her husband. Because he had never been on vacation and in a hot-tub.

I have been a big fan of relaxing in the hot tub, but after my April Cruise, I got a nasty infection on my hand. My infectious disease doctor told me that in all likelihood I picked it up the hot tub, and that I should not use them. It took ten days of hardcore antibiotics to clear up the thing.

Archived