Classical music

beauwalker

The last HAL cruise we took(2004) was on the Westerdam. Each evening a string quartet plaed in the Explorer's (?)Lounge. It was perfect after dinner entertainment. Was that a fluke or might we get something similar on Prinsendam or Rotterdam?

We enjoyed a string quartet last September on a Ryndam Alaska cruise and look forward to hearing another on the Zuiderdam this fall.

I hope such entertainment remains standard on HAL ships; the live classical music makes my trip all that more pleasureable.

We have enjoyed the string quartets in the Explorer's Lounge on each of our HAL cruises, including the Prinsendam.

Most recently it was the Adagio Strings (Hungarian) on the Eurodam. We have before-dinner drinks in the Explorer's Lounge.

We have cruised on other lines, but only one HAL, a Westerdam TA in 2005. I don't recall any classical string quartet, but this was a "big band" cruise. It would be so nice to have some really good music on all cruises.

Maybe we'll get back to HAL. All cruise lines should recognize that there is so much great music beyond some of the junk which passes for music these days. As with most, not all classical music is to our liking, but a lot is. The same holds for Broadway musicals. I confess also that we enjoy real old time country music. This is because we know someone well who is a classically trained violinist, and who has now concentrated on fiddling with the Wilders of Kansas City. Isn't it a coincidence that she has our last name. :D

We have discovered that the lead singers for the stage shows are typically classically trained. They are allowed to sing a bit of real music, but often limited to a few bars. Cruise lines, let them sing, let them sing.

My gosh, I know. We like good music. Perhaps I can help someone who does not yet know. The Met has opera in theaters across the country now. Look at Metopera. org to find next year's productions. The first is Tosca.

Now I have vented.

Bob :cool:

Oh I can add this as another favorite thing about HAL ships. Yes I enjoyed the classical music nightly in the Explorer's Lounge. And there were several other folks traveling alone because it wasn't a "dance music" venue. What a great form of entertainment for HAL to offer.

In my cruises it has always been a Trio. Piano, violin and another instrument. It used to be that the Rosario Strings-a Filipino group--were on most cruises. This is not true anymore. I love Classical Music. I listen to WFMT out of Chicago very often because it is one of the few classical stations remaining on the air.

Rosario Strings are GREAT, we had them on the Radiance of the Seas... I have a few of their CD's and listen to them from time to time, very soothing. Was lucky enough to have them play for me at my 50th birthday party while on board for a private party. Nice to see that they are on HAL now too...

It was no fluke. The Explorers Lounge features Classical Music each night on the HAL ships.

It is wonderful, wonderful.

Yep, every HAL cruise we have been on in the last three years .. about six or seven last count ... had them. The annoying thing is that few people order drinks and are there for the music only which makes it difficult to get an after dinner drink as all the seats are taken. I wonder if the venue needs to be larger ...

harry

The Explorer's Lounge and the classical music sounds lovely, will have to add it to the list of "must do's" on our upcoming cruise. Looking for ways to relax and unwind, and that sounds like it fits the bill!

We, too, thoroughly enjoy the music in the Explorer Lounge. It's our first stop on the first night and usually all through the cruise. Sooooo relaxing! :)

And, most often, very talented folks playing!

LoyHAL

We heard on the Grand Med/Black sea voyage this past winter that the Rosario Strings were going to be replaced with chamber music groups. This was from Roger (Rosario, whose father started the Rosario Strings years ago on HAL) one night in the Explorers Lounge. Apparently their contract is up this summer and it not going to be renewed. We spend part of every evening in the Exp. Lounge; as a matter of fact, this is one of the draws for us for HAL. These guys are great! Ask them to play practically anything and they can. Roger could play in his sleep, I would swear. We first met him in '01 on a repositioning cruise on the Amsterdam and were hooked. On this past fall's Grand Asia/Australia trip we had the misfortune to be stuck listening to the eastern European group the Sorgento Strings. They played the most obscure, strange and sometimes dirge-like music. 65 days of that was not good..... Yes, we could have gone somewhere else, but we really like the ambiance of the Exp. Lounge and not the smoke of the Ocean Bar or the awful singing in the piano lounge.

I should make a separate thread for this but I think that people need to contact HAL and request that the R. Strings not be let go! They told us that many people have already said that they want them on the World cruise next year and we agreed with them. I can't think of a nicer, more fun group of guys to spend 114 days with!

Linda R.

We enjoyed a string quartet last September on a Ryndam Alaska cruise and look forward to hearing another on the Zuiderdam this fall.

I hope such entertainment remains standard on HAL ships; the live classical music makes my trip all that more pleasureable.

Just got off the Zuiderdam Alaska cruise....they had the Adagio Strings from Hungary in the Explorers Lounge. It was a great way to end the evening. Don't know if the same quartet will be aboard until the fall.

The last HAL cruise we took(2004) was on the Westerdam. Each evening a string quartet plaed in the Explorer's (?)Lounge. It was perfect after dinner entertainment. Was that a fluke or might we get something similar on Prinsendam or Rotterdam?

On every HAL cruise we've taken, there's been a string quartet in the Explorer's Lounge each evening. We enjoy it very much!

My 14 year old son is a jazz musician, he plays piano and saxophone. I know he would be very interested in enjoying live music on board. Does anyone know if there might be anything available to him as it sounds like the above mentioned all takes place in a lounge, where I assume a 14 year old would not be allowed? We will be on the Zaandam in July.

My 14 year old son is a jazz musician, he plays piano and saxophone. I know he would be very interested in enjoying live music on board. Does anyone know if there might be anything available to him as it sounds like the above mentioned all takes place in a lounge, where I assume a 14 year old would not be allowed? We will be on the Zaandam in July.

Most of the live music takes place in the lounges, but kids are allowed to be there......just no adult beverages for them ;)

Just returned from the Amsterdam - they had a trio with the name of Adagio Strings, but I was rather disappointed. The few times I heard them play, it was Rodgers and Hammerstein-type pieces that sounded rather insipid on a piano and 2 violins. A year or so ago on the Oosterdam, there was an outstanding quartet that played some difficult, serious music and drew crowds to the Explorer's Lounge.

Most of the live music takes place in the lounges, but kids are allowed to be there......just no adult beverages for them ;)

That's excellent news, thanks! Good thing he's not a wine drinker :) I honestly didn't pay attention in the past to where kids would/would not be allowed.

Archived