Upgrade question

FIREKILLER

Ok everyone,

Somebody help me with this. We sail in 29 days, I booked with a TA and paid in full back in April. She had mentioned that around 30 days in, Carnival shold be looking at all their available cabins to see if they are going to call up for upgrades. I check weekly with her and with the Carnival website and the prices have gone up weekly. I have 1 balcony 8b and 1 interior 4f, I had her check on a suite for the balcony and Carnival is only quoting the price difference for the category, around $1500 difference for 3.

So here is finally my question, how do you try to get an upgrade for a great deal? Am I asking to much? Here is what I'm looking for.

To upgrade the 8b balcony to either a suite or to upgrade to a higher deck.

The interior, to upgrade either to our 8b balcony or a balcony on the same deck as the suite. What do you guys think?:)

It is a simple matter of supply and demand.

With prices rising, I would doubt any upsell calls will be forthcoming anytime soon.

Even when the same cabins have been available for the last 2 weeks?

what type of booking are you (funSelect, Early Saver.....)? You're after Final payment and cabin rates are rising, so you're not going to be able to ask for a cabin upgrade in lieu of a rate drop. Also with prices rising you're unlikely to get a "Great" upsell call, unless it happens at the last minute. Hopefully you booked cabins you can live with, as the only hope is see is a last-minute upsell call, but probably not a "Great" rate (consider making a reasonable counter-offer??) ken

Wow those are some major upgrades you are hoping for. I don't see you getting them for free Maybe as it gets closer you can get one at a discount but I wouldn't expect a lot.

I'm not asking for a free upgrade, wouldn't expect that from Carnival. What I'm trying to get at is this. If these prices continue to go up and are not being sold, wouldn't it benefit carnival to put me in an upgrade for a REASONABLE price, then try to sell my balcony and interior, which would seem easier?:confused:

Why let the higher categories go unsold when they could upgrade people that have already paid in full, then sell the cabins that the customer just left?

I'm not asking for a free upgrade, wouldn't expect that from Carnival. What I'm trying to get at is this. If these prices continue to go up and are not being sold, wouldn't it benefit carnival to put me in an upgrade for a REASONABLE price, then try to sell my balcony and interior, which would seem easier?:confused:

Why let the higher categories go unsold when they could upgrade people that have already paid in full, then sell the cabins that the customer just left?

I would guess that Carnival must have some kind of booking formula. X days out, Y cabins sold, increase prices. W cabins sold, lower prices. Your cruise has INCREASING prices, meaning sales running AHEAD of formula. Meaning Deals unlikely.

Sales running behind formula would mean better and better deals as time draws near.

Best you decide to enjoy what you have at the price paid.

I have been upgraded out of category ONCE in 50 cruises. A 4A to a 6B. Every other "upgrade" has been in letter only, not in number.

Also upgrades mostly happen with GTY cabins, not assigned cabins.

Some say they had luck having their TA or booking agent contact the upsell dept about 10 days out to get a reduced price upsell.

Thanks firefly,

I had my TA contact her person at Carnival to see what can be done on an upsell, I'll just keep calling weekly.:)

• 1 month later...
Thanks firefly,

I had my TA contact her person at Carnival to see what can be done on an upsell, I'll just keep calling weekly.:)

I have the same question. Since your cruise date has past you may not see this message but I'm curious as to whether or not you got the upgrade.

How to get an Upgrade? Next time book Guarantee. That usually gets you 2 upgrades categories.

Now if you booked 2 specific cabins, don't expect to be upgraded.

Now the only way to get upgraded is to call and pay for it.

Fred

we sailed the Victory last time, we had an upper deck Balcony, we walk to check in and the lady tells us to go through the VIP line. I was dumbfounded since I didn't what that meant, come to find out that we've been upgraded to a cat 11 suite.

this was our anniversary, I think that's why we got upgraded.

That suite was nice.

Archived