Need advice on suites Aft/Forward location

coup999

Hi All,

First time cruiser on NCL so I don't know the layout too well. Hoping that you experts can shed some light on this.

Wife and I are about to book on the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska. We are going to get a suite, but have some questions:

1. Is it better to get a Penthouse (AC) on the forward bow or get a Romance Suite (AD) on the aft of the ship? One faces front and sees what the bridge sees while the other faces directly behind the ship. I've read on some of the postings here that the aft cabins get smoke into the cabin from the smokestacks.

2. Is it worth it to get a Courtyard Villa (A4) on Deck 14 for an Alaska Cruise? The difference between the A4 and the other suites we're considering is the private deck that might come in handy for the inside passage and glacier days. Is it worth the view?

3. If we book a Courtyard Villa, are we allowed to bring the rest of our group (10 other people) into the private deck area? Is access restricted by a key card that might prevent our group from visiting us any time?

Thanks all!

I can't respond to your question whether a Courtyard Villa is worth the extra cost. However, I can say that an aft cabin cruising Alaska is wonderful! We had an aft balcony and it was perfect. As we sailed the inside passage was could see both sides. As an added bonus on our last night sailing back into Vancouver, we were able to watch the dolphins playing in the wake for hours.

We, too, loved the stern cabin! We had no problem/evidence of any smoke or soot on our balcony, just the yummy aroma of the bakery below us...it was wonderful!

We booked an AE again and we leave next Saturday! :D

We have always cruised forward, but I cruised in a stern cabin for the first time this month. The balcony was fantastic and very protected. (It was on the Grandeur this time, not NCL)

I did just book a stern on the Dawn, but I would also be happy forward again. The views are fantastic when you're in or nearing a port, but that forward balcony can be very windy and cold when you're at sea.

The Courtyard area on the Gem was great. There are some pics of it in my Gem album on webshots (link below in signature) if you want to check them out. I'm not sure if the set up is the same, but there are a lot of nice perks that come with the suites.

Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

Jackie

You're not kidding... We had 35 knot winds and didn't feel a thing back there! :D

We were able to sit out whenever we wanted. The balcony also had a covered alcove on the side, so you could still sit out if it rained.

Sometimes you CAN enjoy the front balcony in Alaska. I have seen a number of comments in the past that mention folks doing that.

Back of the ship (stern) does give you views to each side. We have done the side balcony and it was great.

We have done Courtyard on other cruise and it is great. You can not take extra folks up there, officially. There have been some long discussions about this, but I would think if you had a couple of folks it would not be a big deal. The outside area upstairs is large and there is lots of room for everyone.

Personally, I would do either an AB on the side or a Courtyard. Just love those cabins. But, we are not big on stern cabins ourselves.

We had a stern AE on the Jade and just loved it. We had great sunsets heading toward the eastern Med and beautiful sunrises coming back west. It was nice being sheltered out of the wind. And there was no smoke. Besides, NCL's ships have diesel propulsion systems.

Hi All,

2. Is it worth it to get a Courtyard Villa (A4) on Deck 14 for an Alaska Cruise? The difference between the A4 and the other suites we're considering is the private deck that might come in handy for the inside passage and glacier days. Is it worth the view?

If getting a view from the top of the ship is your main/only reason for wanting an A4 Courtyard Villa then I'd like to recommend you save your money. On the top of the ship there's not only the private sundeck (port side), there's also a very large public sundeck (starboard side) that anyone can access (via outdoor stairs, no elevator). And if it's anything like it was on our cruise, no one uses it (ex: on our 14-night Panama Canal cruise last year on the Jade, sister ship to the Pearl, the public deck on 15 was deserted the whole cruise except for a handful of people up there when we went through the Canal. I don't know if people just weren't that aware of it, or if they didn't use it because there's no amenities up there (no bathroom, bar, food, etc., only lots of lounge chairs). Kind of a shame because the views from up there were spectacular.

3. If we book a Courtyard Villa, are we allowed to bring the rest of our group (10 other people) into the private deck area? Is access restricted by a key card that might prevent our group from visiting us any time?

Whether you can bring guests or not to the private deck seems to be up to the individual ship/concierge/director/butler, etc. (whoever you check with). And yes, access to the private areas of Deck 14 and 15 are restricted by card key.

Whatever you book, have a wonderful trip!

Cheers,

~Joyce

We have sailed in an AB (on the side) on the Dawn and were blown away. (upsell). During that cruise we went to a party in the owners suite at the front of the ship. They had to keep the curtain pulled at night on the front deck so that their lights didn't get in the way of the bridge. We like to keep the balcony door open a little (in the Caribbean) during the night and you couldn't do that in their suite. They did have a side balcony as well but I believe the AC's only have the front balcony. We just booked an aft suite (AE) on the Dawn for our next cruise and are afraid we will love it too much!;)

Did a northbound AFT corner (starboard) ... was the most amazing experience. Lived out on the balcony when not in port.

Which ship? We are sailing in an AE corner starboard on the Star next week! We had the cabin next door to it last year on the Star and that was wonderful...can't wait for the corner one!

We haven't sailed in a forward penthouse cabin ourselves, but we saw one on our recent transatlantic; they had not been able to use the balcony at all--in fact it was locked--while at sea due to wind. It was unlocked while in port, but on a TA that meant 6 days at sea with no balcony usage. It was a sideways balcony.

The cabin was very nice, but it wouldn't be worth it to me not to be able to use the balcony. Of course, this depends much on ship speed and weather conditions.

I had an aft AC on the Sun in Feb and loved it! You should give it a try if you can.

We're about to book 2 weeks on Sun in AC 9076. Can you tell us if the bathroom has entrances from both the bedroom and living/entrance area?

We have looked at some pics but not sure if the person sleeping in the living room can get into the bath without going through the bedroom. Thanks much any information!

Steve :)

Which ship? We are sailing in an AE corner starboard on the Star next week! We had the cabin next door to it last year on the Star and that was wonderful...can't wait for the corner one!

Suzy - it wasn't NCL - it was on the Celebrity Summit. Was a corner AFT FV cabin (330 sq ft balcony). Was amazing. Corner aft Alaska is truly a dream come true. You will live on that balcony 24/7. Have a wonderful trip! We loved Alaska so much. In July, we're sailing Hawaii on the PoA.

OP..without a doubt I can tell you for Alaska the Aft (Stern) is AMAZING. You do have the protected balcony and we have never in four cruises been able to smell the exhaust from the ship or have any soot. It was amazing on our Alaskan cruise to be able to see all the views that we saw from our Aft balcony. We were in an AE so an AD would be even better. If you wanted a larger suite, I personally wouldn't go with the CV's, I would get an AA. With the AA's you get both a front balcony and a side balcony, and you still have access to the courtyard of the courtyard villa's, I believe.

We're about to book 2 weeks on Sun in AC 9076. Can you tell us if the bathroom has entrances from both the bedroom and living/entrance area?

We have looked at some pics but not sure if the person sleeping in the living room can get into the bath without going through the bedroom. Thanks much any information!

Steve :)

Hey Steve.. Yes.. your person sleeping in the livingroom will have access to the bathroom through the entry hall of your suite. That suite is a FANTASTIC suite and you are going to be shocked at how huge the balcony is. We were in 10076 (I believe that was the stateroom number) and it is right above the one you are asking about. WE LOVED IT. I honestly do not think I could sail on the Sun again without being in that cabin. Only warning I have for you is that every morning there was "trash" on the balcony of ours from the outdoor cafe upstairs. Banana peels, napkins, etc. I doubt you will have as much of that as we did as your balcony is more protected than ours was. The 10th deck is much more open above you on the balcony than other decks, at least that is how I remember it.

Suzy - it wasn't NCL - it was on the Celebrity Summit. Was a corner AFT FV cabin (330 sq ft balcony). Was amazing. Corner aft Alaska is truly a dream come true. You will live on that balcony 24/7. Have a wonderful trip! We loved Alaska so much. In July, we're sailing Hawaii on the PoA.

Thanks! We can't wait!

Please keep me updated as I just booked this room for August and can not find any pictures or info.

Archived