Oasis of the Seas vs. Norwegian Epic: Which would you book?

Which new ship are you more likely to book? (Check all that apply.)  

958 members have voted

1. 1. Which new ship are you more likely to book? (Check all that apply.)

• Norwegian Epic because it's cheaper
    • Norwegian Epic because of its superior entertainment options
    • Oasis of the Seas for me! It's bigger and offers more bang for my buck
    • Oasis of the Seas because there are better cabin options
    • I'd book either -- they both offer new innovations and deserve a good look
    • I'm going with the underdog -- Carnival Dream!
    • Neither ship appeals to me
    • I'm content sailing slightly older ships at a lower fare
    • I book for the itinerary, not for the ship
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

So if I am interested in Oasis or Epic, I am not a person who likes to cruise, and Oasis and Epic are not SHIPS.

Interesting logic.

Basically, I'm not speaking about Epic.....don't know enough about it to have an opinion....alll I know about it is it holds way too many passengers for my personal taste....and, in keeping with NCL's dining venues on other ships, it will offer a plethora of "for fee" dining......which I also don't like.

My opinion is about the Oasis and it's sister. And, the only comparison to cruise ships for these giants is the fact that they float.

Oasis is much bigger than Epic but as on many of RCIs ships it's also filled with a lots of "dead space". With that I mean that RCI don't use the space on the ship very good, to much air where they could have something else. Central Park, the Boardwalk and the Royal Promenade is in my opinion just a waste of space. Why fill so many decks with just air?

Oasis is much bigger than Epic but as on many of RCIs ships it's also filled with a lots of "dead space". With that I mean that RCI don't use the space on the ship very good, to much air where they could have something else. Central Park, the Boardwalk and the Royal Promenade is in my opinion just a waste of space. Why fill so many decks with just air?

Would you propose they fill that space with staterooms (i.e., people) like the Epic? This "dead space" is precisely why the "flow" on RCL ships is so good and why they do not seem crowded (most of the time).

We booked Oasis because well, it's Oasis big bad and beautiful. I can go boogie boarding. I would not book NCL because of the freestyle dining. I prefer dressing up for dinner. Yes I enjoy wearing my Tux for supper a couple times a week. We are also booked on Carnival Dream....

Would you propose they fill that space with staterooms (i.e., people) like the Epic? This "dead space" is precisely why the "flow" on RCL ships is so good and why they do not seem crowded (most of the time).

It makes no sence that RCL ships seems less crowded because they are filled with air, there is less place for the passengers to be so the air must make the ships more crowded!

The promenade itself might be nice but in my opinion it's a bad thing that deck 6, 7 and 8 are empty above the promenade (on Freedom class and Voyager class, I assume that Oasis will have even more empty space).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
No comparison between the two. The Oasis is in a class by herself and by the level of excitement during every phase of the building process, will be a legend by the time she sails. The Epic, on the other hand, has been roundly criticized (and rightly so) for the hideous design -- even by NCL diehards.

Also, the Epic is barely bigger than the RCCL Voyager class (15,000 tons), but will hold 1,100 more passengers. Crowded?? The Oasis will hold 1,200 more passengers than the Epic, but she is almost SEVENTY THOUSAND TONS bigger. No comparison whatsoever - sorry NCL. NEXT! :)

GRT is a measure of enclosed volume of a passenger ship and is calculated by a complex set of criteria found in SOLAS. RCI are able to increase these numbers by the use of the large atriums they install. this also applies to the space between the two towers on the Oasis. A better metric would be to give the square feet of deck space per passenger on board, after all 8 stories of fresh air count for nothing unless you can sprout wings. It is possible to significantly increase GRT by simply raising the balustrades on the balconies, doing this need to be weighed off against having a higher GRT which is a very transient marketing tool or if the ship is panamax or suexmax paying significantly higher canal transit fees

I chose 'other' because I'd book either one--IF the price was right. If fares stay as expensive as they are, I'll be perfectly happy with an 'older' ship at half the price.

On the Oasis, especially, I'd be a little worried about just how crowded all the extra venues would be, like the zip-line; don't really want to deal with hordes and lines at all the fun stuff--at least not more than usual on a cruise.

Honestly I think in 2012 when the prices will most definitely flatten out and the newness of both ships have died down some, we will give both ships a try. I think we like the idea of new and innovative. I have been intriqued from the beginning with the Oasis of the Seas more so than the Epic because I think RCL has pulled out all stops to publicize this ship more. I also think it would be amazing to travel on such a gigantic vessel. I can not even imagine what it would be like. I am starting to wonder if you would even feel like you are on the seas.:rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
I'm booked on both. Oasis in Aug 2010 and Epic in Jan 2011/ I have an inside on Oasis because of cost with 3 and a Penthouse on Epic (by myself). Norweigian gave me a military discount where RCCL does not,

I did the Oasis Inaugural too! December 5, 2009. And I'm doing the Epic 2010. Did I have the pleasure of meeting you? I was with the Critter group. I really enjoyed the Oasis of the Seas, but am equally looking forward to the Epic on January 8th. I don't want them to be the same! I want different and unique experiences. The Epic is significantly less expensive for me than the Oasis. However, I'm going on my birthday so I decided to go on a new ship.

Sandie

• 1 year later...

I went on the Oasis last summer. It was absolutely amazing. They knew how to control the crowds as I felt less crowded on the Oasis than my weekend last week on the NCL Sky.

Also, their cruise director was the best I've ever had. Usually they announce the shows and disappear. Richard Spacey was EVERYWHERE YOU WENT! I have never seen such a high energy, humorous, (not to mention attractive lol) cruise director ever. He made our cruise that much better.

I have the Epic booked for March.. I had fairly equal expectations from both but now after being on the Oasis, I don't know how anything besides the Allure could compare. I can't wait to be on the Epic and compare notes but from a distance I'd choose Oasis.

I know a lot of people disagree, but I have no interest in sailing either one. I don't like the big ships and I have been to the Caribbean enough.

Paul, i know you cruise a lot by your signature. so do i, maybe a little more than you. so my question is have you tried the Allure or the Oasis?????

my wife & i have done both and they are absolutely the WOW factor. you can only judge them if you have tried them. if you did than i respect your answer and if not , try them than make your decision. one can only make an educated decision by trying the product first... happy cruising.:)

Paul, i know you cruise a lot by your signature. so do i, maybe a little more than you. so my question is have you tried the Allure or the Oasis?????

my wife & i have done both and they are absolutely the WOW factor. you can only judge them if you have tried them. if you did than i respect your answer and if not , try them than make your decision. one can only make an educated decision by trying the product first... happy cruising.:)

Good point. There was a whole group of CC members who called themselves NOOTS. They professed their dislike of Oasis before it even came out and comitted to never saying her. Well, the NOOTS are falling like flies and many have gone on Oasis and LOVED it! ;)

Archived