investing in cruise stocks

vindex

For the purpose of stock investing, what are the publicly listed cruise

lines out there? I've counted two yet: Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Are

there others?

Among all these companies which ones really "get it", innovate, listen

to their customers, have strong brand loyalty?

Thanks,

there others?

Thanks,

Well, there is one more Disney, that is publically traded.

Carnival owns about 9 cruiselines, HAL, Princess, Cunard, a bunch of others.

RCL owns 3 cruiselines, RCL, Celebrity and Azamara (sp?)

NCL is about the only stand alone that runs in the US I can think of other than some rinky dink out of Ft. Lauderdale for gambling.

I own 200 shares of RCL. I bought low in early 2009. They are a great company that seems to be adjusting to the times well and in the "If you build it they will come" mentality. They also seem to be having very good feedback on their marketing. It seems to be working.

BTW... stock has tripled since I bought it. And Oasis of the Seas hasn't even started sailing.

there others?

Thanks,

If investment is your real interest and maximizing your return is your goal you shouldn't think about investing in something so narrow as "cruise lines" You should broaden your scope and investment net to leisure and entertainment as the segment and ask the question which segment in that larger group is positioned to have a larger growth / earning relevative to the other subsectors.

If investment is your real interest and maximizing your return is your goal you shouldn't think about investing in something so narrow as "cruise lines" You should broaden your scope and investment net to leisure and entertainment as the segment and ask the question which segment in that larger group is positioned to have a larger growth / earning relevative to the other subsectors.

My Investment advisor thought I was nuts to buy Carnival stock when the stock market was tanking. Since then, besides the $100. on board credit I recieved, the stock is up about $7 a share. That's an $800 profit on a $1900. investment. In my mind, that's a great investment- way up from all my "balanced" mutual funds that have completely tanked. I just wish I had also bought RCI stock, it has tripled in value since it's lowest point. I didn't buy, because I didn't want to tie all my stock money up in one industry.

My Investment advisor thought I was nuts to buy Carnival stock when the stock market was tanking. Since then, besides the $100. on board credit I recieved, the stock is up about $7 a share. That's an $800 profit on a $1900. investment. In my mind, that's a great investment- way up from all my "balanced" mutual funds that have completely tanked. I just wish I had also bought RCI stock, it has tripled in value since it's lowest point. I didn't buy, because I didn't want to tie all my stock money up in one industry.

So did you sell, or are u holding. If you haven't sold then its only a paper profit. CCL got you there don't they ;)

The past 3 months were the time to buy, almost everything bounced so your story isn't really that special. What is different is now you feel the need to hold the stock instead of sell if you are after OBC. If you were after profits there were several markets and sectors that bounced as much if not more :D When tide is rising all boats rise, even the leaky and unseaworthy one.

Are you an investor or and speculator. Likely your "Investment advisor" was giving you good advice based on fundamentals. The fact you made a bundle says NOTHING about is their forward looking business sound or if their stock is valued correctly. That is investment, not speculation, but its good to hear you made some money. Now don't put all your eggs in that one basket now!

I hear you there, this is sound advice.

However it seems to me cruising has excellent potential among the wider

leisure/entertainement sector. Both Carnival and RCI are well positioned

in Europe where cruising is almost totally unknown as a vacation option

by the mainstream population (less so among retirees). This struck me

when I read a stat that only 2% of (western) europeans had ever cruised.

In eastern Europe this would be closer to 0%. (BTW what is the US stat?)

Given that cruising is highly addictive with a high brand loyalty, I just

started tracking those stocks. Which I will do for a while before

dipping my toes.

Do you have to own a certain number of stocks to get the obc? What if you just held a few?

• Administrators

Oh come on, why create confusion with the facts? :) Buy cruise stock, if you wish, for any perks it brings, but realize that doing so as an investment is no different than buying a particular utility, hotel, movie company, etc.

Do you have to own a certain number of stocks to get the obc? What if you just held a few?

You must own a minimum of 100 shares of either RCL or CCL for their respective lines. Not sure about the requirements for Disney.

As a Financial Advisor I find this thread interesting and fun to read. I have a few clients who cruise often and own enough shares to get the obc.. they have owned their shares for a very long time and have profit (unrealized gains as we call it in the biz not paper profits) but buy it for the fun of it and feeling loyal to the company. Like MSFT or SBUX people like to own what they know. INVEST with care and you'll be fine. ;) Donna PS it's like my clients who own COST so they don't have to pay the annual fee!

Oh come on, why create confusion with the facts? :) Buy cruise stock, if you wish, for any perks it brings, but realize that doing so as an investment is no different than buying a particular utility, hotel, movie company, etc.

Did the engineer in me come out :D

I'd have to buy a few too many shares in a few too many companies if I wanted to be sure to always get OBC or not have my cruise selection tainted by the stock I owned.

It's vacation! I simply can't have my choice clouded by something so petty as OBC saddled with another few thousand invested for it ;)

So did you sell, or are u holding. If you haven't sold then its only a paper profit. CCL got you there don't they ;)

The past 3 months were the time to buy, almost everything bounced so your story isn't really that special. What is different is now you feel the need to hold the stock instead of sell if you are after OBC. If you were after profits there were several markets and sectors that bounced as much if not more :D When tide is rising all boats rise, even the leaky and unseaworthy one.

Are you an investor or and speculator. Likely your "Investment advisor" was giving you good advice based on fundamentals. The fact you made a bundle says NOTHING about is their forward looking business sound or if their stock is valued correctly. That is investment, not speculation, but its good to hear you made some money. Now don't put all your eggs in that one basket now!

I'm not sure whether to consider myself an investor or a speculator, or just someone who wanted to make a good investment choice based on what I thought would be a good buy. The extra $100 I recieved in OBC was icing on the cake. So far all the professional advice I have recieved has cost me many thousands of dollars in lost money. Real money that I earned and invested towards my retirement. Will it come back again? I don't know. Will my Carnival stock lose value? I can't answer that either.

All I can say is that for right now, I am happy with my investment choice and plan to hold onto it.

p.s- I won't put all my money in the travel industry or cruiselines [What I have invested won't make or break me]. But I have always read to invest in something you care about- and cruising is right near the top of my list:)

A lot of posters and beginning cruisers seem to think buying stock is the best way to get an OBC. Big mistake. The money they use to invest can be used somewhere else and just work on getting the BIG the obc's from a good agent.

Considering some lines are cancelling or slowing down the building of new ships and other lines are revising itineraries to try to recoup lost profits, I personally can think of other places to invest at this time. If you just like to "play", then play. I invest for other reasons.;)

Just to piggyback on what eandj stated.....keep in mind that both RCL & CCL have decided to suspend the dividends for 2009 and there is no guarantee that the OBC will continue on an annual basis. Unless you are purchasing the stock as a long-term investment, will your stock hold the same appeal if they eliminate the OBC next April?

I personally love being a stockholder, but the OBC is simply a perk, not a given. Just food for thought.

Just to piggyback on what eandj stated.....keep in mind that both RCL & CCL have decided to suspend the dividends for 2009 and there is no guarantee that the OBC will continue on an annual basis. Unless you are purchasing the stock as a long-term investment, will your stock hold the same appeal if they eliminate the OBC next April?

I personally love being a stockholder, but the OBC is simply a perk, not a given. Just food for thought.

I have always felt that you do not buy any stock for the fringe benefits unless for you they are substantial. Someone like Lorraine Arzt who lives on the Royal Princess probably get $5000 a year from the shareholder OBC (if she owns Carnival stock). This is certainly more than any possible loss on the stock.

However, someone going on one short cruise a year and getting $50 or $100 OBC shuold be looking at the stock as an investment. Will it go up over time?

However, someone going on one short cruise a year and getting $50 or $100 OBC shuold be looking at the stock as an investment. Will it go up over time?

Yes, and is the stockholder able to be patient enough to see a worthwhile change? Seems that one who buys for the low OBC isn't the type who is thinking out very far.

Got caught in the crash, but the OBC and the Martinis I bought with it helped to briefly ease the pain:D.

I think that the past several months has brought the words "Gamble" or "Can Lose Value"back into the investing vocabulary.

Denise

A lot of posters and beginning cruisers seem to think buying stock is the best way to get an OBC. Big mistake. The money they use to invest can be used somewhere else and just work on getting the BIG the obc's from a good agent.

Considering some lines are cancelling or slowing down the building of new ships and other lines are revising itineraries to try to recoup lost profits, I personally can think of other places to invest at this time. If you just like to "play", then play. I invest for other reasons.;)

I think when the stock market was high and people shelled out thousands of dollars just to get $100 obc, that was probaly a big mistake. They would have to take many, many cruises to make up their lost stock value. However, when stocks were at their lowest point, [for RCCL $6 a share], then in just 6 cruises you could have recouped the entire cost of your investment. Any gains at that point would be pure profit.

I personally bought Carnival stock, because I thought it was a good value [what do I know about investing- very little] and so far it has gained value and I'm happy. I'm certainly not complaining about the extra $100 spending money I recieved on my last cruise with them. I'm still kicking myself for not buying RCCL when it was at it's lowest point.

This year I booked a cruise with RCCL during a one day sale, and the OBC they were offering was not combinable with the OBC for stock purchases, therfore owning stock would have done me no good.

The stock market is a gamble- sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I like to buy stock in companies I believe in and do business with. I purchased 100 shares of RCCL at $9.25 (and KICK myself for not buying a month or so earlier when the price as far lower) and last week it was in the $15 range. So while that is still only a paper profit, I've also already rec'd back $150 in OBC. If I keep cruising as I have been, and this keeps up, it will certainly have paidfor itself before long. I do seriously regret that they aren't combining credits anymore :(

:confused:

So, does Carnival combine OBC?

For example, can you combine the stock OBC with a "future cruise credit" OBC on a Princess cruise?

If not, what would be the point in buying the stock for the OBC? You could just buy future cruise deposits, right?

I get an OBC whenever I book a cruise on a cruise - never bought the stock - was thinking about it but then it went up - I'll just keep watching what happens. It would be nice to get both OBC's and I believe that RCI used to do that but stopped.

Archived