Mariner, Istanbul to Rome , 6/28/10

Hi,

My DH and I just booked this cruise. Hope that some other CC members will consider it. I hope Poss chimes in as she told me in another board that she is also booked.

The cruise has a couple of ports I'm not familiar with, Olbia, in Sardinia and Trapani, Sicily. The main allure for us are the ports in Turkey , a couple of greek islands stops and Sorrento (for Amalfi coast).

Hi,

My DH and I just booked this cruise. Hope that some other CC members will consider it. I hope Poss chimes in as she told me in another board that she is also booked.

The cruise has a couple of ports I'm not familiar with, Olbia, in Sardinia and Trapani, Sicily. The main allure for us are the ports in Turkey , a couple of greek islands stops and Sorrento (for Amalfi coast).

Yes! We (DH and I) are booked as well. We're planning to go 2 or 3 days early to see more of Istanbul and stay 4 days post-cruise to explore Rome. I think it's just a fabulous itinerary and we're very excited!

Guess we need to start a roll call!:D

Hello Impeaches,

That is great! Yes, we should start a roll call!

We haven't given any thought yet as to how many days pre and post. For sure at least we will arrive 1-2 days prior to Istanbul.

Actually, would appreciate any suggestions for hotels in Istanbul anybody may have.

Wendy,

I didn't know about a Caravaggio in Malta. Where is it? I have also been in Tunisia and Malta years ago, don't mind going back. And of course, I can always go to Rome one more time!

There are strong links between the artist and Malta. After Caravaggio committed a murder, he fled to Malta and there is a masterpiece of his in, I believe, St John's cathedral in Valetta.

There are strong links between the artist and Malta. After Caravaggio committed a murder, he fled to Malta and there is a masterpiece of his in, I believe, St John's cathedral in Valetta.

Thank you for that information, that is so interesting. When I went to Malta years go I didn't know about that. Well, actually, I became a fan of Caravaggio afterwards.

Ah, Istanbul! Definitely one of the reasons we wanted to do this cruise-- to visit that city again (did it last year on Voyager and are eager to come back for more).

Where to stay? If cost were no object, the Four Seasons, Sultanahmet. (Be sure to visit. Very lovely.) Since FS wasn't an option for us, and since I knew I wanted to stay in the same area (rather than on the Bosphorus), I did volumes of research (as is my wont!) trying to find a hotel that would best suit our druthers.

Main priorities were quiet and good comfortable king bed. Hoped to find decent-sized quarters, including good bathroom. Hoped to be in comfortable walking distance of most sights/sites and pleasant restaurants. I read numerous reviews, looked at numerous photos, e-mailed a number of hotels, etc. etc.

Finally chose the Best Western Regency Premier. And was very pleased with choice. We had a suite on the top floor-- quite commodious and comfortable. Distant view of the river and appealing close-up views. Literally around the corner from the 4 Seasons. Terrific street with many outdoor cafes. Very close to Blue Mosque, the "little" bazaar (forget what it's called, but I remember that Wendy had liked it-- we also!) and just about everything else. Walked everywhere, morning, noon and night. Heard occasional voices from street once or twice (and of course prayer calls), but never a bother (even to this hypersensitive traveler.). Management was terrific-- very kind, courteous and helpful. Breakfast was quite pleasant, both the room and the food.

Ok, not one of the truly memorable hotels we've ever stayed in, but we were very pleased. Price was good; all else likewise. Btw, never felt, not even for one second, that we were in a U.S. hotel. (Had wondered about staying at a Best Western.) Glad to answer any other questions if I can.

Actually if price is not a concern, and for us it wasn't as the stock market had not crashed yet, the Cirigan Palace is the place to stay. While not convenient, everything else is unbelievable, including the river view if you get a room on that side. BTW the breakfast buffet is off the charts.

Hello Impeaches,

That is great! Yes, we should start a roll call!

We haven't given any thought yet as to how many days pre and post. For sure at least we will arrive 1-2 days prior to Istanbul.

Actually, would appreciate any suggestions for hotels in Istanbul anybody may have.

Hey there, cruiseluv and all:

I'm actively researching Istanbul hotels as well and would also appreciate any suggestions.

I've been heavily into the Trip Advisor site. (That sounds like an addiction; oh, well, I suppose it is.) The Four Seasons or the Ciragan Palace Kempinski would be our first choices, in keeping with the theme of luxury that is the Mariner. Alas, they are too precious for us at the moment, given the state of our stock portfolios.:( I have a "thing" for terraces on my cruise ships and my hotels, so I'll keep looking.

Would love any tips on great Rome hotels as well. I'm a research geek, but it's always nice to have a truly personal recommendation. I'd love a place with a nice rooftop terrace for breakfast with a view.

Never too early to plan---it's half the fun!

Caravaggio: John the Baptist (St John the Baptist at the Fountain), Collezione Bonelli, Valletta.

As someone else said, he was exiled to Malta after committing a crime.

I agree Istanbul is the ultimate Med. destination. But you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a hotel if you don't want to--the Ottoman inns in the Sultanahmet offer some great choices.

Thank you for the recommendations. Pls keep them coming.

Impeaches,

In Rome I recommend Hotel Dei Mellini. I stayed there a few years ago and will be staying there again next month. It is a 4 star hotel for which sometimes you can get reasonable rates.

Poss,

After your comments in the other board I went and checked the Silversea prices for similar cruises. Wow, even prices with the prepaying option are really off the charts.

There is a new Four Seasons Bospherus right next to Ciragan Palace which I visited right before it opened and looks spectacular. As is the one at Sultanahmet where I did stay. Best service and ambience in Istanbul and within a few minutes walk to all the major sights. If I had a few days I'd split my time between the two.

I too have looked at this cruise for our family. The itinerary is great. Most of the ports we have been to but Istanbul, Kusadasi & Sardinia were the winners. BTW on the Regent map they shown Olbia (the port for Sardinia) to be on the south west corner of the island when in reality it is in the north east corner actually not far from the Costa Smeralda (the most famous area of Sardinia). The only drawback of the cruise was only 2 sea days. We were on Crystal Serenity last summer for a 12 day Med and there were 3 sea days which we gratefully needed. All those back to back ports were tough.

Suggest you all start a Roll Call. You'll have the opportunity to share all of this wonderful information. We booked our pre-cruise with Regent and stayed at the Ritz Carlton -- the hotel was nice -- the breakfast was totally over the top -- wonderful! We also went to a local restaurant for dinner where they provided approx. 16 local, fresh, appetizers, fish, dessert and all the wine you could drink (local wine).

Istanbul is not one of our top 3 destinations!

I too have looked at this cruise for our family. The itinerary is great. Most of the ports we have been to but Istanbul, Kusadasi & Sardinia were the winners. BTW on the Regent map they shown Olbia (the port for Sardinia) to be on the south west corner of the island when in reality it is in the north east corner actually not far from the Costa Smeralda (the most famous area of Sardinia). The only drawback of the cruise was only 2 sea days. We were on Crystal Serenity last summer for a 12 day Med and there were 3 sea days which we gratefully needed. All those back to back ports were tough.

Hi Maryella,

Hope you come back and let us know if you decide to book. For a moment I was very excited to read the itinerary offered 2 sea days. Unfortunately , it only has 1 sea day! To me that is somewhat of a drawback. I love sea days!

OOps! Sorry Cuiseluv you are right. Only 1 sea day on this itinerary. Yes that is a drawback for us too. We love those days at sea. Trying to get 2 teen girls out of bed at 7 every morning for touring is very tough. However I have always wanted to try Regent so I am going to give this one some serious thought. A question for all those veterns. I see on this cruise that they include air. Are you able to pick your airline and schedule and also can you upgrade using miles? Thanks!

OOps! Sorry Cuiseluv you are right. Only 1 sea day on this itinerary. Yes that is a drawback for us too. We love those days at sea. Trying to get 2 teen girls out of bed at 7 every morning for touring is very tough. However I have always wanted to try Regent so I am going to give this one some serious thought. A question for all those veterns. I see on this cruise that they include air. Are you able to pick your airline and schedule and also can you upgrade using miles? Thanks!

Maryella,

Having a couple of teenagers myself I totally understand your problem!

It does include air , but be aware that if you don't take the air you will get a $1,000 PP price reduction. If you take the air , you will charged an additional $200-300 PP in air taxes. I have never taken air provided by Regent but it is my understanding that if you pay a deviation fee of $100 you can request your preferred flights. I doubt that these tickets are upgradeable with miles, have never heard of anybody doing that. Hopefully some people with real experience on the subject will comment.

Having just looked into those air questions myself, I can report that cruiseluv's replies are right on in every respect (unless I've been give misinformation).

Btw, I suspect we'll be turning one of the port days into a "sea" day as well-- but don't intend to decide which one until we're on cruise. I.e. intend to book excursions in advance and cancel if desire is stronger to stay aboard.

Having just looked into those air questions myself, I can report that cruiseluv's replies are right on in every respect (unless I've been give misinformation).

Btw, I suspect we'll be turning one of the port days into a "sea" day as well-- but don't intend to decide which one until we're on cruise. I.e. intend to book excursions in advance and cancel if desire is stronger to stay aboard.

I am planning to play it by ear as well.

Archived