Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

Only made it through page 8, then decided to voice our opinions

For those kids that have "full run of the ship"....what happens if someone grabs them into one of the cabins? :eek: These are floating cities. I just can't be that trusting. :(

We've found we need to be trusting. "What happens if" scenarios can be played out to the point where our children are paralyzed. Some risk is necessary and we deal with it by keeping it in perspecitve and not getting hung up on indvidual tragedies - at home or any where else.

And futhermore, why didn't this family have some sort of emergancy plan in place? We certainly didn't cruise when I was a kid, but my folks drilled into my siblings and I that we, as a family need to HAVE A PLAN IF YOU GET SEPERATED. I dunno, sounds like common sense to me. I mean, it's usually easy enough -- even for a scared and confused 10 year old -- to get to the atrium and go to the information desk.

Agree with this completely. We agree to meet at in a public place that easiest to find - usually the main lobby/ pursur's desk. Our kids also carry cell phones for emergency use only.

Well, I guess that works for you - but it wouldn't work for us. I homeschool my kids and they get more than enough adult interaction and supervision. I also trust their judgment, even at 8 and 9, enough to allow them to play in the front yard, ride their bikes around the neighborhood, etc. Likewise, I have no problem with them going to the Lido Deck for ice cream, playing mini golf, or doing certain other activities without us on a cruise.

I've worked in the criminal justice system, and I'm aware of the dangers out there. I'm also aware that for me, a life ruled by fear is not a workable way live.

We're with you Rowan! We also enforce the buddy system with our kids.

DW and I will probably not win this group's "parent of the year" contest and we can live with that. We're the types that shook our heads in wonder at the swine flu thing. People seem to be unable to recognize when the solution does more harm then the problem. The consequences of being under-protective are immediate, devestating and rare. The consequences of being over-protective are not as immediate, can be serious and are extremely common.

So many college age kids fail because they have no idea how to handle independence when its thrust upon them. IMO, its great for pre- teens to develop some decsion making skills in the realitively controlled environment of a cruise ship.

What is miss torrie?:confused:

There was a cruiser from Alaska who posted her tales of woe...missing flight..etc....then left us hanging...like a soap opera! Of course all the unemployed folks on CC:D (just joking) made it their life's mission to find out if she made it or not to the ship...they started posting alternate flight schedules for her and offerring all the advice one would ever need.

Well, after about 20 pages of posts, mostly asking...wher is miss tori? Has anyone heard from her? OMG, I hope she is OK! You know all the do gooder type of guilt ridden questions, it was determined that miss tori was actually a MISTORY and just playing with us sincere posters! I also believe she was a one post wonder who may or may not have been a troll. There was a lot of debate on that as well.

Then more fun began when more similiar types of tales of woe posts started to emerge by other one post wonders using different screen names and us CC regulars started to realize, well at least I did, that we were being played.

The actual name Miss Tori took on many different spelling as well, Mis Tory, Miss Torrie, Mis Tori...etc.etc..

And yes, everyone felt really sorry:rolleyes: for all the posts relating such horrible experiences.

As for me, between ROTFLMFAO, I keep a vigil on Miss Tori and friends, not because I have so much free time on my hands, but more so to see just how far the ccers would take it...I half expected them to start a Mis Tori collection fund to make sure she had enough cash to get to the ship she missed, due to bad weather in Alaska and then had to buy a more expensive ticket to fly to San Diego...oh and yes, why in the world would a cruiser from Alaska book a winter/spring cruise with ut buying insurance?

You get the drift, I am sure and I have a photographic memory so that is why I remember the issues...not because I don't have a life!:D

I personally don't like it but anyone that takes their kids should know about the activities planned. Mine will just skip those and stay with me. I'd prefer them not running around the ship on a scavenger hunt.

agree...and asking who knows what type of questions to other pax and crew....aka perfect/imperfect strangers!:(

People always bring up the "will be going to college soon" statement. Not everyone goes to college-LOL. 18 doesn't necessarily mean "don't listen to your parents/youre on your own/do whatever you want". I had rules to follow until I moved out of the house at 21 and my grown child does too.

Case and point to my previous post. I had more independence when I was a child and I was for all - intents and purposes - self sufficient at 18. We will expect the same of our children when they are grown - but that means we have to let them - well - grow.

Just curious what some of you think of the fact that Camp Carnival has 4 or 5 unsupervised activities for 9 - 11 year olds where the kids go around the ship in groups of 2 or 3 to complete various games and scavenger hunts - many of which involve interacting with adult crew and passengers to get answers to the questions?

Yes, we have had conversations about this to prepare for our cruise this Sunday. My daughter was asking specifically about the "People Bingo" that we saw on the capers.

I am not thrilled with the scavenger hunts, because it sets the kids up to go running around the ship, and possibly interferring with the relaxation of other passengers.

So we discussed that she can go as long as she stays in the group. Did not go down any passenger hallways. And was VERY mindful of her behavior toward the other passengers, meaning - no running down the stairs with the pack of kids. No pushing past the adults. No being rude.

She is a good kid. But even the best kid can be annoying to other passengers if they are just seen as a mob of kids running amok.

When we were on Elation. I saw a group of boys (weren't older than 10) making the biggest mess at the ice cream bar one night. They were trying to make the "grossest" concoction. They were ripping open tea bags and adding it to the ice cream, napkins, creamers, then left the whole mess for the crew members to clean up. And all I could think of was "Where ARE your parents?"

Its not the passengers' responsibility to look out for my kids. That's my job.

Nothing wrong with that. But then again, you also understand the difference between sharing an opinion and turning everything into an argument that must be won at all costs. There are some around here that don't always remember that.

Guilty as charged. :D

Yes, we have had conversations about this to prepare for our cruise this Sunday. My daughter was asking specifically about the "People Bingo" that we saw on the capers.

I am not thrilled with the scavenger hunts, because it sets the kids up to go running around the ship, and possibly interferring with the relaxation of other passengers.

So we discussed that she can go as long as she stays in the group. Did not go down any passenger hallways. And was VERY mindful of her behavior toward the other passengers, meaning - no running down the stairs with the pack of kids. No pushing past the adults. No being rude.

In a previous post I believe you said you wouldn't be allowing your child signing in/out privileges - just wanted you to know that if she is not allowed to sign herself in and out, she will not be allowed to participate in those activities - they will have her stay with the 6-8 year olds while the scavenger hunts are taking place.

If your daughter is 16, there are a lot more dangers in the "real world" than on a cruise ship. Try the 16 year old boys in her class! I would hope a 16 year old would be capable of being on a cruise ship by herself and allowed a little free time on her own. What are you going to do two years from now when she is considered "legal" and can legally make all her own decisions without asking your permission?! How about walkie talkies for these kids so in case they ever find themselves in the position the ops daughter did, they can just call Mon and Dad.

Pat

I didn't say she wasn't capable of being on her own nor being forced to be with me. She prefers to be with people she knows, her aunt, cousin ( similar in age) and myself.

16? Wow. She's less than two years from adulthood and probably even less to being on her way to college. You may want to let her develop some life skills so she can handle those upcoming transitions.

Some of you people read way too much into a simple statement. She has life skills. So do the many perverts out there. It would be way too simple for someone to follow her or your child down an empty hallway and god knows what to them.

My thoughts are that I could grab any adult let alone a child and pull them into my cabin. With that said no matter how well you prepare your children for this it could easily happen. Therefore I keep my kids close unless they are in a group of kids with at least one being 16 or so. Call me cautious but my kids will be here to live another day. I am sure alot of the adults responding to this post could pull a child in with no problem. Once they are gone there are no what ifs. Sorry for anyone thinking im too careful.;)

Ditto and a big thumbs up!

And for those of you who seem to think you are a better parent to my child that you do not even know, here's some background info. My daughters survived an attempted abduction from a known pedophile. They were 11 and 5 at the time. My older daughter was able to give a complete description and a partial tag number. He was arrested the next day. This event changed my children's life and my own FOREVER! Does this make me a little paranoid or just street smart? This is a rhetorical question. I will err on the side of caution, Thank you very much!

All kids are not created equal.......all parents are not created equal.........everyone knows what is best for thier own kids regardless of the imperfect world we live in.........

Making sure your child is not alone roaming the decks on a cruise ship or anywhere else with 3' date='000 strangers is not going to stunt their mental or physical capacity when they get older..........good god:rolleyes:[/quote']

I do agree that letting your child have freedom is a good thing and it makes the kids feel good BUT my problem comes when the parents don't care where the children are, or what they are doing and believe me, there are many of them on ships! I could tell you sooooo many stories about what kids are doing while the parents are letting them have freedom.

You are correct when you say "not all Parents are created equal"

Let them have freedom but you must know what they are doing and where they are....without them knowing of course.

My youngest is 14, she knows where i will be and i know where she will be, she has check in times and when i go to the cabin for the night, so does she. To many parent have no clue where their kids are, even at night.

This statement was not directly toward you, just used the quote to state my mind.

I do agree that letting your child have freedom is a good thing and it makes the kids feel good BUT my problem comes when the parents don't care where the children are, or what they are doing and believe me, there are many of them on ships! I could tell you sooooo many stories about what kids are doing while the parents are letting them have freedom.

You are correct when you say "not all Parents are created equal"

Let them have freedom but you must know what they are doing and where they are....without them knowing of course.

My youngest is 14, she knows where i will be and i know where she will be, she has check in times and when i go to the cabin for the night, so does she. To many parent have no clue where their kids are, even at night.

This statement was not directly toward you, just used the quote to state my mind.

Oh no.......I completely agree with you......as long as the child is not alone......

Ok maybe I'm not getting this.........but how in the world is making sure your child is not running around alone on a cruise ship or anywhere else prove that they will not grow up to be a responsible adult:confused::rolleyes: That is ludicrous.......

I'll try to answer your question....

It starts with teaching emergency planning - here's what happens if we don't meet where we are supposed to mee, what happens if there really is an alarm, when to use the cell phone, ect.

There is responsibility - the buddy system - and being where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there. hold onto your key card.

There is navigational skills and following directions.

There is awareness - stay on the public decks and away from deangerous situations - how to recognize them ect.

We found that our kids are very receptive to these concepts on a cruise ship because the rewards (ice cream, pizza, and just plain getting around on your own in a cool setting) are so great.

That's just a few examples there's a lot more

I must disagree - the PARENTS are the ones that should educate their kids, if they are agreeing to allow the child to sign in/out. At 12, they have complete freedom of the ship. I believe in granting independence slowly...I would rather start my kid at 9/10/11 (whenever ready) with a little bit of independence than have it thrust upon him at 12 with no experience.

What I was trying to say was that Carnival has no knowledge of how well I or any parent has prepared the child for life on a cruise ship. Would it kill a Carnival employee to say to kid, "Do you know how to get back to your room?" or "Are you able to find your parents?" A simple question could have avoided all of this. Especially since the child did not want to sign out herself and was ill. I just don't feel 9 and 10 year old kids should be able to sign themselves out: my personal parenting decision which in no way affects anyone else. In the end I would not choose to use a cruise ship at night as an example of granting independence slowly. I am not an overprotective mom, but with 2500 people I do not know, it isn't my choice.

When we were on Elation. I saw a group of boys (weren't older than 10) making the biggest mess at the ice cream bar one night. They were trying to make the "grossest" concoction. They were ripping open tea bags and adding it to the ice cream, napkins, creamers, then left the whole mess for the crew members to clean up. And all I could think of was "Where ARE your parents?"

Its not the passengers' responsibility to look out for my kids. That's my job.

LOL I have seen this pretty much on every Carnival ship we have sailed.....

I have never been a big fan of this all you can eat ice cream....I have even seen kids put their mouths under the ice cream spout:rolleyes:

There was a cruiser from Alaska who posted her tales of woe...missing flight..etc....then left us hanging...like a soap opera! Of course all the unemployed folks on CC:D (just joking) made it their life's mission to find out if she made it or not to the ship...they started posting alternate flight schedules for her and offerring all the advice one would ever need.

Well, after about 20 pages of posts, mostly asking...wher is miss tori? Has anyone heard from her? OMG, I hope she is OK! You know all the do gooder type of guilt ridden questions, it was determined that miss tori was actually a MISTORY and just playing with us sincere posters! I also believe she was a one post wonder who may or may not have been a troll. There was a lot of debate on that as well.

Then more fun began when more similiar types of tales of woe posts started to emerge by other one post wonders using different screen names and us CC regulars started to realize, well at least I did, that we were being played.

The actual name Miss Tori took on many different spelling as well, Mis Tory, Miss Torrie, Mis Tori...etc.etc..

And yes, everyone felt really sorry:rolleyes: for all the posts relating such horrible experiences.

As for me, between ROTFLMFAO, I keep a vigil on Miss Tori and friends, not because I have so much free time on my hands, but more so to see just how far the ccers would take it...I half expected them to start a Mis Tori collection fund to make sure she had enough cash to get to the ship she missed, due to bad weather in Alaska and then had to buy a more expensive ticket to fly to San Diego...oh and yes, why in the world would a cruiser from Alaska book a winter/spring cruise with ut buying insurance?

You get the drift, I am sure and I have a photographic memory so that is why I remember the issues...not because I don't have a life!:D

I guess my explanation wasn't enough huh? :D You must have more time on your hands than me. hehe. What's really funny is how that poster is still making waves, eg. even in this thread. Must be great entertainment for them.

It starts with teaching emergency planning - here's what happens if we don't meet where we are supposed to mee, what happens if there really is an alarm, when to use the cell phone, ect.

There is responsibility - the buddy system - and being where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there. hold onto your key card.

There is awareness - stay on the public decks and away from deangerous situations - how to recognize them ect.

We found that our kids are very receptive to these concepts on a cruise ship because the rewards (ice cream, pizza, and just plain getting around on your own in a cool setting) are so great.

That's just a few examples there's a lot more

That answered my question:confused::p

I asked how does making sure your child does not roam a ship alone(some call it overprotective) prove that they will not be a responsible adult?

You need to learn to read. I said everyone "who" has the mental capacity, Below I mention working (I know a bad word in this free loader economy). Perhaps that so many dropout is attributed to helicopter parents that have left their kids with no coping skills

Having a bad day?

In a previous post I believe you said you wouldn't be allowing your child signing in/out privileges - just wanted you to know that if she is not allowed to sign herself in and out, she will not be allowed to participate in those activities - they will have her stay with the 6-8 year olds while the scavenger hunts are taking place.

Thanks, I was wondering about that this morning. I have the kid capers here and I don't see anywhere that says the kids will not be permitted to do these activities if they don't have sign in/out privledges. In the past, the camp staff took them to the other actitivies but I see some events say "unsupervised".

So I'll talk to the camp staff on Sunday. And I'll prepare my oldest in advanced that she may not be able to participate in these activities.

I may give her sign out privledges for that event and tell her she is not allowed to use the sign out privledges for anything BUT that. ;)

...how in the world is making sure your child is not running around alone on a cruise ship or anywhere else prove that they will not grow up to be a responsible adult:confused:

It starts with teaching emergency planning - here's what happens if we don't meet where we are supposed to mee' date=' what happens if there really is an alarm, when to use the cell phone, ect.

That's just a few examples there's a lot more[/quote']

That answered my question:confused::p

Maybe I misunderstood your question. I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic - your question has a double negative and I might have misunderstood. And we're both editiing at the same time and your most recent edit still confuses me.

Thanks, I was wondering about that this morning. I have the kid capers here and I don't see anywhere that says the kids will not be permitted to do these activities if they don't have sign in/out privledges. In the past, the camp staff took them to the other actitivies but I see some events say "unsupervised".

So I'll talk to the camp staff on Sunday. And I'll prepare my oldest in advanced that she may not be able to participate in these activities.

I may give her sign out privledges for that event and tell her she is not allowed to use the sign out privledges for anything BUT that. ;)

That's what we did the first cruise my son was 9 - once you give them the sign in/out privilege, you actually don't sign them in and out at all - they do it themselves - but we told him he could only sign out when we showed up to pick up his sister, and he had no problem with that rule. The only time he signed himself out otherwise was to participate in the scavenger hunts. Now that he's been on 3 cruises since turning 9, we allow him to sign out if he doesn't care for the activities, or doesn't want to go to the show, but he knows he must go back to the cabin. We do allow him to stop by the Lido deck for a snack first, but then he returns to the cabin to wait for us.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic - your question has a double negative and I might have misunderstood. And we're both editiing at the same time and your most recent edit still confuses me.

My original post was not directed at anyone particular......but some on here are saying in so many words that you are basically over protecting your child if you don't let them roam the ship by themselves and if you don't give them freedom to do so they will not become self sufficient adults...... which is ludicrous IMO......

Sorry for the confusion........

Some of you people read way too much into a simple statement. She has life skills. So do the many perverts out there. It would be way too simple for someone to follow her or your child down an empty hallway and god knows what to them.

And for those of you who seem to think you are a better parent to my child that you do not even know, here's some background info. My daughters survived an attempted abduction from a known pedophile. They were 11 and 5 at the time. My older daughter was able to give a complete description and a partial tag number. He was arrested the next day. This event changed my children's life and my own FOREVER! Does this make me a little paranoid or just street smart? This is a rhetorical question. I will err on the side of caution, Thank you very much!

You are right on with this.

No one understands better than when it has happened to you. I worked a lifetime with Sexual Offenders and other deviants. I have heard them brag about how easy it is to lure their prey in and take advantage of opportunities with their unsuspecting victims. After working with many of these people I was no longer able to allow my own children to roam free and easy and they seem to be well adjusted even with overprotective parents. Lives can change in just a few horrible moments, but it doesn't have to if you are doing your job as a good parent.

Puleeeeze.... the child is 10 years old... do you hoenstly believe she could find her way back to the stateroom at that age ? She did the right thing and sat crying followed by possibly a staff member or other passenger offering assistance and taking her to the pursers desk.

I have a 10 yr old son and within hours of boarding the ship he knows where his cabin is. He has cruised 5 times and we always make sure he knows port side aft (99% of the time that is where we book our cabin). He is more than capable to get around on his own. We cruised the Legend in March and left him sleeping in cabin after dinner and went to show. He woke up got dressed and looked for us in the theater. When he didn't find us he stopped someone dressed in uniform and asked for help. They took him to pursors desk, paged us (we didn't hear it in theater) and then checked him into Kids club. He was the only kid there at 10:30 so the counselor and him went looking for us. We got our message on our cabin phone that he was in kids club and I went and got him. He was upset and it turns out he was running a temp of 103 when I got him back to cabin. I got a request the last day of the cruise to meet the head pursor about the situation and told him we were very pleased about how it was handled. We now know to leave our son a note where we will be specifically.

We gave our 8,8,10 year olds sign in and out privileges once the staff explained to us what it entailed. They were fine. They navigated the ship better than we could and knew where everything was on the first day.

And we didn't allow them to roam the ship freely: they had designated times to sign themselves in and out and we told them we were going to spot check them to be sure they were at camp carnival during those times.

Everything went well and we can't wait for the next cruise!

We gave our 8,8,10 year olds sign in and out privileges once the staff explained to us what it entailed.

You couldn't have given your 8 year olds sign in/out privledges. It doesn't exist for the 6-8 year olds on Carnival, only the 9-11 (and above) ;)

Archived