Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

[quote name='Traveler353'][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]And their laughing even louder at this thread. They have accomplished just what wanted to do. Some people are so gullible.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The OP is probably the jokester that made up this joke: Look up at the celling, someone has written gullible :p

[quote name='Rowan555']I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just honestly curious. My son is 9 and on our last cruise he decided he didn't want to go to the show with camp, so the counselors made him sign out when they left for the lounge. He got some ice cream on the lido deck then went back to the room to play his Nintendo DS and wait for me to return.

I think it's important, particularly when your kids are old enough to sign out of Camp Carnival on their own, that they are very familiar with the ship and how to get back to their cabin should anything happen. This might be a good thread to help alert people to the importance of helping kids get familiar with the layout of the ship and how to return to their room from Camp Carnival and other spots on the ship. This way they won't get upset or scared if they need to sign out for some reason, or need to find their room without their parents.[/quote]

I haven't read any post past this post, but, I hope you realize some people are going to tear you apart:(. I agree with you 100%:). Our 10 yo grandson was with us on the Legend and he would sign out and go to his room or where we were on the Lido Deck. Heck, he knew the ships layout better than we did. He was told by his father and us that if he checked out, he had to go straight to his room or straight to the Lido Deck pool. No problems. I don't think some people give 10 year olds credit for their smarts.

I'm sorry but once a child is entrusted into the care of someone (Camp Carnival), he/she should not be allowed to leave unless with one's parent or older sibling. I'm 62 and I still get lost on my ships. Aside from that . . . just as anywhere . . . there are some people that are not the "type" you would want your child to go with. As in "oh Honey, what's wrong? You just come with me." As a criminal defense attorney . . . there are too many people out there that would take advantage of child . . . especially at ten at night after a few drinks too many.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your child . . . I can't think of anything more scary than to go pick up your child only to be told he wasn't there . . . :eek:

[quote name='ladycaveat']I'm sorry but once a child is entrusted into the care of someone (Camp Carnival), he/she should not be allowed to leave unless with one's parent or older sibling. [COLOR=red]Well, in this case, the rules and policy of Camp Carnival is that this child can sign out on his own.... The parents have the option of removing that from the deal when they sign the kid up for the program......these parents didn't and the kid signed out. Personally, the child should have been prepped by the parents on what to do if you become "lost" and to make sure the kid knows how to get to the room, the Purser's Desk, should have checked up once in a while if they were concerned, etc. Most kids his age have the ship plan down pat before the parents do..... [/COLOR] I'm 62 and I still get lost on my ships. Aside from that . . . just as anywhere . . . there are some people that are not the "type" you would want your child to go with. As in "oh Honey, what's wrong? You just come with me." As a criminal defense attorney . . . there are too many people out there that would take advantage of child . . . especially at ten at night after a few drinks too many. [COLOR=red]As a criminal defense atty, you know that predators can be anywhere; while the child is playing outside, walking to school, walking to a friends house, on a playground...anywhere. They are LEAST likely to be lurking around a closed environment like a cruise ship where there isn't anywhere to go except over the side.[/COLOR]

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your child . . . I can't think of anything more scary than to go pick up your child only to be told he wasn't there . . . :eek:[/quote]

Not only can these "cruise ship pedophiles" not go anywhere, the cruise ship has the passenger manifest with everyone's information: so they would be on a cruise where there is proof they were at the crime scene with a limited list of suspects.

Again, not saying it couldn't happen-- just reminding everyone that if the idea of your child signing themselves in and out on a cruise ship makes you pause, then remind yourself to stay that attentive in real life, because it is in your neighborhood where your child is most likely to be harmed. (even the poster relating the stranger/pedophile/near miss was at home and not on a cruise ship when that happened.)

This whole unfotunate event, if it actually happened, could have been prevented had the parents checked no, the child may not check themselves out of Camp Carnival. Since the parents checked yes, the child may check themselves out, then Carnival is not to blame. This is an emotional subject and good people are being flammed for their honest opinions, and that's not right. I certainly feel for the child that was scared, however, the responsibility lies with the parents, IMHO. They should never have checked yes on the questionaire when it came to asking if the child could check themselves out. I agree with everyone about all the pervs and what could have happened and I thank God none of that crap did happen.

[quote name='Socref124']This whole unfotunate event, if it actually happened, could have been prevented had the parents checked no, the child may not check themselves out of Camp Carnival. Since the parents checked yes, the child may check themselves out, then Carnival is not to blame. This is an emotional subject and good people are being flammed for their honest opinions, and that's not right. I certainly feel for the child that was scared, however, the responsibility lies with the parents, IMHO. They should never have checked yes on the questionaire when it came to asking if the child could check themselves out. I agree with everyone about all the pervs and what could have happened and I thank God none of that crap did happen.[/quote]

First you say "If" it actually happened, then you are certain that the parents checked yes. ;)

I don't care if the OP exists or not. (leaning toward not) This led to a pretty good conversation and gave out alot of good info. Although I am firmly planted in the "overprotective" group - I learned from Rowan that I may have to rethink the sign out policy if my daughter is prevented from joining in camp activities.

So I don't look at this thread as alot of flaming (have seen worse around here...lol). I think everyone has provided some good info.

[quote name='Name Of The Game']Michelle, have a great cruise on the Triumph! We loved it! Write a "nice" review when you come back. ;)[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll be nice. :D I am just happy to get on a ship. So as long as it doesn't sink, it will be a good cruise. :D

I too noticed that ':D' at the end of the OP's post -- I think all of us that believed their post was duped. And as far as learning anything on this thread, I did learn that there are way too many scared parents that bring their kids on a cruise..if I was that scared, I'd rather stay home. IMO

I agree with Michele, this thread has brought up alot of good points and will help more parents be better prepared and more informed when they take their children on a cruise. I think this has accomplished a lot of good
Pat

[quote name='crusinmama06']First you say "If" it actually happened, then you are certain that the parents checked yes. ;)

I don't care if the OP exists or not. (leaning toward not) This led to a pretty good conversation and gave out alot of good info. Although I am firmly planted in the "overprotective" group - I learned from Rowan that I may have to rethink the sign out policy if my daughter is prevented from joining in camp activities.

So I don't look at this thread as alot of flaming (have seen worse around here...lol). I think everyone has provided some good info.[/quote]

I am in agreement with you. I said if because some of the things the OP stated didn't add up, as far as I was concerned. Having just went on the Legend with our Grandson, we were advised at orientation that if we signed no, the child would not be allowed to leave without a parent and that if we were late, the sitting fee was $6 per hour. We were advised if we didn't allow our 10 yo Grandson to check himself out, he would not be allowed to leave without us and the sitting charge would apply should we be late. Now I know what happens when you assume, however, if Camp Carnival said "she needed to sign out", one must assume that the parents allowed this to happen by checking yes at orientation. And yes, we were told Jimmy would not be able to join in on the scavenger hunt if we checked no. It was a tough choice for us, but we decided to check yes with provisions. Jimmy could only go to his room or to us at the pool deck. We also gave him a walkie taklkie and he had to let us know when he left CC and when he got to his room. He was also told not to open the door for anyone. I also agree that I have seen worse flamming but some of the stuff here was uncalled for, imho. Also, nothing wrong with being overprotective, however, smothering a child like some do is to much, imho.
BTW, I have always appreciated your insight on other threads. We can all learn from others situations and perspectives. Thanks for your insight here.:)

[quote name='Nezmo']I have a very smart 10-year old. I'm not sure he would go back to the room if he was very upset or scared. Maybe he would. But I don't think it's a given.

[/QUOTE]

I agree!!!!!

OP, I am SO sorry that happened and thanks for posting. This is a GREAT opportunity for people who put their kids in Camp Carnival to sit down with them and give them the 'What-if" scenerio conversation. Make sure if they are out of CC and not with YOU that they have a specific place to be so you can find them in case something like this happens.

I know things like this happening are very rare, but I tell you this crap scares the bejeezus outta me.... I would be pretty pissed.

Ok...I now see there are 16 pages :rolleyes: Was this a troll??????
I should know better....

[quote name='crusinmama06']For those kids that have "full run of the ship"....what happens if someone grabs them into one of the cabins? :eek: These are floating cities. I just can't be that trusting. :([/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='Socref124']And yes, we were told Jimmy would not be able to join in on the scavenger hunt if we checked no. :)[/quote]

That's too bad. :( Well, I guess I have a decision to make. And fast. ;)

Thanks! I'll be back with a full report. :D

[quote name='LemurCat']And futhermore, why didn't this family have some sort of emergancy plan in place? We certainly didn't cruise when I was a kid, but my folks drilled into my siblings and I that we, as a family need to HAVE A PLAN IF YOU GET SEPERATED. I dunno, sounds like common sense to me. I mean, it's usually easy enough -- even for a scared and confused 10 year old -- to get to the atrium and go to the information desk.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LemurCat']And the child being mature enough and having enough sense to act responsibily in case of emergancy or even a situation that is out of the ordinary.[/QUOTE]

Lemur, I usually agree with everything you post but this time I disagree. You don't know how a child (or any one of any age) is going to react when thrust into a stressful or scary situation, no matter how many times it was 'rehearsed'

I think sometimes we expect to much from our children....

[quote name='quickrate']If your daughter is 16, there are a lot more dangers in the "real world" than on a cruise ship. Pat[/QUOTE]

:eek: why do people keep saying this??????
The cruise ship IS the real world FTLOG! Anything that can happend to your child on land can also happen on the ship.
Personally for people like me who live in a pretty low populated area, chances of coming in contact with a pervert are greater on a ship holding 25,000 passengers plus crew members in a confined space.

[quote name='halos']Lemur, I usually agree with everything you post but this time I disagree. You don't know how a child (or any one of any age) is going to react when thrust into a stressful or scary situation, no matter how many times it was 'rehearsed'

I think sometimes we expect to much from our children....[/quote]

And I disagree. Rehearsal and planning give a kid something to fall back on in an emergancy so that even if they're scared they at least have something they can do about the situation. It's the same reason why schools run fire drills so often. I think a 10 year old is old enough to comprehend and execute a plan such as "if we get seperated, go to this designated place and tell an official type person 'I can't find my parents'." The point of rehersal is that a person - be they a kid or an adult - doesn't get overwhelmed in the situation.

[quote name='LemurCat']And I disagree. Rehearsal and planning give a kid something to fall back on in an emergancy so that even if they're scared they at least have something they can do about the situation. It's the same reason why schools run fire drills so often. I think a 10 year old is old enough to comprehend and execute a plan such as "if we get seperated, go to this designated place and tell an official type person 'I can't find my parents'." The point of rehersal is that a person - be they a kid or an adult - doesn't get overwhelmed in the situation.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that you shouldn't rehearse the child by any means. (In fact, my first post on this thread recommends it) I am just stating a fact. You do NOT know how [I]anyone[/I] will react in a situation. You can [I]lessen the chances [/I]of a meltdown, but no one knows until they experience something howthey'll react to it...and you certainly can't bank on a child of 10 reacting how you 'plan' for them to react.

:eek: why do people keep saying this??????

The cruise ship IS the real world FTLOG! Anything that can happend to your child on land can also happen on the ship.

Personally for people like me who live in a pretty low populated area, chances of coming in contact with a pervert are greater on a ship holding 25,000 passengers plus crew members in a confined space.

I really doubt this statement holds much validity. If you were to do a statistical analysis of a 'typical' neighbourhood in a large city with the same number of people as on a cruise ship broken down by age, income, sexual deviancy, and connection with the legal system my educated guess would be the people on dry land would be of a much larger percentage. Then when you take into account the fact the the high percentage of reoffenders who couldn't even afford a cruise, let alone get a passport to even be able to travel and the ones who could, but wouldn't risk being caught in a confined space like a ship let alone the fact that their crimes are usually committed in a safe zone that they are familiar with that they wouldn't have access to on a ship.

So, no, a cruise ship really isn't 'like' the real world, it is a pared down more idylic version.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't rehearse the child by any means. (In fact, my first post on this thread recommends it) I am just stating a fact. You do NOT know how anyone will react in a situation. You can lessen the chances of a meltdown, but no one knows until they experience something howthey'll react to it...and you certainly can't bank on a child of 10 reacting how you 'plan' for them to react.[/quote]

I totally agree Halos!

I really doubt this statement holds much validity. If you were to do a statistical analysis of a 'typical' neighbourhood in a large city with the same number of people as on a cruise ship broken down by age, income, sexual deviancy, and connection with the legal system my educated guess would be the people on dry land would be of a much larger percentage. Then when you take into account the fact the the high percentage of reoffenders who couldn't even afford a cruise, let alone get a passport to even be able to travel and the ones who could, but wouldn't risk being caught in a confined space like a ship let alone the fact that their crimes are usually committed in a safe zone that they are familiar with that they wouldn't have access to on a ship.

So, no, a cruise ship really isn't 'like' the real world, it is a pared down more idylic version.

You are kidding right:confused:

Growing up in Brooklyn, NY, my mother had one hard and steadfast rule. "Never anywhere alone." Believe me, I had plenty of freedom, I was taking the subways and buses at 13 and 14 years old. But ALWAYS observed the "Never anywhere alone" rule. If 3 girlfriends were hanging out at night, two would walk the other one home (the last two lived next to each other). I have enforced the "never anywhere alone" rule with all of my kids (21, 18 and 12) and will enforce it on our cruise in November.

Archived