AoS Refused Entry to St Lucia And Antigua

Although the term "swine flu" wasn't mentioned to you on board the term's H1N1 and swine flu were mentioned by RCL when communicating with Antigua before the ship was turned away. As i mentioned above, the people in Antigua were told by the AOS that H1N1 tests (which we have since found out were carried out in Trinidad) were being done but hadn't come back from the lab at the time. With this info Antigua made the decision. Like my good friend in Barbados who is always quick on issues regarding other island's issues, says the decision was an extremely painfull one which caused many here on the island big financial costs. I think much of the responsibility on this mess sits with RCL for being slow on the topic of testing. Why the heck don't they have a proper testing lab on the boat? They should be able to tell if someone has H1N1 within an hour!

Then people should stop talking about the frigile medical system in the Caribbean islands. If you folks can get done in one hour what takes us a week here in the continental U.S. you are far ahead of us in terms of medical care.

For your information, one can get a test completed in about 1 hr. to determine if one is dealing with influenza type A or not. It takes much more time for H1N1 subtyping. And that is not something that any ship's medical facility would be able to carry out.

Rosby316 - no the $50 just showed up on about Wednesday. It had no label, something like IND CREDIT VOUCHER. It could very well be for something else our group had going on...we just 'assumed' port charges...but one would think port charges would not be an even amount. ??

Funny, both our waiter and steward made remarks about how St. Thomas was better (when neither had been that chatty before). I got the vibe it was something they are told to talk it up...so to speak. We took it with a grain of salt.

The drinks were insulting, yes.

In my opinion - St. Thomas (even when you throw in a 'great' trip to St. John) is NO match for either St.Lucia OR Antigua. And STT is a port stop on just about ANY Caribbean route these days. We agree, flying to SJU (and the obligatory hotel stay) was abit wasted for us.

I won't wade in on who had what proof when. I am one who thinks the whole thing is a scam, and there is no agreed upon test and distinction of strains. However, it would be interesting to know the full details. For instance, how do alternate ports get selected? How much does RCCL Miami negotiate and work with the islands to reroute ships due to weather and other missed days. How much does fuel and travel times get weighed into the mix of picking a St. Thomas versus something else. Was Antigua given a shorter time window to say yes/no - based on sailing time from Barbados to St. Thomas. RCCL will have you think they have 'no control' over these things. While I will admit I believe an island has final say - the whole negotiating a planB has to be a very interesting process to be a part of - and is lead by the cruiselines.

I was also just off the AoS and we did get a $50 credit. I wasnt sure what it was for when I quickly scanned my charges, but will look at it a little closer today after WORK!!!!!!

We were a little dissapointed that we didnt get to go to St Lucia and Antigua, but I was still on vacation and not here at my desk, so it didnt get my undies in a bunch.

People are totally overreacting to the swine flu or flu symptoms period and I work in healthcare. That's all I have to say about that right now...

I feel very bad for these AOS cruisers. That would be very frustrating. I would not be a happy sailor either.

:(

I agree about the over-reaction. I still have some worry in the back of my head how this is going to affect cruises this upcoming fall and winter. I have my post-Thanksgiving cruise already planned. I just hope that people and ports don't over-react at that time.

News just coming out in Antigua this hour...Up until this week decisions on blocking a ship rested entirely with the Ministry of Health. From now on the decision goes before several ministries including the Ministry of Tourism and the Prime Minister. Neither the Prime Minister or the Minister of Tourism knew about the ship being turned away. The process will be different in the future and the implication from the ministry of tourism is that even if an H1N1 case is confirmed the ship will probably be permitted to enter as long as the ship has taken the usual steps.

I just wish that RCL would have stepped up their game and taken responsibility for what had taken place rather than blame it on other people. Oh another thing... before you board you have to fill out a waiver saying that you have no illnesses... why wasnt this taken care of at that time? They think they made it better by giving the guests free bloddy mary's for one WHOLE hour... to me that was a slap in the face!

I'm a little confused now.

I do not blame you at all for being upset. But I was under the impression that the islands blocked the AOS from entering.

Are you saying this was the ship's fault, or RCI's fault? :confused:

Agreed!

Speaking as an island resident

please know that the decision to bar entry to a 'floating gold mine' as we see it...is not taken lightly!

Cruise ship visitors bring ashore and spend many needed U.S.Dollars

and we need your green stuff -so please know that we miss you too!

Well, nice to know why it is that you miss us. At least you are honest about it.

News just coming out in Antigua this hour...Up until this week decisions on blocking a ship rested entirely with the Ministry of Health. From now on the decision goes before several ministries including the Ministry of Tourism and the Prime Minister. Neither the Prime Minister or the Minister of Tourism knew about the ship being turned away. The process will be different in the future and the implication from the ministry of tourism is that even if an H1N1 case is confirmed the ship will probably be permitted to enter as long as the ship has taken the usual steps.

Wow, glad to hear this!

Hmmmmmm, sounds like the Ministry of Health took a little heat for this decision! ;)

Hmmmmmm' date=' sounds like the Ministry of Health took a little heat for this decision![/color'] ;)

Actually, it will take the heat OFF the Ministy of Health WHEN the jitterbug shows up on the island off one of the ships.

Wife and I were on the AOS June 7-14. The trip was planed for 2 years. After spend $ 600 for Air Fare, $500 for SJ Hotel and $ 2900.00 RCI and anothe $500 on the boat just to go to islands that we had not visited before. Next time we will take a fly there instead

Aherman,

So are you saying they did NOT let you guys stop at Antigua and St. Lucia last week? If that was the case, where DID they let you go? We leave on July 5 and I had really thought these ports would be back open by now.:rolleyes: Thanks for the help!

The AOS did not stop at these 2 islands due to the ports refusal to let it in because test results on some crew members had not come back regarding the swine flu but there was no evidence of it on last weeks voyage on the Aruba route so it should be resuming its itinerary again. I do feel bad for those that missed these islands. I know with all the planning it takes and in a second its wiped away. One person on our rollcall was on that voyage and said they did not get any credits for missing those 2 ports which surprises me that RCI did not even return the port fees which I think they have to. It would be only right to had given those folks something for missing 2 big islands they had planned for even though the ship could be at sea for 7 days instead. At least RCI should show they care.

The AOS did not stop at these 2 islands due to the ports refusal to let it in because test results on some crew members had not come back regarding the swine flu but there was no evidence of it on last weeks voyage on the Aruba route so it should be resuming its itinerary again. I do feel bad for those that missed these islands. I know with all the planning it takes and in a second its wiped away. One person on our rollcall was on that voyage and said they did not get any credits for missing those 2 ports which surprises me that RCI did not even return the port fees which I think they have to. It would be only right to had given those folks something for missing 2 big islands they had planned for even though the ship could be at sea for 7 days instead. At least RCI should show they care.

I was on this cruise 6/7 thru the 14th and also on for the 14th thru 21st.

First of all, it was more than 2 crew members that were sick. There were several passengers that were also sick. I witnessed a young teenage girl vomit all over the Windjammer floor at breakfast time. Our assitant waiter was ill for 3 days ( starting thursday thru sat.....and this was after missing St Lucia).

We did get to go to St. Thomas instead of Antigua. When we arrived in St. Thomas, I watched a small boat pull along side of the Adventure prior to anyone else being able to get off the ship, and take several passengers/crew off onto that small boat. I can not tell you if they were sick passengers/crew or not. I have never seen this done before on any of my 25 RC cruises.

Now with being compensated for missing ports. I didn't get anything and wasn't looking for anything! I have read from CC that some were offered free bloody marys for a short time, never heard about this on the ship, some on posts stated they received a 50.00 OBC.......never heard anyone on that ship getting this either!

I have cruised on several RC ships and missed ports due to weather, etc. and did not get credit for port taxes for missing the ports!

When I questioned RC a while back ( on a ship a port was missed), about receiving the port charges refunded, I was told the port charges change all the time, sometimes they increase from when you booked your cruise and the pax never pays the increase, therefore no refund on a missed port! I accepted that answer then and never asked again!

On both weeks there were sanatizers available, lots of them were EMPTY, lots of pax just walked by as if it was an ornament on the ship that said..Do Not Touch!

I enjoyed both weeks on the Ship, was disappointed with missing Antigua, only because in May (while cruising on the Explorer and visiting Antigua), all the stores were closed due to a Memorial Day. Antigua celebrates Memorial day each 1st Monday of the month and all stores are Closed!

I can enjoy a Cruise to Nowhere and also understand those who don't get to cruise often or look forward to visiting certain islands could easily get upset.

I have cruised on many cruises where pax/crew were ill, and we still docked at all ports! IMO if this is going to be a new policy with ill pax's onboard a ship being refused to dock at ports, passenger's/crew will not seek medical attention for their illness and could create a more dangerous situation!

Happy Cruising!

How awful for those passengers, but I guess that is the risk you take with any vacation.

Hopefully this Swine Flu drama will be finished soon and we will all have one less thing to worry about when cruising!

It doesn't seem to be going away too fast. Here is the latest ship

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31530856/ns/travel-news/

When I questioned RC a while back ( on a ship a port was missed), about receiving the port charges refunded, I was told the port charges change all the time, sometimes they increase from when you booked your cruise and the pax never pays the increase, therefore no refund on a missed port! I accepted that answer then and never asked again!

That just doesn't make sense. If you don't go to a port, it doesn't matter if the port charges increased since you booked. If you don't go there, RCI should refund your port charges.

I don't know for sure but I would think that if a ship doesn't dock in a port, the cruise line doesn't have to pay the port charge. Why should they get to keep that money which is rightfully yours? :mad:

All the cruiselines I have been on refund the port charge and generally give an extra onboard credit for missing the port. I was told it was required to refund the port charges and it isn't legal for them to keep it. Even when you cancel a cruise, you get your port taxes back. Having a few drinks does not make up for missing the port even if it wasn't their fault - its just good customer relations. Carnival allows you to cancel the cruise if you ask within 24 hours of their change or nonstop to a port.

Archived