AoS Refused Entry to St Lucia And Antigua

Oh Thank Goodness!!!

We leave on AOS the 21st of June and I would have been highly upset if we missed ports because of something like this.

I don't know how we would have explained it to our kids. They're really looking forward to all the ports.

Thanks for the update StressRelief...your name fits you well! :)

Oh Thank Goodness!!!

We leave on AOS the 21st of June and I would have been highly upset if we missed ports because of something like this.

I don't know how we would have explained it to our kids. They're really looking forward to all the ports.

Thanks for the update StressRelief...your name fits you well! :)

Forgive me, but I don't see that this resolves anything. It's VERY likely (a statistical near CERTAINTY in fact) that out of 3000 passengers and 2000 crew that at least several people will be exhibiting cold/flu like symptoms at any given time. So, it sounds like these islands' health officials will be canceling many port calls in the future based simply on people presenting similar symptoms. Remember, confirmation testing of H1N1 requires many days (10?)

Forgive me, but I don't see that this resolves anything. It's VERY likely (a statistical near CERTAINTY in fact) that out of 3000 passengers and 2000 crew that at least several people will be exhibiting cold/flu like symptoms at any given time. So, it sounds like these islands' health officials will be canceling many port calls in the future based simply on people presenting similar symptoms. Remember, confirmation testing of H1N1 requires many days (10?)

It doesn't resolve anything. Just confirms what many of us having been saying all day: people are overreacting. That's not going to change. The only thing we can do at this point is prepare ourselves for the possibility our travels may be disrupted, no matter how irrational the reactions may be.

As for me, I'll be packing my hand sanitizer and filling out my health questionnaire and crossing my fingers that we make all four of our ports. But if not, I WILL find a way to enjoy myself. I have no doubt about that.

Suspected cases are not Swine Flu, so the ports were missed for nothing. These ports rely heavily on Cruise ship traffic for their income, if they turn ships away because someone is displaying flu like symptoms, then the cruise lines need to seek out alternatives and take these ports of their itineries for good

I just read a report on USA Today and it turns out that the crew members and passenger in question didn't have swine flu at all. What a shame that they had to miss out on some of their ports-of-call.

Mickyliz:D

I wonder what the figure is for the amount of lost revenue to the local economy (tour operators, restaurants, cabs, busses, snorkel cruises, parasail/jet ski/segway rentals, shops, etc...) each cancelled port call represents? Anyone have any idea or read of a figure what monetary impact an average sized cruise ship represents? I imagine the person that cancelled these port calls is going to hear about it... especially in light of all three negative test results for H1N1.

The various health officials have a responsibility to the citizens of their countries. Since I did not have the information they presumably had, I can't second guess their decisions. That being said, Colin James, chief executive officer for the Antigua and Barbuda Tourism Authority who said the cases had been confirmed as H1N1, was clearly wrong. He certainly didn't help the tourism in Antigua and Barbuda with his inaccurate statements. Get your facts straight or say you don't know.

The various health officials have a responsibility to the citizens of their countries. Since I did not have the information they presumably had, I can't second guess their decisions. That being said, Colin James, chief executive officer for the Antigua and Barbuda Tourism Authority who said the cases had been confirmed as H1N1, was clearly wrong. He certainly didn't help the tourism in Antigua and Barbuda with his inaccurate statements. Get your facts straight or say you don't know.

This is very true. All he had to say is "we aren't sure and at this time just to be cautious we are going to deny entry to the port". Now if he comes out and says crime in Antigua and Barbuda is way down you kind of take it with a grain of salt. Especially in a position like his know your facts before you speak or make any rash judgements.

As I mentioned earlier, some media frenzy here. Yes, the WHO declared a pandemic this morning, but read these comments from the story:

"Phase 6, if we call a phase 6, doesn't mean anything concerning severity. It is concerning geographic spread...Panemic means global, but it doesn't have any connotation of severity or mildness," said WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl. "In fact, what we are seeing with this virus so far is overwhelmingly to date mild disease. So we would think that this event is really a moderate event for the time being, because the numbers are high but the disease is overwhelmingly mild."

So many other comments on this thread are on target, particularly the nurse and those who have said the ports in question are overreacting. It's a shame the passengers are missing these beautiful ports.

Phase 6 is supposed to trigger ramped up vaccine production.

I wonder what the figure is for the amount of lost revenue to the local economy (tour operators, restaurants, cabs, busses, snorkel cruises, parasail/jet ski/segway rentals, shops, etc...) each cancelled port call represents? Anyone have any idea or read of a figure what monetary impact an average sized cruise ship represents? I imagine the person that cancelled these port calls is going to hear about it... especially in light of all three negative test results for H1N1.

I can't give you numbers but the islands depend heavily on tourism so yes, this has a major impact on them. I was on the 4/26 cruise the day the news was breaking about the Swine Flu being a concern and everyone onboard was talking about it as were the locals on the islands as it was on the news constantly. The islands have already felt the impact of a slow economy and tourists not spending/traveling as much as they used to. When we were in Antigua in May, several locals were saying how we were the last cruise ship for a couple of weeks because ships do not come weekly in the summer months and how much they miss that revenue.

The 3 tests could have come back positive also, like I said before it's a very difficult call to make and I wouldn't want that responsibility but it comes down to a judgement call and if they were wrong and let the ship come into port and the tests were positive, then someone would have to take the blame for that too if local residents became ill. People just do not know enough about this particular virus yet unfortunately and it's going to be a wait and see scenario.

I saw Adventure got denied port stops because of 3 cases of swine flu aboard. I'm wondering if the passengers will get anything for the trouble.

I hate to say it but they will probably get nothing from RCI. I was aboard the Mariner 4/26/09 Mexico sailing and we missed 2 out of 3 ports of call because of the swine flu scare. We had NO possible cases onboard and there were NO cases in either of those ports. And Richard Fain (Chairman and CEO of RCI) even said on CNBC's Jim Cramer show, "RCI overreacted". I received a $75 OBC and a cold, windy, rainy, foggy cruise to San Francisco instead.

I feel bad for all those on board the AOS because not getting the cruise you saved so long to pay for really stinks!!

Remember, confirmation testing of H1N1 requires many days (10?)

After RCI let us off in Cabo on our cruise, I came home with flu symptoms and it took 8 days for the test results to come back.

I hate to say it but they will probably get nothing from RCI. I was aboard the Mariner 4/26/09 Mexico sailing and we missed 2 out of 3 ports of call because of the swine flu scare. We had NO possible cases onboard and there were NO cases in either of those ports. And Richard Fain (Chairman and CEO of RCI) even said on CNBC's Jim Cramer show' date=' "RCI overreacted". I received a $75 OBC and a cold, windy, rainy, foggy cruise to San Francisco instead.[/color']

The difference here is that in your case, the choice to skip was RCI's. In this case, the ship was blocked from porting by the local authorities.

In your case, more should have been offered. In this case, RCI owes nothing.

JMO.

The difference here is that in your case, the choice to skip was RCI's. In this case, the ship was blocked from porting by the local authorities.

In your case, more should have been offered. In this case, RCI owes nothing.

JMO.

My understanding is that they did get St Thomas in place of St Lucia (I think today was supposed to be St Lucia). So they only missed out on one port... but that's still one port too many!

The 3 tests could have come back positive also, like I said before it's a very difficult call to make and I wouldn't want that responsibility but it comes down to a judgement call and if they were wrong and let the ship come into port and the tests were positive, then someone would have to take the blame for that too if local residents became ill.

Take the blame for "what" exactly"? For "possibly" being infected with a VERY mild case of influenza? :confused:

Take the blame for "what" exactly"? For "possibly" being infected with a VERY mild case of influenza? :confused:

Well take the blame for making the decision whether to let the ship into port or not if people should get sick. I know many people do consider it to be a very mild flu but it depends on where you are also. Some people have died from it and some people have been very sick from it so it seems mild in most cases but not in all and some areas are seeing many cases of it and others are not.

You can't really blame someone for getting sick, but there are people in the ports and in the cruiselines that have to make the decisions based on what they think is best for both the residents of an island and the passengers on the ship. If the goverment officials allow a ship to come into port and local residents get sick you know the officials will be blamed for it. If they turn a ship away like they did in this case, the tests were negative, they are most likely being blamed for the loss of revenue they missed out on. RCCL and other cruiselines made the decision last month to cease all cruises to Mexico which was a costly decision for both cruiselines and Mexico but they made what they felt was the right decision at the time. Well now it seems the islands are being careful of who they let in also and if some people appear to have the flu on a ship, they may turn it away like they did in this case.

Well now it seems the islands are being careful of who they let in also and if some people appear to have the flu on a ship, they may turn it away like they did in this case.

WHY?

The H1N1 has been verified to be a mild influenza strain, similar to a common cold. Are you suggesting the world quarantine itself against people with a cold? :confused:

WHY?

The H1N1 has been verified to be a mild influenza strain, similar to a common cold. Are you suggesting the world quarantine itself against people with a cold? :confused:

That's kind of a dangerous statement to make. Can you show me a verified statement by scientists (not politicians or tourist heads) that says it is similar to a common cold? Just because the numbers of deaths aren't 'juicy' enough for some doesn't make it a mild strain of influenza. There have been deaths and as I stated before, the CDC or WHO said that 1/2 of the deaths are of young, healthy people - certainly not the case with mild flu or colds - those deaths are almost always children, elderly and health compromised people. It would be wise, I think, to let them examine this strain more and really see what they are dealing with - its certainly too early to make statements about that aspect of it, I think. As well, it isn't spreading regionally, which is odd as well. Also, this has reacted much differently in different areas - Mexico had it much worse than here. At the same time, NYC has it much worse than say, Kentucky. There is no verification of the strength of this strain is - it seems to be different in different areas. It is interesting to folks that like science, though.

My parent's are on this cruise. My Father said that RCCL was VERY Careful with the verbage they have used reguarding the "outbreak". No compensation was issued. I was told that there were a ton of people that are having trouble getting their $$$ back for excursions that had already be paid...Dad said he will think twice before renting a car next time he cruises, due to not canceling before the 24 hour window. Swine flu or not, a day at sea is a day better at the office...:rolleyes:

We were on the Navigator 2 weeks ago and needed to sign a medical declaration that we had no symptons that could have been flu like. Anyone with any symptons neede to see a Dr before thee staff would let tem check-in.

What is really maddening about this hype on the 'swine flu', is that people that have any type of flu symptoms are running into the ER. I know from experience. So far not one patient that has shown up for this type of issue has tested positive for the swine flu where I'm at. There are so many different types/strains of flu and its been around for thousands of years and yes patients die from it every year. I believe the CDC quotes about 36,000 patients die each year from flu complications in the US. This is NOT anything new. I just don't get the overreaction to this. Its getting very old.

:confused:

What is really maddening about this hype on the 'swine flu', is that people that have any type of flu symptoms are running into the ER. I know from experience. So far not one patient that has shown up for this type of issue has tested positive for the swine flu where I'm at. There are so many different types/strains of flu and its been around for thousands of years and yes patients die from it every year. I believe the CDC quotes about 36,000 patients die each year from flu complications in the US. This is NOT anything new. I just don't get the overreaction to this. Its getting very old.

:confused:

Not to sound like a broken record, but this IS something new. This is a strain not seen before, that behaves differently in different areas, that doesn't respond to some of our meds (and could stop responding to the ones we have if it mutates) and has spread in a random pattern. Just because where you are doesn't have any confirmed cases doesn't mean it isn't serious or a pandemic. Where I am we have many, many cases and also some deaths. And, as I have stated - yes, people die from the regular strains of flu every year - those people are normally children, elderly or health compromised. 1/2 of the people that have died of H1N1 have been young, healthy people. I think people need to stop thinking regionally about this strain - look at it as a whole, not 'well, I don't know anyone with it, they say in the U.S. it isn't as severe, people aren't dying in mass numbers' or whatever. I hope my ports don't get closed to it on my cruise but I of course would like the people on the islands to be protected from it - the medical facilities and healthcare would be taken to task if they had a large outbreak like we're seeing here in Ny/Nj.

Archived