AoS Refused Entry to St Lucia And Antigua

Since I live on a Caribbean island I have to respond to this post. Unlike the mainland US, some Caribbean islands are not equipped medically to deal with epidemics. Case in point our son's private school had a whooping cough breakout a year and a half ago. The doctors on the island did not know how to keep it from spreading and many students were mis-diagnosed. The CDC actually had to come down to St. Croix to dispense anti-biotics on the island. So there is more that needs to be considered when exposing an island population to a contagious desease.

Regards from sunny St. Croix,

Cruciangal

This is absolutely true and I think the islands are very concerned about keeping the residents safe at this point for good reasons as you mentioned.

Since I live on a Caribbean island I have to respond to this post. Unlike the mainland US, some Caribbean islands are not equipped medically to deal with epidemics. Case in point our son's private school had a whooping cough breakout a year and a half ago. The doctors on the island did not do a good job keeping it contained and many students were mis-diagnosed. The CDC actually had to come down to St. Croix to dispense anti-biotics on the island. So there is more that needs to be considered when exposing an island population to a contagious desease.

Excellent post. Some people seem to forget that not everyone has the level of medical facilities available as we do here in the States.

this isn't royal's fault. they don't know if their passengers are healthy or sick. this is the reason that I and others have seen patient's airlifted off the ship due to heart problems or whatever... YOU are responsible for making sure you are healthy before you get on a isolated floating boat with 2500 people. This is for everyone's benefit, including your own.

Agreed. The only exception is when a passenger comes down with something after their vacation begins. I really feel sorry for the passengers who are actually sick on this cruise. I doubt they planned to spend their week feeling miserable and causing the whole ship to be denied access to its ports of call.

Sure, you'll find those who will board a cruise in spite of illness because of the $ spent, but sometimes a person can be feeling fine, all excited to get started on their trip, and a couple of days into the vacation... it hits. Ugh.

Since I live on a Caribbean island I have to respond to this post. Unlike the mainland US, some Caribbean islands are not equipped medically to deal with epidemics. Case in point our son's private school had a whooping cough breakout a year and a half ago. The doctors on the island did not know how to keep it from spreading and many students were mis-diagnosed. The CDC actually had to come down to St. Croix to dispense anti-biotics on the island. So there is more that needs to be considered when exposing an island population to a contagious desease.

Regards from sunny St. Croix,

Cruciangal

CrucianGal: I understand your concern, but any cruise passenger or any visitor who flies in to an island for that matter can carry some type of flu bug. Are we not to travel to your beautiful island unless we pass a physical the week prior to a trip? I'm certainly don't mean to be sarcastic -- the medical issues you describe are troubling -- but I still maintain many are overreacting.

We were on the AOS sailing May 10-17 to these islands. Thank goodness there was no problems with making port. On Antigua we were returning back to the ship by cab and the cab driver remarked that he had been planning to visit NYC in the near future but would not now due to the swine flu outbreak. I remember being surprised that he was so nervous about catching this flu that he would not leave the island. I wonder how he felt about having all these strangers entering his cab with their potential flu germies.:cool:

CrucianGal: I understand your concern, but any cruise passenger or any visitor who flies in to an island for that matter can carry some type of flu bug. Are we not to travel to your beautiful island unless we pass a physical the week prior to a trip? I'm certainly don't mean to be sarcastic -- the medical issues you describe are troubling -- but I still maintain many are overreacting.

Look at it this way.

Cousin Ron and wife and family are coming for a visit, and are staying at your house. Little Susie has the swine flu. They are still coming anyway.

Now apply your logic.

All this makes me worry about my upcoming cruise. I have chronic bronchitis. I cough and cough sometimes, are they going to have a cow because of this scare? Should I go to the DR and get a letter saying my cough is not due to something contagious? Think it's come to that? I hope not, but I'm starting to worry.

I am wondering the same thing... The whole family has allergies so coughing and sneezing at any time are a usual thing for us. And this is especially true when we change environments. We only get in one day prior to sailing in July and now I am worried if one of us coughs or sneezes we will be denied boarding. OMG

Guest nhrich
LOL

Me too! I've already had a call from the schools nurse this morning.

CRAMPS (at 10???)

And the fun begins. :eek:

Look at it this way.

Cousin Ron and wife and family are coming for a visit, and are staying at your house. Little Susie has the swine flu. They are still coming anyway.

Now apply your logic.

Mr. Pete:

No, little Susie stays home (or, if a cruise passenger, in her cabin) with her Mom or Dad; she probably does not feel well enough to visit anyway. The rest of the family still wants to vacation and comes to our house (or the rest of the cruise ship's passengers visit the island).

Mr. Pete:

No, little Susie stays home (or, if a cruise passenger, in her cabin) with her Mom or Dad; she probably does not feel well enough to visit anyway. The rest of the family still wants to vacation and comes to our house (or the rest of the cruise ship's passengers visit the island).

So incubation periods are COMPLETELY ignored?

I am wondering the same thing... The whole family has allergies so coughing and sneezing at any time are a usual thing for us. And this is especially true when we change environments. We only get in one day prior to sailing in July and now I am worried if one of us coughs or sneezes we will be denied boarding. OMG

I think they would use a fever to determine the difference between allergies, colds and flu. It's getting pretty scary here in the northeast - we have many cases of it in our schools and elsewhere - I'm assuming the large amount of people in NYC plus the original outbreak at the high school here has something to do with it. Many people think its not a big deal because they aren't experiencing the numbers we have here - and one of the first deaths was in NYC as well. We're seeing it much worse here. Also, the reports are that even though it is in general mild, 1/2 the people that have died were young and healthy. Since this is a new strain we really don't know how it will end.

I think you are ignoring the fact that the vast majority of people do not KNOW they have been exposed to something. So it's not that they are ignoring the incubation period...it's that they simply have no idea they should be taking any precautions at all.

Your example applies to a small percentage of people who actually know they've been exposed. And in their case, yes, the responsible thing to do would be to stay home.

But what about the other hundred thousand or so people who are walking around everyday who have been in the same space as someone who is sick (with something...not necessarily H1N1). Do they all stay home, too? If so, the cruise ships would all be empty.

I think you are ignoring the fact that the vast majority of people do not KNOW they have been exposed to something. So it's not that they are ignoring the incubation period...it's that they simply have no idea they should be taking any precautions at all.

Your example applies to a small percentage of people who actually know they've been exposed. And in their case, yes, the responsible thing to do would be to stay home.

But what about the other hundred thousand or so people who are walking around everyday who have been in the same space as someone who is sick (with something...not necessarily H1N1). Do they all stay home, too? If so, the cruise ships would all be empty.

Good points, Robmab.

I think they would use a fever to determine the difference between allergies, colds and flu. It's getting pretty scary here in the northeast - we have many cases of it in our schools and elsewhere - I'm assuming the large amount of people in NYC plus the original outbreak at the high school here has something to do with it. Many people think its not a big deal because they aren't experiencing the numbers we have here - and one of the first deaths was in NYC as well. We're seeing it much worse here. Also, the reports are that even though it is in general mild, 1/2 the people that have died were young and healthy. Since this is a new strain we really don't know how it will end.

Sometimes my bronchitis causes my to have a fever, however it is not something I am going to give to my ship mates. I fully understand an abundance of caution, but there is a difference between caution and panic and I wonder where the cruise lines will draw the line. I will get a letter from my Dr. I guess, and hope that it's enough, or better yet, that it won't become an issue. No way I can ARGUE them trying to keep their passengers and crew from getting ill, but I really hope they draw the line somewhere reasonable.

I think you are ignoring the fact that the vast majority of people do not KNOW they have been exposed to something.

If Uncle Ronnie knows little Susie has it, he knows. Yet, Royal29 would still let him come. :rolleyes:

If someone on board has it, there's a VERY good chance they have exposed it to others, and is in incubation.

I believe the fear still remains that it doesn't mutate into something worse, with two strains potentially doing such.

Then this virus WILL be as bad as THAT virus in the early 20th century.

How a certain disease behaves in the future has little to do with how it is treated in the present. If, and when, the virus mutates then we will have to deal with it.

So it really would make sense, from your point of view, to shut all the Caribbean ports down now. Even if no one is sick on the ships chances are someone aboard the ship went to the grocery store the day before setting sail and may have contracted some infectious agent that they are bringing aboard the ship that they are unaware of. Not to mention what we are all potentially exposed to sitting in a plane for a few hours on the way to our various cruises.

For that matter, even if all of your visiting relatives are completely healthy there is a good chance that one of them is bringing a bug into your house that no one is aware of. I think you had better tell your family to stay home.:D

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3264

AoS was allowed to dock in St Thomas today but St Maarten (Friday) and St Croix (Saturday) are still up in the air.

I can understand St Lucia and Antigua refusing to allow AoS to dock there, but according to RCI the cases of H1N1 on AoS are still 'suspected'. The swabs had to be sent to Trinidad for confirmation and those results have not yet been released.

Well, it's still tough decisions for all parties involved... for St Lucia and Antigua to give up all the revenue from a cruise ship means that there were some pretty serious fears.

Sometimes my bronchitis causes my to have a fever, however it is not something I am going to give to my ship mates. I fully understand an abundance of caution, but there is a difference between caution and panic and I wonder where the cruise lines will draw the line. I will get a letter from my Dr. I guess, and hope that it's enough, or better yet, that it won't become an issue. No way I can ARGUE them trying to keep their passengers and crew from getting ill, but I really hope they draw the line somewhere reasonable.

Yeah, I think the note is a good idea. I assume you have meds, too? Maybe you could ask you pharm to label them for treatment of bronch? Good luck - hope you don't even have to worry about it and can enjoy your cruise!:)

I am an avid traveller and I must admit I would be disappointed if my plans to visit a place got cancelled due to something like this. However I just wish that posters would also think about the islanders. The health care available on the islands is below what many in the States and Canada would consider acceptable. In the USVI most people do not have healthcare insurance and they are poor. Can you imagine getting a life threatening flu and not being able to stay hydrated? Well most people in the islands have to buy their drinking water. What might be a mild flu to someone in the States can be very dangerous to an islander. Some islanders have never travelled and do not have the same immunities as people who live in highly populated places. I love to cruise and travel, but if I had to give up a port or two because of the potential of infecting other people I would do so.

I am an avid traveller and I must admit I would be disappointed if my plans to visit a place got cancelled due to something like this. However I just wish that posters would also think about the islanders. The health care available on the islands is below what many in the States and Canada would consider acceptable. In the USVI most people do not have healthcare insurance and they are poor. Can you imagine getting a life threatening flu and not being able to stay hydrated? Well most people in the islands have to buy their drinking water. What might be a mild flu to someone in the States can be very dangerous to an islander. Some islanders have never travelled and do not have the same immunities as people who live in highly populated places. I love to cruise and travel, but if I had to give up a port or two because of the potential of infecting other people I would do so.

I agree and imagine next week the ship is flu free but cases are found on the islands - WOULD the ship then call to those islands ?? i don't think so !!

jj...

Yeah, I think the note is a good idea. I assume you have meds, too? Maybe you could ask you pharm to label them for treatment of bronch? Good luck - hope you don't even have to worry about it and can enjoy your cruise!:)

Fantastic idea, I will see if they can do that!

How a certain disease behaves in the future has little to do with how it is treated in the present. If, and when, the virus mutates then we will have to deal with it.

So it really would make sense, from your point of view, to shut all the Caribbean ports down now. Even if no one is sick on the ships chances are someone aboard the ship went to the grocery store the day before setting sail and may have contracted some infectious agent that they are bringing aboard the ship that they are unaware of. Not to mention what we are all potentially exposed to sitting in a plane for a few hours on the way to our various cruises.

For that matter, even if all of your visiting relatives are completely healthy there is a good chance that one of them is bringing a bug into your house that no one is aware of. I think you had better tell your family to stay home.:D

GREAT points by you and robmab AND others! I agree completely. The hysteria over H1N1 borders on insanity!

6+ BILLION people worldwide and only a few HUNDRED deaths? I think more people die worldwide each year from bee stings.

:rolleyes:

We are also scheduled to go on the AOS this Sunday and changed to this ship from the Mariner when her Mexico ports got cancelled last month. robmac also came from the Mariner. Its the not knowing what is going to happen to our cruise after what we already went through to change cruises and airlines is difficult especially since we leave in 2 days.

Does anyone know if the ship will have to do a scrub down like they do with the Norovirus or what when she comes back to San Juan?

With that logic, people living downstream from a dam that's about to burst should only worry about it when they start seeing the water. :confused:

So it really would make sense, from your point of view, to shut all the Caribbean ports down now.

Never said that.

But now that I think of it, didn't we already bring diseases to them a couple of hundred years ago when we first "found" them?

Archived