June 7th - First Triumph Cruise out of NY - Review

crusinmama06

My "narcissist" comment was based more on the amount of time invested to post and all the add ons etc...I cannot imagine how anyone not self-absorbed could put that kind of time into a project like this...

What???? Have you read reviews around here at CC before or am I the first? There was a Triumph thread that was about 20 pages long just before I left. Did you tell her she was narcissistic for posting an extensive review?

This is the most ridiculous comment.

I created a place for the parents of the cruise critic family board to keep all of the kid schedules from each camp and each kid menu from every cruise line. That's the link in my signature. I scan everything. I do this as a way for parents to research their cruise before they go.

So now I am self absorbed? Wow, amazing.

Ok I'm confused:confused: I read this on the RCCL boards:D

Why the confusion? I was referring to the Camp. And as you quoted me there, I am able to see past the entire Carnival experience if the kid's camp is up to par because then the kids are happy.

This will be my boys first cruise (5 and 9 years) and was considering between Carnival and Princess. Michelle, based on your experience, which one would you go for?

Seriously, ask this question on the cruise critic family board and you will get a variety of opinions. Then you might be able to weigh the benefits of each. I haven't done Princess yet. Many parents on the fam board have and love it. Some love Carnival and are very happy. So please come over and post your question to get a variety of opinions...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Why the confusion? I was referring to the Camp. And as you quoted me there, I am able to see past the entire Carnival experience if the kid's camp is up to par because then the kids are happy.

Contradiction at it's best lol!........ it doesn't matter it is pretty clear what is posted:p:D

Have a great time on your next cruise!

5th sentence says it was my third Carnival Cruise and my last paragraph says 'great review". Thanks again for sharing and for taking the time to reply to the replies. I did enjoy the review, pictures and appreciate your opinion. You have taken alot of your time to post here. My "narcissist" comment was based more on the amount of time invested to post and all the add ons etc...I cannot imagine how anyone not self-absorbed could put that kind of time into a project like this...but I could be wrong there...sorry. Don't take offense as I am just an anonymous poster on a web page and really mean nothing to you.

Thanks again for your review.

I gather you didnt read Lambie's review of the Conquest which she put tons of time into uploading pictures to photobucket and everyone raved about. Is the difference it is ok to spend tons of time if you rave about everything, but it makes it narcissist to do it if the OP didnt care for the camp experience this time and had issues?

There are other threads that say, Longest review with tons of pictures, better avoid them if putting lots of work into reivew makes you post the person must be a narcissist type of person.

Michelle,

I actually feel bad that after trying to post a review (which would help others out) you got some of the nasty responses you did.

Totally uncalled for.....

If you don't have anything nice to say......please don't.

I hope this won't deter you from posting reviews in the future....

Contradiction at it's best lol!........ it doesn't matter it is pretty clear what is posted:p:D

Have a great time on your next cruise!

Here, my past Elation review, I'll save you the trouble to continue stalking me from one thread to another...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=24138

Michelle,

I actually feel bad that after trying to post a review (which would help others out) you got some of the nasty responses you did.

Totally uncalled for.....

If you don't have anything nice to say......please don't.

I hope this won't deter you from posting reviews in the future....

Yes and I can't figure out why I am getting so much attention. I think my fellow CC cruisers had many more nasty things to say about this cruise than I did. Yet, here's the CCL calvary. :rolleyes:

Michelle,

Thanks for your review. After sailing Triumph a few years ago, I swore I would never sail Carnival again. The service in the dining room was non-existent. The buffet food was poor. It was an overall terrible cruise and the worst part is that I talked many others into sailing on the ship with us.

I think you probably know we are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean, but we like to sail from Pt Canaveral and RCI had no ships sailing the 7 day itinerary in February/March 2009. We chose Carnival Glory and loved it.

What a difference from Triumph. So much so, that we canceled our Liberty of the Seas cruise for later this year and are going on Glory again in October and the ports from Pt Canaveral are far better than Freedom has for the western Caribbean.

I am looking forward to also going on Dream. I am not saying I won't go on RCI again, but with all the downgrades RCI is doing to it's customers, it no longer has the appeal to me that it has in the past.

I do have to say though I don't have any young children so I can't comment about either children's program, but I do take your word for what you experienced. Had I young children and had the problems you did, I would have been upset as well.

Each person has his/her own comfort level and even that can change from cruise to cruise. I guess we all have to do what's best for us and I can see you will be on RCI for the future. I still think, that for us, there are a few others to try and we will be doing so. Enjoy.

Each person has his/her own comfort level and even that can change from cruise to cruise. I guess we all have to do what's best for us and I can see you will be on RCI for the future. I still think, that for us, there are a few others to try and we will be doing so. Enjoy.

Enjoy the Glory again Katie. :D And I plan to do other cruise lines too, no doubt. :)

Thanks!

Yes and I can't figure out why I am getting so much attention. I think my fellow CC cruisers had many more nasty things to say about this cruise than I did. Yet, here's the CCL calvary. :rolleyes:

I think the reason you're getting so much attention is the tone of your review on this board versus the tone on the RCI board are very different. the thread on RCI wasn't really a review-just a bashing of everything connected with Carnival including the people who choose to cruise on Carnival. I'm not saying you were the one making the remarks, but you must admit there were alot of snide remarks being made. this only creates animosity. Also, many people from the RCI board have jumped over here and incited rebuttals by the remarks being made. You have legitimate gripes about your cruise-I just think all the bashing{on both sides} is unnecessary.

Pat

i think the reason you're getting so much attention is the tone of your review on this board versus the tone on the rci board are very different. The thread on rci wasn't really a review-just a bashing of everything connected with carnival including the people who choose to cruise on carnival. I'm not saying you were the one making the remarks, but you must admit there were alot of snide remarks being made. This only creates animosity. Also, many people from the rci board have jumped over here and incited rebuttals by the remarks being made. You have legitimate gripes about your cruise-i just think all the bashing{on both sides} is unnecessary.

Pat

bingo!

Michelle-

We're two days off the Carnival Paradise and I just thought I'd share with you that my evil hellion 6 year old was also in trouble for running during duck duck goose and had to sit out. I got a phone call to come get him for "noncompliance" too. When I arrived (stunned because my kid has never ever been in trouble in 2 years of school!), I was told that he refused to color in all the spaces on his tee-shirt during the coloring project. WHAT?? I was seriously annoyed that this was their version of noncompliance. I was not going to force him to color... so weird! We didn't see that counselor again in two more days so I'm not sure what her deal was.

I found the schedule for Camp Carnival to be a bit annoying. I like you, was cruising without another adult. How can I go to the "mandatory" disembarkation lecture when Camp Carnival lets out 20 min before it's scheduled to be over? There were several things like that where I just thought "huh, who made this plan?"

Our only other annoying complaint was that the waterslide had a posted height restriction of 48". My DS is 49 1/2 inches (having just come from the pediatrician and also Disneyland!) The slide monitor on our sea day insisted he had to be taller than the pole- not taller than the mark. That made the height restriction at least 50".

I could be wrong, but after reading the comments in the RCI thread, the OP seems a little snobbish to me.

You are wrong. She probably one of the nicest people on here, fair and rarely negative. She went on a typical Carnival cruise, as they say in the sports world , don't hate the player hate the game.

. It's kind of like loving Hilton Hotels and then having one bad experience at a Hilton and judging the whole corporation by that one experience.

Comparing Carnival to Hilton? I think you would be more in line comparing Carnival to Motel 6 or the Dollar INN.

Hey! I already apologized twice to OP. It was not accepted. Cool. Water off my back. However, wouldn't most people consider "She went on a typical Carnival cruise, as they say in the sports world , don't hate the player hate the game." a tad bit elitist?

Michele- Thank you for your honest review. I have only sailed on RC and are open to other cruise lines. I appreciate your honesty. I am looking to take my kids on a cruise.. how do you compare Disney to RC? Would you recommend one over the other?? Thanks so much

Michelle-

We're two days off the Carnival Paradise and I just thought I'd share with you that my evil hellion 6 year old was also in trouble for running during duck duck goose and had to sit out. I got a phone call to come get him for "noncompliance" too. When I arrived (stunned because my kid has never ever been in trouble in 2 years of school!), I was told that he refused to color in all the spaces on his tee-shirt during the coloring project. WHAT?? I was seriously annoyed that this was their version of noncompliance. I was not going to force him to color... so weird! We didn't see that counselor again in two more days so I'm not sure what her deal was.

I found the schedule for Camp Carnival to be a bit annoying. I like you, was cruising without another adult. How can I go to the "mandatory" disembarkation lecture when Camp Carnival lets out 20 min before it's scheduled to be over? There were several things like that where I just thought "huh, who made this plan?"

Our only other annoying complaint was that the waterslide had a posted height restriction of 48". My DS is 49 1/2 inches (having just come from the pediatrician and also Disneyland!) The slide monitor on our sea day insisted he had to be taller than the pole- not taller than the mark. That made the height restriction at least 50".

Non-compliance? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I wonder what's going on with them? They never used to be like this. They used to have alot of patience in camp. :confused:

Hey! I already apologized twice to OP. It was not accepted. Cool. Water off my back. However, wouldn't most people consider "She went on a typical Carnival cruise, as they say in the sports world , don't hate the player hate the game." a tad bit elitist?

The word "ignorant" comes to mind;) But he doesn't need me to point that out LMAO!!!

Great review, Michelle. It's amazing that there are people who have nothing better to do with their time but criticize your hard work. Maybe they should get a job...or another one so they don't have so much time to spend on these boards...go ahead people, flame me!!!

One thing I noticed in the very beginning shook me a bit...$30 a day to park??? Is this a New York thing, or am I just spoiled paying $50 for 7 days in Galveston (formerly $35) for so long? Did any of those in line getting their 40 bucks back for people who actually provide them a service find a way to get out of the parking cost, from people who do nothing but claim no liability should your car get broken into?

Michele- Thank you for your honest review. I have only sailed on RC and are open to other cruise lines. I appreciate your honesty. I am looking to take my kids on a cruise.. how do you compare Disney to RC? Would you recommend one over the other?? Thanks so much

Disney is a tough call. Here's why. You honestly pay so much for them, so you would expect the best. We've been on both Magic and Wonder and we just wished the pool area was a little bigger on each. It's been described as kids in a floating lobster tank and that's the way it is.

The cabins are nice, but the ships honestly don't have as many ammenities on them as a RCCL Freedom class - or coming up, RCCL Oasis class. I am looking forward to the new Disney Ships in 2011 and 2012. I am hoping they make some improvements.

So if you have never been on a Disney ship, then its nice to try. It's a great product. But if its your only cruise and you can only do one, then No, I would pick a RCCL Freedom class for kids.

One thing I noticed in the very beginning shook me a bit...$30 a day to park??? Is this a New York thing, or am I just spoiled paying $50 for 7 days in Galveston (formerly $35) for so long? Did any of those in line getting their 40 bucks back for people who actually provide them a service find a way to get out of the parking cost, from people who do nothing but claim no liability should your car get broken into?

Nope, no way to get out of the parking cost...lol. It is no doubt a NYC thing. It was $30/day to park. And Bayonne NJ, right across the pond...lol..is cheaper at $18 or $19/day to park.

I was trying to get around it - thought about these options - staying at a hotel with parking - nope, the parking was $20-$30/day to park at the NYC hotels.

One CCer mentioned parking at the ferry terminal and taking the ferry over, but I had read taht they could tow your car because it's not suppose to be there long term.

Train in - the train arrived at 4:58pm - a little late...lol.

Bus, same thing.

So yep, I had to pay $30/day to park.

Comparing Carnival to Hilton? I think you would be more in line comparing Carnival to Motel 6 or the Dollar INN.

Heres the full post...

"14 cruises on Carnival and never had any of this happen so please don't feel this is the norm! All ships have their own hotel manager and the ship is as good as the manager running the show. It's kind of like loving Hilton Hotels and then having one bad experience at a Hilton and judging the whole corporation by that one experience. I'm sorry things didn't go well- I surely would have said something about Camp Carnival- that is just plain wrong!"

Pat

Where was Carnival compared to Hilton? Please point that out. It was an analogy..using Hilton as the example about one bad experience. But you proceed to go there comparing CCL to Motel 6 and folks are wondering why there is the "back and forth" going on here between CCL and RCCL.

Archived