Arrive London 7:00 am, can we get in hotel

Buffalo Man

We just got our travel docs. We had Celelbrity do the airline and hotel in London and the transfer. So will we be able to get in the room that early? It sure would be nice to shower and change clothes after the flight.

Thanks,

Richard

Has Celebrity given you the hotel name yet? If so, I'd call or email them - explain situation and see if they have an early checkin or at least a secure place to hold luggage until time to checkin. Keep in mind that even w/ an ontime arrival, you'll use time collecting baggage and clearing UK customs, etc. I'm sorry, but I can't really give you an accurate answer. I would be surprised if they actually allow that early a checkin, unless they have a vacancy available.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Last time I travelled to London (April) - I asked for early check in. I landed at Gatwick at 6am, was in my in central London napping by 8:30 am. It is always worth requesting it.

Some hotels require you to book an extra night to insure extra early arrival. It can't hurt to ask if you can check in early, but during the busy tourist season don't be surprised if you can't check in until after noon.

Thanks all for insights. I am hoping that since this has all been arranged by Celebrity it is taken care of. I like the idea of napping by 8:30. I will have my TA look into it. Just wanted to hear from you folks first.

Richard

This is yrs out of date, but I offer it as a warning.

We were bk'd on an early (really really early--Passport Control was empty and barely awake) Heathrow arrival. We arrived at our hotel about 8 am London time. We had reserved a rm for the night before so we could go straight to bed. BUT our rm had been given to another party. We complained. "We pd for that rm!!!" "You weren't here so we cancelled your reservation." We demanded a refund. We didn't cancel in time so the rate was non-refundable. We demanded to see the mgr. He wasn't in yet.

We dumped our luggage in the lobby and tried to make ourselves comfortable in the overstuffed chairs, but it was hardly the most sleep-inducive situation. I doubt we got so much as 5 min sleep at a time. Two hrs later the mgr showed up and was as sympathetic as the first clerk. No cancel; no refund. (BTW, we were not offered bkfst, and we were too sleep-deprived to ask.) At 2-3 pm we were finally allowed into a rm. Of course, by that time, we were on EDT-morning-hrs and were wide awake. So much for having a good nt's sleep upon arrival.

When we got home, we talked to our TA and demanded a refund. She made phone calls and was given the same answer: no cancel, no refund.

Needless to say, we didn't use that TA again.

In case you're thinking that we must have bk'd a budget, UK-only hotel, that's not the case. We bk'd into a Best Western hotel specifically b/c they were supposed to be more acquainted with Americans and their "unusual" quirks. We never got an apology, a refund, or any kind of credit. B/W, of course, has gone blissfully along, doing bsns, claiming they're this wonderful user-friendly hotel chain. We, however, have never stayed in another B/W and have told TAs about our experience whenever one has suggested a B/W hotel.

Bking a rm where you can crash the morning you arrive sounds like a great idea, but the best laid plans etc....

M/R

In similar circumstances of early London arrival and transfer and hotel booked through cruise line (X, RCCL, and Princess) we were never able to get into our room until shortly after noon - so much depends on how early the previous guests check out.:)

We were bk'd on an early (really really early--Passport Control was empty and barely awake) Heathrow arrival. We arrived at our hotel about 8 am London time. We had reserved a rm for the night before so we could go straight to bed. BUT our rm had been given to another party. We complained. "We pd for that rm!!!" "You weren't here so we cancelled your reservation." We demanded a refund. We didn't cancel in time so the rate was non-refundable. We demanded to see the mgr. He wasn't in yet.

We dumped our luggage in the lobby and tried to make ourselves comfortable in the overstuffed chairs, but it was hardly the most sleep-inducive situation. I doubt we got so much as 5 min sleep at a time. Two hrs later the mgr showed up and was as sympathetic as the first clerk. No cancel; no refund. (BTW, we were not offered bkfst, and we were too sleep-deprived to ask.) At 2-3 pm we were finally allowed into a rm. Of course, by that time, we were on EDT-morning-hrs and were wide awake. So much for having a good nt's sleep upon arrival.

When we got home, we talked to our TA and demanded a refund. She made phone calls and was given the same answer: no cancel, no refund.

In case you're thinking that we must have bk'd a budget, UK-only hotel, that's not the case. We bk'd into a Best Western hotel specifically b/c they were supposed to be more acquainted with Americans and their "unusual" quirks. We never got an apology, a refund, or any kind of credit. B/W, of course, has gone blissfully along, doing bsns, claiming they're this wonderful user-friendly hotel chain. We, however, have never stayed in another B/W and have told TAs about our experience whenever one has suggested a B/W hotel.

Bking a rm where you can crash the morning you arrive sounds like a great idea, but the best laid plans etc....

M/R

I've travelled a lot on business and have done that "pay for the night before so you can crash when you arrive" deal many times in Europe and Australia. And I have never encountered anything like what you described. Reading it, I felt trapped in a Catch-22 - I can't even imagine how frustrating it must have been to actually experience it!!

I can't believe that this situation wasn't made right by the manager, or failing that, by the TA or Corporate. Hopefully, it's a rare occurrence.

In my experience sometimes the bigger hotels have a courtesy room where you can at least have a shower until your room is ready. Otherwise in hotels with a gym or spa I have just asked to go down and shower in the lockerroom if the room isn't ready, its not a perfect solution but it definitely washes away the cobwebs!

M/R

I hope you posted reviews of this hotel on the various booking sites, as well as trip advisor. Inexcusable they gave your room away after you had payed for it. And then to refuse a refund? People should be warned away from this sort of establishment.

In case you're thinking that we must have bk'd a budget, UK-only hotel, that's not the case. We bk'd into a Best Western hotel specifically b/c they were supposed to be more acquainted with Americans and their "unusual" quirks.M/R

Sorry, but Best Western is pretty much a budget hotel chain.

If you are booking a room for the night prior to your arrival PLEASE tell the hotel that you are arriving in the morning or they WILL cancel your room, this is quite common in the UK the latest check in time varies from hotel to hotel.

We arrived in Amsterdam a day early for a 12 night cruise. I warned my teens to try to get some sleep on the plane since the room would not be ready and we would just have to slog through the first day. We arrived at a Marriot in Amsterdam and I asked for a spot to store the luggage and the young lady behind the counter suggested our available room:D. It was 8:30AM. We went to the room took a three hour nap freshend up and had a great day. It was a nice start to an excellent vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK and France, in the cities, I have rarely been able to check in before the "correct" time even tho' it was obvious the place wasn't even full. Rules are rules !

Just my experience over the years.

Thanks all for insights. I am hoping that since this has all been arranged by Celebrity it is taken care of. I like the idea of napping by 8:30. I will have my TA look into it. Just wanted to hear from you folks first.

Richard

I would not assume or even expect that it will be taken care of because you booked it through Celebrity. This is likely something you will have to be proactive about and try to work out early check in with the hotel directly (or through your travel agent). As others have said, it likely will vary based on the business of the hotel that particular morning.

We just got our travel docs. We had Celebrity do the airline and hotel in London and the transfer. So will we be able to get in the room that early? It sure would be nice to shower and change clothes after the flight.

Thanks,

Richard

I travel to London 6-8 times a year. I suggest you call ahead but most all flights that come from NA arrive early AM. I fly from Toronto and always arrive at 6:30 AM or 8:30AM (depending which flight I take). The Hotel I stay at Le Meridian knows me so a room is always ready. Although in the past most rooms will not be ready till noon. Just as normal as flying in North America.

We always travel with small gifts for front desk staff and airport personnel. Works wonders. Nobody appreciates these folks enough.

We always get into a room early when arriving early in Europe. We generally though do stay at hotels were we belong to the loyalty programs.

Archived