Sushi at Vines

zabs

I dont lounge but I can understand others wanting personal space. I hate children and would rather not see your kids im not a baby sitter and I dont want to hear them. So yes the sanctuary is a good thing. Everyone is diffrent and if you love kids thats you, its good someone needs to.

All I want to say to this comment is "WOW"

And I know we paid for our sushi in May this year on the Emerald. It is possible that Princess tried an experiment on that Ruby cruise in May and offered free sushi - after all, many people do not partake and what they charge probably just reimburses them for the cost of the fish, with no profit. Until we get more confirmations from people who have actually gotten free sushi, at Vines on other cruises I'm thinking people should not expect it. But I think I'll hang out here a bit longer to see if anyone gets the correct information.

We were just on the May 29 sailing of the Crown and we did have to pay for sushi ($3 for a very generous serving) but did NOT have to pay for the cheese and crackers.

We loved Vines and went there quite often - definitely worth a visit.

Bad info here... Fresh, made to order, shushi, both raw and cooked depending on the specific types available each night, IS available at Vines on those Princess ships that have one. It's a great addition to the fleet!!

Were you on the Golden when I was?

What I had at Vines was not real Sushi. :eek:

Were you on the Golden when I was?

What I had at Vines was not real Sushi. :eek:

We were recently on the CB (May 24-June 2), and spent quite a bit of time at Vines. There was "real" sushi, at a cost. It was freshly made in the little enclosed chilled kitchen they have off the wine bar area, where they also hang specialty meats in full view.

The specialty cheeses were about $4.50 for a sampler plate. The sushi was around $1 a piece.

When we sampled (several!) wine flights during our many visits, we were each given a free plate of sliced meats, gherkins, and crackers. I think the wine flights were of great value, and the wine steward (who has taken some sommelier classes) knew his stuff and described the character and terroir of each wine.

We also really enjoyed the fare at the sushi buffet in Cafe Caribe on the first sea day (advertised in the Patters.) These were mostly California-style rolls, with tuna, smoked salmon, vegetarian, etc.

LidoLiz

We were recently on the CB (May 24-June 2), and spent quite a bit of time at Vines. There was "real" sushi, at a cost. It was freshly made in the little enclosed chilled kitchen they have off the wine bar area, where they also hang specialty meats in full view.

The specialty cheeses were about $4.50 for a sampler plate. The sushi was around $1 a piece.

When we sampled (several!) wine flights during our many visits, we were each given a free plate of sliced meats, gherkins, and crackers. I think the wine flights were of great value, and the wine steward (who has taken some sommelier classes) knew his stuff and described the character and terroir of each wine.

We also really enjoyed the fare at the sushi buffet in Cafe Caribe on the first sea day (advertised in the Patters.) These were mostly California-style rolls, with tuna, smoked salmon, vegetarian, etc.

LidoLiz

I think I had the HC crap. :eek:

30 years old and you HATE kids. Wow! I sure hope you don't get stuck being married to someone who wants any. Then again, it would be the spouse that would be stuck. Stay single.

NO, he was born in 1930!!!!! (79 years OLD)!! I had to check his profile, with that moment! Hope he has NO children, or grandchilden, or even great-grandchildren! Oh well, he got his point across. :-( LOL

Sounds like it depends where the ships are sourcing their food from. From what I gathered from the above, the sushi was free in the Mediterranean, but not in the Caribbean.

I expect where they can source sushi ingredients for cheaper than cheese, the sushi is free, and where they can't, the cheese & cracker plate is free.

Also, maybe some cruises have "real" sushi for a charge and others have "unreal" sushi for free?

I'm just hoping they have "real" and free sushi in The Baltic! Hehe!

NO, he was born in 1930!!!!! (79 years OLD)!! I had to check his profile, with that moment! Hope he has NO children, or grandchilden, or even great-grandchildren! Oh well, he got his point across. :-( LOL

What you are reading is age 30, not 1930. They list the birthdate and in parentheses they list the current age. This baby hater is in fact quite young.

on the Star in April and it was excellent!!!! It was $1/piece and worth every penny. Actually, less expensive than we could get anywhere on land.

The "sushi" buffet they had at the lido pool however wasn't even close to real sushi!

Cheers, Denise

Think I missed the real stuff there. :)

i dont think they always had it on display, you may have had to ask for it because they refridgerate it so maybe that's why you missed it...i've always had it on the crown but they serve it to you and you have to ask about what they have that day

i dont think they always had it on display, you may have had to ask for it because they refridgerate it so maybe that's why you missed it...i've always had it on the crown but they serve it to you and you have to ask about what they have that day

Think you are right, thanks. :)

I'd think on an Alaskan cruise you could get the best fresh salmon in the world!

You can. It's also the most expensive fresh salmon in the world.

When my ship was cruising there last season, our Port Agent quoted us the great price of $24 per pound.

But it wasn't really a problem. The US Public Health Service only allows cruise lines to purchase fish from Licensed Certified Vendors. That usually means frozen. Most Alaska fishermen sell their entire catch to the big wholesalers in the lower 48, who freeze everything, jack up the price, and sell it to the cruise lines through the Certified Vendors.

Then the cruise ships bring it back to Alasak and feed it to you.

When you eat salmon on a ship in Alaska, it is invariably frozen first.

Archived