Sushi at Vines

zabs

Just got home from an amazing Med trip on the Ruby - and regrettably discovered on the second last day of the trip that the sushi at Vines is FREE of charge. Wine and the cheese sampler are extra but the sushi is free. It is excellent - a sampler plate of three choices that change daily but usually include a salmon and tuna option. All are freshly made when ordered. As they don't serve food in the bars - my DH and I ordered sushi for our party and took it to the Wheelhouse Bar for hors d'oeuvres - this was not a problem at all. Definitely one of the best deals on the ship if you like sushi - and the wine selection on the Ruby can't be beat either. Sushi is available from 6:00 - 11:00 PM. Try Vines early in the cruise before everybody else catches on!

Just got home from an amazing Med trip on the Ruby - and regrettably discovered on the second last day of the trip that the sushi at Vines is FREE of charge. Wine and the cheese sampler are extra but the sushi is free. It is excellent - a sampler plate of three choices that change daily but usually include a salmon and tuna option. All are freshly made when ordered. As they don't serve food in the bars - my DH and I ordered sushi for our party and took it to the Wheelhouse Bar for hors d'oeuvres - this was not a problem at all. Definitely one of the best deals on the ship if you like sushi - and the wine selection on the Ruby can't be beat either. Sushi is available from 6:00 - 11:00 PM. Try Vines early in the cruise before everybody else catches on!

Great to hear Sparkey! Thank you for taking the time to brighten our day.:D

I was very surprised to hear that the sushi was FREE on the Ruby, but that they charged for the cheese and cracker platter. I think that may be an error. We were on the Ruby's sister ship (Emerald) in May and I spent a lot of time at Vines:D - the sushi chef was very generous with his portions and the sushi was excellent, but the cost was $3.00 per sampling. Still a great bargain. The cheese cracker platter was always free. Vines opened up at 11:30 on sea days, and 4pm on port days. Also, I can highly recommend the tapas bar - four tapas for 4 dollars, and they were EXCELLENT. At lunch time, the deli sandwiches and salads were free, but they only had one guy serving so there was often a line.

So, can someone else comment on the cost of the sushi (or lack thereof) on the Ruby?

When we were on the Ruby sushi was $3 or $4 for three pieces and $1 per piece thereafter. When did they start givin it away?

Thanks Pia - ZABS I think Sparkey may still be jet-lagged from his flight home when he said the sushi was free. It isn't, but don't let that discourage you - Vines is a WONDERFUL addition to the Princess ships - as is the piazza concept. Now that silly sanctuary - what's up with that? Does anyone covet their own lounge chair and dislike children THAT much?

Sushi at Vines was not free two months ago on the Crown on our cruise. But I bought two pieces and wound up with what I would get for a full order at a sushi restaurant in Boston. As for quality, I rate it very high.

Thanks Pia - ZABS I think Sparkey may still be jet-lagged from his flight home when he said the sushi was free. It isn't, but don't let that discourage you - Vines is a WONDERFUL addition to the Princess ships - as is the piazza concept. Now that silly sanctuary - what's up with that? Does anyone covet their own lounge chair and dislike children THAT much?

I dont lounge but I can understand others wanting personal space. I hate children and would rather not see your kids im not a baby sitter and I dont want to hear them. So yes the sanctuary is a good thing. Everyone is diffrent and if you love kids thats you, its good someone needs to.

Was it cooked sushi or real sushi - meaning raw fish?

I dont lounge but I can understand others wanting personal space. I hate children and would rather not see your kids im not a baby sitter and I dont want to hear them. So yes the sanctuary is a good thing. Everyone is diffrent and if you love kids thats you, its good someone needs to.

30 years old and you HATE kids. Wow! I sure hope you don't get stuck being married to someone who wants any. Then again, it would be the spouse that would be stuck. Stay single.

Not discouraged here... I expected an upcharge. I am encouraged by the reports on the quality though! DH has been obsessed with sushi lately and if it were 'free' I'd have trouble getting him out of there. Now about the wine... do they have an extensive wine list at Vines?

I wouldn't call it extensive by some wine bar standards but you surely are offered a wide assortment. You choose a "flight" which consists of 3 different wines. There were maybe 12 or so different flights. Or you could of course order a favorite wine by the glass, or purchase a bottle and they will hold it for you. I wanted to keep a bottle of Kendall Jackson at Vines, which they didn't carry, but they went and got a bottle from the main dining room for me.

As for Trey's comments about hating kids, not wanting to hear them etc. We have to recognize that there are some truly strange people who post here just to get a rise out of people. They should be ignored. Even stranger than Trey is "Hoon" - (although I think that's a typo and it should be the bird), who thinks that people who post here on Cruise Critic are the root of all cruising evils. She would NEVER associate with one of us onboard. Wouldn't it be loverly if she wouldn't post here as well?

I wouldn't call it extensive by some wine bar standards but you surely are offered a wide assortment. You choose a "flight" which consists of 3 different wines. There were maybe 12 or so different flights. Or you could of course order a favorite wine by the glass, or purchase a bottle and they will hold it for you. I wanted to keep a bottle of Kendall Jackson at Vines, which they didn't carry, but they went and got a bottle from the main dining room for me.

As for Trey's comments about hating kids, not wanting to hear them etc. We have to recognize that there are some truly strange people who post here just to get a rise out of people. They should be ignored. Even stranger than Trey is "Hoon" - (although I think that's a typo and it should be the bird), who thinks that people who post here on Cruise Critic are the root of all cruising evils. She would NEVER associate with one of us onboard. Wouldn't it be loverly if she wouldn't post here as well?

Agreed! :D

Trust me - no jet lag - just frustration that I didn't realize until the second last day that the sushi was FREE in the Vines lounge. Let me tell you how I found out - my father had ordered another sampling which did not arrive before we were due to leave for dinner. I didn't want him to get charged so I waived down the waitress and asked that she not charge him for the 3rd plate of sushi that never arrived. The waiter told me the sushi was no charge! After that night, I made my DH shlep plates of sushi around the ship to the lounges where we would be having cocktails or after dinner drinks. It is fresh sushi and made at time of order not in advance - usually 3 kinds per night. This was at Vines on the Ruby Princess leaving Barcelona on May 28th. Can't speak for other Princess cruise ships. Cheese and crackers were $4.50 per plate.

Trust me - no jet lag - just frustration that I didn't realize until the second last day that the sushi was FREE in the Vines lounge. Let me tell you how I found out - my father had ordered another sampling which did not arrive before we were due to leave for dinner. I didn't want him to get charged so I waived down the waitress and asked that she not charge him for the 3rd plate of sushi that never arrived. The waiter told me the sushi was no charge! After that night, I made my DH shlep plates of sushi around the ship to the lounges where we would be having cocktails or after dinner drinks. It is fresh sushi and made at time of order not in advance - usually 3 kinds per night. This was at Vines on the Ruby Princess leaving Barcelona on May 28th. Can't speak for other Princess cruise ships. Cheese and crackers were $4.50 per plate.

We also were on the May 28th sailing on Ruby and enjoyed free Sushi at Vines. The fish was fresh and very good and the free Tapas were very good also. There was no problem getting it to go -- we brought it up on deck and ate by the pool. They had Tuna and Salmon and offered a plate of Sushi or Sashimi. The chef rolled the Sushi while we waited. It seemed like not a lot of people knew about it because we never had a wait. And yes we are still jet lagged. :)

I wonder is the free sushi is new and will continue or if it was just for the Med cruises? Back in Januuary when the Ruby was in the Caribbean, there was a charge for sushi at Vines. It was reasonably priced and tasted very good!

No real Sushi onboard Princess, too big of a health risk.

Occasionaly they have a Sushi Bar set up at the HC for lunch. Perhaps this is where the above poster received his free Sushi?

42 Princess Cruise's

Princess Elite Member

Bad info here... Fresh, made to order, shushi, both raw and cooked depending on the specific types available each night, IS available at Vines on those Princess ships that have one. It's a great addition to the fleet!!

Regarding The Sanctuary, I DO dislike children that much and I have read some glowing reports on The Sanctuary.

If we were doing a less port intensive upcoming cruise (we're doing the Baltic), I'd definitely try it out to see if the glowing reports I've read are correct. But it seems a waste in a cold climate with hardly any on-board time, anyway.

And isn't there an aft pool that is adults only anyway?

OK, I'm going to throw a thought out there about the sudden free sushi on Ruby...

Is it possible that Princess has made some other changes, besides the recent announcement of free ice cream (soft serve)?

Perhaps, they have identified that they are not selling enough sushi so decided to swap the sushi and cheese platters around and sushi is now free, while cheese platters cost money?

I'm now scurrying off to see if there's anything on the Princess website about this....

ColoCruiser is usually not wrong about things either, so I'm surprised to hear conflicting reports on what types of sushi are on-board.

Even though I don't partake....the sushi is "real". My DH enjoyed yellow tail and smoked eel they were his favorite. I know he paid for them, perhaps this are changing again:confused:

And I know we paid for it Thanksgiving week. But that was November and this is June. Something could have changed.

Archived