Netbooks on Princess

KansasScrapper

Deserving it seems like the best reason of all!!!

I already save my cruise and other important photos to jump drives, or sometimes just save the memory card (like the pictures from my DD's wedding).

I am sort of looking at an Acer with a 6 cell battery.

Question for those in the know: The specs say the weight is 2.4 lbs, but does that include battery weight? If not, I wonder how much a 6 cell battery adds to the total weight.

We have had a Acer for close to a year now and feel it is one of the best

purchases we have made ( close to our portable DVD player)

DW does all things offline and then she goes online to transmit.

We had a connection problem in our cabin on the Emerald on our recent

TA and Baltic cruise and the WiFi didn t seem to work or we got a

poor signal. However I discovered that if our cabin door was held open

we received a good signal and could get online with no problem.

So a couple of shoes holding open the door did the trick.

Problem was that those passing by the open door were prone

to stare:)

What --- they never saw boxers before?:)

I hate touchpads, and instead of a retractable mouse I use a wireless one - Logitech do a very neat one (the Nano) with a really tiny "dongle" that you can leave plugged in to a USB port and don't have to take out when you put the netbook away. The mouse itself has a nice little bag for travelling - I find this really good.

My netbook runs Linux. I got it because I already have my main laptop with Vista, and this was cheaper than the XP version. I'm a bit sorry now, as there's quite a lot of stuff you can't download, but it's absolutely fine (and fast) for surfing, e-mails, storing photos, using the word-processor, and all the things you'd do on holiday! As I said, it weighs about 2lb, including the 3-cell battery, which only lasts about 2 hours, but that's fine if you have an outlet, and it charges very quickly.

My SIL, the family computer guru, is suggesting an Asus for me. He found it on Newegg for a really good price.

I do have a little concern about the keyboard having some differences compared to my other computers. Also, it has a 4 cell battery that is reported by reviewers to provide 5+ hours of power on a charge (same as the 6 cell for the Acer). But I suppose the 4 cell might be a little lighter than a 6 cell. WHat do you think?

Someone mentioned a "card reader". I don't know what that is.

Yeah I know, sounds like dumb question, but I just use computers - - I don't understand much about them.

A card reader will read/write to the memory cards used by digital cameras. People use them with netbooks to backup data, to transfer data and to download pictures from their camera.

Someone mentioned a "card reader". I don't know what that is.

Yeah I know, sounds like dumb question, but I just use computers - - I don't understand much about them.

The Acer has a memory card reader. It is for SD cards and others. The kind used in cameras and GPS systems. It can also write those types of memory. I beleive it can accept 5 different types of memory cards.

Pia, My HP mini is model #1010NR and runs Windows XP. I didn't need any extra memory so bought the off the line model with no extras.

Thank you. XP is good enough; don't think any of them have Vista yet anyway.

they are pretty good, but only for internet and other small applications, so keep that in mind.

Actually.... they will do anything you would want any other laptop to do on a ship. Sellers of big, heavy, expensive laptops have tried to fool folks into thinking they are toys or limited in their abilities but it is not true. I have carried one for almost a year on a dozen of overseas trips. I use it with a projector to show complicated Power Point presentations & HD videos and as a video phone. A great place to learn of the strengths and abilities is http://msiwind.net

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Asus that my dear SIL thought would be good for what I want to use it for,which will be primarily keeping in touch vis email with my DDs and GKs when I travel..

I read the specs, and it does have a card reader. I looked closely at the photos of it, and the keyboard is laid out much like my Dell laptop, though I do realize that it'll be a lot smaller.

Now I am hoping that it will be delivered before I go out of town for a few days next week. I want to take it with me, instead of my heavy big laptop. I already know that the hotel I will be staying at has free WiFi. So it would be a good opportunity to try it out.

I'll have to come back on here after I get home from my trip and let you know what I think about it. I'm excited about giving it a try.

The Acer has a memory card reader. It is for SD cards and others. The kind used in cameras and GPS systems. It can also write those types of memory. I beleive it can accept 5 different types of memory cards.

OK, I'm severly computer challenged, like Flamomo, I just use it but don't really understand it!:confused: So I now understand that I have to have a card reader to read/write to the memory card in my camera. Is this card reader an extra device I have to purchase and install? If I get the Acer that has a memory card reader then is it simply part of the netbook and I don't have to add something extra?? I know, I know, you're wondering if she can even turn it on :D, thanks for being patient with me. I'm planning to devote the next few months to purchasing one and really learning how to use it, particularly for pictures.

Thanks, Sue

OK, I'm severly computer challenged, like Flamomo, I just use it but don't really understand it!:confused: So I now understand that I have to have a card reader to read/write to the memory card in my camera. Is this card reader an extra device I have to purchase and install? If I get the Acer that has a memory card reader then is it simply part of the netbook and I don't have to add something extra?? I know, I know, you're wondering if she can even turn it on :D, thanks for being patient with me. I'm planning to devote the next few months to purchasing one and really learning how to use it, particularly for pictures.

Thanks, Sue

Don't stress about the card reader. Every netbook I have seen comes with one built in. If not, one can be bought for less than $10.00 that will plug into the built in USB port that will be there. Acer, MSI, Asus, Dell are all good choices. I have a MSI Wind that I have used a lot without any problem on a couple of ships and taken with me via air to several countries. If I were buying I would look for a 10 inch screen, and a harddrive that was at least 40 GB minimum (larger the better) Some netbooks have 8.9 screen. Too small IMHO. Some have harddrives as small as 6 GB. Too small for most users IMHO. I would also want Windows XP unless you are a seasoned computer user.

If I can answer any individual questians email me at drjpreston at juno.com I will be happy to help you in any way that I can. The only dissadvantage of the netbooks is that if you are typeing for long periods (6 to 8 hours a day) you will most likely be happier with a larger screen and keyboard. The size, weight, price, and durability makes the Netbook a perfect choice for the average traveler or student at college. Rumers have it, that ATT before long is to offer them free wth a two year wireless plan (about $60 per month). I connect mine now to my Blackberry and have service whereever I am at.

DH is also looking at a Asus for me.

Just used an Asus for 32 days on the Diamond in the cabin worked flawlesly.

Warninng for Asia cruisers if you think you can buy them cheaper in Asia etc. bought mine in USA for $293.00 talked to several people on board that bought them in Asia they paid from$450-500 US dollars for the same model, same goes for cameras know your prices.

they are pretty good, but only for internet and other small applications, so keep that in mind.

Not so. My netbook can do everything your laptop can do. You can even plug a USB CD/DVD drive into it. The earlier netbooks weren't as feature laden as the new ones...but many are mini laptops now.

I have an Asus Eee Pc. It rocks! It's one of the highest rated netbooks.

I brought this on EMERALD PRINCESS and it worked outstanding. We had a cabin near the back of the ship, and internet worked really good in the cabin. It also worked great on the balcony outside. It worked on the top deck at the bar, and everywhere else I tried.

The keyboard is not much smaller on my 10" than a normal laptop.

I use a mouse...because I don't like touchpads.

The Acer Aspire One is very popular, and very good as well. I bought my wife one, and my daughter one and they love them.

You can upgrade to 2MB RAM...but it really isn't necessary. I run all sorts of things at the same time without much slow down.

Netbooks and cruising? Two thumbs way up!

I checked Newegg, and my Asus has been shipped, so might just have it in time for my trip next week, as I paid a few $$s extra for 2 day shipping. I am sure I will be getting a wireless mouse for it, as I don't like using a touchpad either.

If it gets here in time, then all I will have to do is figure out how to get it to work with my Verizon wireless modem. When I got my laptop, my DSIL, who was visiting from another state, set everything up for me. This time I'm on my own, or in a pinch, I guess I will have to call him for a phone consultation.

I agree a netbook does everything most people use a laptop for on vacation.

The processor and RAM of all netbooks are underpowered compared to laptops. That's an issue if you want to run multiple applications at the same time. A big issue if you want to edit video or audio. Definitely an issue if you want to re-encode video so you can play it on an I-Pod. Some people claim netbooks don't have enough resources to play HD media.

Netbooks don't have enough power to run Vista, Microsoft acknowledged as much when they changed their policy and allowed XP to be loaded on currently shipped netbooks.

Not so. My netbook can do everything your laptop can do. You can even plug a USB CD/DVD drive into it. The earlier netbooks weren't as feature laden as the new ones...but many are mini laptops now.

I have an Asus Eee Pc. It rocks! It's one of the highest rated netbooks.

I brought this on EMERALD PRINCESS and it worked outstanding. We had a cabin near the back of the ship, and internet worked really good in the cabin. It also worked great on the balcony outside. It worked on the top deck at the bar, and everywhere else I tried.

The keyboard is not much smaller on my 10" than a normal laptop.

I use a mouse...because I don't like touchpads.

The Acer Aspire One is very popular, and very good as well. I bought my wife one, and my daughter one and they love them.

You can upgrade to 2MB RAM...but it really isn't necessary. I run all sorts of things at the same time without much slow down.

Netbooks and cruising? Two thumbs way up!

The lack of Vista doesn't concern me. I have Vista on my laptop, and XP on my desktop. The Asus I ordered has XP, and I think that's great because I am already familiar with it.

I was fully aware of the limitations of the netbooks when I ordered mine. I'm going to be using it for basic stuff, specifically email and downloading photos from my camera while traveling. That's all I was really looking for one to do, considering that I have 2 other computers. And I'm thrilled that it is small and lightweight, for travel. I've taken my laptop when traveling a few times, but it's too heavy to be convenient for me.

My netbook should arrive sometime tomorrow, and I can't wait to start prepping it for travel, since I'm leaving on a short trip early next week.

The lack of Vista doesn't concern me. I have Vista on my laptop, and XP on my desktop. The Asus I ordered has XP, and I think that's great because I am already familiar with it.

I was fully aware of the limitations of the netbooks when I ordered mine. I'm going to be using it for basic stuff, specifically email and downloading photos from my camera while traveling. That's all I was really looking for one to do, considering that I have 2 other computers. And I'm thrilled that it is small and lightweight, for travel. I've taken my laptop when traveling a few times, but it's too heavy to be convenient for me.

My netbook should arrive sometime tomorrow, and I can't wait to start prepping it for travel, since I'm leaving on a short trip early next week.

And I have the reverse. XP on laptop; Vista on desktop. I believe that Vista is on its way out soon anyway.

And I have the reverse. XP on laptop; Vista on desktop. I believe that Vista is on its way out soon anyway.

One can only hope! XP is so much easier to use than Vista.

For those using Asus eee, which processor does yours have? I'm still looking.

One can only hope! XP is so much easier to use than Vista.

For those using Asus eee, which processor does yours have? I'm still looking.

I've been using Vista for two years and have never had any difficulty. I hear grumblings about it, but I don't have a clue as to what they find difficult.

Archived