Netbooks on Princess

KansasScrapper

Netbooks can have all the same things as a laptop with the exception of a CD/DVD drive. No room for one of those. So if you can live without the CD/DVD drive I'd say go for it. You can buy an external drive if you want. That would help to install your programs. Be sure you get one with a large enough hard drive.

Every review I've read says the HP has the best keyboard. Many of the reviews aren't very honest. They'll compare a 3 cell netebook from one mfg with a 6 cell netbook from another. They give a black mark for poor batttery time to the 3 cell unit. Most of the review difference are the result of comparing models with different features.

There is a problem, not sure if it's solved, with some of the MSI netbooks. The unit doesn't seem to fully charge a 6 cell battery so battery life isn't what it should be.

Some units let you expand memory to 2 Gig others won't.

Buy some flash drives to do backup or load programs. They are very inexpensive now.

I use a 16GB SD card for this. I keep all the important files on it instead of on the hard drive so if the netbook gets lost/stolen, it will not have personal data on it.

(Of course, I must take care not to lose the small SD card.)

Do any of you put your photos on it?

Yes, we do use it to load pictures while on a cruise. Allows us to see the pictures better than on the camera and provides a backup to the camera memory card(s). Also, as time permits, allows the labeling of the pictures while still remembering what they are of.

I purchased an Acer One, mid Dec last year. It has been on 3 cruises and done very well. 160 gig hard drive, so lots of room to download all pictures...label, and do some deleting time permitting.

Great for email, first two cruises could not get wireless in cabin, had to go to plaza deck. But on the last Sapphire had wireless in the cabin. Worked great.

And it fits in my purse. When we get home, transfer all pictures via a flash drive to the bigger computer.

I bought my netbook so I would not have to travel with my full size notebook. It has too much expensive software for me to want to travel with it now. Not to mention it is a lot bigger and heavier. I use my netbook on almost a daily basis even having a full size notebook. In fact I am using it right now.

I have an HP Mininote 2133 (no longer available replaced by the 2140) I bought almost a year ago. I have traveled with it a lot and had it on three cruises, two on the CB and one on Ruby. It fits in the cabin safe with no problem. As has been note the keyboard on the HP is really great, one of the selling points for it. This last year all of the other manufaturers have started making theitr keyboards 92% the size of the full size leyboard the way HP has been doing it. Mine has a 9 inch screen but the newer model the 2140 has a 10 inch screen and is still the same size and weight. I have the 6 cell battery pack and it does last for upwards of 4 hours. Battery life is highly dependent on what you are doing. If you do something that uses the hard drive a lot then it will be less, this is true for any notebook of any size.

Mine has 2 Gb of ram and a 120 Gb 7200 rpm hard driave, and it works fine. I have minimal software installed and as has been mention store all personal data on a flash card for security reasons. I consider my Mininote to be expenable in case it get stolen going through securtiy. Yes, the new TSA approved cases make it much easier getting through security. I have had TSA emplyees comment that they wish everyine would use one of those cases.

My recommendation is to find one that you like the keyboard, monitor and that has enough hard drive space for your needs. If speed is important, look for ones with a faster processor speed, they will cost a little more but not that much more.

Based on CC recommendations and my own research, I picked up the Acer Aspire One 10.1" with 160GB HD. I love love LOVE it! I am using it to post this reply. I tuck it in my purse wherever I go. As far as speed, this will depend on the hardware of your computer, not whether it's a laptop or mini. In fact, my Acer is faster than my laptop because it has a newer network card.

Definitely compare hardware and prices before you buy. I was set on a Dell until I did a price comparison, and the Dell was more expensive with fewer features and MUCH less storage. Then I narrowed my search between an Acer and Asus, but the pricing on the Acer couldn't be beat. That was 3 months ago.

You will quickly get used to the smaller keyboard, though I understand that the keyboard on my Acer is a but larger since I got the 10.1" model. I go between my Acer, my laptop, and my office desktop without any problems. Whichever model and brand you go with, I highly recommend getting a 6-cell battery. I have gone over 8 hours on my Acer without recharging! I was basically surfing the Internet and doing email, but even with running Dreamweaver and Office, along with a browser, I can easily get 5-6 hours on one charge.

Hope this helps :)

Maria

I don't really care about the keyboard, I will adjust to it just as I did from my desktop to my laptop. I do want a 10" over an 8" screen. And I want to make sure it has a card reader, 6 cell, 160 hard drive (or close to it) and a 1gig and can be up graded. I noticed some of them you can not upgrade. I also notice some come with 2 or 3 USB ports. I have a laptop so it would not be my main computer, just a good side one.

I have had my Acer Aspire for five months now and LOVE IT!

Travel with it all the time. Love the feel and the processor is just fine with me. Internet speed is totally dependent on the provider... I'm happy to connect in hotels, airports and cruise ships.

As a senior citizen who travels fairly often, I have been thinking of getting a netbook, even though I have a desktop AND a laptop.

I love my laptop, and have taken it with me a few times when traveling, but it is heavy and cumbersome, and a PITA going through airport security, so usually leave it at home. On cruises I go to the internet cafe, but sometimes it's been hard to find a computer available when it's convenient to go there.

I have read all of this thread and now really want to get one. It's just a little hard to justify the expense of another computer when I already have two.

I have read all of this thread and now really want to get one. It's just a little hard to justify the expense of another computer when I already have two.

I have both too, plus my husband has his own desktop as well. To justify the expense, I just say that I deserve it. :D

One of our commuter friends has an Acer. He also uses an external mouse since he doesn't like the touchpad. I'm planning on getting one (or my bosses will get me one) sometime in the Fall or at Christmas. I like the Acer and the Asus looks good. I like the keyboard on the Dell and HP better but, since I'm slower on laptop-type computers anyway and my fingers are slim, the smaller keyboard on the Acer and Asus won't make much difference for me. I like remembering the things we did, who we met, what we ate, etc. on a cruise and this will make it easier for me.

Most brands have multiple models with different features. Some features to consider:

1. Operating system. Most come with Windows XP. A few, particularly refurbished units, come with Linux. Vista is too slow.
  2. Memory. Almost all come with 1 Gig, some can be expanded to 2Gig some can't
  3. Wireless. All come with G, many have models that also support "N" and have blue tooth.
  4. Storage. 160 Gig hard drive is typical. A few have 120 Gig drive and some have SSD (solid state).
  5. Battery--Most are available with either a 3 or 6 cell battery. Some people like to purchase a unit with a 3 cell battery and also purchase a 6 cell battery. You have a backup battery and can use the 3 cell battery when you want lighter carrying weight and/or know you'll have access to AC power.
  6. KEYBOARD is probably the biggest difference between machines. A big difference if you "touch type".

As a senior citizen who travels fairly often, I have been thinking of getting a netbook, even though I have a desktop AND a laptop.

I love my laptop, and have taken it with me a few times when traveling, but it is heavy and cumbersome, and a PITA going through airport security, so usually leave it at home. On cruises I go to the internet cafe, but sometimes it's been hard to find a computer available when it's convenient to go there.

If you travel often it is worth having just for convience. You don't need all of tthe bells and whistles if you have other computers. Like others I would opt for a larger memory card that can be uploaded onto your other computers rather than paying for an upgrade for the mini computer. The memory cards have come down in price. I don't even delete the pictures on the memory card for my camera. I just buy a new card. If my computer crashes I still have the card with the originals. I find myself using the mini at home more than the laptop. I sit on the porch with my coffee or glass of wine and read my emails,posts or food shop online.

Most brands have multiple models with different features. Some features to consider:
  1. Operating system. Most come with Windows XP. A few, particularly refurbished units, come with Linux. Vista is too slow.
  2. Memory. Almost all come with 1 Gig, some can be expanded to 2Gig some can't
  3. Wireless. All come with G, many have models that also support "N" and have blue tooth.
  4. Storage. 160 Gig hard drive is typical. A few have 120 Gig drive and some have SSD (solid state).
  5. Battery--Most are available with either a 3 or 6 cell battery. Some people like to purchase a unit with a 3 cell battery and also purchase a 6 cell battery. You have a backup battery and can use the 3 cell battery when you want lighter carrying weight and/or know you'll have access to AC power.
  6. KEYBOARD is probably the biggest difference between machines. A big difference if you "touch type".

Which is my main concern. I'm an extremely fast typist and need that certain keyboard "feel."

Which is my main concern. I'm an extremely fast typist and need that certain keyboard "feel."

Most reviewers think the HP keyboard is the best. You might consider an external keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Marketing-Partners-FK205-Keyboard/dp/B000UZVL3K

You'd still use the built in keyboard on a plane but could use the folding keyboard the rest of the time.

Most reviewers think the HP keyboard is the best. You might consider an external keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Marketing-Partners-FK205-Keyboard/dp/B000UZVL3K

You'd still use the built in keyboard on a plane but could use the folding keyboard the rest of the time.

LOL. Don't need more stuff. I will be purchasing the HP, but still looking for a sale. I still have until the end of August to do it.

The Acer 10" comes with 1GB of memory but is upgradeable to 2GB for about $25. There is even a video on how to do it. It is a very simple upgrade. I use 4gb flash drives for loading programs and back up. Who needs a dvd drive with the cost of flash drives today. I use a retractable mouse most of the time.

If I recall correctly (and this was five months ago), when I was comparing the Acer to the Asus in the store, the sales person pointed out that the Asus keyboard had several keys in different positions. Namely, the "enter key", (which would totally screw me up when typing!)

I use this "little guy" almost exclusively now for surfing and mailing, but yet my HP laptop has all the important stuff on it (Quicken, contracts, etc). Our photos are ALL duplicated on four computers and various flash drives. I'm a "backup fanatic". :)

Archived