Netbooks on Princess

KansasScrapper

I've just had to do a complete system recovery for the third time on my Vista computer. It keeps 'forgetting' there is a DVD burner. Then there is the problem with not getting clean install and uninstall. That really jams up the works. I'll be delighted to get a netbook with XP!

I run multiple programs on my MSI Wind netbook all the time. I often run Adobe Photoshop, MS Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, a large data base program and search the Web all at the same time as I develop lessons for the college classes I teach.

High-end laptops like most cameras can cost $1000.00 and more. If you are a professional making your living with the camera or laptop, you will probably want to invest in high-end equipment. For the average photographer you can buy a camera for $300 to $500 and that will do everything and more that the average traveler will need. Netbooks selling for $250 to $450 will do everything that the average traveler will want it to do.

In fact netbooks will do what few high end laptops will do. It will weigh less than half the weight, fit in a purse, fit is a ship’s safe, boot up and shut down in half the time. You can watch movies on it on an airplane with the passenger’s seat leaned back in front of you. Try to do that with a normal size laptop. I watch HD movies when traveling all the time. I even get HD TV. My extra 9 cell battery that I bought for $40.00 gives me 8 hours of run time. Add the 6 cell that it came with and I can use it for over 12 hours without a cord.

Coffee pots are the same way. There are many on CC that would never think of lowering themselves to using a MR. Coffee pot to brew coffee in but for the most of us the $30 pot works just fine. BTW if I have a choice I prefer to stay in the Presidential Suite when I cruise. Most of the time I am happy just to have a room with a window.

I've been using Vista for two years and have never had any difficulty. I hear grumblings about it, but I don't have a clue as to what they find difficult.

Same with me Pia. Only problem I have is with my Security Program shutting down Windows Vista. But that has nothing to do with Vista, just the security software I am using.

I thought i would really hate Vista, but it is wonderful!

Same with me Pia. Only problem I have is with my Security Program shutting down Windows Vista. But that has nothing to do with Vista, just the security software I am using.

I thought i would really hate Vista, but it is wonderful!

My husband subscribes to PC magazine and he told me last week that Vista will be obsolete shortly. I don't know what shortly means; 2009, 2010, later? I don't look for bigger and better and as long as the things I want work, I can adapt to anything.

My husband subscribes to PC magazine and he told me last week that Vista will be obsolete shortly. I don't know what shortly means; 2009, 2010, later? I don't look for bigger and better and as long as the things I want work, I can adapt to anything.

I am not suprised. When we purchased a laptop for my son Vista was out about a year. The only problem we had with it was that it wasn't compatible with any of our printers. We tried downloading an upgrade to the printers but upgrades were not available at the time so we had to buy another printer that was Vista compatible. When it was time to buy a new dest top for us we configured it with XP and I insisted that my netbook run with xp. Vista was just a nightmare when it came to installing accessories like camera and mp3 player. It reminds me of the 8 track tapes Sony Batamax recording system that when by the waste side.

I am not suprised. When we purchased a laptop for my son Vista was out about a year. The only problem we had with it was that it wasn't compatible with any of our printers. We tried downloading an upgrade to the printers but upgrades were not available at the time so we had to buy another printer that was Vista compatible. When it was time to buy a new dest top for us we configured it with XP and I insisted that my netbook run with xp. Vista was just a nightmare when it came to installing accessories like camera and mp3 player. It reminds me of the 8 track tapes Sony Batamax recording system that when by the waste side.

We have two HP Photosmart printers (different models) and both were compatible with our Vista desktops, which were bought a year apart.

I love my Acer for travel. I have skype on it so I am able to give a visual tour to folks at home. Have not tried yet in Princess cabin but did it from a mountain cabin and family got a kick out of talking and seeing me enjoying my vacation.

Works well for such things as e-mail and facebook. Cannot beat the price. We now have a desk top, a regular laptop and the netbook and we use all of them.

I have a Dell mini 9 and absolutely love it for travel. I used it on my 20-day HAL cruise in January and my 7-day cruise on the Sapphire in April. Both times, I used it in my cabin. Yes, the keyboard is small but you get used to it. I am able to download and read my mail offline, take all the time in the world to respond, then go online and send. On average, I used about 3 - 4 minutes total per session (including both sign-ons to download and send.) It is light (2.2 lb) and easy to put into my carry-on. It's also much easier to tuck away out of sight in my cabin and even going through airport Security.

I got my daughter one for Christmas and unfortunately, hers died a couple of months later. Dell was out of the mini 9 and sent her the mini 10 as a replacement, which she likes even better. It's a little heavier but the keyboard is better.

Pam,

Could you please tell me how you read mail offline? Thanks! Arlene

What a great thread! Now I know what to ask for on my next birthday ( I always said nothing before ). It will be great for traveling. The regular laptop is always a pain to travel with. Thank you! Thank you for all the info!

I run multiple programs on my MSI Wind netbook all the time. I often run Adobe Photoshop, MS Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, a large data base program and search the Web all at the same time as I develop lessons for the college classes I teach.

High-end laptops like most cameras can cost $1000.00 and more. If you are a professional making your living with the camera or laptop, you will probably want to invest in high-end equipment. For the average photographer you can buy a camera for $300 to $500 and that will do everything and more that the average traveler will need. Netbooks selling for $250 to $450 will do everything that the average traveler will want it to do.

In fact netbooks will do what few high end laptops will do. It will weigh less than half the weight, fit in a purse, fit is a ship’s safe, boot up and shut down in half the time. You can watch movies on it on an airplane with the passenger’s seat leaned back in front of you. Try to do that with a normal size laptop. I watch HD movies when traveling all the time. I even get HD TV. My extra 9 cell battery that I bought for $40.00 gives me 8 hours of run time. Add the 6 cell that it came with and I can use it for over 12 hours without a cord.

I agree with this 100%! :)

I edit video, pics, use MS Office, web, Music....never a problem.

Every person I've ever seen with a laptop...had it plugged in. :eek:

I got my Asus netbook delivered this afternoon, and I LOVE it. The screen is 9 inches, and there is NO problem with that. It is so bright, clear and easy to read. I'm far from knowledgeable about computers, but I had is up and running in a half hour. Probably would have been a shorter time for computer geeks. The introductory program walked me right theough the set-up. I dumped the Norton security program that was offered on it and installed Windows Defender. I sent my first email a half hour after I took it out of the box.

I can see that it will definitely be a great travel buddy. I'm so glad I took your advice, and did it because "I deserve it"!

Pam,

Could you please tell me how you read mail offline? Thanks! Arlene

Arlene, You connect to the internet and to your mail site, let the mail download, and then disconnect and read your mail when you are off line.

If Apple had a 'Net Book' I would be interested in a 'Net Book.' So far there are only rumors that they may come out with a 'touch' screen net-book. I like the idea of a 'Net-Book;' however, they even as small as they are still present a problem going through TSA security points. (I carry my iPod in a fanny pack, which I send through the x-ray machine with no problems.)

In the mean times on my last voyage I used my Apple iPod Touch (2nd Generation) to read and send e-mail. (I composed the messages to send of line.) The device performed flawlessly on the my last voyage on the Star Princess using the WiFi build into it with the ships service.

They were having some problems with the WiFi service from the cabins during our whole cruise (32 Days) except for the next to last day! So, at least I did get to try it from our cabin! It worked good.

Of course, it takes a little getting used to using the digital touch screen on the device to type messages; however, the more you use it the easier it gets. (Typing the messages off line gives one lots of time to do it.)

Of course, Apple iPhones will also work on the ship's WiFi system too. One should not use their regular service (Excessive roaming charges) on an iPhone, I've been told .

Many folks are setting their netbooks up to dual boot. That gives you the choice of running Windows or Apple Mac OX. There are numerous easy "how to" posts on netbook forums. If you are afraid to do it yourself, you can find people who will set yours up to dual boot boot for about $30.00. You can find free copies of Mac software all over the internet but it is better just to buy a legal copy directly from Apple.

I am happy just using Windows XP.

Arlene, You connect to the internet and to your mail site, let the mail download, and then disconnect and read your mail when you are off line.

That works if you are using Outlook Express or MS Outlook where everything is saved to your hard drive - however - if you go to your e mail website (in my case charter) and open your mail it is saved on their website - this way there is no chance losing saved e mails if you crash a hard drive. I don't think you can have it both ways.

Ron

If Apple had a 'Net Book' I would be interested in a 'Net Book.' So far there are only rumors that they may come out with a 'touch' screen net-book. I like the idea of a 'Net-Book;' however, they even as small as they are still present a problem going through TSA security points. (I carry my iPod in a fanny pack, which I send through the x-ray machine with no problems.)

I have a question about the above comment regarding having problems with Netbooks getting through TSA security points. I am also very interested in purchasing a netbook for traveling. It seems many take their netbooks on trips, is it really difficult getting the netbook through security??

Thanks

Linda

That works if you are using Outlook Express or MS Outlook where everything is saved to your hard drive - however - if you go to your e mail website (in my case charter) and open your mail it is saved on their website - this way there is no chance losing saved e mails if you crash a hard drive. I don't think you can have it both ways.

Ron

I don't think so either,I use AOL and couldn't figure it out.Thanks!

I have a question about the above comment regarding having problems with Netbooks getting through TSA security points. I am also very interested in purchasing a netbook for traveling. It seems many take their netbooks on trips, is it really difficult getting the netbook through security??

Thanks

Linda

I can't think it would be any different than a regular laptop. Just have it open for them to look at.

Thanks

Linda

Linda,

I fly two to three times a month. I have had my Netbook since July 2008. I traveled through most major airports in the US and about a dozen airports in foreign countries. I have never, I repeat never had any problem. Because it is light and small it is actually easier when going through security.

The biggest problem I have had at airports is with people wanting to know where they can get one. That recently caused me a little grief when a good looking lady snuggled up next to me to see my netbook. That would have been OK but about that same time my wife came back from getting coffee. I do believe that there should be a warning posted on the netbooks when guys buy them. WARNING: chick magnet! Can be hazardous to your marriage. :D It probably will work for ladies looking for male companionship as well. Good luck...

Thanks Dr J for your help. I just wondered since someone brought that issue up. I have never taken my laptop on a trip when we have flown so did not have personal experience with that. Also, funny story about the "chick magnet" thing;) I will have to let my college son know about that one. haha.

We have been thinking about buying him a netbook. He has a Lenovo ThinkPad now which was provided by Wake. It is a great laptop but very heavy. The netbook would be easier to take to class and to travel with.

Thanks for all of the help!

Linda

Archived