Netbooks on Princess

KansasScrapper

Has/does anyone used/use a netbook on Princess? If so, how did it work? What brand do you have/use?

If you're getting a signal, won't matter whether you're using a netbook or a laptop. I loved using my laptop in my cabin on the Ruby and I am currently in the market for a netbook so that I can travel with less weight.

I have an Acer that I just purchased for upcoming cruise, normally I take my laptop but so much lugging is tiresome, this one I can pop in my handbag. I've been using this little one now for 3 months and its much slower than my macbook but then the price was only $250 at discount store.

I think the prices are going down even more now but I have several pc's and macs and I think the Acer is a good brand.

If you plan to upload photos to the netbook, make sure your hard drive is at least 80gig, my Acer is 160 and works just fine for traveling. Its wifi ready.

I think that the one that we have is an Eee. It weighs slightly over 2 pounds, and easily slips into a tote bag or carry on (instead of being the carry on). I used mine in China where free wireless is pretty common. I was able to speak with my husband twice a day through the Skype feature. We never paid a cent for long distance phone calls. We will take ours to Alaska this summer, so that we can talk with family from home everyday.

Has/does anyone used/use a netbook on Princess? If so, how did it work? What brand do you have/use?
I have a Dell mini 9 and absolutely love it for travel. I used it on my 20-day HAL cruise in January and my 7-day cruise on the Sapphire in April. Both times, I used it in my cabin. Yes, the keyboard is small but you get used to it. I am able to download and read my mail offline, take all the time in the world to respond, then go online and send. On average, I used about 3 - 4 minutes total per session (including both sign-ons to download and send.) It is light (2.2 lb) and easy to put into my carry-on. It's also much easier to tuck away out of sight in my cabin and even going through airport Security.

I got my daughter one for Christmas and unfortunately, hers died a couple of months later. Dell was out of the mini 9 and sent her the mini 10 as a replacement, which she likes even better. It's a little heavier but the keyboard is better.

I used my Dell mini which I purchased for the curise we took last month. It was easy to carry. Fits in my small back pack and the room safe. The wifi worked geat in our room on the Caribbean Princess. We used it mostly to communicate with the kids but my wife also checked work emails. It does take time getting use to typing on such a small keyboard. It also took some getting use to typing on my blackberry and now I can even post on that. I had looked at the Acer and was about to buy it until I got a promo email from Dell. The Dell turned out to be less money at the time and I was able to build it to my own specs.

I've also got an Acer Aspire One, and took it on the Royal Princess last December. Most of the time I got a good wireless signal in the cabin, and composed e-mails and then went online to send them. Likewise went online to receive e-mails and read them at my leisure. I also uploaded photos and video, and kept a diary of the cruise. It was great - it weighs so little and takes up so little room. You do get used to the keyboard.

I have a 10" Acer Aspire One. I love it. The battery life is 5-6 hours. The keyboard is a little bigger than the 8" models. I have adjusted to the keyboard with no problems. I use a retractable mouse with it and that works better than the touchpad. Buy some flash drives to do backup or load programs. They are very inexpensive now.

I went into Best Buy and looked at the Acer, Asus, HP and Dell. The keyboards are all different and for me, the touch on the HP is best. I thought perhaps they would be on sale this weekend for Father's Day, but no such luck. So I will pay whatever it is and buy the one that feels right for me. I think it's $298 for the 8.9" and $349 for the 10.2". Weight is approx. 2 1/2 lbs.

I have an HP mini, in fact I'm on it right now. I took it on my January Ruby cruise and it was great, weighs a little over 1 lb, fits easily in my purse or carry on and also was an easy fit in my cabin safe. Personally, I don't find the keyboard to be a big issue. I love carrying it around the house because it's so darned light--- that way, I have it close by if I need it. Of course, I use my regular desktop too, and that's where I download music and work with my pictures and pay bills---- not sure if a netbook would work as your only computer.

I have the HP mini and love it. It has the best keyboard, 92% of regular size and weighs only 2.5 pounds. If you buy the TSA approved case you don't even have to take it out of your bag for airport security. It does fit in the cabin safe. The only downside is it doesn't have a CD drive but you can purchase an external drive if you need it. It is great for downloading pictures when on a cruise, keeping track of your flights, tours etc., and emailing home.

I have the HP mini and love it. It has the best keyboard, 92% of regular size and weighs only 2.5 pounds. If you buy the TSA approved case you don't even have to take it out of your bag for airport security. It does fit in the cabin safe. The only downside is it doesn't have a CD drive but you can purchase an external drive if you need it. It is great for downloading pictures when on a cruise, keeping track of your flights, tours etc., and emailing home.

Carolyn, since I've already decided to buy the HP, which model do you have?

After doing a LOT of research it is saying the best one is the Asus. I want it for school not only for travel. I know some of them you can not up grade the memory. It seems that you are all happy with the one you got. I to was hoping to go to Best Buy this weekend and get one but no sales or offers.:(

After doing a LOT of research it is saying the best one is the Asus. I want it for school not only for travel. I know some of them you can not up grade the memory. It seems that you are all happy with the one you got. I to was hoping to go to Best Buy this weekend and get one but no sales or offers.:(

I did some research too and yes, Asus is on top. However, the keyboard way too tiny for me. The touch just doesn't feel right.

Thanks to all for the great info. What is the cost to use your own laptop/mini in your room?

Same price as in the internet cafe. You can buy 150 minutes for $75, larger packages for more money, or pay 75 cents per minute. Your choice.

Archived