Pride 6/13/09 Review with photos

cyntil8ing

You have gotten me soooooooooooooo excited.

We go with our family on July 31.

The pictures were all wonderful ( you have a great eye) but the

best were of Camp Carnival. Our grandaughters are 9 and 11 and they are

a little nervous about this. It will be good for them to see what it looks like.

You have a wonderful family!

Thanks again

Connie

Great review! We were on the Pride the week before you, we were probably some of the passengers getting off as you arrived, we didn't leave until about 11:30 a.m.

We too wondered about the hands in the windows on the bridge, we asked one of the officers during our cruise. He said they represent waving good bye when the Pride left the West Coast.

thanks for sharing your review and pics....I so want to go back.

Maria

Thank you for your great review! I have questions about how people dressed. I have never been on Carnival before and I understand the dress code is more relaxed. Were most men in suits on formal night. Did people really wear shorts in the MDR? That was never allowed on other cruise ships, they always said dress like you would for a nice restaurant at home and men wear long pants in nice restaurants. Did you see anyone turned away men in tank tops, women in short-shorts, etc? I prefer capris to shorts anyway and doubt DH would feel comfortale coming into the MDR in shorts but I would like to know how dressed up people got for formal nights and how casual they allowed for the other nights. Thanks!

Hi Janis :D

From all that I've been reading, guys can wear nice shorts in the DR. My guys have a lot of those plaid shorts that aren't too short (from Aeropostale and Am Eagle) that I'm gonna let them wear with a golf shirt and casual shoes. I'm planning on capris for me. For formal nights I think we might still bring their suits, but not sure yet. Maybe I'll wait till you get back so you can let me know what everyone wore on formal nights ;)

I was wondering about the dress code as well. Formal night did not look as formal as I am used to with Royal Caribbean. Is that the norm for Carnival? Maybe I should just bring my little black dress for formal night and crop pants and tops for casual nights.

Thank you for your great review! I have questions about how people dressed. I have never been on Carnival before and I understand the dress code is more relaxed. Were most men in suits on formal night. Did people really wear shorts in the MDR? That was never allowed on other cruise ships, they always said dress like you would for a nice restaurant at home and men wear long pants in nice restaurants. Did you see anyone turned away men in tank tops, women in short-shorts, etc? I prefer capris to shorts anyway and doubt DH would feel comfortale coming into the MDR in shorts but I would like to know how dressed up people got for formal nights and how casual they allowed for the other nights. Thanks!

I did not see many men in suits on formal night, though there were some. There were also a few tuxes. Slacks and polos were more common. But, my men (husband and son) were dressed up. Dress for men on the other nights was really about the same.

I didn't notice any shorts and tank tops, but that doesn't mean they weren't there; I just don't pay much attention. I assume I would have noticed anything truly out of the norm. I never noticed anyone turned away.

Honestly, wear what you want and feel comfortable in. You will not be the only ones dressed that way, nor will you attract attention (unless you dress your three year old in a tuxedo, then you will draw LOTS of attention! ;))

I've read that birth certificates and photos ids (for adults) are sufficient, but don't know for sure so I wouldn't want to answer.

We travel with passports. Our son was internationally adopted so out of caution, we think he should always have a valid US passport.

I have to comment, and my husband would die from embarassment I'm sure, but where was your son adopted from? My DS (6 y/o) is from Guatemala. I can see some similarities. :)

When we went on the Freedom this year, we rushed his citizenship paperwork. But I believe that we travelled with both a Guatemalan passport AND his US passport. Call us overdone. :)

Thanks Cindy. Polo shirts on formal night? I wonder what those guys wore on casual night?:confused: That's the norm on other ships on casual night. Maybe DH will just do dress shirt & tie and not carry the suit. Jen, would Tony wear shorts to the MDR? Maybe Steve will the 1st night, when anything goes because people haven't recieved their luggage yet.;)

My DBF and I are going on the Pride in Sept. for our first cruise. Just curious but we signed up for the early dinner (6:00pm). Since we leave at 5:30pm do they still serve dinner a half hour later or is dinner alittle different the first night? I would like to see the ship going under the bridges this is why I am curious. Thanks

Janis,

Other than the first night, I think Tony would probably wear dockers with a short sleeved button-down, but I'm thinking of leaving the suits at home so what would he wear on formal night then? :confused: I'm sure the kids will want to wear nice shorts so they don't have to change after dinner :rolleyes: I plan to be more laid back on this cruise so whatever they want to do is fine with me...I'm just happy that my Christmas shopping is done and it's only June...lol

Hi! We just got back from the 6/13 sailing, too, and I will try to get a review posted as soon as I can. I'm still waiting to stop feeling the swaying/rocking feeling.:) We did see the kids dancing at the past guest party, and thought they were so cute!

But I wanted to answer a few of the posters' questions, because I know how anxious I was to get all the info I could before our cruise.

The water did taste funny--but it was drinkable. The water from the bathroom sink or the water fountains was not good at all, but the ice water at dinner , or from the machines on Lido was okay, and we would try to get a cup to bring back down to the room. Also, let the ice in teh ice bucket melt, and drink that in the room.

1st night dinner was open seating. You could go at either time--I think 5:45 or 8:00. We were full from our late lunch/snack when we got on board, so we went to the later time. You just walk in and they seat you where they have room. The other nights you go to your assigned time and table.

Dress in the main dining room was VERY casual. I preferred to dress up a little--I feel like you are going to a nice dinner and dressing up makes it feel more special. I didn't notice exactly what everyone was wearing or if people got turned away, but it was definitely laid back--capris, etc. It didn't detract from the experience or anything. The service was good and food excellent, but I felt way more dressed up than other people, and I was just wearing things like a sundress or light sweater with a skirt. On formal nights everyone was more dressed up, and some very elegant, but most people definitely took them up on the cruise casual dress code other nights.

I know the OP had an excursion planned and didn't go due to weather, but I would certainly venture beyond the cruise terminal area at Freeport. We had a great taxi shuttle driver--Harold--who gave us a little tour, and we shopped a little in Lucaya, and went on our snorkeling excursion with Captain Tony--very good!--then Harold picked us up again for a little more tour. So, don't think that all there is to Freeport is right there. That is true for all ports--I read so many posts saying "there is nothing at ___, so don't bother," and there usually is so much to do and see everywhere, if you just spend a little time researching and venture a little past the Carnival approved shops, etc.

Anyway, hope that helps some, and I will try to post again later this week with more of a review.

Planning our next cruise . . .

1st night dinner was open seating. You could go at either time--I think 5:45 or 8:00. We were full from our late lunch/snack when we got on board, so we went to the later time. You just walk in and they seat you where they have room. The other nights you go to your assigned time and table.

I have yet to read this on any other review; I wonder why first night is open seating? Maybe because they leave port so late?:rolleyes:

...We brought four bottles with us, but forgot to take one with us the first night.

Do they have a corkage fee... I'd assume so.. What is the cost?

Also, does Carnival "allow" you to bring wine on board?

TIA

Archived