Free Cruise with Destiny Vacations?????

Sailgal05

Has anyone received a free cruise from a Tampa based company named Destiny Vacations? Our first class postcard announced we have been selected to receive a free 4 night/5 day for 2 on Carnival or RCCL. All we have to do is pay govn't taxes, port taxes and applicable fees that may apply. They are opening a branch in our area and we have the typical 90 min "spiel". They say this is not a timeshare or land sale offer, but that their company arranges travel, ie: travel agent? This cruise is your basic, inside, 4 ports to choose from. Anyone out there know what the "catch" is? Do we start packing our bags????:rolleyes:

Much appreciation in advance.

Has anyone received a free cruise from a Tampa based company named Destiny Vacations? Our first class postcard announced we have been selected to receive a free 4 night/5 day for 2 on Carnival or RCCL. All we have to do is pay govn't taxes, port taxes and applicable fees that may apply. They are opening a branch in our area and we have the typical 90 min "spiel". They say this is not a timeshare or land sale offer, but that their company arranges travel, ie: travel agent? This cruise is your basic, inside, 4 ports to choose from. Anyone out there know what the "catch" is? Do we start packing our bags????:rolleyes:

The sales spiel is of course part of the "catch". And by the time you are billed for what they'll call "government taxes, port taxes and applicable fees" -- you'll like find that you can book your own cruise for the same price...or even less .. than what you'd pay for this. And be able to enjoy it without the sales pitch. There is very little truly "free" to be had, these days.

Yes, they will probably attempt to get you to buy their package of vacations whch they say will be much cheaper than any you could get thru other outlets. The catch is the large up front fee and of course the price is only good today.

As to the cruise, as Uppitycats said, the fees, taxes, port charges, etc. will likely be about what you could book the cruise for without putting up with the spiel.

Yeah, I know, you don't get anything for nuth'n, but it will be interesting to attend. We're going tonight and I'll report on our findings. I've done my homework and know what prices are going for.

Just got back from our meeting about the free cruise. Sounds like we'll pursue it. These are the guidelines: trip must be 90 days advance notice, $50 registration activation fee, cabins are entry-level interior, (can upgrade with more $$$) and there is limited availability out of Galveston. We can try trips out of FL if we wish.

They were selling their ability to buy travel and cut out the middle-man. Trips were cruises, condos, airfare and resorts all over the world. If a trip purchased on the internet was $2000, their "discounted, bulk" price would be about $1000. All they wanted was $8995 !!! and that paid for life, along with $179/yr. After saying no, the final price dropped to $1995!!!! Did we jump on it???? NO. Guess if we wanted to travel all the time, had tons of money, it may have been a deal.

Well anyway, will inform if we get to sail-away.

Hopefully, more to come.

Just got back from our meeting about the free cruise. Sounds like we'll pursue it. These are the guidelines: trip must be 90 days advance notice, $50 registration activation fee, cabins are entry-level interior, (can upgrade with more $$$) and there is limited availability out of Galveston. We can try trips out of FL if we wish.

They were selling their ability to buy travel and cut out the middle-man. Trips were cruises, condos, airfare and resorts all over the world. If a trip purchased on the internet was $2000, their "discounted, bulk" price would be about $1000. All they wanted was $8995 !!! and that paid for life, along with $179/yr. After saying no, the final price dropped to $1995!!!! Did we jump on it???? NO. Guess if we wanted to travel all the time, had tons of money, it may have been a deal.

Well anyway, will inform if we get to sail-away.

Hopefully, more to come.

The problem with companies like this is if they say you can travel for the set fee for life, it generally is for the life of the company...if they went belly up next year... it would be a short life of travel for you since they would be gone....with your money...

I just wonder if there are even more catches. For example, if you call to book cruise X on a specific date, they will "check" and come back with a "that date is sold out."

IMO, I would just skip them and just go with an established TA that doesn't charge any special fees. One that will try to satisfy you with the idea of you throwing more business their way.

Besides, if you want to go on a cruise this summer, you might be able to get an excellent deal on your own. There are some cruises that are being discounted by a huge percentage.

And now for the rest of the story.........Read all the fine print on the brochure we were given. Then saw they had web site and saw our "free" trip strings. I had already known what a 4 day cruise was going to cost if we purchased on our own and what all taxes would be from Galveston. This is their answer from the web site: vacationpassportfaq.com

"Q: What is the cost for the cruise?

A: You are responsible for $199 per person port charges, taxes, government fees, and processing for the three night cruise; $249 per person port charges, taxes, government fees, and processing for the four night cruise. Galveston cruises have an addition $40 per person port surcharge. Traveling during high or peak season will incur additional peak season charge. Fuel supplement may be additional. "

By the time I calculated the costs, it was $730.95 for our free trip! So, yes buyer beware, and don't waste your time with Destiny Vacations, PTS Travel and RCI. I thank all the responses here, I knew you could slap me back into reality. :eek:

I have 5 certificates for "FREE" Las Vegas/Los Angeles/Carmel, etc. etc vacations. Got them at a time share presentation (we went so I could have dinner at a new restaurant in Scottsdale). The MINIMUM price for taxes, fees, etc. was $239.00 for two. And that got you the Travelodge on the Strip. There's ALWAYS a catch (although the dinner was free and good).

Nothing in life is free, as others said. I've gone to a vacation club presentation before, they ware more fishy then timeshare ones :D

Yes they do offer promos, but they come with all sorts of exclusions and limitations and additional fees. If you are looking for a vacation to a certain place at a certain time forget it. If you don't care for when, where you go and want the cheapest deal for that cruise, likely they can get it for you.

Lastly these vacation clubs are a scam, the only real angle they offer is dirt cheap last minute Timeshare rentals. But these are such short notice stuff that unless again you are retired and can go anytime it isn't worth it. If you are looking for peak time vacations forget it, they don't offer a cheaper deal then your local big wherehouse travel agent, actually they are a bit more after you add their annual fees and buyin fees.

Like I said nothing is free, you are paying for your deal one way or another.

Has any one ever heard of "YOUR TRAVEL HEADQUARTERS". It sounds an aweful lot like

Destiny Vacations. If that's the case then all I can say is *@#^!

Anyone know of a good online angency to book with? I've been looking at some rates and thinking about a trip for the end of August, but I don't want to get scammed.

TIA!

Can't mention any by name but the wholesale clubs (if you are a member) are a good place to start.

I can't believe that we almost fell for this. Just dangle a free cruise and I temporarily lost my common sense! Oh well, will have to cruise the old fashion way......save up.

Again, thanks for all the info. I would be curious if anyone out there ever did get a free cruise and the experiences they had.

I can't believe that we almost fell for this. Just dangle a free cruise and I temporarily lost my common sense! Oh well, will have to cruise the old fashion way......save up.

Again, thanks for all the info. I would be curious if anyone out there ever did get a free cruise and the experiences they had.

YES, you can get the "FREE" cruise. But you will generally pay as much in taxes and fees for the "FREE" cruise as you will spend booking a cruise at a large online agency. And you KNEW about the taxes and fees up front, so I really don't understand the question.

I can see quite a few 4 night sailings from Galveston for about the same price as "taxes and fees" for your "FREE" cruise. AND you get to pick your date and cabin. Why would you even take the chance? What is going to be available to you "FREE" is the lowest category inside cabin on a sailing that is NOT selling well. You will NOT go at Xmas, Thanksgiving, President's Week or any other prime time sailing.

These certificates/"free" vacations offered by vacation clubs/timeshares are booked about the same way consolidator tickets are for cruise air. They make deals with the cruise lines on contract a year in advance. "We will pay you a heavily discounted rate to take cabins on a low selling cruise off your hands". What they don't know is WHICH cruise a year in advance. Luck of the draw if there are cabins available under the discount contract for a particular sailing.

I called once about my certificates for a quickie trip to Vegas. Yes, the accommodation and food was "FREE" AFTER I paid the taxes and fees. But I could only use them on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday on the 5th Friday of the 14th month (I shouldn't exaggerate). Yes, the package was available for VERY limited days. The taxes and fees were more expensive than booking a much better hotel myself and paying for my own food. And by paying for my own accommodations, I could PICK the days I wanted-didn't have to depend on what was AVAILABLE via the cert. NOTHING FREE about it. Same thing with your cruise.

YES, you can get the "FREE" cruise. But you will generally pay as much in taxes and fees for the "FREE" cruise as you will spend booking a cruise at a large online agency. And you KNEW about the taxes and fees up front, so I really don't understand the question.

Perhaps their wording should be discounted,or almost free cruise. "Hello, you won an almost free cruise".:rolleyes: Seriously, I was just wondering if anyone just got a free cruise with nothing to pay except their OB charges?

I guess what floored me was the extreme, outlandish fees this company was tacking on. This time of the year Galveston 4 day cruises are high, (perhaps because of families having the time with school out). When looking online at the degree of prices available the highest was $669 down to $259/pp/interior. The taxes and fees only amounted to a total of $42.98 for both of us. That's a range of $1380.98 to $566.98, and if you have the upfront costs of $730.95, then why would anyone jump at this deal? Also, the extra $40/pp for Galveston & Tampa had me wondering for what? We were willing to pay perhaps a little above the true taxes and fees, but not what they required. We are fortunate to live close to port and work for ourselves making a sudden cruise possible.

One interesting fact I found while searching for taxes and fees, was the various difference from Texas to the many ports in Florida. Something I will definitely keep in mind for future, (I hope), cruises.

We went on a "Free Cruise" through Spirit Travel in April. It was a 4 day out of Port C. with RCI. It cost us about $375 in up front fees, but we ended up getting an $80 fuel charge refund to our on board account. Pretty good deal for us. Everything went good, but you have to be very careful and pay attention to the fine print. If you miss filling out one form or get anything postmarked after a certain date you can void the trip with no refund :eek:. Only bad things were that we were not allowed to upgrade or change anything (we had the very front inside cabin) and we had to spend a whole day dealing with the timeshare pitch, similar to what you described....didnt buy anything. Still worth it for me. :)

I get phone calls all the time that start out "Congratulations you just won a..." at that point I hang up. I've never waited to hear what I've won. Nothing is ever free. I know it'll end up costing me more than just buying what I want in the end. The letters & post cards go in the trash (oops, I meant recycle bin, I don't want to start something).

If you get a "prize" & you're happy with it, then great. Me, I'll just let them give my "prize" to some other poor unsuspecting person.

I went on a free cruise in January out of Fort Lauderdale. It was on the Regal Empress though. We were only responsible for our onboard charges. It was a two night to the Bahamas.

I was surprised to find that many people were hosed on this free cruise deal though. Many people on the boat had been charged $1100 for the same cruise. I would not have been a happy camper if I fell for that one because the ac didn't work on the boat. Even in Jan, that's miserable. Our onboard was $62.00 (limo tour in Nassau).

I went on a free cruise in January out of Fort Lauderdale. It was on the Regal Empress though. We were only responsible for our onboard charges. It was a two night to the Bahamas.

I was surprised to find that many people were hosed on this free cruise deal though. Many people on the boat had been charged $1100 for the same cruise. I would not have been a happy camper if I fell for that one because the ac didn't work on the boat. Even in Jan, that's miserable. Our onboard was $62.00 (limo tour in Nassau).

I'm curious Rednose83, what you had to do to get your free cruise? And others paid $1100 for 2 nights?! Wow

I'm curious Rednose83, what you had to do to get your free cruise? And others paid $1100 for 2 nights?! Wow

We walked in a hotel to rent a room and they were like "do you wanna go on a cruise instead?" I was like sure. So, the lady handed me a voucher from the company and off we went. We walked down to the port and boarded at noon. Had to fill out some paperwork bc we obviously didn't register online and I don't think that was even offered.

I'm not sure what everyone else did to get on the cruise. lol

I think the $1100 was what people got screwed out of.

Archived