Flaam Train- Book through Ship or On Own?

Rbel4

We are tying to decide whether to book our Flaam train excursion through the ship for $250 for the two of us and guaranty aspace on the train.... or try to book on our own once we arrive for only $71 and take our chances of being able to get tickets at the Flaam train station. We arrive in Flaam on July 16 on the Crown Princess at 7:30 AM at the dock. The only other ship arriving in Flaam that day is the Queen Victoria which arrives at 8 AM and anchors. We would try to be the fist get off the ship in the morning in order to attempt to buy tickets for the first train departing Flaam at 8:32 AM.

Any suggestions on whether to take our chances and buy tickets once we are in Flaam or buy in advance through the ship? Do the cruise ships buy all available tickets on the train or does the train station hold a number of tickets for walk up purchases? Does anyone know how many people each train holds?

Thanks

Perhaps I can help with your dilemna. We will be on the QV arriving at 8:00 a.m. on the 16th.

I have checked the ship tours and the 1st tour departs at 9:45 from the ship, the next two for the Railway depart at 11 and 12:20. I am planning on doing the Railway on our own, hopefully getting our tickets before 9:00 a.m. The cost for each of us on the ship tour, for the 11 or 12:20 tour would be $99.00 each

Perhaps our paths will cross

Lorraine

Simple Answer - book through your ship. While you can take a chance and try to get tickets independently, you're running a risk of losing out.

When we were last there, the QE II was in and the crowds were amazing. We had booked our tours earlier through our cruise company, but had to tender in as Cunard took up all the dock space. Because we had reserved space, we were lead directly to the train where Oceania had reserved cars already to be boarded.

I presume those who chose to try for tickets on their own were left to fight over what was left.

When we went to Flamm we arranged a independent booking with 8 of us which was the min number at the time. You can do this online and also you get reserved seats on the train. Ask folk on your roll call if they want to join you.Its no problem at all and you board the train before the ships tours. The only thing you need to allow time for is to queue to pick up the tickets from the booking office.

When we went to Flamm we arranged a independent booking with 8 of us which was the min number at the time. You can do this online and also you get reserved seats on the train. Ask folk on your roll call if they want to join you.Its no problem at all and you board the train before the ships tours. The only thing you need to allow time for is to queue to pick up the tickets from the booking office.

I would agree with the above - we did this Summer 2007. WE prebooked the tickets online having found others to join us. It was very easy to do - -e-mailed in English with no problem. However, there was quite a sustantial queue to collect the tickets - there is no seperate queue for pre-booked tickets so you have to wait with all those trying to buy on the day. It was very easy and we had a reserved coach! Others near us in the queue did not get tickets so I would strongly recommend you do not wait and try to buy on the day. When you get to the top there is very little to see or do unless you are prepared to hike about for a while so you can really just book the same train returning.

When we were in Flam in May, the Eurodam arrived several hours after the Costa Atlantica, and we tendered. Even then, we were able to purchase tickets at the station, but the line was long - very long and very slow. One gentleman on our cruise had an idea that I wish I had thought of - we had visited Oslo several days before, and he went to the Oslo train station and bought tickets for the Flam train for the day we visited Flam. Smart thinking!

When we were in Flam in May, the Eurodam arrived several hours after the Costa Atlantica, and we tendered. Even then, we were able to purchase tickets at the station, but the line was long - very long and very slow. One gentleman on our cruise had an idea that I wish I had thought of - we had visited Oslo several days before, and he went to the Oslo train station and bought tickets for the Flam train for the day we visited Flam. Smart thinking!

MsSteinrunner- Excellent Idea about buying Flam ticket from another train station in Norway. Does it have to be Olso, or can it be any Norway city? Our first port on the cruise is Stevanger. Can we buy Flam tickets there?

• 1 month later...
MsSteinrunner- Excellent Idea about buying Flam ticket from another train station in Norway. Does it have to be Olso, or can it be any Norway city? Our first port on the cruise is Stevanger. Can we buy Flam tickets there?

Fellow passengers bought ahead at Bergen tourist office - but Alesund couldn't provide the service.

• 2 weeks later...

Did check the Flam railway website and then I went to the national Norway rail site at

http://www.nsb.no

It appears that they are allowing bookings on this rail line about 2-3 months ahead. It didn't seem to allow the pick-up of purchased tickets other than at this one Flam station. On our planned July 1-16 Norway Coast cruise on Silversea, we would be there July 3 after departing from Copenhagen. So we we won't be stopping prior in Bergen or at any other Norway cities.

Any reasons why the tickets through the national rail site would not work? The cost through this site seems to be about 460 NOK or $76 roundtrip. For seniors, there would be a 9% discount, per the website. Any idea on what age is considered to be seniors for their rail system? Age 60? Age 65? Or, older?

Added reactions and suggestions on these Flam-Myrdal options?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did check the Flam railway website and then I went to the national Norway rail site at

www.nsb.no

It appears that they are allowing bookings on this rail line about 2-3 months ahead. It didn't seem to allow the pick-up of purchased tickets other than at this one Flam station. On our planned July 1-16 Norway Coast cruise on Silversea, we would be there July 3 after departing from Copenhagen. So we we won't be stopping prior in Bergen or at any other Norway cities.

Any reasons why the tickets through the national rail site would not work? The cost through this site seems to be about 460 NOK or $76 roundtrip. For seniors, there would be a 9% discount, per the website. Any idea on what age is considered to be seniors for their rail system? Age 60? Age 65? Or, older?

Added reactions and suggestions on these Flam-Myrdal options?

"Pensioners" or senior citizens seem to be 67 and above in Norway..at least at most of the sites I've been exploring.

"Pensioners" or senior citizens seem to be 67 and above in Norway..at least at most of the sites I've been exploring.

Glad to be middle-aged! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. For some, 60 or 65 is considered "senior".

Note the disclaimer at the bottom of the page -- "..for Norwegian citizens only..."

Maybe you should quote the complete line:

Please note that the 50% discount for disabled passengers & the person accompanying are for Norwegian citizens only.

67+ is fine for non-Norwegian??? Or???

Regards,

HeinBloed

In checking RailEurope.com, it shows that it is possible to book this Flam-Myrdal-Flam round-trip ticket through their website or by calling them. You can book with them two months ahead of the travel date. It showed the round-trip cost as being $88 RT. You can order two months ahead from them and they will ship the paper tickets directly to you, BEFORE the start of your cruise. This would avoid needing to stand in line with others waiting to pick up your ticket. Then you have the tickets, ready and in hand. Their RailEurope.com option didn't provide a senior discount, whether 60+ or 67+ ages, etc. Reactions to this ticketing option?

In checking RailEurope.com, it shows that it is possible to book this Flam-Myrdal-Flam round-trip ticket through their website or by calling them. You can book with them two months ahead of the travel date. It showed the round-trip cost as being $88 RT. You can order two months ahead from them and they will ship the paper tickets directly to you, BEFORE the start of your cruise. This would avoid needing to stand in line with others waiting to pick up your ticket. Then you have the tickets, ready and in hand. Their RailEurope.com option didn't provide a senior discount, whether 60+ or 67+ ages, etc. Reactions to this ticketing option?

Let's start to sort the options:

88 USD for the RailEurope Option - no Senior Discount...

2nd option you buy directly at the Flam-Railway Station:

330 NOK (= 54 USD) special return tickets.

3rd option you buy online (2 seniors) and read this:

you can collect your ticket at a manned station, from a ticket machine or on board the train.

420 NOK (= 69 USD) 9% Senior discount on full fare of 230 NOK for a single trip... (Flam-Railway does not give 50% discount for seniors obviously).

So it's up to you: you save money and queue up and buy it with Flam-Railway at the counter

or you pay more and you get it home.

It's up to you now how much you want to spend with which comfort.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Let's start to sort the options:

88 USD for the RailEurope Option - no Senior Discount...

2nd option you buy directly at the Flam-Railway Station:

330 NOK (= 54 USD) special return tickets.

3rd option you buy online (2 seniors) and read this:

420 NOK (= 69 USD) 9% Senior discount on full fare of 230 NOK for a single trip... (Flam-Railway does not give 50% discount for seniors obviously).

So it's up to you: you save money and queue up and buy it with Flam-Railway at the counter or you pay more and you get it home.

It's up to you now how much you want to spend with which comfort.

Regards, HeinBloed

Great summary of options. Don't have to decide now. Know now the various options, costs, potentials. Can decide in early May 2010 what to do. By then, I'll know what the ship charges for their "tour" that includes the ticket. I'm sure it will be more costly.

Is there a website that shows what ships are scheduled in the future to be at this port on each date? Know that Oslo has such a site to be better prepared on the number of ships and people in the port on that day.

Maybe you want to know the link as well:

http://www.flaam-cruise.com/eng/skipsanlop-fr_e.htm

THANKS! Have checked this site, but they only show the dockings for 2009. Will save this site and check back in the spring of 2010. I'm sure it will be updated by then. Appreciate the good info. Keep it flowing! Terry in Ohio

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but it has some great discussion on the Flam railroad. I have been agonizing over some of the same issues discussed above. We arrive at 7:00 and it will be a tender port, 30 minutes later the Crown Princess will arrive with over 3,600 passengers :eek:. Based on my research I have multiple options

1. Just get off the ship and get in line and assuming we get a ticket it cost about $49/pp (two adults, one child).

2. Purchase the HAL excursion @ $144/pp

3. Pre-purchase the tickets via Rail Europe at $90/pp and have tickets in hand when we get off the ship.

4. Pre-purchase via NSB @ $71/pp but still have the line to pick them up at the station.

5. Purchase the tickets in Bergen where we will stop a few days before, not sure which price this would be, either the NSB or the Flamsbana price.

So by bringing this thread back to life I was wondering if anyone had any updated info that will help in my decision. The reason Rail Europe and NSB are so much more is that Rail Europe does not give the child or round trip discount (it wants to book two one way tickets even though I select RT) and NSB also does not give the RT discount (but does give the child discount). #1, 2 and 4 are not any good so I am down to #3 or 5. My fear with #5 is that with so many people there that there might not be any tickets to get in the time slot we want by the time we get to Bergen.

Thoughts?

Kirk

We just got off the boat, stood in line and got tickets with no problem. Get the schedule and plan it so that you have a few options to get back in time. I think the ship tour only does 1/2 by train and the return by bus. We did on RCCL a few years ago.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but it has some great discussion on the Flam railroad. I have been agonizing over some of the same issues discussed above. We arrive at 7:00 and it will be a tender port, 30 minutes later the Crown Princess will arrive with over 3,600 passengers. Based on my research I have multiple options

1. Just get off the ship and get in line and assuming we get a ticket it cost about $49/pp (two adults, one child).

2. Purchase the HAL excursion @ $144/pp

3. Pre-purchase the tickets via Rail Europe at $90/pp and have tickets in hand when we get off the ship.

4. Pre-purchase via NSB @ $71/pp but still have the line to pick them up at the station.

5. Purchase the tickets in Bergen where we will stop a few days before, not sure which price this would be, either the NSB or the Flamsbana price.

So by bringing this thread back to life I was wondering if anyone had any updated info that will help in my decision. The reason Rail Europe and NSB are so much more is that Rail Europe does not give the child or round trip discount (it wants to book two one way tickets even though I select RT) and NSB also does not give the RT discount (but does give the child discount). #1, 2 and 4 are not any good so I am down to #3 or 5. My fear with #5 is that with so many people there that there might not be any tickets to get in the time slot we want by the time we get to Bergen. Thoughts? Kirk

THANKS, Kirk, for your super, excellent summary and freshening up this earlier posting!

There are many timing and cost trade-offs to consider. With that 3,600-passenger ship due in port, it can create "challenges". That ship might, in real life, get in early or your ship could be there a little later. There could be other ships in port.

For our Flam visit, we were only in Flam from 8 am to noon as later in the afternoon we were sailing to nearby Gudvangen and traveling up the Naeroyfjord.

Flam has a population of about 500 and is nestled deep in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. The Sognerfjord is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” This 66-year-old Flam Railway is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

We could have saved a little money by using option one. BUT, with our short time in Flam, we didn't want to risk any timing delays. For us, it was worth the "piece of mind" to know it would be "handled" by the ship and their personnel.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,400 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including first where you stop to see this dramatic waterfall, plus other farm/valley views, the look from the deck of the hotel towards higher mountains, passengers re-boarding the train for the trip back down, etc.:

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

FlamTrainValleyWFallView.jpg

FlamTrainReBoardingatTop.jpg

Perfect! Just what I was looking for.We will be in port 7/28/11. I really don't want to take the HAL tour for waffles. I see that it only goes as far as Vatnalhalsen instead of Myrdal. Is there much difference there? The website says the final schedule doesn't come out until March for the summer even though there is a preliminary one posted, I think I will wait and see. We do have all day in port so the schedule will not be as tiight.

Perfect! Just what I was looking for.We will be in port 7/28/11. I really don't want to take the HAL tour for waffles. I see that it only goes as far as Vatnalhalsen instead of Myrdal. Is there much difference there? The website says the final schedule doesn't come out until March for the summer even though there is a preliminary one posted, I think I will wait and see. We do have all day in port so the schedule will not be as tiight.

As I understand and remember from the maps, Vatnalhalsen and Myrdal are very close together. Only 1.13km apart. The only importance of getting to Myrdal is if you want to connect to the main rail line between Oslo and Bergen. Vatnalhalsen gives you all of the key sights at this point in the journey. Below shows how the train interior looks and is laid out. Fairly wide and roomy. You've got lots of time to sort out your exact ticketing. It's good you are researching and planning ahead.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some added details showing the interior of the passenger cars.::

FlamTrainInterior.jpg

Archived