Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thank you for your help. After the Vasa Museum we want to go to the Gamla Stan. What would be the best way to go from the Vasa to the Gamla Stan?

Your quickest and easiest way for a family of four from the Vasa would be by cab. There are some public transit/bus options, but you'll lose some time waiting for the bus, etc. Or, you could walk. It would be about 20 minutes to walk and that would allow seeing some of the interesting buildings and great architecture along that waterfront, ships in the harbor, etc. Much might depend on your weather that day, your party's travel style and energy, etc.

Below are some visuals of what you would see along that route, plus in the charming and very interesting Gamla Stan area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,200 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Connected to the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view from the bridge to the Vasa Museum of the many different buildings along this grand Strandvagen boulevard. Completed in time for the 1897 Stockholm World’s Fair, it became known as one of the most prestigious addresses in town.:

StockhHarborBldg.jpg

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the Gamia Stan area starts.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

In the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city with many outdoor dining places, plus a picture of an interesting statute in this district.:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

StockholmOldTownStatute.jpg

Across from the Vasa is the Nordic Museum in Stockholm. This 1907 building looks like a Renaissance castle.:

StockhNordicMus.jpg

Greetings!

We arrive at Stadsgarden 167 Tuesday 7 June 2011 at 10:00 and depart at 17:00, so at best we have 6 hours to see this lovely city. Both the location of berth and the apparent fact that we are the only cruise ship in town this day are to our benefit? My problems relate to what appears to be tourist business ambivalence towards tourists and to the fact that I don't have a really good map of the city for this 6-hour experience. Two questions:

(1) Apparently two companies provide HOHO boat service to Stadsgarden 167 -- both have their own unique "characteristics": The one with large tourism-promotion through web sites and blogs (Ralph Grizzle?) is "Stromma." There unique approach is to sell you directly a one-day pass for 100 SEK (about $18) but either only online (like before you fly to Europe and then you can hope the berth isn't changed due to poor weather) or you pay 40 SEK for each of a minimum of three travel segments (Stadsgarden-Vasa; Vasa-Palace; Palace-Stadsgarden). When you ask them, they say the one-day pass is purchased at the Nyproblan office. Obviously if you make it to their office, you don't need the ticket! The alternative company is Rederi Malaren. Apparently you can buy a 1-day 100 SEK ticket at the boat. BUT this tourism service neither posts a useful website (need to translate) and in no way can tell how/what options are available for purchase. I've written them twice in the last week and they don't respond to emails. Two great assists: what would you do? Anyone willing to call Rederi Malaren and determine if they will either take credit card or euros at the boat? Considering schedule/ports services and number of boats in service that day, which company wins out or what are the issues I don't see? If I now buy ticket online (perhaps missing some of the plunging value of the USD) what happens if the ship does not go to Stadsgarden?

(2) Although we now have a Vasa/Gamla Stan minimal plan, it would be great to have another option for good weather or rain. Had thought of Nordiska museet if weather is poor, or Skansen for a lovely day. However, we really like the pictures we have seen of Millesgarden, but for the life of me cannot obtain a clear picture of its location. People either say it is across the water from Niyhaven (not anywhere we can get to), others say that it is 20 minutes from Stadsgarden. Who is correct? Should I consider Millesgarden only for a real 3-4 day visit to Stockholm?

Am really hopping for definitive information from unbiased locals!

Much thanks,

DJ:)

balticports@yahoo.com

Location of Millesgarden

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=millesgarden&ie=UTF8&hq=millesgarden&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=59.359052,18.122721&spn=0.031058,0.077162&z=14

I went to your blog and found it most helpful. We will be arriving in your beautiful city at the end of June. I noticed on your blog there is a woman who offers walking tours of Stockholm. What is the cost of this tour and how does one go about arranging it? Do you feel this is something worthwhile and would it cover the major attractions of the city?

Thanks in advance.

I tried search, but didn't come up with the answer to my question.

We will be docking at Frihamnen on a Monday. I understand that we can take bus #76 into town and that an all-day ticket costs 100 SEK. Today that would translate to $16.44 US. Probably will only take the bus twice--into town and back again. That seems a lot to pay for two trips. Can someone tell me what a one-way trip on the bus would cost? Also, was Stockholm the place where you could buy a 10-ride strip of tickets and share with others? Suffering from port overload here. Thanks!

I tried search, but didn't come up with the answer to my question.

We will be docking at Frihamnen on a Monday. I understand that we can take bus #76 into town and that an all-day ticket costs 100 SEK. Today that would translate to $16.44 US. Probably will only take the bus twice--into town and back again. That seems a lot to pay for two trips. Can someone tell me what a one-way trip on the bus would cost? Also, was Stockholm the place where you could buy a 10-ride strip of tickets and share with others? Suffering from port overload here. Thanks!

It is correct that the 24 hour travel card costs 100 Kronor. But it has to be loaded onto a plastic Access card. So for a visitor who doesn’t have this card you would have to buy one which costs 20 Kronor.

The alternative is to buy single tickets, which would cost 30 kronor each. Or to buy a 16 coupon slip. Each journey within the inner city costs two coupons per person and the slip can be used by several persons. The slip costs 180 kronor.

Remember that it is not possible to pay the driver; you need tickets before you enter a bus. Read the full information about tickets here: http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Tickets/

It is correct that the 24 hour travel card costs 100 Kronor. But it has to be loaded onto a plastic Access card. So for a visitor who doesn’t have this card you would have to buy one which costs 20 Kronor.

The alternative is to buy single tickets, which would cost 30 kronor each. Or to buy a 16 coupon slip. Each journey within the inner city costs two coupons per person and the slip can be used by several persons. The slip costs 180 kronor.

Remember that it is not possible to pay the driver; you need tickets before you enter a bus. Read the full information about tickets here: http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Tickets/

North-Bound, thank you so much! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
A taxi would be the quickest way, it is only a short drive from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum. The alternative would be bus 76 from Frihamnen to Djurgårdsbron, from where there is a short walk to Vasa. Bus 76 runs frequently Monday to Friday and with less frequency on Saturdays. But not at all on Sundays.

Here is a link to a map where you can see the route for bus 76: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.338048,18.104525&spn=0.024512,0.058193&t=h&z=14

If you decide to take the bus it is necessary to buy tickets before entering a bus in Stockholm. Tickets can be bought at the tourist info and shop at the quay where your ship docks.

I would like to avoid the crowds of people who will be buying the bus tickets at the shop at the quay. Is it possible to buy the 24 hour travel card (not the Stockholm card) online and have the card sent to me?

We are arriving at 8:00am, do you know how often the bus 76 runs?

I would like to avoid the crowds of people who will be buying the bus tickets at the shop at the quay. Is it possible to buy the 24 hour travel card (not the Stockholm card) online and have the card sent to me?

We are arriving at 8:00am, do you know how often the bus 76 runs?

No, the 24 hour travel card can not be bought online. It is only the Stockholm Card that includes museums etc that can be bought online.

The present time-table (there will be a summer timetable later on) shows bus 76 running with 9-minutes intervals in the morning and the late afternoon. A little less frequently during the middle of the day.

What is the quickest way to get from the Central Train Station to City Tram 7 at Sergels Torg? Our cruise ship gets into Nynashamn at 7:00am and we plan to take the train to Central Station and visit Skansen. If time permits we would also like to see Vasa. Is that feasible? We have to be back at the ship by 5:00 for a 6:00 sailing.:confused:

What is the quickest way to get from the Central Train Station to City Tram 7 at Sergels Torg? Our cruise ship gets into Nynashamn at 7:00am and we plan to take the train to Central Station and visit Skansen. If time permits we would also like to see Vasa. Is that feasible? We have to be back at the ship by 5:00 for a 6:00 sailing.:confused:

The quickest way to get from the Central Station to Sergels Torg is to walk. The distance is about 1900 feet. Just ask somebody to point you in the right direction.

To visit both Skansen and Vasa in one day is certainly possible. But Skansen is a huge place where you can easily spend a lot of time if the weather is nice. My recommendation is to have a look at here: http://www.skansen.se/en/ to find out what you want to do there. Then it is really up to you if there will be time left for Vasa.

What restaurants inside Skansen do you recommend. I have a family of four and need to budget for cost of lunch and plan something for a family of four that does not take too much time out of the day.:)

We are docking at 167 Stadsgarden at 7:00 on June 13. The ho ho boat does not start till 10:00. Are there ferries that the locals take and what is the start up time?

We want to be at the Vasa for their 8:30 opening.

Are there any ATMs on the dock?

Thank you

Terry, Your photos are AWESOME!! Do you mind if I ask what camera you used?

Hi, Colorado neighbor! Not only don't I mind that you asked, but am happy to share that info, plus a little more.

My camera used for many these pictures has been a Nikon D50 SLR. Good, but not at the super pro level. Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Just recently upgraded to a newly-released Nikon D3100 that shoots at a much higher pixel level, has a larger viewing screen, other features, etc. The best part is that it shoots 1080p high def cinematic video with sound. We just got our first grandchild and that gives us important, new potentials with this camera.

Just like with an artist and painting, it is not as much about the "paint brush". It is what and how you take the pictures. This includes framing the subject, moving in closer, zooming, plus how to hold the camera steady in lower light, involving people in the scenes, making things interesting and more interesting, taking more pictures to improve your odds for getting that better scene/view, etc.

Since I have an "SLR" or single lens reflex camera, that bring up the question of lens. I have a 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. This wide-angle lens does especially well for the interiors of great churches and historic buildings. There are cases where my longer lens (have a Nikkor 70-300 mm zoom) can really help to closer and/or see better details. In many cases, my basic Nikkor 18-55 mm zoom covers the middle range very well and is used the most for pictures. It's nice to have only one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

On such trips as recently to Norway and the Baltics, I download my pictures most days to the MacBook Pro laptop that I usually bring along for such trip. Today's technology makes it easier to straighten pictures, adjust the cropping, fix color balance, etc. By taking the laptop along, downloading and checking the pictures as I travel, it helps to know what I'm getting and improve my "focus" as I travel in such great, scenic places. Playing with the pictures on the flight back while I listen to the "tunes" on my computer also helps pass the time quicker. Many laptops also have great programs to put these pictures into nice “slide shows” with various great visuals tools to add titles, do dissolves, etc.

I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus much, much cheaper than shopping for souvenirs. It also keeps these memories "fresh" as you can re-live your experiences, share them with friends, etc.

THANKS for asking and noticing! Reactions?

You can go to this earlier post for added photo tips and ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Below are a few addition on wonderful Stockholm to get folks excited about visiting this historic and charming city. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,720 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here's a range of added sights and sites in Stockholm. This includes a close-up on building design details.:

StockholmArchDetailsClose.jpg

Here is the brick interior of the Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. It is the oldest church in historic Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StocholmChurInter.jpg

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and hosts Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period.:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

Nice flowers and historic buildings in Stockholm:

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

From the area above the Stadsgarden docking area, here is the view over this main and scenic harbor area of Stockholm. Lots of ships and interesting architecture!! Plus, to the left of this view, you can see the buildings of the historic Gamia Stan district.:

StockholmFromSouthHarborView.jpg

We are docking at 167 Stadsgarden at 7:00 on June 13. The ho ho boat does not start till 10:00. Are there ferries that the locals take and what is the start up time?

We want to be at the Vasa for their 8:30 opening.

Are there any ATMs on the dock?

Thank you

Go back to my post (page 29, #580) which shows the layout of S167. Last year the HOHO boats started an 'express' service taking passengers to either the Vasa or Gamla Stan from about 9am, before they started up properly for the day. Don't know if they are doing it again this year though. I'm sure there was an ATM in the Tourist hut place, but I'm not certain...did anyone else see one in there?

Simon

Go back to my post (page 29, #580) which shows the layout of S167. Last year the HOHO boats started an 'express' service taking passengers to either the Vasa or Gamla Stan from about 9am, before they started up properly for the day. Don't know if they are doing it again this year though. I'm sure there was an ATM in the Tourist hut place, but I'm not certain...did anyone else see one in there?

Thanks Simon, I bookmarked that post. We are only in port from 7 to 2 so I'm trying to maximize our time. I hope the Ho Ho boat starts earlier than 10.

Simon

Just In the front of Stadsgården S167, The Viking Line ferries have a terminal, just inside that that terminal on your right you can find an ATM.

Just In the front of Stadsgården S167, The Viking Line ferries have a terminal, just inside that that terminal on your right you can find an ATM.

Thank you acjb

On the pictures on my post, that is to the right of the picture for anyone who wants to know. The ferry is on the next berth. Thanks for the info acjb.

Simon

Dear Simon: I am an avid collector of seashells. Since u live in Stockholm can u tell me whether i might find seashells along any beaches while i am in the Baltics? thank u, Elaine

I don't live there...I live on a little island in the North Sea. Its called Britain!!:D When we were on our cruise last year, there weren't that many places that you were somewhere with a beach (as obviously the ship docks in a port). I would think your best bets are (if you are going to these ports) Warnemunde and Tallinn...unless anyone knows different!

Simon

Dear Simon: I am an avid collector of seashells. Since u live in Stockholm can u tell me whether i might find seashells along any beaches while i am in the Baltics? thank u, Elaine

No, like you I very much like to look for seaschells when I am travelling. But I am sorry, don't expect to find many on a Baltic cruise. And anyway, there are not that many beaches here, at least in Sweden there are more nice smoth rocks.

We will be staying at the Stockholm Sheraton in June. How long is the taxi ride to the airport?

Thank you!

Depending on traffic I'd say 40-50 minutes total. It may be a little less but I would rather err long. On the other hand the Arlanda Express train takes 20 minutes.

Al