Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Depending on traffic I'd say 40-50 minutes total. It may be a little less but I would rather err long. On the other hand the Arlanda Express train takes 20 minutes. Al

Al is very good in his knowledge and responses on Stockholm. That express is train is only 20 minutes, but here, as they say, is the "REST OF THE STORY". As I analyzed and did in getting from our hotel in the historic area to the airport for an early morning flight, there are "trade-offs". With a cab and our luggage, it would have taken time to get from the hotel to the train station and then wait for the departure time to catch the train. Then there is the time and effort getting from the train stop at the airport to our exact airline gate. By contrast, the cab picked up us and our luggage directly at our hotel and dropped us exactly at the airline check-in point for our airline. That saved time and hassle. The cab costs more than the train, but there are other logistical factors to consider. Much depends on your budget and amount of luggage, your travel style, etc. Just wanted to offer these other timing factors to consider. It is not a simple 40-50 minutes versus 20 minutes comparison in total, overall travel time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 41,095 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Al is very good in his knowledge and responses on Stockholm. That express is train is only 20 minutes, but here, as they say, is the "REST OF THE STORY". As I analyzed and did in getting from our hotel in the historic area to the airport for an early morning flight, there are "trade-offs". With a cab and our luggage, it would have taken time to get from the hotel to the train station and then wait for the departure time to catch the train. Then there is the time and effort getting from the train stop at the airport to our exact airline gate. By contrast, the cab picked up us and our luggage directly at our hotel and dropped us exactly at the airline check-in point for our airline. That saved time and hassle. The cab costs more than the train, but there are other logistical factors to consider. Much depends on your budget and amount of luggage, your travel style, etc. Just wanted to offer these other timing factors to consider. It is not a simple 40-50 minutes versus 20 minutes comparison in total, overall travel time.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 41,095 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

To Al & Terry,

Thank you so much for your answers to my post. I think at our age, we will opt for the easy way----taking a cab! :D

Thanks again!

Judy

To Al & Terry,

Thank you so much for your answers to my post. I think at our age, we will opt for the easy way----taking a cab! :D

Thanks again!

Judy

Hi, Judy! You're young and approaching middle age. BUT, wise, in focusing, carefully, your energy and time.

THANKS! Enjoy your trip! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 41,130 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

Hi, Judy! You're young and approaching middle age. BUT, wise, in focusing, carefully, your energy and time.

THANKS! Enjoy your trip! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 41,130 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

You have me mixed up with someone else!!! I'm WAY past middle age and approaching OLD age!!:D

Not complaining though, have been very blessed!

Thanks for the compliment!

I was simply answering the question from the OP. Bottom line, I will always take a taxi for convenience sake when I can. Can't beat it. :)

I have actually done a not too scientific timing of this - from my place on Södermalm to Arlanda. (Sorry if this does not apply to anything pertinent to the thread.)

#1 - Call taxi to home and take it directly to Arlanda.

#2 - Call taxi to home and have it take us to Arlanda express.

#3 - Drag our bags 2 blocks to the train station and then drag them to Arlanda Express from Stockholm Central station.

#1 - Simple, easy, you know the cost up front but you never know about traffic. When I have used this method it has usually been for early morning flights (real early), so traffic was not an issue.

#2 - Well, this is my favorite. The cab gets me to the train and 20 minutes later I'm ready to rock. I grew up in SoCal and I just hate sitting in traffic. Once I am on a train I feel like the trip has begun. there is no price advantage, in fact, the taxi to the Express and then the Express ticket comes out to a little more than the direct taxi (well last time I traveled anyway).

#3 - Cheapest way, and well, if it's not an early flight this is the way we do it. I can still drag luggage.

All three timings are close to the same. Prices on #1 and #2 are close.

For me, I would rather take the train to Arlanda. Like I said, once I am on the train the trip has begun.

Al

:)

Hi All: Will be in Stockholm in about a month while on cruise. Would like to know best way to do this itinerary. Will be there from 7am to 4pm (Wednesday) coming on the Emerald. Would we have time to see, and how to get from one place to another, back to ship by 3pm. Appreciate any info. : Vasa Ship, Gama Stan, Skansen outdoor museum, Great synagogue. Anything special to buy as a souvenir? Thank u again so much all, Elaine

Express buses from central Stockholm:

http://www.flygbussarna.se/default.aspx?lang=EN

Express train from central Stockholm:

http://www.arlandaexpress.com/default.aspx?page=3&=&redcookie=clear

Hope this helps

Al

HI:

We end up in Stockholm AFTER our cruise. As we have the day before in Stockholm then back to the shipfor the night. We are looking for a hotel. we will need trasportation from pier to hotel hotel to train station or airport? We will have to store luggage while we take a 4 day trip to the Norweigen Fiords. We fly home the next day. What would you suggest for a hotel? Close to airport? or close to Train station? any suggestions?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

HI:

We end up in Stockholm AFTER our cruise. As we have the day before in Stockholm then back to the shipfor the night. We are looking for a hotel. we will need trasportation from pier to hotel hotel to train station or airport? We will have to store luggage while we take a 4 day trip to the Norweigen Fiords. We fly home the next day. What would you suggest for a hotel? Close to airport? or close to Train station? any suggestions?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Very sorry but since I live in Stockholm I really know nothing about the hotel situation. I can speak about location though. If I had to choose a hotel I would choose one closer to the train station. There really is nothing to do out near the airport.

I am sure someone will be along with more information for you regarding hotels.

Enjoy your trip.

Al

Is it possible to walk from the Vasa Museum to City Hall? What about walking from City Hall to Gamla Stan? It is hard to tell on maps if that is just a bridge for cars or can pedestrians walk across safely. How long would each walk take? We walk about 3 miles per hour. It may be quicker to take a cab or HOHO boat.

Is it possible to walk from the Vasa Museum to City Hall? What about walking from City Hall to Gamla Stan? It is hard to tell on maps if that is just a bridge for cars or can pedestrians walk across safely. How long would each walk take? We walk about 3 miles per hour. It may be quicker to take a cab or HOHO boat.

There should be no technical difficulties doing the walk. There should be a pedestrian route along Tegelbacken-Stadshusbron bridge. Distance Vasa-City hall is about 1.7 miles =34 minutes. i should say 40 minutes to be on the safe side.

City hall to gamla Stan is back the same way you came and then over Vasabron bridge or through Helgeandsholmen island (you cannot walk on the Centralbron). Distance half a mile or 10-15 minutes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=59.328405,18.061653&panoid=COJGcXqrjpND9jvfsB9c5g&cbp=12,235.88,,1,-0.24&ll=59.32833,18.061094&spn=0.009348,0.030556&z=16

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.3281,18.059485&spn=0.009348,0.030556&z=16&layer=c&cbll=59.328083,18.059307&panoid=tmHq1NucbvPWYXT4RplfGQ&cbp=12,126.96,,0,0.06

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=59.328217,18.057931&panoid=UM7L2a_jNKBYjHGPnKY3Aw&cbp=12,157.14,,0,10.68&ll=59.328078,18.059313&spn=0.009348,0.030556&z=16

Generally speaking you'll always be able to find some pedestian route in the city centers in the nordic countries.

Edited by Ultima Thule

We'll be in Stockholm in July, I think at the Stadsgarden dock. We're only there 7am-2pm, and we have already seen Vasa on a previous cruise, so would like to see the Royal Palace and Armory. Will there be cabs available at both places to get us back and forth?

Thanks!

Lynn

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

On June 22, 2011, 2 of us are arriving @ 12:15 pm in terminal 5 at ARN on the day our cruise departs at 6 pm.

How do you suggest we get to the port, Vartahamnen 523?

approximately how much will it cost?

Can we pay with US dollars, Euros or Credit Card?

Help! Nobis or The Grand? Worried that Grand may be too stodgy for us. We really gravitate toward trendy. Any thoughts?

If you want "trendy" try The Rival on Södermalm. This is Benny Anderson's (ABBA) pride and joy and has been known to host more than a few visiting celebs.

Al

Hi, Al Frescoe,

1. Do we need to reserve a taxi for pick-up when we disembark at Frihamnen on at Tuesday morning in June? Or can we get a taxi there?

I contacted Taxi Stockholm, the first one on your blog list. They quoted me 200 SEK from there to the Sheraton Stockholm, but said I need a cell phone number to reserve one. I will not be carrying one for this trip.

2. Can you recommend any reasonably-priced ethnic restaurants for our four-day post-cruise stay? I am allergic to fish (a rotten allergy for a girl who grew up on the Atlantic Ocean!) and husband does not eat pork products, so I assume that Chinese, Turkish, Indian, Mexican, Thai, Italian, etc. would be best for us.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Pam

Edited by CintiPam

If you want "trendy" try The Rival on Södermalm. This is Benny Anderson's (ABBA) pride and joy and has been known to host more than a few visiting celebs.

Al

That's nice to know. We are booked four nights at the The Rival in July, before our Baltic cruise.

A question: Is there an advantage to get a 3-day Stockholm Card before we travel? (I think there is a VAT charge and a delivery charge to have it mailed). Is it easy to pick one up at a Tourist Office?

Hi, Al Frescoe,

1. Do we need to reserve a taxi for pick-up when we disembark at Frihamnen on at Tuesday morning in June? Or can we get a taxi there?

I contacted Taxi Stockholm, the first one on your blog list. They quoted me 200 SEK from there to the Sheraton Stockholm, but said I need a cell phone number to reserve one. I will not be carrying one for this trip.

2. Can you recommend any reasonably-priced ethnic restaurants for our four-day post-cruise stay? I am allergic to fish (a rotten allergy for a girl who grew up on the Atlantic Ocean!) and husband does not eat pork products, so I assume that Chinese, Turkish, Indian, Mexican, Thai, Italian, etc. would be best for us.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Pam

I was not aware that they required a cell phone to reserve a taxi, I suppose it makes sense for them though. As I have mentioned in the past, there will most likely be taxis hanging around down there but they will most likely be the independents (black). Perhaps you will meet someone on the ship with a phone? Or the concierge on the ship might be able to help. Once ashore it is a simple matter to call one of the big companies and they will send a car right away. You could also select one of the independents and tell him you will pay 200 for a trip to the hotel (you said you got a quote from Taxi Stockholm). This should not be a big deal, sorry if it sounds more complicated.

As far as restaurants, there are many, many Indian restaurants in Stockholm. If you were in my neighborhood on Södermalm I could give you some names but I rarely eat Indian downtown (I call my neighborhood Little Bombay).

Hope this helps a little,

Al

That's nice to know. We are booked four nights at the The Rival in July, before our Baltic cruise.

A question: Is there an advantage to get a 3-day Stockholm Card before we travel? (I think there is a VAT charge and a delivery charge to have it mailed). Is it easy to pick one up at a Tourist Office?

The main advantage is that you will have it in hand when you arrive. Since you are staying at The Rival you can get the card at the Slussen Subway/bus station or the Slussen Hilton (probably easier to find, the bus station office is kind of hidden underground.) And ask at the desk at The Rival, they might even have them. Here is the list of places to buy the card.

Al

I was not aware that they required a cell phone to reserve a taxi, I suppose it makes sense for them though. As I have mentioned in the past, there will most likely be taxis hanging around down there but they will most likely be the independents (black). Perhaps you will meet someone on the ship with a phone? Or the concierge on the ship might be able to help. Once ashore it is a simple matter to call one of the big companies and they will send a car right away. You could also select one of the independents and tell him you will pay 200 for a trip to the hotel (you said you got a quote from Taxi Stockholm). This should not be a big deal, sorry if it sounds more complicated.

As far as restaurants, there are many, many Indian restaurants in Stockholm. If you were in my neighborhood on Södermalm I could give you some names but I rarely eat Indian downtown (I call my neighborhood Little Bombay).

Hope this helps a little,

Al

Thanks, Al, I wrote them again to tell them that I will not have a cell phone with me, and they confirmed the taxi booking now without it.

We plan to take the HOHO boat to the Vasa and then tour City Hall. Will they take credit cards or should we get currency before we leave home? We assume most restaurants will take credit cards. The HOHO boat is the main concern since we will probably see ATM machines once we start walking around town.

We plan to take the HOHO boat to the Vasa and then tour City Hall. Will they take credit cards or should we get currency before we leave home? We assume most restaurants will take credit cards. The HOHO boat is the main concern since we will probably see ATM machines once we start walking around town.

If you are S167 Stadsgarden, the little shop by the security gate takes CC's...don't know about the ticket booth's by the boats, so perhaps buy your HOHO tickets in the shop to be on the safe side.

Simon