Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Have some questions about Stockholm, hopefully someone can help. We will be visiting on the Emerald Princess on 7/16 from 7am-2pm and will dock at Stadsgarden. I'm interested in taking the Hoho boat to the Vasa museum and Gamla Stan and a quick stop to see the Palace (from the outside) to hopefully catch a changing of the guard.

1. Will this be feasible in the limited time we have? What would be the best plan of action - Vasa first or Gamla Stan first? I'm planning to disembark the ship as early as possible, but the Hoho boats don't start running until 10am and the Vasa opens at 8:30am.

I'm worried about getting stuck in lines for the Vasa museum, but the Hoho boat schedule is making things difficult. Any advice? Is there any other (easy, not too much walking) way to get to the Vasa/Gamla Stan?

2. How far (miles, minutes) is the walk from the Stadsgarden 167 to the Hoho boat stop? Is it sidewalk or cobblestones? Is Gamla Stan cobblestones or uneven terrain?

3. Are there stairs into the Hoho boat or on the boat docks?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'll do this again fro you Infi!

This is S167 July last year

ry%3D400

You exit the dock at the far right (close up below) and the HOHO boats tie up against the tyres at the far left, so its about a 200yd walk, all on 'flat' surfaces. I think there was a ramp down to the HOHO boats, but you will have 3 or 4 steps into the boats.

ry%3D400

This is where you exit..through the white tent. The shop to the right sells HOHO tickets and Vasa tickets. We got a combo HOHO and Vasa last year..it saves a bit of time. There are ticket booths by the HOHO boats if you want to use them. You walk straight across the trailer park and turn left along the front of the buildings to the boats...don't worry, its all very well marked with idiot proof lines to follow!! Last year, the boats were waiting from about 8.30 -9am. They took cruise passengers to either Gamla Stan or the Vasa before starting their 'proper' schedule at 10am to get everybody on their way. Just tell the guys where you want to go and they'll put you on the right boat (assuming they are doing this this year as well!). I would say definately do the Vasa first. We got there just after opening and there was already a small queue. By the time we came out about 2 hrs later, the queue was 100yds! Your only real practical option to get to the Vasa (or Gamla Stan) quicker is a cab. Sorry, don't know how much that is. We weren't worried about seeing the changing of the guard, so just used our HOHO ticket to 'island hop', but lots of people have said it is possible to do both.

Simon

Is Gamla Stan cobblestones or uneven terrain?

Sorry to inform you that streets in Gamla Stan are almost completely made of cobblestones and that the terrain is a bit hilly too in some places. But on the major tourist street, "Västra Långgatan" the stones are of a modern, smooth type (see picture) and the street terrain is decently even too.

city02.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hi

We will be taking the arlanda express from the airport to the central station in stockholm. We would like to take the Blue Bus #1 to Frihamnen pier/port to board the Vision of the Seas on a Saturday. Can we walk from central station to board the Bus #1 or do we need to take a connecting bus? We only have one carry-on each. Please give specifics re location of bus stop (cross streets), direction to walk in, etc.....THANKS!!!! We can't wait to visit Stockholm :)

judy

Hi

We will be taking the arlanda express from the airport to the central station in stockholm. We would like to take the Blue Bus #1 to Frihamnen pier/port to board the Vision of the Seas on a Saturday. Can we walk from central station to board the Bus #1 or do we need to take a connecting bus? We only have one carry-on each. Please give specifics re location of bus stop (cross streets), direction to walk in, etc.....THANKS!!!!

judy

The railway station-bus station complex is a rather complicated structure that I never really have investigated so I'm not sure exactly where you will exit.

From the old railway station building it would be some 450 yards walk to the bus stop. Turn left and follow Vasagatan northwards under the Klarabergsviadukten and past Mäster Samuelsgatan, Bryggargatan, and Gamla Brogatan. After Hotel Adlon you turn right into Kungsgatan and the bus stop is right there.

But I noticed on Google maps there is a exit in the new railway station building (or whatever it is called) with the sign "Arlanda Express" over it. If it is there you exit it is just about 300 yards to go. Go forward one block along Vasaplan and turn left into Vasagatan. Go past Gamla Brogatan. After Hotel Adlon you turn right into Kungsgatan and the bus stop is right there.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thanks so much sddsddean and Ultima Thule for your advice, I greatly appreciate it and the photos were perfect. Interesting that the Hoho boats apparently pick up earlier by the cruise ship dock. The website doesn't say anything about this, but I'm really hoping it's true for our cruise too. If not, I guess we could take a taxi to the Vasa from the port - any idea of the cost for this?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of a place to grab a quick, local-ish snack in the Gamla Stan, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so much again.

Interesting that the Hoho boats apparently pick up earlier by the cruise ship dock. The website doesn't say anything about this, but I'm really hoping it's true for our cruise too.

Yes, it caught us out too, but was a very welcome surprise and helped kick start the day. It would be interesting to know if they are doing it again this year. Any recent Baltic 2011 cruisers out there can tell us?

Simon

I read the tradition of Smörgåsbord is disappearing, except at major holidays, but remember vaguely (Hard to believe but I was young then!) of my grand-parents putting them on back in Iowa.

I had wanted to relive this memory of endless Herring and meats and cheeses and such. The Grand Hotel still does one in the evening. Does anyone know if (and how badly) out of place we might feel if we came neatly dressed straight from a day of sightseeing? Or might we not be admitted at all? Of course, we would not wear shorts or tanks or tee's...but not jackets or dresses either!

Months ago I believe I saw that one of the Skansen restaurants (Sollidens perhaps?) held one (From Noon to 4PM I think.) Now I can't find that information, and Skansen's website's info is dismal, as they say the English version of restaurant info is under construction. I think that's where I saw it originally. Anyone done this or seen it this season?

Any other ideas for me? Thanks in advance. ---Bob Anderson, half Swede, half mutt!---

Edited by bobpaula
The usual...Can't spell!

Does anyone know if (and how badly) out of place we might feel if we came neatly dressed straight from a day of sightseeing? Or might we not be admitted at all? Of course, we would not wear shorts or tanks or tee's...but not jackets or dresses either!

You will be fine at the Veranda restaurant at the Grand, that's where they serve the smörgåsbord.

Enjoy,

Al

I´m happy to tell you the Smörgåsbord is now beeing served at restaurants more often again. It´s always been a favorit onboard the cruise ships between Seden and Finland. In homes it´s a tradition for every family at Christmas eve, and maybe Easter and Midsummer.

Restaurant Solliden at Skansen, every day during the summer 12.00-16.00. SEK 310. (+ entrance to Skansen - a lovely experience - SEK 120.)

Grand Hotel, Verandan, Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00 and 18.00-22.00, Sat-Sun 13.00-16.00 and 18.00-22.00. High quality, but with a "modern" twist. Nice view of the Royal Palace. SEK 475.

I would definately recommend Operakällaren (in the Royal Opera House, close to the Royal Palace and the Parliament) if you are in Stockholm on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. It´s the most well known restaurant in Sweden, famous for high quality and old fashion interiors. The Smörgåsbord is served in Café Opera Thur-Sat 17.00-19.00. SEK 390.

You need to go (at least) five times to the buffé so please allow two hours for your meal. You don´t mix all the dishes, you eat them in a surtain order:

1. Herring.

2. Salmon and other fish.

3. Cold meats and sallads.

4. Hot dishes (meatballs, "Jansons frestelse" &c)

5. Desserts.

And feel free go an extra round, to get some more of what you liked the best!

And remember... the only drink that goes with all the different dishes on a Smörgåsbord is - ice water! Don´t waste your money on wine. (But perhaps a "snaps" for the first plate....) If you want something sweet with your coffee, try a glass of Iced Swedish Punsch. Very nice and very genuine. ;)

Edited by F Markus

Yes, it caught us out too, but was a very welcome surprise and helped kick start the day. It would be interesting to know if they are doing it again this year. Any recent Baltic 2011 cruisers out there can tell us?

Simon

Just got back, the Hoho boats were there when we got there (in the pouring rain!!) and took us right to the Vasa. It was before the regular route started.

We bought the tickets right next to the dock.

We are calling in Stockholm for the day in August and have done minimal reading to date, but will be doing much more in the weeks ahead.

We are due to dock at F638, and are planning to take the number 1 bus in to town. From there we plan on using the HOHO bus around the city and just do exactly that, jump off have a look around and then hop back on again. Any top tips for should not be missed places on or close to the route (we are in our 40s and very mobile on foot). And does the plan detailed above make sense from F638 and the HOHO bus?

Finally we have to think about lunch, and we understand that restaurants in the city are very expensive. Do you have any suggestions for good value lunch, which will be accessible from the HOHO bus? Not fast food (mcdonalds etc), but any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks (in advance)

Jenki

We are calling in Stockholm for the day in August and have done minimal reading to date, but will be doing much more in the weeks ahead.

We are due to dock at F638, and are planning to take the number 1 bus in to town. From there we plan on using the HOHO bus around the city and just do exactly that, jump off have a look around and then hop back on again. Any top tips for should not be missed places on or close to the route (we are in our 40s and very mobile on foot). And does the plan detailed above make sense from F638 and the HOHO bus?

Finally we have to think about lunch, and we understand that restaurants in the city are very expensive. Do you have any suggestions for good value lunch, which will be accessible from the HOHO bus? Not fast food (mcdonalds etc), but any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks (in advance)

Jenki

You did not mention what day you are in town, but if it is not a Sunday or a holiday bus 76 is much better for tourists. otherwise, bus 1 will get you to the city center. I recommend you get off at Hötorget if you ride bus 1 and then find your Hoho stop, perhaps you had already researched that.

Have fun,

Al

Dear acjb,

Thank you very much for being so willing to help us who have never been to your part of the world! I have looked and looked a different tours none of them go to all the places we would like to see. We will be on the Rotterdamm, arriving September 16. We would very much like to see Vasa Museum the Palace and Gamla Stan. In September the museum doesn't open till ten. How would you go about seeing these wonders? The ship does have tours that get a driver for you and you plan your day. Is this the best way to do it, or would you just take taxi everywhere to save time.

Again thank you for any advice you can give us.

Blessings, Carlotta

Another question about transportation from Stockholm Airport (ARN). I saw on the web that a Super Shuttle service now exists. Has anyone tried this?

I did a "search" in this thread but no results.......anyone out there have input? The cost is about 1/2 of that of a cab. We won't be in a hurry as it will be too early to check into our hotel anway.

Thanking you in advance.

Another question about transportation from Stockholm Airport (ARN). I saw on the web that a Super Shuttle service now exists. Has anyone tried this?

I did a "search" in this thread but no results.......anyone out there have input? The cost is about 1/2 of that of a cab. We won't be in a hurry as it will be too early to check into our hotel anway.

Thanking you in advance.

We used the Arlanda Express train from the Central Station to Arlanda when we departed Stockholm on Saturday, June 25. On weekends in the summer, the ticket cost is about two for the price of one, and it truly takes only 20 minutes, half that of any bus. With free trolleys all over the airport to carry your luggage, a very easy way to get to town very comfortably.

Thanking you in advance.

Just looked it up. If you not in a hurry this would be a good option, especially if they pick you up at your hotel (and vise versa). Would be interested to know if they can deliver the goods as far as time (i.e. will they be there when they say they will).

Al

My husband and I are going to be in Stockholm on the Emerald Princess on July 27th. We are disembarking here a day and a half early because we are going to fly to Kiruna, Sweden the next day to visit some friends of ours. I have a few questions I need answered please.

1. What is the easiest and cheapest way to get to the Sheraton Hotel with all of our luggage, 2 large bags and one small duffle bag? I imagine a taxi would be easiest but how expensive would a taxi be?

2. Do you know if there are lockers at Arlanda Airport? We don't want to bring all of our luggage with us to Northern Sweden as we will be coming back to Stockholm a week later and staying at the Sheraton again before flying back to the USA. I was also wondering if the hotel would be willing to store part of our luggage for us for a week.

3. Do we need to reserve our tickets on the Arlanda Express before hand or can we just buy them at the Central Station and the airport? Also, how much are the the tickets each way?

Thanks for your help!:)

Thanking you in advance.

I am looking at Super Shuttle as an option from ARN to City Centre as well. They're running a 4 for 1 promotion through 15 August that is hard to beat.

We're staying at the Sheraton and the quote on http://www.supershuttle.se/en/ comes to 240 SEK for our family of 4, which is about half the price of a taxi.

Has anyone used them before? I know they're new to Stockholm (since February).

Preds

I went ahead and booked and also pre-paid the Super Shuttle to our hotel. I figure if for some reason it doesn't work I can contest it on the credit card and it' really isn't all that much $$.

When are you traveling? We will be arriving in Stockholm on the 12th of July, returning home on the 22nd. If you are traveling after that I'll be happy to share my (hopefully positive) experience.

Preds

I went ahead and booked and also pre-paid the Super Shuttle to our hotel. I figure if for some reason it doesn't work I can contest it on the credit card and it' really isn't all that much $$.

When are you traveling? We will be arriving in Stockholm on the 12th of July, returning home on the 22nd. If you are traveling after that I'll be happy to share my (hopefully positive) experience.

We arrive in Stockhom 04 August for 2 days pre-cruise, and return 10 August.

I booked an 04 August ARN to City Centre SuperShuttle reservation for the 4 of us, The price (240 SEK) is just too good to not give it a shot.

I emailed them about a return booking for 10 August since they're booking form won't recognize the cruise ship terminal address I enter for the pickup (Frihamnen Berth 638). I think it needs a street address and I can't find one. Hopefully I'll hear back from them in the next day or so.

Please do share your experience as we can cancel all the way up until 4 hours prior to arrival if needed. Hopefully that won't be necessary and you'll have a great experience. Please report back. Thanks!

Edited by Preds

I could not figure out the price on the ARN to Gamla Stan fare..it was coming out to $3,640 USD!!!!!! I KNOW that can't be right! Thank you! We leave in a week for our trip..also we need it from Firmhaven back to airport also..

Sherry

I really do need help. Arriving off of the Emerald Princess not sure what pier. We want to take the Royal Canal Tour but can not find any info about getting to the tour off the ship. Like how far of a distance to walk? Would we have to take public transportation? Thanks for your offer of info.

I could not figure out the price on the ARN to Gamla Stan fare..it was coming out to $3,640 USD!!!!!! I KNOW that can't be right! Thank you! We leave in a week for our trip..also we need it from Firmhaven back to airport also..

Sherry

I don't know where in Gamla Stan you're trying to go, however, when I input the Rice Hotel in Gamla Stan I'm getting a quote of 220,00 SEK for 4 people which is ~ $35 USD.

I haven't heard back on the email I sent regarding returning to ARN from the Frihamnen cruise terminal yet.