Shorts in the Dining room?

Caligirl33

A few weeks ago we went to dinner at Maggiano's. It was a last minute decision. My husband had shorts on and was worried. I told him not to be silly, it was summer and a week night he'd be fine. Of course you know it... the only other male in the room with shorts was a scruffy looking pre-teen. My DH was not happy.

So yesterday (Sunday) we decide dinner at Maggiano's again. This time DH wore dockers and a button shirt. Of course the majority of men were in shorts. Sometimes you can't win for trying.

I'm not a fan of the shorts in the dining room. I do think it adds something to the whole dinner routine to get dressed for a special meal. We enjoy going back to our room, talking about our day, making plans for our evening, taking a little nap, and getting dressed for dinner. I love all the things that make Carnival the fun ship but I do thing the more casual dress will lead to some changes in the dining room.

Carnival will become NCL :(:(

No adult male who has any manners or style should ever, wear shorts to the Main Dining Room on a cruise ship, for dinner.

I agree with this statement also. I asked my dh what he thought, he also agrees, there is a time and a place for shorts, the dining room isn't it.

There will always be disagreement over this issue, those who want/like to wear the minimal that is required to the dining room and those who actually enjoy dressing for dinner, it is a personal choice that will continue to be controversial.

Just got back from the Fantasy last Thursday and I have to say I saw VERY few shorts any night in the dining room. I was very shocked this time around. I go on the Fantasy quite regularly and have never seen that many people dressed nicely. And just about everybody on Elegant night wore either a Tuxedo, suit or something very nice. I have nothing against shorts in the dining room, but just never do it myself, I always dress up for dinner but you should be fine as long as they aren't cut-off jeans! :D

I agree with this statement also. I asked my dh what he thought, he also agrees, there is a time and a place for shorts, the dining room isn't it.

There will always be disagreement over this issue, those who want/like to wear the minimal that is required to the dining room and those who actually enjoy dressing for dinner, it is a personal choice that will continue to be controversial.

You and your husband would look rather foolish where I live wearing long pants to dinner/dining room. It is hot and muggy and you would look out of place and from somewhere else. Many places in the world do not adhere to some sort of "dress code" that you do. In fact MORE places in the world are vastly different and your code would get you laughed at - either behind your back or in your face. A cruise ship is NOT your neighborhood and does not have your dress code. PLEASE consider what you say and the context in which you say it. Shorts in the dining room are acceptable...

I won't wear shorts in the dining room during the evening. I wear slacks and a polo type shirt...usually...except for FORMAL/elegant nights. :D

And Bob, I'm pretty familiar with hot temps as I am from just west of you! :D

If I were going to a regular restaurant I'd be wearing my shorts but not in the ships dining room at night. ;)

I read the "dress" threads with interest. I can undestand the points from both sides and seem to "sit on the fence" with this one. I guess, I'd say the cruise line should inforce what they have or change it.

The discussions have me thinking......Could geographical location have anything to do with opinions? I live in an area where shorts can (and many times do) be worn year-round. In fact, many months of the year you'd die wearing long pants. So, for us, shorts are something we see day in and day out for any and all occasions. I can understand about places where shorts are only worn for very short periods of time, so they wouldn't be as "common" or "acceptable".

I think it would be interesting to know (I'm not asking...for security reasons...just interesting), for those of you who are adamately for shorts and those adamately against....how that would show up on the map.

I simply don't understand how this question can get asked so many times. My wife and I don't mind a bit getting dressed up a little for diner in the formal dining room. We really enjoy doing it, and we love dressing up for the two formal nights. The biggest things is how can so many people use a computer and find this site, but can't seem to be able to find www.carnival.com and simple read what they themselves say about shorts and the dress code. Sorry for running off there!

It cracks me up how folks get all worked up about shorts in the dining room... Geez. My DH wants to dress up, I'm not. I'm on vacation. So if you see a very handsome gentlemen in a tux hanging out with a very petite, very sloppy petite person, that's us. I'll have my shorts and t-shirt on, no make-up and flip-flops. To me that's living! I dress up for work not on my vacation.... : )

I won't wear shorts in the dining room during the evening. I wear slacks and a polo type shirt...usually...except for FORMAL/elegant nights. :D

And Bob, I'm pretty familiar with hot temps as I am from just west of you! :D

If I were going to a regular restaurant I'd be wearing my shorts but not in the ships dining room at night. ;)

See I would be about the opposite... I would be more inclined to wear long pants on land rather than on a ship... and BTW so everyone is on the same page... I am talking about CASUAL nights... Formal/Elegant nights are completely different and would never wear shorts... maybe a kilt!

I used to be against people breaking the dress code rules, but the dress code rules have changed and the cruiselines are just trying to make it easier on us passengers. The airline fees for luggage are expensive for families, wouldn't most of us rather spend that money on an excursion or a spa treatment, maybe a gift for someone that didn't get to go with us, I know I would. I will probably not ever wear shorts in the diningroom myself, but I also won't let someone else wearing them affect my experience. I will never break the dress code rules myself, but it doesn't sound like anyone here wants to either, if they are abiding by the rules why should anyone care if they wear shorts or not. I recently went on NCL for the first time and it plainly stated no shorts after 5:00 p.m., but we saw more people in the mdr wearing shorts then not. I think it is just a sign of our changing times we live in.

I used to be against people breaking the dress code rules, but the dress code rules have changed and the cruiselines are just trying to make it easier on us passengers. The airline fees for luggage are expensive for families, wouldn't most of us rather spend that money on an excursion or a spa treatment, maybe a gift for someone that didn't get to go with us, I know I would. I will probably not ever wear shorts in the diningroom myself, but I also won't let someone else wearing them affect my experience. I will never break the dress code rules myself, but it doesn't sound like anyone here wants to either, if they are abiding by the rules why should anyone care if they wear shorts or not. I recently went on NCL for the first time and it plainly stated no shorts after 5:00 p.m., but we saw more people in the mdr wearing shorts then not. I think it is just a sign of our changing times we live in.

On our last NCL cruise there was a sign stating no shorts were allowed in one of the two MDR's after 5 pm, but in the other, shorts were allowed. Has that changed?

We cruised Liberty last September and my husband was so excited that they allowed non-jeans shorts for dinner in the dining room. He wears suits for work all the time and was looking forward to it. So he brought several pairs and only one pair of long pants (part of his suit) for Elegant Night.

He said that he felt under-dressed and if we ever cruised again (HAHA) he would wear dress pants in the dining room.

To me, if you are following the rules of the "host", then there is nothing wrong with wearing anything that is within the parameters of those rules/guidelines/whatever you call them. Outside of that is, to me, disrespectful to the host and the other members of the "party". It is just like if you go to someone's house and they ask you to take your shoes off and you just clomp on into the house in your shoes anyway. You're not breaking any laws or anything, but they've asked and out of respect you should.

The Lido has all-the-time casual dining; it's not like one HAS to dress up for dinner.

On our last NCL cruise there was a sign stating no shorts were allowed in one of the two MDR's after 5 pm, but in the other, shorts were allowed. Has that changed?

That was what was posted on our daily paper, but maybe it was a misprint, it was our first time to cruise NCL so we had taken our normal dress slacks and so forth, but it was very casual.

I think I should clarify why I myself would probably not wear shorts, it's not because I think it's wrong, I'm just cold natured and probably would be uncomfortable. Where we live it gets to 110+ during the summer months so it has to be pretty hot for me to be overly warm.

Wow! I agree with Rowan. If CCL states shorts are acceptable and I pack accordingly then get on the ship and the Maitre'd announces no shorts I would think he'd have a half empty dining room every night and some upset pax.

Perhaps he said it in jest while wishing that no shorts would be worn. Who knows.

Bill

It could be that the Maitre-D was making a "tounge in cheek" suggestion for people to step it up because of the type of shorts.

Not all shorts are dress shorts. The envelope of suggested dress is pushed when you start allowing in jean shorts and cargo shorts. I am not a fashionista but even I know jean shorts and cargo shorts are not "dress shorts"

If the Maitre d in our dining room ever "joked" in this manner, I would insist that my husband wear shorts to dinner every evening except elegant night. How rude and absurd. If it's ALLOWED and specifically printed up as acceptable in the rules, how dare he suggest people are not dressing appropriately if they wear shorts. I would also send a letter to Carnival complaining about his rudeness and his lack of compliance with the stated dress code.

Chill out....he is entitled to his own opinion...and quiet frankly ~ I agree with him. I wish it was formal night - every night!!!

This is an interesting thread. Everyone has their own ideas about what the dress code means. We leave in a little over 2 weeks on our first cruise..(yea!) and my husband is going to wear nice shorts and collared shirts for dinner. Same with my 16 yr old. For formal night, dh will wear khakis and a sports jacket. my 16 yr old will wear black levis with a white dress shirt and a tie. I am not going to go and buy dress slacks for him to wear when he will never wear them again. Now my 18 yr old is a different story. He has very odd taste in clothes, very retro. I have informed him that he HAS to buy some new shorts because the ones he has aren't cutting it. He raids his dad's closet for all his old 80's clothes that he has never gotten rid of. I will probably end up getting his formal night stuff for him so he will at least blend in with the rest of the family...lol!

My husband used to ask me what was proper to wear. Did he have to wear a suit or would a shirt and tie do? What he really wanted to know is "what will everyone else be wearing?'. Some how I always get it wrong. If I say no suit. Everyone else shows up in a suit. If I say "definitely suit" he's the only penquin in the bunch.

The question for us is not what the cruise ship allows but what is the reality. He would be mortified if there little or no other short wearers and he had on shorts. We have learned from experience that being over-dressed is a whole lot better than being under-dressed.

I also think it is hard to define "dress shorts" I know what I think they are.. but it is sort of like "dress jeans". Everyone has an opinion and it will get all controversial and the next thing you know it will not be dress shorts, just shorts.

My husband used to ask me what was proper to wear. Did he have to wear a suit or would a shirt and tie do? What he really wanted to know is "what will everyone else be wearing?'. Some how I always get it wrong. If I say no suit. Everyone else shows up in a suit. If I say "definitely suit" he's the only penquin in the bunch.

The question for us is not what the cruise ship allows but what is the reality. He would be mortified if there little or no other short wearers and he had on shorts. We have learned from experience that being over-dressed is a whole lot better than being under-dressed.

I also think it is hard to define "dress shorts" I know what I think they are.. but it is sort of like "dress jeans". Everyone has an opinion and it will get all controversial and the next thing you know it will not be dress shorts, just shorts.

Cathy I totally agree with you. As I stated earlier my dh wouldn't wear shorts in the dining room(his personal choice), contrary to what 'Bobsfamily' said to me no one will ever laugh behind your back :rolleyes: because you are over dressed, but take someone who is under dressed, entirely different thing.......I also agree, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Bobsfamily, I also live in a climate that gets 'very warm' in the summer, and travelled to many more, lots of us do, we can still get 'dressed' for dinner, I don't know about you, but I won't melt. :)

If the Maitre d in our dining room ever "joked" in this manner, I would insist that my husband wear shorts to dinner every evening except elegant night. How rude and absurd. If it's ALLOWED and specifically printed up as acceptable in the rules, how dare he suggest people are not dressing appropriately if they wear shorts. I would also send a letter to Carnival complaining about his rudeness and his lack of compliance with the stated dress code.

It was a JOKE you know humor, the poster said that he was fine with the shorts in the end...lighten up for heavens sake.:eek:

contrary to what 'Bobsfamily' said no one will ever laugh behind your back

Uh, yeah they will... how would you know when they are laughing behind your back?

BTW the OP question was:

We are leaving on the Liberty in less than a week (YIPPEE) are shorts allowed in the dining rooms? Not jean cut offs or anything like that. Nice shorts
and the answer is YES...

Bobsfamily, I also live in a climate that gets 'very warm' in the summer, and travelled to many more, lots of us do, we can still get 'dressed' for dinner

Well good for you.... I hope you do get dressed!

Archived