Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

I hate to downplay the OP's concerns, but a cabin at 75 or even 80 degrees doesn't exactly qualify for "nightmare" status in my estimation.

We keep our home at 78 degrees in the summer when we're home (82 when we're not).

Bully for you, but clearly you're missing the major point of the OP's tale -- it wasn't just that it was uncomfortable, it's that is caused insomnia in the whole family (including a 3 year old, which is far more than I would be willing to deal with on vacation, even if it was my own offspring), created a bureacratic hassle with the ship's officers, and made a major impact on the vacation they had paid for in good faith. Personally, the thought of a petulant, sleep-deprived 3 year old with no relief in sight for a least a week *is* enough to give me nightmares.

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your "estimation" after re-reading everything the OP put up with, not just reading the part about the temperatures in the cabins.

On this class of ships, the thermostat is a knob on the wall that goes from red to blue. It was all the way blue. The vent was all the way open but there was very little air flow coming in. So no, it was not conditioning the room.

I would say the temperature used in the shower was a bit warmer than tepid. Definitely wasn't a HOT shower.

Keep in mind, I shared the positives first, but when you put in perspective attending a show that is good utterly exausted from no sleep, even the most awesome show cannot be fully enjoyed. Same with dinner...food was good, and probably would have been better with sleep. The positives were comparative to past cruises and not in the context of the experience.

Thanks for the clarifications and your review, which I enjoyed.

Have you written to carnival about this?? I would if I were you.

I truly believe and have said this many times before on these boards that writing (NOT EMAIL) to any cruise line with your thoughts...good or bad is REALLY important and they DO listen.

I truly believe and have said this many times before on these boards that writing (NOT EMAIL) to any cruise line with your thoughts...good or bad is REALLY important and they DO listen.

And send it certified mail. That way you can reference the date of your letter, when it was delivered, and who signed for it in any follow-up correspondence.

JAS1178 --

My family will be on the Glory in September and also visitng Nassau. You mentioned going by taxi to visit Atlantis. How much of the resort did you get to see? Was this something you did on your own? I hate to pay for an excursion considering the short stay.

We were able to see a decent amount. Security does keep you out of certain areas, but we saw some sample aquariums (HUGE RAYS), and could have seen the whole thing for $35/pp for the Discover Atlantis Tour (Includes the aquariums/digs) sold on site.

We kind of considered our trip to Atlantis a scouting mission for a future longer stay...

Jas1178,

I hope you are still reading this thread. We sailed on the Glory June 6th of this year, and COMPLETELY understand what you said. We were on panorama deck (10) and the air conditioning was HORRID. It was routinely 78-80 degrees, and after a shower and the fiancée blow dried her hair, FORGET IT!

We were told the same thing, that it was normal. Other pax were also overheard complaining about it. We just kind of "sucked it up and dealt with it", but i completely agree that with a young one, you did the right thing.

Just a warning to all future Glory cruisers: The ship is great but you take a gamble with the A/C!!!!!

Folks, the OP and his family were not comfortable.

What you keep your home thermostat at is IRRELEVANT. He and his family are comfortable at a cooler temperature. End of story. High humidity or low is just another variable that can play into the mix, but ultimately this is a thread about an uncomfortable or nightmarish experience for the OP.

Many of you said appropriately, this is a personal comfort level, one which Carnival and other cruise lines try to oblige their customers with - the ability to choose their comfort level.

How mad or irritated would you feel if the Hotel Director or Engineer said to you..."At home I keep my thermostat at 82 degrees". Would that have been a good answer? :eek: I guess it would be if you kept the same temperature at home - we are all different.

So who really cares other than general interest what you keep your home temperature at. The OP and his family had a terrible experience.

I understand you were a bit uncomfortable. I had a similiar situation on the Holiday, but I still fail to see where the NIGHTMARE is.

A NIGHTMARE is when a tornado comes thru and rips the roof off your house in the middle of the night. A cranky 3 yr old and a slightly warm room is not a nightmare.

I'm done. I really thought you had a real nightmare with the way you started off. This is why people get bashed here. Over exageration of complaints. I am not saying the OP exagerated what he experienced, but the title of this thread is completely misleading and an exageration.

I guess you have no kids?

How mad or irritated would you feel if the Hotel Director or Engineer said to you..."At home I keep my thermostat at 82 degrees". Would that have been a good answer? :eek:

Dingdingding! My new favorite Cruise Critic reply of the year!

I hate to downplay the OP's concerns, but a cabin at 75 or even 80 degrees doesn't exactly qualify for "nightmare" status in my estimation.

We keep our home at 78 degrees in the summer when we're home (82 when we're not).

What you keep at home its your problem,on ship it MUST work proper!

Just a comment regarding the whole "NIGHTMARE" - Perhaps I should have titled it more accurately as a Disaster of a vacation (since nightmare infers sleep).

Seriously, my beef is the fact that every other room on the ship to the best of my knowledge, was at a temperature that I would have been comfortable at or been chilly (to which I would have adjusted or bundled up). This is not just a situation where I was uncomfortable in the normal standards that everyone else had, I had a room with unique problems.

Ours hovers around $300 a month for a 2000 square foot house - but it's better that than paying for an ER trip when my son has an asthma attack from getting overheated at night! Good sleep is worth quite a bit of money in my book, and none of us would sleep well if we tried to save money by keeping the house hot at night. We do bump it up to 75 during the day when it's just me and the kids - but as soon as dh gets home, it goes down to 72.

Well, I would kill for a $300 electric bill. We have a big house and have 3 ac units. We try to keep them as high as possible yet still stay comfortable, but in the summer, no matter what we do, our bill is obscene. Our house is only 10 years old, but I do wonder about our insulation.

I agree, I wouldn't compromise anyone's health to save on AC money, and I won't go to bed hot (constant source of debate with the hubby). 75 or 74 feels comfortable to me at night, but DH says he's freezing. That's when I tell him to get a blanket. You don't want to mess with a hot perimenopausal woman.:D

I have had a land vacation where the air con was very noisy so we couldnt use it (like a loud engine) and the room was so hot we never slept much for a week, I couldnt wait to get home, it was the worst holiday for us. No sleep make you irritable with each other and things that normally wouldnt bother you do.

Just a comment regarding the whole "NIGHTMARE" - Perhaps I should have titled it more accurately as a Disaster of a vacation (since nightmare infers sleep).

Seriously, my beef is the fact that every other room on the ship to the best of my knowledge, was at a temperature that I would have been comfortable at or been chilly (to which I would have adjusted or bundled up). This is not just a situation where I was uncomfortable in the normal standards that everyone else had, I had a room with unique problems.

I think most people are sympathetic to your situation. While maybe not agreeing with your terminology, I think the vast majority here believe your complaint to be very valid. I know I do!

Folks, the OP and his family were not comfortable.

What you keep your home thermostat at is IRRELEVANT.

Exactly!!!! Having a pissing match over if 78 degrees is cold or hot is simply........well.... just stupid:rolleyes:

If it is hot enough where one cannot sleep........then it is too hot PERIOD!!!

Amen to the two posters above

I live in NY- Long Island.. My central air is on at least 6 months of the year.. (ever hear of LIPA? YIKES)

I set it to 66 at night.. because i like it COLD.. I have chronic headaches and migraine/sinus issues

I would have slept in the atrium or on lido. I would not have dealt well with this at all

So kudos to the OP.. infact the only fault i personally found, with due respect, is the obvious appeasement to the cheering squad he felt necessary in his review.

It was excellent and if he had no issues with the A/C i may not have noticed it . .but it was very methodically written in order to avoid the flames... At least this is how I read it.. No flaming OP... I would have been pissed about the AC!

And my point about your review was not derogatory to you.. it was derogatory to the audience which flames complaints such as these..

Thanks!:)

LOL! I would have taken our pillows down and laid in front of the pursers desk;)

OP you have waaay more patience then I........

Ours hovers around $300 a month for a 2000 square foot house - but it's better that than paying for an ER trip when my son has an asthma attack from getting overheated at night! Good sleep is worth quite a bit of money in my book, and none of us would sleep well if we tried to save money by keeping the house hot at night. We do bump it up to 75 during the day when it's just me and the kids - but as soon as dh gets home, it goes down to 72.

Ours is about $350 in June, $420 for July and August and $390 in September.

Every penny worth it to allow me to sleep well and not be cranky during the day.

For what it's worth, heat and cold ARE relative to me. I lived for 30 years in south Alabama where it got to the 90s in March and from May-September it was in the high 90s, low 100s with humidity to match. To me, while living there, it seemed "OK". Then, in December 2004 I moved to northern PA (Potter county) and the temp then was about 9. I literally thought I was going to die. By May there was still over 3 feet of snow on the ground, but the temps were getting up into the 40s. I have a picture of me out on our deck in shorts because after 4 months of single to low double digit temps, 40 felt like a heat wave.

Today we live in Kentucky and 90 feels insane to me now. I cannot fathom being back in south Alabama where I see it is still getting into the high 90s, low 100s every day.

Regardless of where I live, my house is NEVER above 72 degrees. Seventy-two is my inside threshold. I would absolutely FRY at 78 and there is NO WAY I could sleep in that. To the person who said "you get used to it", I agree. I saw the change happen when I moved to Pennsylvania from a REALLY hot and humid climate. However, it took MONTHS of living in that environment for my body to adjust. Seven nights on a cruise would not do it. And again, even in the cold environment, I would open the windows at night in the 40s. We had a fireplace and LOTS of down comforters in our bedroom and it was AWESOME sleeping!!! It makes getting OUT of bed a little more difficult when it is cold in the room, but that only gives me an added excuse to stay in bed and snuggle my sweetie ;)

Another factor that comes into play is weight. Skinny(ish) people typically cannot take the cold as well as those with padding (I have padding :D). Medically speaking there is a physiological reason for temp changes as well. People who live in warmer climates have "thinner" (used very broadly, it is more technical than that) blood, the body compensates for that. So again, there are a lot of factors that make this thread ABSOLUTELY subjective.

For what it's worth, heat and cold ARE relative to me. I lived for 30 years in south Alabama where it got to the 90s in March and from May-September it was in the high 90s, low 100s with humidity to match. To me, while living there, it seemed "OK". Then, in December 2004 I moved to northern PA (Potter county) and the temp then was about 9. I literally thought I was going to die. By May there was still over 3 feet of snow on the ground, but the temps were getting up into the 40s. I have a picture of me out on our deck in shorts because after 4 months of single to low double digit temps, 40 felt like a heat wave.

Today we live in Kentucky and 90 feels insane to me now. I cannot fathom being back in south Alabama where I see it is still getting into the high 90s, low 100s every day.

Regardless of where I live, my house is NEVER above 72 degrees. Seventy-two is my inside threshold. I would absolutely FRY at 78 and there is NO WAY I could sleep in that. To the person who said "you get used to it", I agree. I saw the change happen when I moved to Pennsylvania from a REALLY hot and humid climate. However, it took MONTHS of living in that environment for my body to adjust. Seven nights on a cruise would not do it. And again, even in the cold environment, I would open the windows at night in the 40s. We had a fireplace and LOTS of down comforters in our bedroom and it was AWESOME sleeping!!! It makes getting OUT of bed a little more difficult when it is cold in the room, but that only gives me an added excuse to stay in bed and snuggle my sweetie ;)

Another factor that comes into play is weight. Skinny(ish) people typically cannot take the cold as well as those with padding (I have padding :D). Medically speaking there is a physiological reason for temp changes as well. People who live in warmer climates have "thinner" (used very broadly, it is more technical than that) blood, the body compensates for that. So again, there are a lot of factors that make this thread ABSOLUTELY subjective.

When I was a kid, we lived in a house for a short time which had no AC. This is in Texas. I remember trying to sleep at night in the summer when the temps would still be in the upper 80's or even higher in August. I'd toss and turn, trying to find that cool spot. I remember constantly turning my pillow over to get a few moments of cool sensation on my face. I would have felt immense pleasure to have 78 degrees AC! Now, I would not be happy sleeping at that temperature, particularly if the humidity was high as probably was the case on this cruise.

We're all pretty spoiled, er, I mean blessed, here.:p Much of the world has to suffer the natural environment. But it's true that when we become acclimated to a certain temperature, it's very uncomfortable to deviate from it very much.

When I was a kid, we lived in a house for a short time which had no AC. This is in Texas. I remember trying to sleep at night in the summer when the temps would still be in the upper 80's or even higher in August. I'd toss and turn, trying to find that cool spot. I remember constantly turning my pillow over to get a few moments of cool sensation on my face. I would have felt immense pleasure to have 78 degrees AC! Now, I would not be happy sleeping at that temperature, particularly if the humidity was high as probably was the case on this cruise.

We're all pretty spoiled, er, I mean blessed, here.:p Much of the world has to suffer the natural environment. But it's true that when we become acclimated to a certain temperature, it's very uncomfortable to deviate from it very much.

I agree we are blessed with being able to adjust the environmental living spaces in terms of temperature and others don't have the resources to do so. However...the original OP created this Thread to share his disappointment about his cruise.

Yes we can adapt over time, but the OP and his poor family were on vacation and there is an expectation of being able to adjust the temperature for his liking - and certainly an expectation that you can do so otherwise the cruise industry would not have A/C.

Perhaps these kind of comments can be posted elsewhere as another thread? I am not saying your points are not valid - but lets try to keep this thread on-topic. To do otherwise just makes light of the first post.

Please do not think I am being rude, if I come off that way I apologize.

I agree we are blessed with being able to adjust the environmental living spaces in terms of temperature and others don't have the resources to do so. However...the original OP created this Thread to share his disappointment about his cruise.

Yes we can adapt over time, but the OP and his poor family were on vacation and there is an expectation of being able to adjust the temperature for his liking - and certainly an expectation that you can do so otherwise the cruise industry would not have A/C.

Perhaps these kind of comments can be posted elsewhere as another thread? I am not saying your points are not valid - but lets try to keep this thread on-topic. To do otherwise just makes light of the first post.

Even though I agree that the OP had a valid complaint, and I can *definitely* empathize, I think the other observations are on point and relevant.

Why people have expectations on cruises is, IMHO, something that runs through all review-type threads. The fact that we, as Americans, usually, have a certain set of expectations is a very real piece of information that should be considered in thinking about people's reviews.

When I was a kid, we lived in a house for a short time which had no AC. This is in Texas. I remember trying to sleep at night in the summer when the temps would still be in the upper 80's or even higher in August. I'd toss and turn, trying to find that cool spot. I remember constantly turning my pillow over to get a few moments of cool sensation on my face. I would have felt immense pleasure to have 78 degrees AC! Now I would not be happy sleeping at that temperature, particularly if the humidity was high as probably was the case on this cruise.

I think the vast majority here believe your complaint to be very valid. I know I do!

Please tell me where any of my comments dispute the OP's point or suggest that his complaint was invalid.

Please tell me where any of my comments dispute the OP's point or suggest that his complaint was invalid.

Some people just do not get it, nrdsb4. Your points were crystal clear to me and are absolutely relevant to the OP's issue. In posting what I did, I did not address the OP DIRECTLY, but my inference that there is no way I could sleep when it is "hot" and my experience with attempting acute temperature changes circles it back around to relevance to the OP's point.

I understand you were a bit uncomfortable. I had a similiar situation on the Holiday, but I still fail to see where the NIGHTMARE is.

A NIGHTMARE is when a tornado comes thru and rips the roof off your house in the middle of the night. A cranky 3 yr old and a slightly warm room is not a nightmare.

I'm done. I really thought you had a real nightmare with the way you started off. This is why people get bashed here. Over exageration of complaints. I am not saying the OP exagerated what he experienced, but the title of this thread is completely misleading and an exageration.

I am wondering who died and made you judge of what is or is not a NIGHTMARE? Just curious....

You almost seem bummed out that it wasn't more tragic :confused:

Some people just do not get it, nrdsb4. Your points were crystal clear to me and are absolutely relevant to the OP's issue. In posting what I did, I did not address the OP DIRECTLY, but my inference that there is no way I could sleep when it is "hot" and my experience with attempting acute temperature changes circles it back around to relevance to the OP's point.[

I never said your points disputed the OP's, or that you are not empathetic. Perhaps I was not clear enough and I apologize...what I was trying to say was that this whole discussion of adapting to temperature, setting of house temperatures, and who likes to sleep at what temp tends to move the topic sideways and instead of folks perhaps providing greater insight to his situation or even sharing their experiences of dealing with hot staterooms and the cruiselines - which would benefit us all. I guess I must be dense but am I supposed to understand: with attempting acute temperature changes circles it back around to relevance to the OP's point.

I have said enough and caused enough controversy which was not my goal - my apologies to you all. I will read the posts with interest on this thread - but will say no more lest the temperature gets too hot! :)

Archived