Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

I hate to downplay the OP's concerns, but a cabin at 75 or even 80 degrees doesn't exactly qualify for "nightmare" status in my estimation.

We keep our home at 78 degrees in the summer when we're home (82 when we're not).

• Administrators
I totally agree with that, but the air conditioning was working wasn't it?? It just wouldn't allow to lower the thermostat (I am assuming??) so unless the air was totally shot and not working at all, the air in the room would have been 'conditioned' enough to remove humidity.

If it wasn't then it would indeed be a nightmare.

Also, I have a question to the OP...and yes, this is a personal preference question as well.

You mentioned how drastically hot the cabin became after a shower. This occurred to me last night as I was getting ready to jump in the shower. In the summer, I usually take showers/baths that are quite cool.

Sure, in the winter, I practically scald myself to get warm, but in the summer, the water is set tepid at most. If you were so uncomfortable in the cabin that you were brought to tears, why on earth would you take a shower hot enough to make the cabin seem like a sauna?

Just curious....

I don't like heat either and I do have total sympathy. But the nightmare to me would be having wasted most of my cruise trying to remedy the situation that was likely not able to be remedied.

I think the title of the thread was a bit off soleley for the fact that I read paragraph after paragraph of great comments before hearing about the AC.

again, I think the OP's review was really good and I am sorry he was so uncomfortable.

Regarding the highlighted part, I wouldn't have stopped trying to get this situation remedied, either -- until it was remedied the vacation would have been severely damaged, so it would be worth standing in line to try to fix. I think the trying to fix it part was a consequence of the "nightmare," not the nightmare itself.

I'm a "go with the flow" person but on a cruise I can think of two situations where "grin and bear it" is never going to be acceptable to me -- one would be plumbing reversals/sewage contamination in the cabin (any cabin), and the other would be broken air conditioning, especially in an inside or OV cabin.

I wouldn't be able to "make lemonade" in that scenario, because I'd be short on sleep, cranky, and basically spending the entire cruise dreading having to step into my cabin. :( I love naps on sea days -- nope, that would be out. Whether the shower was tepid or not, you (well, okay *I*) would be sweaty when I stepped in and immediately get all sweaty when stepping out and while dressing -- yuk! Instead of walking out the door fresh and ready for a new day or a fun evening, I'd look and feel like something the cat hocked up. :eek:

Even the most tolerant and good-natured among us have certain non-negotiables, and maybe I understand the OP so well because I'm in his club -- one of mine is also too-warm interior temperatures. I was once in a South Carolina hotel where the AC wouldn't work right -- it would blow, but not with cool air. After trying hard to sleep for 2 hours we got up at 1:15 AM and left, and challenged the bill on our credit card (we won). You can't get up and leave a ship in the middle of the night, so what else do you do except keep trying to work with the staff to fix it? I'll be curious to see what Carnival does, as well.

I hate to downplay the OP's concerns, but a cabin at 75 or even 80 degrees doesn't exactly qualify for "nightmare" status in my estimation.

We keep our home at 78 degrees in the summer when we're home (82 when we're not).

As so many have said on this thread, that's a personal preference thing -- what if you were in a cabin on an Alaska cruise and the heat didn't work, so the cabin was 65 degrees all the time and the cruiseline couldn't/wouldn't fix it? Nightmare for you then? You keep your home temperature according to your personal preference, and I assume you do the same on a cruise ship. That's all the OP wanted to do.

I think you are downplaying the OP's concerns because this wouldn't have bothered YOU.

I'm amazed at the people who think that if they are comfortable at a certain temperature then everyone else should be also.

That's like thinking if I like hominy, then everyone else should too.

Shay

To the OP, I can feel your pain. The temp/humidity you described would put me over the edge as well. The first night in my deck 7 cabin earlier this year on the Glory was warm (not humid though) and I actually went through the thoughts in my head that if this doesn't get better this will be a pretty uncomfortable cruise for me. I was lucky as it got much better and the rest of the time was fine but I can completly understand your issue and I think you handled it great.

Sam

Regarding the highlighted part, I wouldn't have stopped trying to get this situation remedied, either -- until it was remedied the vacation would have been severely damaged, so it would be worth standing in line to try to fix. I think the trying to fix it part was a consequence of the "nightmare," not the nightmare itself.

I'm a "go with the flow" person but on a cruise I can think of two situations where "grin and bear it" is never going to be acceptable to me -- one would be plumbing reversals/sewage contamination in the cabin (any cabin), and the other would be broken air conditioning, especially in an inside or OV cabin.

I wouldn't be able to "make lemonade" in that scenario, because I'd be short on sleep, cranky, and basically spending the entire cruise dreading having to step into my cabin. :( I love naps on sea days -- nope, that would be out. Whether the shower was tepid or not, you (well, okay *I*) would be sweaty when I stepped in and immediately get all sweaty when stepping out and while dressing -- yuk! Instead of walking out the door fresh and ready for a new day or a fun evening, I'd look and feel like something the cat hocked up. :eek:

Even the most tolerant and good-natured among us have certain non-negotiables, and maybe I understand the OP so well because I'm in his club -- one of mine is also too-warm interior temperatures. I was once in a South Carolina hotel where the AC wouldn't work right -- it would blow, but not with cool air. After trying hard to sleep for 2 hours we got up at 1:15 AM and left, and challenged the bill on our credit card (we won). You can't get up and leave a ship in the middle of the night, so what else do you do except keep trying to work with the staff to fix it? I'll be curious to see what Carnival does, as well.

I can't argue any of that because it's your opinion. I don't argue the Op's opinion either and I certainly didn't blast him for it. I have stated my thoughts and wanted to ask the Op some questions...I wasn't there in that cabin and the OP may have very well felt like he was in hell. You may have wanted to spend your vacation trying to fix that issue. I wouldn't.

As for the shower, it wasn't like he said when he stepped out he got all sweaty. I commented because he stated (something to the effect) that showering made the cabin even hotter. That leads me to believe the shower was set hot. I was just asking a question. When I am hot, the last thing I'd want to do is take a hot shower. My question was purely out of curiosity. To me, a hot, steamy shower made a 'nightmare' situation worse.

All I can go by is my experience in sleeping in the heat. Like I said, I don't have AC because we usually don't need it in Maine. But there is a week (sometimes more) usually in August that gets very hot humid and I sleep without air...Yes, it's not as nice/comfortable as when the temps dip into the 70's but it certainly isn't a nightmare to me to sleep in an 80º room. Wasting my vacation at the Pursers desk would be.

I do agree that everyone's non-negotiables are different, I just wonder how much of my vacation I would further ruin on it. I really don't know for sure. You don't know until you experience it yourself. I would however, like to think I would deal with it and not make it worse by wasting time just getting aggrivated and accomplishing nothing but a room over a noisy piano bar.

My thoughts are not about how the Op's comfort level is different than mine, MY question is, 'How much of my cruise would I ruin over an 80º cabin?'

It does when it is a humid 80 degrees!

I can't imagine the electric bill of some of you who keep your AC at 66-70 degrees!:eek:

O

Again, with little to no sleep this night...we tossed, we turned, we prayed, we cryed.

I thought this was a little over the top. But I find his complaint completely understandable.

I'm not skylock but, We keep the house at 89 when the wife sleeps and 83 for me. When we both sleep its usually at 89. So sorry, but I don't see the problem with your room temp.

I see the problem.. the OP said it was unbearable and they could not sleep. END of story. They had a right to expect and receive comfortable accomodations.

• Administrators
I can't argue any of that because it's your opinion. I don't argue the Op's opinion either and I certainly didn't blast him for it. I have stated my thoughts and wanted to ask the Op some questions...I wasn't there in that cabin and the OP may have very well felt like he was in hell. You may have wanted to spend your vacation trying to fix that issue. I wouldn't.

As for the shower, it wasn't like he said when he stepped out he got all sweaty. I commented because he stated (something to the effect) that showering made the cabin even hotter. That leads me to believe the shower was set hot. I was just asking a question. When I am hot, the last thing I'd want to do is take a hot shower. My question was purely out of curiosity. To me, a hot, steamy shower made a 'nightmare' situation worse.

All I can go by is my experience in sleeping in the heat. Like I said, I don't have AC because we usually don't need it in Maine. But there is a week (sometimes more) usually in August that gets very hot humid and I sleep without air...Yes, it's not as nice/comfortable as when the temps dip into the 70's but it certainly isn't a nightmare to me to sleep in an 80º room. Wasting my vacation at the Pursers desk would be.

I do agree that everyone's non-negotiables are different, I just wonder how much of my vacation I would further ruin on it. I really don't know for sure. You don't know until you experience it yourself. I would however, like to think I would deal with it and not make it worse by wasting time just getting aggrivated and accomplishing nothing but a room over a noisy piano bar.

My thoughts are not about how the Op's comfort level is different than mine, MY question is, 'How much of my cruise would I ruin over an 80º cabin?'

I wasn't trying to argue, nor did I suggest that you blasted the OP -- I'm sorry if I left that impression. I was more trying to raise a hand and say "me, too -- I'm in his club" and answer some of your questions to explain why I also would have spent time with the purser trying to fix this.

It really would be THAT big a deal, having had such a negative impact on the vacation that anything that could be done to make it better would be appreciated, and time spent trying to make that happen couldn't make the vacation any worse. The noisy piano bar wouldn't have bothered me (we usually sleep with the tv on anyway), so in my case that resolution wouldn't have been a waste of time.

JAS1178 --

My family will be on the Glory in September and also visitng Nassau. You mentioned going by taxi to visit Atlantis. How much of the resort did you get to see? Was this something you did on your own? I hate to pay for an excursion considering the short stay.

It really would be THAT big a deal, having had such a negative impact on the vacation that anything that could be done to make it better would be appreciated, and time spent trying to make that happen couldn't make the vacation any worse. .

All other comments I could definitely understand even if I didn't totally agree, except that one. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one for sure ;)

I'm not skylock but, We keep the house at 89 when the wife sleeps and 83 for me. When we both sleep its usually at 89. So sorry, but I don't see the problem with your room temp.

89?! Is this a typo?!:eek:

• Administrators
All other comments I could definitely understand even if I didn't totally agree, except that one. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one for sure ;)

:) I probably should add that I certainly wouldn't have been happy about spending my vacation time trying to resolve it -- that's one reason I'm curious to see what Carnival will do for the OP -- it wasn't just the cabin issue, it was the time lost trying to deal with it.

:) I probably should add that I certainly wouldn't have been happy about spending my vacation time trying to resolve it -- that's one reason I'm curious to see what Carnival will do for the OP -- it wasn't just the cabin issue, it was the time lost trying to deal with it.

I try not to do things that make me unhappy. It's a quirk of mine ;)

These are my thoughts on compensation.

From my reading issues on this board and from personal experience, time wasted is just that...wasted.

CCL seems to be more compassionate and 'generous' when you go home after a cruise and write them a clear, well thought out/written letter about any issue you had. Seems to me, they won't do any better for the OP because he wasted his time. In fact, he may wind up with less. If he didn't write them (and just complained on board) and hasn't recieved anything yet, he may wind up with nothing....nothing but a wasted vacation.

I think you are downplaying the OP's concerns because this wouldn't have bothered YOU.

Yeah, and that makes no sense at all. Bottom line, people want/expect/need certain things on their vacation, and as long as those things are not out of line for the situation, they have every right to be disappointed when they don't get them. Whether or not YOU care is pretty irrelevant.

On the first Fantasy cruise after refurb last fall, the karaoke lounge was being used the entire time by a poker final, so karaoke instead took place in a smaller lounge that didn't have good equipment. The karaoke was shown on a 13 inch tv precariously perched on a chair, and there was no screen for the audience to see the words. We enjoy watching karaoke on our cruises, but we didn't bother with it that week because it just wasn't nearly as fun under those circumstances. It didn't detract from our cruise, but I KNOW there are a few people who would have been extremely disappointed about the setup and who would have come home feeling somewhat cheated out of an enjoyable facet of their vacation. I even remarked to dh that I was really glad LHP wasn't on that sailing with us, because it would have been a shame for her to miss out on the good karaoke experience. On that same cruise, the new waterslides were not functional until the very end - we booked that cruise so our kids could enjoy the waterworks area, and all they really got to do was LOOK at it. That WAS extremely disappointing to us, and it did put a damper on our week, as our children were quite upset that they couldn't go on the slides they'd been looking forward to for months (and that I had shown them the artist renderings of, and told them how much fun they'd have on them). In addition, the new serenity deck's hot tubs were not functional at all on that sailing, and I was pretty bummed about that. I'm sure 75% of the people on the cruise with us couldn't have cared less that the waterworks and hot tubs were not functioning - but it didn't make our disappointment any less valid.

I can't imagine the electric bill of some of you who keep your AC at 66-70 degrees!:eek:

Ours hovers around $300 a month for a 2000 square foot house - but it's better that than paying for an ER trip when my son has an asthma attack from getting overheated at night! Good sleep is worth quite a bit of money in my book, and none of us would sleep well if we tried to save money by keeping the house hot at night. We do bump it up to 75 during the day when it's just me and the kids - but as soon as dh gets home, it goes down to 72.

To the people who love their houses to be 79 degrees (and the one who likes it 89... :eek: :eek: :eek: ) what if your cabin was set at 65 and you couldn't change it? You'd be MISERABLE.

And let's not forget that these people weren't getting any SLEEP!!!! Take that into consideration.

And some of you may love the sound of a piano and a bunch of people singing when trying to go to sleep. I could NEVER sleep with that. The sound of a person turning a page in a book wakes me up.

And why would so many of you question the validity of trying to remedy a situation that's obviously not fixable? Why on EARTH would anyone assume repairing an a/c is not fixable? It most certainly is and we all deserve to be able to set the a/c to OUR OWN LIKING when on vacation.

I...just...don't...get...this.

Discomfort is not a "nightmare".

Only when it doesn't involve you....

The first night would have been discomfort, the second and third night would be nightmares for me too....

I HATE having a hot room when I sleep. We live in a very humid part of the country so yes we keep the air on and yes it is set at a low temp. (ie: 69 - 73) I would have been miserable on that cruise!

To the OP...thanks for the review. Very informative in a very nice way. From personal experience:rolleyes: Hell hath no fury like a cranky 3 yr old.....terrible 2s not so much....but 3s.....a whole different story. We live in south florida....our thermostat is 75 during the day, and 71 at night. 78 is uncomfy.....and needs to be addressed. It is kind of funny that after you bought the thermometer you were moved. You sound like you were far more controlled than I would have been.

The nightmare is being dismissed out of hand. They knew you had a legitimate complaint....but they did not want to deal with it. Good for you for the tip situation. It was very thoughtful.

Only when it doesn't involve you....

The first night would have been discomfort, the second and third night would be nightmares for me too....

I HATE having a hot room when I sleep. We live in a very humid part of the country so yes we keep the air on and yes it is set at a low temp. (ie: 69 - 73) I would have been miserable on that cruise!

We've had at least 2 cabins that were REALLY warm! Our friends 2 doors down was very cool and comfy! Sleeping in the heat was horrible (or shouldd I say NOT sleeping!)...they said there were no fans or other rooms...but also with the non-sleeping, there is also the getting dressed and ready for the day or dinner! Luckily, my outfits for formal night were dark blue or black...so sweat didn't show...but my hair is wet in most pictures! And I take cold showers! :(

I'm SO hoping this next cruise has a cool room for us!!!!!!

I totally agree with that, but the air conditioning was working wasn't it?? It just wouldn't allow to lower the thermostat (I am assuming??) so unless the air was totally shot and not working at all, the air in the room would have been 'conditioned' enough to remove humidity. If it wasn't then it would indeed be a nightmare.

On this class of ships, the thermostat is a knob on the wall that goes from red to blue. It was all the way blue. The vent was all the way open but there was very little air flow coming in. So no, it was not conditioning the room.

Also, I have a question to the OP...and yes, this is a personal preference question as well.

You mentioned how drastically hot the cabin became after a shower. This occurred to me last night as I was getting ready to jump in the shower. In the summer, I usually take showers/baths that are quite cool.

Sure, in the winter, I practically scald myself to get warm, but in the summer, the water is set tepid at most. If you were so uncomfortable in the cabin that you were brought to tears, why on earth would you take a shower hot enough to make the cabin seem like a sauna?

Just curious....

I would say the temperature used in the shower was a bit warmer than tepid. Definitely wasn't a HOT shower.

Keep in mind, I shared the positives first, but when you put in perspective attending a show that is good utterly exausted from no sleep, even the most awesome show cannot be fully enjoyed. Same with dinner...food was good, and probably would have been better with sleep. The positives were comparative to past cruises and not in the context of the experience.

Archived